Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by BadnMean »

gerg wrote: October 21, 2023, 1:00 pm
BadnMean wrote:
PNGRaider37 wrote: October 21, 2023, 10:30 am In what world is JAC a marquee signing. He's a winger with pace. He's not a game changer.
If Stewart is going to be FB, we already have Savage as an option for a speedster on the wing. With the upside of being younger, 1/3 the price and is decent FB cover too. Then you'd have a speedster on one wing and a bigger body like Rapa or Cotric on the other.

I'm not sure meeting JAC's price would be worth it. Rather go hard at an edge or a half or a hooker.
You and I both agree on Savage but it looks like the coach doesn't. Maybe he'd be more willing to give JAC a go.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for us to buy JAC because I agree he isn't what we should be looking for, as far as high profile recruits - and because of the Savage situation. I just think it's interesting that our fans complain about not being able to attract good players to our club, but when discussing or speculating on players on or soon to be on the open market some posters can dismiss them as not being a good player. JAC is a good player and a wonderful finisher. 90% of this forum has been complaining about our lack of speed for the past 3 years and that is his greatest attribute.
You're right there.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

They said Addo Carr was on something like $7-750k for the last couple of years of his contract. I’d take him, but I doubt Bulldogs would carry much more than $1-150k.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’m not advocating we go and sign JAC, he doesn’t fit our time line and he wouldn’t come for anything that is reasonable for a winger

but the idea that we’d be better off with Schiller over JAC?
Please. Your galaxy braining yourself into oblivion with that garbage. If Schiller isnt 1/5th of the player JAC is right now.
:lol:

Be serious, people.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

gerg wrote: October 21, 2023, 1:02 pm
PNGRaider37 wrote:
gerg wrote: October 21, 2023, 11:21 am
PNGRaider37 wrote:In what world is JAC a marquee signing. He's a winger with pace. He's not a game changer.
Two time premiership player. Played a lot of rep football at the highest level. Up there in discussions of the best winger in the game, during the majority of his career.

There isn't a single player in our club that has won an NRL premiership. And with Jack leaving we don't have a backline player in a top tier international team. Note - Timoko debuting today.

Not a game changer marquee player apparently and a player fans of this club don't want?
So... not a game changer or marquee like if it was say jahrome hughes or munster.. a dime a dozen winger. yep. Got it.
LOL

Dime a dozen. Ok. We can agree to disagree. I guess regularly being selected for the Kangaroos makes you a dime a dozen player.
U dont get cam munsters for a dime 🤷🏾‍♂️ all Im sayin. Agree to disagree... As i said, marquee game changer, JAC aint that for me
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Well i brought up Jac on here and everyone still going on about it lol, now i have another one today, ryan papenhauzen from storm , reportedly being shopped around, he could look good in green an also add more speed which i love , what does everyone think??

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Papenhayzun would be great

Tbh I’d be satisfied with savage in the 1. But if you have papenhayzen and savage in the same side we are no longer a slow side that can’t finish a try…
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

You’d want Storm to pay a fair bit of freight to take the risk on him, especially since it roadblocks Stewart for at least a season.

Maybe they could get Turbo and Papz and get a full season out of them combined.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not a risk you’d take. The Storm know when to offload a player, no doubt on that.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: October 21, 2023, 4:39 pm I’m not advocating we go and sign JAC, he doesn’t fit our time line and he wouldn’t come for anything that is reasonable for a winger

but the idea that we’d be better off with Schiller over JAC?
Please. Your galaxy braining yourself into oblivion with that garbage. If Schiller isnt 1/5th of the player JAC is right now.
:lol:

Be serious, people.
My point about preference of Schiller over Bra boy addo Carr was more about a proper fit into the clubs culture and structure, we don't need another dumb player in this squad.
And boy is addo Carr dumb.
He offers speed and nothing else. Not even the fastest man on the planet anymore, he wouldn't even be the fastest in our squad
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Not a risk you’d take. The Storm know when to offload a player, no doubt on that.
We didn’t have a single issue with Storm offloads Curtis Scott and Sisa Waqa.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Papenhousen? For sure 100% you take that player any time you can. Paps is a star FB by any measure, top 5 in his position. Basically what you hope Stewart might one day turn into a few years down the track.

It's not really a thing though, beyond the theoretical.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

100% have a crack at Papenhuyzen. He is an unbelievable player. Would definitely get Stewart and possibly Savage's nose out of joint but Papenhuyzen is worth it. He is a star now. Chevy and Xavier are potential stars. The $ value would be an important part of it though. 7-800k would be good buying.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I find it hard to believe that they would put this Faalongo kid over Papenhuyzen. It must be a slow news day.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Wonder which club it is. I wouldn't think many clubs would have cap space besides us, St George and Dolphins

Melbourne sure know how to offload or not resign players at the right time though. Don't think JAC, Bromwich brothers and other than a few games, Brandon Smith and Kaufusi have been impressive or value for money. Olam is probably on his way out as well.

Don't even talk about Curtis Scott.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Bluesbrother wrote: October 22, 2023, 9:44 am I find it hard to believe that they would put this Faalongo kid over Papenhuyzen. It must be a slow news day.
They will play Meaney there until the young kid is ready. Paps on a higher wage will be surplus to them.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Their kid is first grade ready now. Super quick and surprisingly strong. I think they will try to move paps on but know they can't whilst he is injured but can't wait until the kid can negotiate with clubs.
If your a club looking for a fullback you would absolutely offer 500k 3 or 4 year contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The injury risk for Paps now is fairly considerable and it’s yet to be seen how he returns from these significant injuries

A shame too, he’s was a wonderful player prior to the injuries
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

based on this year and the development of Kris at fb for the most of the year (did a great job btw) and the non selection of Xav, I cant think of any club that needs a fb more then Canberra at the moment
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:The injury risk for Paps now is fairly considerable and it’s yet to be seen how he returns from these significant injuries

Yes, huge risk. Back to back serious leg injuries, virtually a full year out of the game. Not worth the risk IMO.

This is what happens when you try to convert a genuine speedster into a 'tough carry' guy. Everyone thinks he is courageous doing it, but it's stupid and potentially a career ender.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I'd take Lil Papi in a heartbeat. It would be a huge pick up for us.

1. Papenhauzen
2. Savage
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Cotric/Rapana
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies

14. Weekes
15. Horsburgh
16. Mooney
17. Mariota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I wonder which club Pap was shopped to? Bulldogs? Can't think of too many clubs that would be desperately interested. Possibly the Eels to move Gutherson. That would be a huge pick up for them.

Gold coast will be interesting to see what happens with Aj brimson, Jayden Campbell and Keano Kini. You would have to imagine 1 of those 3 will leave.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Imagine if we had Papenhuyzen, JAC and Savage in the same team. Would be exciting !!

I'm all for signing both Paps and JAC. Both would be upgrades to current incumbents and better than signing reserve graders from Newcastle and Manly. Better than keeping plodders on our books that are no better than NSW Cup standard or upgrading and overpaying veterans. Paps is a big risk, but we didn't get Keaon, Fifita and ain't getting the likes of Ezra Man and Luai (even if we were interested in the latter).

We can continue to moan about our situation and watch the world pass by. Think about this: we offered Wighton $1.2 million and although he's hardly injured, that was a risk given the value that he has produced. Get Melbourne and Canterbury to contribute.

Still need some creators though and a coach that would allow them to play even if they were to join !
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Bellamy does have form in shopping players to us when he’s done with them.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: October 22, 2023, 11:41 am The injury risk for Paps now is fairly considerable and it’s yet to be seen how he returns from these significant injuries

Yep.we seen how knee injuries can ruin a player (Campo)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

At the right price Papenhuyzen would be a decent gamble for most clubs. He could work out like Tedesco, or turn out like Campese and be a shadow of his former self.

Pretty rare for players of that ilk to come back from such a serious knee issue and then a horrific broken leg and recover that speed. His game relies on it.

Personally, I think if he loses even 5% of his raw top speed he's nowhere near the same player.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

NoMan wrote: October 22, 2023, 7:51 am You’d want Storm to pay a fair bit of freight to take the risk on him, especially since it roadblocks Stewart for at least a season.

Maybe they could get Turbo and Papz and get a full season out of them combined.
:clap: :thumbsup :roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: October 22, 2023, 9:11 am
greeneyed wrote:Not a risk you’d take. The Storm know when to offload a player, no doubt on that.
We didn’t have a single issue with Storm offloads Curtis Scott and Sisa Waqa.
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 22, 2023, 11:41 am The injury risk for Paps now is fairly considerable and it’s yet to be seen how he returns from these significant injuries

He looked ok in those last couple of games last yr. I suspect he will be ok. However, I get the feeling niggles will start creaping in, so you'll only get 8-9 outta 10 games from him. So we better have a decent backup 1 coz they'll see the field.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Josh Curran apparently chatting with Canterbury. Is there anyone they won't sign? They'd have to be running out of roster spots.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Instead of gambling on a busted Paps who’s signed until 2025, can we throw a million bucks at their up and coming fullback (that Faalogo kid)? He’ll be an absolute super star
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Finchy wrote:Instead of gambling on a busted Paps who’s signed until 2025, can we throw a million bucks at their up and coming fullback (that Faalogo kid)? He’ll be an absolute super star
I'd say that's the main reason they're trying to offload Papenhuyzen.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: October 22, 2023, 9:02 pm Instead of gambling on a busted Paps who’s signed until 2025, can we throw a million bucks at their up and coming fullback (that Faalogo kid)? He’ll be an absolute super star
I'd rather stick with Chevy.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Raidernation wrote: October 22, 2023, 11:06 am Their kid is first grade ready now. Super quick and surprisingly strong. I think they will try to move paps on but know they can't whilst he is injured but can't wait until the kid can negotiate with clubs.
If your a club looking for a fullback you would absolutely offer 500k 3 or 4 year contract.
Agreed. Faalogo will carve up next year if given the chance. Absolute superstar.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Coastalraider wrote:Bellamy does have form in shopping players to us when he’s done with them.
Curtis Scott
Sisa Waqa
Brett White
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Nice article by Mike Wood (he really does write very nicely about the game) on Jack Welsby, where he talks about the Raiders being a potential landing place. Not a link, just mentioning the clubs with a need and the cap space.

Also a comment on the Raiders having been interested in Lewis Dodd from St Helens.

Jack Welsby is the NRL’s next big star - if there’s a club with the cojones to stump up the cash and go get him

If there’s one thing NRL clubs don’t lack, it’s cash. The salary cap stops them from spending as much as they like, but there’s always a couple of bucks spare for all the other stuff. For the many, many teams that would be improved by adding one of the world’s best young playmakers, then this might be the time to find at a couple of hundred thousand dollars and get it to St Helens for Jack Welsby.

Canberra would be the most obvious destination given their track record of signing English talent – they’re about to pick up another, lock Morgan Smithies, from Wigan – and their interest in Welsby’s mate Lewis Dodd, a halfback, with current 7 Jamal Fogarty able to test himself on the open market in a week or so’s time.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/24/j ... o-get-him/