Raiders sign Morgan Smithies on three year deal from 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Raiders signs Morgan Smithies on three year deal from 2024

Post by Finchy »

For those of us who are naive, what does that symbol he posted mean?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Glad to have him but I sincerely hope it’s not at the expense of Mooney… would hope there is news of re-signing him in the coming weeks.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Finchy wrote: October 31, 2023, 9:08 pm For those of us who are naive, what does that symbol he posted mean?
Essentially that he is upset at the news implying that there is yet another roadblock to his path for first grade
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

What did Mooney post? Some of us arent on instagram.

Anyway its good that they got a quality signing done at last but fingers crossed the next one will be addressing some of the more obvious gaps in the squad.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:For those of us who are naive, what does that symbol he posted mean?
Happy but sad

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NoMan wrote:What did Mooney post? Some of us arent on instagram.

Anyway its good that they got a quality signing done at last but fingers crossed the next one will be addressing some of the more obvious gaps in the squad.
🥲

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: October 31, 2023, 9:08 pm For those of us who are naive, what does that symbol he posted mean?
Its a crying face emoji i think... either he's crying happy tears because he loves NSW Cup
or he's crying sad tears because he isnt sure of where his pathway to FG lays
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congratulations to Morgan Smithies on joining the Raiders. I'm looking forward to seeing the tough defence week in week out.

I see Trey Mooney as a Prop in the James Fisher-Harris style. They are similar in size and in how they play. Mooney is much faster than the likes of Guler and he would be in my side to kick off Round 1 in 2024 with Hors out suspended and Papa perhaps not yet up to starting after surgery.

A Round 1 pack that looks like Taps, Woolford, Ata, EW, Young, Smithies with a bench of Starling, Mooney, Papa, Saulo with Hors to apply pressure once he is available would be competitive.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

When all fit Saulo and Guler should be nowhere near FG.

Tapine, Papalii, Ata, Horse, Mooney, Whitey, Hudson, Puru, Smithies and CHN have it covered.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Raider Azz wrote: October 31, 2023, 7:01 pm I love how the english club press releases always emphasise a "significant transfer fee"
I guess they have to spin it as a positive to their fans some how.
of course they do - that's how the English professional sports system works. Every day the papers are full of football transfer speculation.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders set to sign Morgan Smithies from 2024

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: October 20, 2023, 10:49 am No might about it, guys like Mooney and Ata wont stick around to play NSW Cup when they're getting into 22-23 yo range.

If they dont get their opportunities here, they'll find them elsewhere... given where Stuart has very publicly said he's taking our squad, Mooney needs to be prioritised in terms of FG opportunities.

From what Stuart has said we're about to turn this squad over in a big youth movement. Mooney has potential to be a 10 year Papalii/Tapine level foundational piece to build a forward pack around. Can not be serious about a youth movement and be giving 25 year old solid footballers FG minutes over 21 year olds with that sort of upside.
Love to know where this idea that Ata is not getting a go comes from. He played 17 NRL games this year and three in NSW cup. One was coming back from injury then he was in first grade the next week and a couple mid season to get some minutes. By the final he was a starting prop.

I don't think there is any doubt he is a massive part of our future plans.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders sign Morgan Smithies on three year deal from 2024

Post by GreenMachine »

Meh signing...
we just don't need him. It is as if the Club is just happy for anyone to sign regardless of whether they solve a problem for the team.
It's what Loser Clubs do...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: November 1, 2023, 7:55 am
Botman wrote: October 20, 2023, 10:49 am No might about it, guys like Mooney and Ata wont stick around to play NSW Cup when they're getting into 22-23 yo range.

If they dont get their opportunities here, they'll find them elsewhere... given where Stuart has very publicly said he's taking our squad, Mooney needs to be prioritised in terms of FG opportunities.

From what Stuart has said we're about to turn this squad over in a big youth movement. Mooney has potential to be a 10 year Papalii/Tapine level foundational piece to build a forward pack around. Can not be serious about a youth movement and be giving 25 year old solid footballers FG minutes over 21 year olds with that sort of upside.
Love to know where this idea that Ata is not getting a go comes from. He played 17 NRL games this year and three in NSW cup. One was coming back from injury then he was in first grade the next week and a couple mid season to get some minutes. By the final he was a starting prop.

The concern is not that he hasn't been given a go, he has and he's proven well and truly up to NRL level
The problem is the numbers game

At most, we have 6 middle forward positions in a starting 17... #8, #10, #13, #15, #16, #17

6 spots...

Tapine - Locked in to one, rep player
Papalii - Locked into two, rep player
Hors - Locked into three, rep player
Smithies - ZERRRRRRRO chance he's been signed, with a transfer fee, as a young English rep player to come and play NSW Cup. Locked into four

That leaves AT BEST, 2 spots for Guler, Saulo (both of which the coach has had IRONED on to our bench), Ata and Mooney

The numbers are tough if Stuart is going to continue to rely on the dependability but lower upside of Guler and Saulo, which is what his MO has been all his career as a coach.
The noise out of Stuart and the club turning to a new era is promising, but for this coach, ill need to see it to believe it and until such time as i do see it, i think its fair and reasonable to have concerns.

And whilst I'm certain that Ata and Mooney are VERY MUCH in our long term plans, if they're not playing FG football in 2024 ahead of Guler and Saulo, we're not going to be in their long term plans much longer.
I am hopeful that we go into 2024 with Ata and Mooney firmly entrenched in the top 17 and i can put my fears aside and granted im way more concerned about Mooney than i am Ata, but it's a numbers game and until i actually see that they're being prioritised for FG opportunities ahead of guys like Guler and Saulo, im going to continue to be concerned
Last edited by Botman on November 1, 2023, 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Smithies has to play edge

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

GreenMachine wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:09 am Meh signing...
we just don't need him. It is as if the Club is just happy for anyone to sign regardless of whether they solve a problem for the team.
Well we are a loser club
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Josh Reynolds (who played against Smithies) spoke of him this morning on the Big Sports Breakfast.

Stated he was a real goer, tough and loves the niggle. Said raiders fans should be excited and sees him being a success given his work ethic and toughness.
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:20 am Smithies has to play edge

It would certainly solve a lot of issues for us in terms of improving #12 and opening spots in the middle forward rotation and i know absolutely NOTHING of Smithies but those that have seen him play say he's a #13 not an edge. Ill lean on those people until i see him for myself and form my own thoughts on what he can give us.

Maybe early he starts off the bench in a tweener bench role? Covering edge and middle? Really interested to see what our week 1 forward pack looks like in structure and personnel
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Kermit wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:38 am Josh Reynolds (who played against Smithies) spoke of him this morning on the Big Sports Breakfast.

Stated he was a real goer, tough and loves the niggle. Said raiders fans should be excited and sees him being a success given his work ethic and toughness.
super excited for more niggle, grind and penalty giveaways...
We clearly didn't learn a thing from this season ....
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Finchy wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:24 am
Well we are a loser club
Yep...a spade a spade.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:46 am
Kermit wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:38 am Josh Reynolds (who played against Smithies) spoke of him this morning on the Big Sports Breakfast.

super excited for more niggle, grind and penalty giveaways...
We clearly didn't learn a thing from this season ....
Hmmm hopefully it's more the competitive edge type guy that JB brought. He was like that, but it can be a positive too. We need some more "mongrel" in the pack at times, imo. Hors brings it but we have a few others I think are a bit passive.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:19 am

The concern is not that he hasn't been given a go, he has and he's proven well and truly up to NRL level

At most, we have 6 middle forward positions in a starting 17... #8, #10, #13, #15, #16, #17

6 spots...

Smithies - ZERRRRRRRO chance he's been signed, with a transfer fee, as a young English rep player to come and play NSW Cup. Locked into four

That leaves AT BEST, 2 spots for Guler, Saulo (both of which the coach has had IRONED on to our bench), Ata and Mooney

The numbers are tough if Stuart is going to continue to rely on the dependability but lower upside of Guler and Saulo, which is what his MO has been all his career as a coach.
The noise out of Stuart and the club turning to a new era is promising, but for this coach, ill need to see it to believe it and until such time as i do see it, i think its fair and reasonable to have concerns.

And whilst I'm certain that Ata and Mooney are VERY MUCH in our long term plans, if they're not playing FG football in 2024 ahead of Guler and Mooney, we're not going to be in their long term plans much longer.
I am hopeful that we go into 2024 with Ata and Mooney firmly entrenched in the top 17 and i can put my fears aside and granted im way more concerned about Mooney than i am Ata, but it's a numbers game and until i actually see that they're being prioritised for FG opportunities ahead of guys like Guler and Saulo, im going to continue to be concerned
Add Puru to that list, unless he finds himself at 14, and 1 of those young guys misses out at full strength.

PS. I'm pretty sure u wrote Mooney not Saulo in your '24 prediction. Should be Ata and Mooney ahead of Guler and Saulo (not Mooney).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 1, 2023, 8:40 am

It would certainly solve a lot of issues for us in terms of improving #12 and opening spots in the middle forward rotation and i know absolutely NOTHING of Smithies but those that have seen him play say he's a #13 not an edge. Ill lean on those people until i see him for myself and form my own thoughts on what he can give us.

Maybe early he starts off the bench in a tweener bench role? Covering edge and middle? Really interested to see what our week 1 forward pack looks like in structure and personnel
105 ESL games.
65 starts at lock.
2 at prop.
10 on the edge.
Rest off the pine. This usually means middle.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Not sure if it's been posted but he's been called up into the England squad for the game against Tonga.

Also from what I can tell that is a happy tears emoj that Mooney posted
The emoj has a smiling face. Although I am no expert
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That would be a shocking move.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Smithies' discipline this season has been excellent, and his all-round game has come on leaps and bounds. I reckon he'll go fine.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote: November 1, 2023, 5:56 am When all fit Saulo and Guler should be nowhere near FG.

Tapine, Papalii, Ata, Horse, Mooney, Whitey, Hudson, Puru, Smithies and CHN have it covered.
I agree.

But, we are unsure about the health of CHN.

Saulo is reliable, and Guler had a strong end to the year.

Competition for spots is healthy
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

6 spots...

And whilst I'm certain that Ata and Mooney are VERY MUCH in our long term plans, if they're not playing FG football in 2024 ahead of Guler and Saulo, we're not going to be in their long term plans much longer.
Exactly right Bot - no one does “veteran deference” more than Rick. Now maybe he’s having his hand forced into this youth movement… but when the whips are cracking I don’t think the great man can change his spots.

I’ll be staggered if the teams sent out on game day have any more than one or two rookies in it at any point in the season. He just isn’t bold enough (or humble enough) to take a bit of short term pain for the long term gain of a much higher ceiling down the track.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rushton went home, we signed this guy.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I want to see how he goes improving our poor defensive work in the middle. He sounds like an aggressive version of Fensom. We give up far too many easy metres in the middle. I am looking forward to watching him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Morgan Smithies hard as English nails

He'll come to Canberra with a similar background to both Elliott Whitehead and John Bateman, but Morgan Smithies is a different player to both. There's one area the Raiders recruit is the same - stereotypical North England toughness.

"[Bateman] was different to [Whitehead], and they're both different to Morgan," Joel Carbone said. "They all obviously have one thing in common in that they play the game in a particularly tough way and we just think that attribute will mesh nicely with our group.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL told they will ‘love’ Morgan Smithies following confirmation of Canberra Raiders move: ‘He’s all action’

England head coach Shaun Wane insists that the NRL ‘will love’ Morgan Smithies.

“He’ll need to change a few things and improve on certain areas to make a strong mark over there, because it’s a different competition, but the Aussies will love him – he’s all action. He defends and defends, and he’s a great kid, but that’s a different ball game over there, so he needs to be a lot better.”

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/nr ... all-action
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Rickmando wrote: November 1, 2023, 1:56 pm

6 spots...

Exactly right Bot - no one does “veteran deference” more than Rick. Now maybe he’s having his hand forced into this youth movement… but when the whips are cracking I don’t think the great man can change his spots.

I’ll be staggered if the teams sent out on game day have any more than one or two rookies in it at any point in the season. He just isn’t bold enough (or humble enough) to take a bit of short term pain for the long term gain of a much higher ceiling down the track.
It was interesting listening to Brian Goorjian (Boomers and NBL coach) speak about transitioning veteran players in offsiders last week. He said in the national boomers set up it was important to have veterans in the squad to set and drive a continuation of the team culture because the team doesn't play together regularly. So in the recent world cup he persevered with Mills and Ingles.
He then went on to say that at club level, they're on his dime and you don't want players getting past it on your watch, so better to move them on a couple of years early.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

denissnowy wrote: November 2, 2023, 7:08 am
Rickmando wrote: November 1, 2023, 1:56 pm

6 spots...

It was interesting listening to Brian Goorjian (Boomers and NBL coach) speak about transitioning veteran players in offsiders last week. He said in the national boomers set up it was important to have veterans in the squad to set and drive a continuation of the team culture because the team doesn't play together regularly. So in the recent world cup he persevered with Mills and Ingles.
He then went on to say that at club level, they're on his dime and you don't want players getting past it on your watch, so better to move them on a couple of years early.
I’ll go back and watch that. Always had respect for Goorjian as a coach, his CV speaks for itself.

I definitely think the “veteran presence” thing is overrated. I’m not suggesting you completely gut the team. But there’s plenty of data showing premiership sides containing a large number of players past a minimum games threshold, so I’m all for getting young players up to this mark as quickly as possible.

Not to mention, keeping older players in the side for vague non-performance related reasons rather than form must have a poor effect on young up and comers looking to progress their games. This may or may not be happening with Mooney here, or with Savage last season, but you can’t deny it sets a horrible example when different standards are applied to different players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

From Paphos with love: Smithies set for summer sojourn after England call-up

There is plenty of Paphos in this story of Canberra’s newest signing, the 22-year-old Wigan forward who once made 72 tackles in a game. No, not the evocation of pity and sympathy. That’s pathos. The party town in Cyprus: Paphos.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/11/02/fro ... est-debut/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Forgot to tell him what we call the sport too.