Post by -TW- »

It's a split round, round 1 is played over 2 weekends

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders snubbed by NRL for Las Vegas double header

Post by Green Blogger »

This decision shows the NRL does not understand the US market they are trying to break into. The strongest connection they had was bringing the Australian Raiders to the home of the US Raiders. Americans have no connection or interest beyond the NFL and the NRL powers that be just threw that connection out the window.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Green Blogger wrote: August 11, 2023, 2:46 pm This decision shows the NRL does not understand the US market they are trying to break into. The strongest connection they had was bringing the Australian Raiders to the home of the US Raiders. Americans have no connection or interest beyond the NFL and the NRL powers that be just threw that connection out the window.
I was unaware the NRL are trying to break into the US market.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:I’ll add that our next home game is “On Deadly Ground”, Jarrod Croker is “Half Past Dead”, DFJ missed his “Executive Decision” and Ben Cummins is “Marked for Death”.

Little did I know how great my promotional idea was. Forget Jackman and Crowe. Seagal all the way.
Depends on how much the Bidens are willing to chip in.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: August 11, 2023, 2:09 pm
Botman wrote:
BJ wrote: August 11, 2023, 1:51 pm Manly because Wolverine Jackman is involved.
The new Deadpool movie is slated for a February release, so he'll be all over the press in the lead up
Good chance to get a very recognisable star who will be coming off a major release to promote the game and try and sell the product.

If that is indeed the plan i think that's fine
Raiders need to get Steven Seagal as our movie star ambassador.

He has a new film coming out every fortnight. We can align our home games with his film releases and double the publicity and exposure. Tagline: The Raiders are Under Siege.
My dad has seen every single Steven Seagal film ever made, even as late as Attrition and Beyond the Law, both which he tracked down, watched and immediately rung me to tell me Seagal "still has it"
There are a lot of things i love about my old man, but this fact is top 3. :lol:
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

-PJ- wrote: August 11, 2023, 2:53 pm
Green Blogger wrote: August 11, 2023, 2:46 pm This decision shows the NRL does not understand the US market they are trying to break into. The strongest connection they had was bringing the Australian Raiders to the home of the US Raiders. Americans have no connection or interest beyond the NFL and the NRL powers that be just threw that connection out the window.
I was unaware the NRL are trying to break into the US market.
Straight from the press release:

“The 2024 Las Vegas matches will form part of an exciting ‘Australia Week’ in Las Vegas where we will be showcasing rugby league and Australia to the US market,” Mr Abdo said.

My point stands. Whoever the marketing geniuses are at the NRL who could not figure out that the Raiders connection is important in Las Vegas and the NFL market in relation to this venture should be sacked. Then again, the marketing team probably pushed that line hard but the NRL executives could not take that line without removing one of their favoured teams from the mix.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman. I am your father.

No. I stopped Seagal films sometime many moons ago. But credit to your dad for playing the long game. Seagal’s only ever one film away from the new Lawrence of Arabia or Citizen Kane.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Shame we are not included , not that I could have gone.
Raiders with the connection to the NFL Raiders would have been a good link . Missed opportunity.
NRL has definitely got plans to take a piece of the US sports market. Even a small piece would be financially huge for the NRL.

1 positive , we won't be stuffed from the travel , 1 less excuse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the Sea Eagles and Roosters agreed to be the home teams, so that would have counted in their favour. Of course, the NRL could never, ever expect the Brisbane Broncos to play a home game away.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

The fact that the best team in the NRL for the past 3 or so years is not going says absolutely everything about the NRL.
The team that shouldn’t be there is the Roosters!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've got no issue with us not going. We play a boring, uninspiring style. Not great advertising. And I'm quite happy for our team not to have to deal with jet lag in the first few weeks of a new season.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Riaan wrote: August 11, 2023, 5:32 pm The fact that the best team in the NRL for the past 3 or so years is not going says absolutely everything about the NRL.
I’m pretty sure Penrith didn’t want to go
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

:lol: Of course it’s a Donkeys away game..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

:thumbsup
Finchy wrote: August 11, 2023, 5:50 pm
Riaan wrote: August 11, 2023, 5:32 pm The fact that the best team in the NRL for the past 3 or so years is not going says absolutely everything about the NRL.
I’m pretty sure Penrith didn’t want to go
And fair enough too, a premiership hangover leading into a WCC doesn’t give them much rest.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wow, who would have thought.

Manly vs Brisbane and Souths vs Roosters was always going to be the plan.

All good. Can't wait for us playing in a few years time.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green Blogger wrote:This decision shows the NRL does not understand the US market they are trying to break into. The strongest connection they had was bringing the Australian Raiders to the home of the US Raiders. Americans have no connection or interest beyond the NFL and the NRL powers that be just threw that connection out the window.
Actually if they truly understood the US market they wouldn't be bothering with this at all. We're not cracking that market. I repeatedly attempted to show - supposed sports nuts - a rugby league game, State of origin in fact. And the response was one of boredom, not giving a **** and an unwillingness to even attempt to understand or care about the game. Americans are the most insular, closed minded sports fans on earth. They have their sports and they don't care for others.

And as an aside Steven Seagull sucks ****. He's is an alleged sex offender and disowned by America. Dude has switched allegiances to Russia.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Don’t you know the Stephen Seagal issues are just an FBI plot.

Surely you knew the Seagal stuff was a joke.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

gergreg wrote: August 11, 2023, 8:51 pm
Green Blogger wrote:This decision shows the NRL does not understand the US market they are trying to break into. The strongest connection they had was bringing the Australian Raiders to the home of the US Raiders. Americans have no connection or interest beyond the NFL and the NRL powers that be just threw that connection out the window.
Actually if they truly understood the US market they wouldn't be bothering with this at all. We're not cracking that market. I repeatedly attempted to show - supposed sports nuts - a rugby league game, State of origin in fact. And the response was one of boredom, not giving a **** and an unwillingness to even attempt to understand or care about the game. Americans are the most insular, closed minded sports fans on earth. They have their sports and they don't care for others.

And as an aside Steven Seagull sucks ****. He's is an alleged sex offender and disowned by America. Dude has switched allegiances to Russia.
This.

I work for an American company and speak to all sorts of them every day.

I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 50 of them have even heard of rugby.

Of those, I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 1000 have heard of rugby league.

And I'd imagine only a fraction of them are interested in a new sport - especially from a country as remote as Australia, where Paul Hogan would be the common frame of reference.

Nationally, that's probably still a good few people, but it's not going to be enough to crack anything.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

Botman wrote: August 11, 2023, 1:57 pm
The new Deadpool movie is slated for a February release, so he'll be all over the press in the lead up
Good chance to get a very recognisable star who will be coming off a major release to promote the game and try and sell the product.

Deadpool 3 has been removed from Disney's release schedule because of the SAG-AFTRA strike. It's unlikely that it'll come out before the 4th quarter next year or later depending on how long the strike drags on for.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders snubbed by NRL for Las Vegas double header

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Don’t you know the Stephen Seagal issues are just an FBI plot.

Surely you knew the Seagal stuff was a joke.
Shirley not.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

Actually the best studies shows that the most effective marketing tactic since the start of the social media age is celebrity or influencer endorsement. So getting as many celebrities involved in marketing the game as possible, then mass marketing for an extended period, would probably be the NRL's best bet of craving out a niche in the American market if that is their goal.

From that perspective the only outlier is the Roosters. Souths and Manly make complete sense because of their connections to A-listers, and having the Broncos there to try and keep the Murdoch's in the loop makes a lot of sense as well.

I doubt that the NRL actually seriously believes that they can crack the US market anyway, and PVL has made it very clear in the past that these games in Vegas are about trying to tap into the US betting market, which is a very different thing than trying to break into the sports market.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Badger17 wrote: August 12, 2023, 12:28 am

Deadpool 3 has been removed from Disney's release schedule because of the SAG-AFTRA strike. It's unlikely that it'll come out before the 4th quarter next year or later depending on how long the strike drags on for.
Ah right
That makes sense and also sucks :(
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: August 12, 2023, 11:18 am
Badger17 wrote: August 12, 2023, 12:28 am

Ah right
That makes sense and also sucks :(
Tell me you need a life without telling me you need a life 🤣
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Badger17 wrote:
Actually the best studies shows that the most effective marketing tactic since the start of the social media age is celebrity or influencer endorsement. So getting as many celebrities involved in marketing the game as possible, then mass marketing for an extended period, would probably be the NRL's best bet of craving out a niche in the American market if that is their goal.

From that perspective the only outlier is the Roosters. Souths and Manly make complete sense because of their connections to A-listers, and having the Broncos there to try and keep the Murdoch's in the loop makes a lot of sense as well.

I doubt that the NRL actually seriously believes that they can crack the US market anyway, and PVL has made it very clear in the past that these games in Vegas are about trying to tap into the US betting market, which is a very different thing than trying to break into the sports market.
Yep, this is 99.5% about gambling. That's why it's in Vegas.

The rest is a promotional gimmick.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Geez I hope Magic Round in Brissie next year is a Donkeys away game as well.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:Geez I hope Magic Round in Brissie next year is a Donkeys away game as well.
It really is a farce.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Badger17 wrote: August 12, 2023, 12:57 am

Tell that to Bud :roflmao
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Las Vegas already has the Raiders, but could they also be overrun by the Canberra Raiders?

Post by nachopants »

The Nickman wrote: May 26, 2023, 5:12 am
greeneyed wrote:I’d be very tempted to go.
****, you’d love Vegas, Ferg. Me and you, hitting the tables and drinking for fourteen days solid, it’s the best!
Um, excuse me, hello? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Las Vegas already has the Raiders, but could they also be overrun by the Canberra Raiders?

Post by greeneyed »

nachopants wrote: August 13, 2023, 12:39 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 26, 2023, 5:12 am
greeneyed wrote:I’d be very tempted to go.
****, you’d love Vegas, Ferg. Me and you, hitting the tables and drinking for fourteen days solid, it’s the best!
Um, excuse me, hello? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi :hi
Well it's not happening now... :(
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 11, 2023, 5:48 pm I've got no issue with us not going. We play a boring, uninspiring style. Not great advertising. And I'm quite happy for our team not to have to deal with jet lag in the first few weeks of a new season.
Based on what we saw against the Storm today, it would have been a case of the NRL shooting themselves in the foot if it had included the Raiders.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Unfair,

Espcially after we played today like we just had a bender in Vegas.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

On MMM today Peter Vlandys said all clubs will get a trip to Vegas in the next 5yrs.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote:On MMM today Peter Vlandys said all clubs will get a trip to Vegas in the next 5yrs.
No doubt some will get multiple
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 13, 2023, 4:59 pm
-PJ- wrote:On MMM today Peter Vlandys said all clubs will get a trip to Vegas in the next 5yrs.
No doubt some will get multiple
17 teams, 4 teams every year..5yr deal.

So yeah Broncos will go 5 times.