Raiders sign Morgan Smithies on three year deal from 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders set to sign Morgan Smithies from 2024

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2023, 10:19 am Smithies looks like a traditional "middle" style lock forward. But Horsburgh has been evolving into a player with more skills in attack, and fitter. So perhaps he can also cover Whitehead being spelled. They won't be recruiting Smithies from England not to play him in firsts, we can be pretty sure of that. Recruited players (eg Levi and Saulo) seem to come on that promise.

The alternative way to look at Smithies is that he is a high involvement defender, like Whitehead. But Whitehead gets lots of traffic as he misses a lot of tackles (and doesn't do a lot of damage in defence). Smithies doesn't miss a lot of tackles (tackle efficiency over 95 per cent). So there's an improvement likely there if he substitutes for Whitehead. Maybe Stuart hopes to develop his threat in attack. But then again he only made three offloads this year, 77 average running metres and 21 tackle breaks.
Contender for joke of the month.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: October 17, 2023, 9:28 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 17, 2023, 9:19 am
Botman wrote: October 17, 2023, 8:58 am obviously he’s a talented player so that’s good

But I can’t pretend it’s not a little disappointing we’ve added yet another body, even if it’s a pretty high quality one, into a middle forward rotation that is already so log jammed that we can’t reliably get Trey Mooney NRL opportunities.

At least it sounds like he’s a legit 13 though so that’s something very positive
Those were my initial thoughts too but if we're able to move on a prop then I don't mind it at all. We've got Saulo and Hola going into the 1 November market, if one of them are able to find a deal elsewhere then we should be looking at an early release if possible.
Yeah we really aught to be trying to offload a middle forward or two, take on freight if we have to, we have the cap to absorb it.
And look, you cant complain about adding quality talent and this guy seems to be a quality talent so not complaining

but we're overinvested in middles and the edge forward problem HAS to be addressed.
Agree there 100% but as I outlined here https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1962524 I don't see us addressing the second row question until 2025 which is frustrating. If we offload a middle forward, we've got one spot left in the top 30 and I'm certain it will be filled with a journeyman halfback as we're currently one man short. I think we can make it work for one season though provided we get some minutes out of Smithies or Mooney at second row so Whitehead isn't playing the full 80 mins each week.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Timbo wrote: October 17, 2023, 8:41 am Club: Loses tonnes of first grade experience, signs noone.

Fans on GH: Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, why haven't we signed anyone! We need some experience!

Club: Signs player with 100+ games of experience, Grand Final winner, English test player.

Fans on GH: Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's not the player I wanted.

**** hell you lot.
Who exactly is "you lot"? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

If this guy is coming as a lock I'm deeply disappointed.

Pretty much would put a red line through Puru and Mooney for next year IMO, knowing Ricky's lovefest with Guler and Saulo.

If we have him earmarked as a second rower I'm more interested however I've hardly heard any glowing endorsements for him in that role.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Coastalraider wrote: October 17, 2023, 4:29 am Tackle machine.
Another grinder?

He’ll fit right in!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Smithers
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I hope he doesn’t treat our club like Jonneh did.

You know, demand an upgrade, throw the toys and go home.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

All the posts I've read on other socials from Wigan fans say they're deeply saddened to lose him and he's only gone from strength to strength in the last two seasons.

I choose to be excited.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Looks a good player in an area we need to vastly improve, our defence. Time will tell on his attack. Some Englishmen have adapted quickly to the speed of the NRL, EW for one in his early days. Mr. Posh has mentioned Smithies before. I look forward to his assessment.

I also hope he is not the last of the off season signings from England. We are prepared to pay transfer fees for Smithies so lets look at Jack Welsby who can play anywhere from 1 to 6.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

RedRaider wrote: October 17, 2023, 1:22 pm Looks a good player in an area we need to vastly improve, our defence. Time will tell on his attack. Some Englishmen have adapted quickly to the speed of the NRL, EW for one in his early days. Mr. Posh has mentioned Smithies before. I look forward to his assessment.

I also hope he is not the last of the off season signings from England. We are prepared to pay transfer fees for Smithies so lets look at Jack Welsby who can play anywhere from 1 to 6.
Now that would be a good transfer. Welsby would be a massive win for the club....
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

afgtnk wrote: October 17, 2023, 12:45 pm Smithers

I think we can all agree it’s a great name.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just need to sign a Burns and we'll be set

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Any chance Ricky patches things up with Georgy williams in the process? 👀 Wishful thinking.. I know🙄🤷🏾‍♂️
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders keen on Englishman Morgan Smithies

The Raiders have their sights on Wigan lock Morgan Smithies after he tackled his way to the English Super League title. He's contracted to Wigan until the end of 2025 - meaning they'd have to pay a transfer fee if the Warriors were willing to let him go. Because he's on-contract, discussions haven't progressed to the point of talking about contract length.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Timbo wrote: October 17, 2023, 8:41 am Club: Loses tonnes of first grade experience, signs noone.

Fans on GH: Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, why haven't we signed anyone! We need some experience!

Club: Signs player with 100+ games of experience, Grand Final winner, English test player.

**** hell you lot.
When u have 9 middles, incl rep guys in the starting spots and a bunch of young kids who are ready, and have been road blocked already, why add another middle??? Esp when there are only 3 edges on the roster, 1 of which has serious health concerns? This is the position of need, not middle.

Getting experience and talent is important but u still have to build a balanced roster.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: October 17, 2023, 5:58 pm

**** hell you lot.
When u have 9 middles, incl rep guys in the starting spots and a bunch of young kids who are ready, and have been road blocked already, why add another middle??? Esp when there are only 3 edges on the roster, 1 of which has serious health concerns? This is the position of need, not middle.

Getting experience and talent is important but u still have to build a balanced roster.
That’s only if you believe prop and lock are the same thing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

A short evaluation from my mate in the UK who knows his stuff:

"Yeh he’s good. Plays in the middle and he’s a tough ****. Likes winding everyone up too.
Only downside, he’s a bit of a loose canon so in the soft modern game he gives a few penalties away etc"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: October 17, 2023, 6:05 pm
Matt wrote: October 17, 2023, 5:58 pm

**** hell you lot.

That’s only if you believe prop and lock are the same thing.
Between Horse, Puru and Mooney I don't need another lock. Ideally Whitey is in the mix there too, coz we have more edges
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Smiddy not selected for the England squad. I've not seen him play or heard of him until this signing announcement but I am OUTRAGED that he's been overlooked for selection.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Another Raider snubbed for rep honours
DISGRACEFUL
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Sid wrote: October 17, 2023, 7:00 pm Smiddy not selected for the England squad. I've not seen him play or heard of him until this signing announcement but I am OUTRAGED that he's been overlooked for selection.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Not going to lie - was slightly outraged when I saw his name missing :lol:
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

SeeBee101 wrote: October 17, 2023, 7:14 am Hmm could Ricky put Smithies at 13 and horse in the 2nd row permanently?
I won't be shocked to see Horse spending a fair bit of time in the 12 jersey next season as a gap filler until we get someone for 2025.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If we are going to be subbing in young and inexperienced 6 and 1, then a tough and experienced forward pack will be important.

Mooney and Mariota are going to need big offseasons to get minutes in this pack. Which is a good thing.
Strong platform for young and talented players to do their thing.

If we announce another decent edge we can squeeze out of an NRL roster (cowboys/Roosters) I’ll feel much more confident
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to pay six figure transfer fee Super League star Morgan Smithies

Canberra is expected to agree a six-figure transfer fee with Super League champions Wigan in coming days as the Raiders prepare to add emerging English star Morgan Smithies to their ranks for next season. The Raiders have been locked in talks with Smithies’ agent, Liam Ayoub, and Wigan officials for weeks.

The parties are close to reaching an agreement, which would pave the way for Smithies to move to the nation’s capital on a deal that could stretch to as many as three years.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 09b1601db2
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm only basing it on others thoughts (re: tackling machine), but there's absolutely nothing wrong with us getting him considering how diabolical our defence was last season.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

President Clinton wrote:

I was thinking Smiths chips, and being a stinking pom I'm not sure whether Salt n vinegar or Cheese and onion is the better option.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'll set my expectations low and hope he exceeds them.

Thankfully the pommy forwards usually go OK. Seems like a tough dude. That certainly can't hurt.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Glad we finally got a new signing that is not a reserve grader like the Newcastle guy and Weekes. He didn't make the England squad yet Bateman, Whitehead and Radley did, which is a concern. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a Harry Rushton or Jordan Turner
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Dusty wrote: October 17, 2023, 6:14 pm A short evaluation from my mate in the UK who knows his stuff:

"Yeh he’s good. Plays in the middle and he’s a tough ****. Likes winding everyone up too.
Only downside, he’s a bit of a loose canon so in the soft modern game he gives a few penalties away etc"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad to have an enforcer in the side of younger players are coming through.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

afgtnk wrote:Smithers
Will be great when we get stupid sexy Sanders
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 18, 2023, 4:23 am Glad we finally got a new signing that is not a reserve grader like the Newcastle guy and Weekes. He didn't make the England squad yet Bateman, Whitehead and Radley did, which is a concern. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a Harry Rushton or Jordan Turner
Harry Rushton is still only 21 and a good up and coming player. No comparison with Jordan Turner.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 18, 2023, 6:23 am
afgtnk wrote:Smithers
Will be great when we get stupid sexy Sanders
No transfer fee too. So we get him for "nothing at all."
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

We seem to have problems in closing out the deal….

Sanders -> to be confirmed
Weekes -> to be confirmed
Smithies -> to be confirmed

We only have Sasagi confirmed.

Happy to be corrected. :hmmm
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gerg wrote: October 17, 2023, 9:17 pm
President Clinton wrote:

I was thinking Smiths chips, and being a stinking pom I'm not sure whether Salt n vinegar or Cheese and onion is the better option.
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 18, 2023, 4:23 am Glad we finally got a new signing that is not a reserve grader like the Newcastle guy and Weekes. He didn't make the England squad yet Bateman, Whitehead and Radley did, which is a concern. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a Harry Rushton or Jordan Turner
VERY harsh on Rushton. He was having a very similar yr to the 1 Puru just had, or the past 2 yrs Mooney had, the yr Harry debuted. It was very much a coaching thing that stopped him from making an impact.... that and a broken jaw co-insiding with Covid.