Zac Hosking signs with the Raiders on three year deal from 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Penrith Panthers second rower Zac Hosking tours Canberra Raiders HQ ahead of potential move

Post by FROG »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 14, 2023, 9:02 am Solid signing but doesn't get the heart racing.

He'll be a great signing if we add a higher calibre second-rower to the team as well. Hudson, Whitehead, Hosking and Luciano/similar player fighting for two starting and one bench spot would be great for depth and competition.
Agree with this
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Penrith Panthers second rower Zac Hosking tours Canberra Raiders HQ ahead of potential move

Post by julian87 »

If Canberra have paid him even 100k more than minimum wage it’s an absolute disaster. And I’d bet they’ve severely, severely overpaid.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hopefully a clay webb replacement

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Geez we love the bottom of the barrel...
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

GreenMachine wrote: December 14, 2023, 10:18 am Geez we love the bottom of the barrel...
We’ve gone from reserve graders to fringe first graders. We’re trending up!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Beggars cant be choosers. Hope he goes well - if he does sign.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Objectively, I think he is a good signing and a good squad member. Like many others, I just hope we are still looking at other options such as the Cowboys players etc in addition to Hosking.

However, if our young guns like Chevy Stewart, Ethan Strange, Ethan Sanders etc all kick on and become superstars, I do think a second row pairing of Hudson Young and Hosking is solid enough to take you to the big dance.

Regardless, he is a second rower and we need a second rower.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

julian87 wrote: December 14, 2023, 9:37 am If Canberra have paid him even 100k more than minimum wage it’s an absolute disaster. And I’d bet they’ve severely, severely overpaid.
Gee whiz mate. Paying a player ~200k who was good enough to play 20 games in one of the best teams in history, in a role that we desperately need to find depth is hardly what id characterise a disaster... that said north of 300k would be overs
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'We've got to make sure he wants to be a Raider first': Canberra closes in on Panther

Zac Hosking and his girlfriend toured Canberra Raiders HQ on Wednesday.

"We're always looking to strengthen our roster. We brought him and his girlfriend down to have a look at the facility in Canberra and have a discussion in regards to his future," Ricky Stuart said. "There's been no contractual negotiations as of yet. We've got to make sure he wants to be a Raider first."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: December 14, 2023, 9:37 am If Canberra have paid him even 100k more than minimum wage it’s an absolute disaster. And I’d bet they’ve severely, severely overpaid.
This seems a bit OTT. He’s hardly going to bend our cap out of shape. And it’s a position we are severely lacking depth.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I like this a lot for roster versatility with HSS and Morkos recently departing. Having an extra centre option with genuine FG experience if Timoko or Kris go down while also addressing our biggest need in a second rower is a big win in my opinion.

Still hope we’re chasing a cowboy but I think this is a very astute move from the club if it gets done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Neeeegz wrote: December 14, 2023, 7:11 am
RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2023, 12:24 am I see him as a journeyman depth signing. Panthers got good value out of him this past season but turning 27 in February next year, he is a late bloomer. I really hope we are still on the hunt for Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.
I saw somewhere maybe fox yesterday that Finefeuiaki had signed an extension with the Cowboys, so I doubt he's gonna be coming to us
Have you got a source for that Neeeegz. I could not find anything for K.Finefeuiaki. there are a few sports people with that surname.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

FROG wrote: December 14, 2023, 3:40 pm
Gee whiz mate. Paying a player ~200k who was good enough to play 20 games in one of the best teams in history, in a role that we desperately need to find depth is hardly what id characterise a disaster... that said north of 300k would be overs
Exactly.

The cap is going to be $11.25M next year, so the average will be $375K. Pretty sure we can handle paying him that at least.

CHN is allegedly on $600K, so if we can carry him on that much coin, we won’t be breaking the cap signing Hosking to more than average considering he’s effectively be CHN’s replacement.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2023, 5:25 pm
RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2023, 12:24 am I see him as a journeyman depth signing. Panthers got good value out of him this past season but turning 27 in February next year, he is a late bloomer. I really hope we are still on the hunt for Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.
I saw somewhere maybe fox yesterday that Finefeuiaki had signed an extension with the Cowboys, so I doubt he's gonna be coming to us
Have you got a source for that Neeeegz. I could not find anything for K.Finefeuiaki. there are a few sports people with that surname.
The latest story I could find...

Three-club race to break out for Cowboys young gun: https://www.zerotackle.com/three-club-r ... un-203888/
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Lol I can't get over some of the whingers on here. I remember last year people were spewing we didn't have a crack at Hosking. The guy is a good player who improves our squad. He is a better player than what CHN has shown himself to be. He's an upgrade on Clay Webb who we lost last season.

We still desire an elite edge - that's clear from Ricky's words. He isn't waxing lyrical about a bloke who is very clearly a depth player with upside.

I'm not sure we can beat the likes of the Dolphins to Finefuiaki. I did see Luki reportedly toured St George- hopefully he had a look here too.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: December 14, 2023, 10:34 am
GreenMachine wrote: December 14, 2023, 10:18 am Geez we love the bottom of the barrel...
We’ve gone from reserve graders to fringe first graders. We’re trending up!
Thats the spirit Finchy
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Bluesbrother wrote: December 14, 2023, 6:01 pm Lol I can't get over some of the whingers on here. I remember last year people were spewing we didn't have a crack at Hosking. The guy is a good player who improves our squad. He is a better player than what CHN has shown himself to be. He's an upgrade on Clay Webb who we lost last season.

We still desire an elite edge - that's clear from Ricky's words. He isn't waxing lyrical about a bloke who is very clearly a depth player with upside.

I'm not sure we can beat the likes of the Dolphins to Finefuiaki. I did see Luki reportedly toured St George- hopefully he had a look here too.
If we haven't got coin to throw at Luki we are doing something wrong.
Q is, where does he wanna go?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'd love to know who was complaining we didnt chase after Hoskings last year coming off a 2022 campaign with the Broncos where he played 4 FG games :lol:
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Botman wrote: December 14, 2023, 7:13 pm I'd love to know who was complaining we didnt chase after Hoskings last year coming off a 2022 campaign with the Broncos where he played 4 FG games :lol:
I've been told on this forum that most users here do extensive research on numerous fringe players in their spare time and "call it" faster than you can say Lesley Vainikolo.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

PNGRaider37 wrote: December 14, 2023, 8:18 pm
Botman wrote: December 14, 2023, 7:13 pm I'd love to know who was complaining we didnt chase after Hoskings last year coming off a 2022 campaign with the Broncos where he played 4 FG games :lol:
I've been told on this forum that most users here do extensive research on numerous fringe players in their spare time and "call it" faster than you can say Lesley Vainikolo.
I think forums like this are more aware of fringe players than your standard fans... lets be honest, if you're posting on a board like this in a real way, you're a **** sicko for this sport. And there is the SuperCoach aspect which i dont play, but as i understand it, the key to that game is identifying "cash cows" who are cheap in the game, but who's value will increase, allowing you to move off that player and spend the profits on a more reliable player... so that is increasing peoples awareness of players on the fringes... so i think that is generally spot on

But i just dont recall the moment where people were "spewing" we didnt aggressive chase him coming off a solid but largely unspectacular 4 game campaign for the Broncos. I vaguely recall some dicussions about him but i dont think anyone was over their skiis on it as being presented by Bluesbrother
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can check out the discussion on missing Zac Hosking when he signed with the Panthers here:

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1885364

You can all judge yourselves. But, in my view… virtually nothing to see there.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

To be fair, I thought he might be a matt lodge type liability, a penalty away from losing you a game type player, when at the broncos, but looked clean of those issues with the panthers, he might knock us back too, he's not signed yet
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Neeeegz wrote: December 14, 2023, 9:14 pm To be fair, I thought he might be a matt lodge type liability, a penalty away from losing you a game type player, when at the broncos, but looked clean of those issues with the panthers, he might knock us back too, he's not signed yet
Only 2 penalties all season according to foxsports. Pretty good going from 21 games in terms of discipline.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2023, 9:14 pm You can check out the discussion on missing Zac Hosking when he signed with the Panthers here:

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1885364

You can all judge yourselves. But, in my view… virtually nothing to see there.
If that's the extent of the discussion on Hosking I'm way off the mark with my comments. I thought there were more than that.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2023, 5:35 pm
RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2023, 5:25 pm
The latest story I could find...

Three-club race to break out for Cowboys young gun: https://www.zerotackle.com/three-club-r ... un-203888/
Sorry Red and GE, I tried looking again but can't find it, hopefully it was just dribble, because he's the pick of the guys available in my opinion
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

We need a backrower, there’s virtually nobody on the market, we’re miles under the cap and this is a guy who played 17 matches for last years premiers including the prelim?

I don’t see why we wouldn’t go for him. It’s not like it precludes us from signing anyone else next year.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

According to The Canberra Times, the Raiders are trying to sign Penrith second-rower Zac Hosking for the 2025-26 seasons, but would be keen to get him for 2024 too: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... situation/
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: December 15, 2023, 7:06 pm According to The Canberra Times, the Raiders are trying to sign Penrith second-rower Zac Hosking for the 2025-26 seasons, but would be keen to get him for 2024 too: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... situation/
Given the Panthers record of holding onto players until thier contract is over it seems unlikely they will let him go. Burton, Kikau, Crichton. Unless there is an exchange or a need, letting Hosking go early won't help the Panthers in 24. Will be interesting to see what happens.

If he does come early he would likely fit straight into our 17 which means Mooney, Mariota, Guler, Saulo, Puru, Sasagi are all fighting for 2 bench spots. Our forward pack is very competitive.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Obviously we have been and are trying to land the big fish on the edge.

But failing that, I see absolutely no reason why an incrementalist approach, as seems to be the case with this bloke, is a bad move.

Let’s be brutally honest for a second here. Whitehead, bless his socks, was a non-contributor and/or a liability for about 80% of the year.

If this guy is merely a solid FGer, he is an instant upgrade on EW and improves the team.

And that is significant because even with a couple passengers and sputtering performances, we still went within a need of making the finals.

Making those couple percent improvements where we can personnel wise may turn out to be quite important next season.

If him and Smithies bring some starch to a pack already brimming with strike power, I think our pack holds up pretty well.
Up The Milk
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Mickey_Raider wrote: December 15, 2023, 8:29 pm Obviously we have been and are trying to land the big fish on the edge.

But failing that, I see absolutely no reason why an incrementalist approach, as seems to be the case with this bloke, is a bad move.

Let’s be brutally honest for a second here. Whitehead, bless his socks, was a non-contributor and/or a liability for about 80% of the year.

If this guy is merely a solid FGer, he is an instant upgrade on EW and improves the team.

And that is significant because even with a couple passengers and sputtering performances, we still went within a need of making the finals.

Making those couple percent improvements where we can personnel wise may turn out to be quite important next season.

If him and Smithies bring some starch to a pack already brimming with strike power, I think our pack holds up pretty well.
Small increments are fine if every other club is static. Otherwise they are not going to get you anywhere meaningful.

I have nothing against the signing in isolation, especially for 24, but the club has a major issue with recruitment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Especially for 24?
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

greeneyed wrote: December 15, 2023, 10:05 pm Especially for 24?
I mean its a better signing if they can get him for 24 and not just from 25-26.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: December 15, 2023, 9:44 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: December 15, 2023, 8:29 pm Obviously we have been and are trying to land the big fish on the edge.

Small increments are fine if every other club is static. Otherwise they are not going to get you anywhere meaningful.

I have nothing against the signing in isolation, especially for 24, but the club has a major issue with recruitment.
When did you realise this? The club has had issues with recruitment for 20 years.

Despite that though, we've recruited very well. Our approach is different to other clubs because it has to be. We've gone to England and had amazing success with it. Smithies will be another such story.

We're now recruiting elite youth and putting them into the system. Stewart, rated the number 1 schoolboy in the country was signed and will likely play NRL next year. That's not a traditional model that other clubs are using but that's what we're trying. Sanders will be another in this vein.

The strategy now for most of the elite clubs is to build a base with youth and add a bit of cream on top. The cream we can realistically get is going to be different. We have to get elite players in positions that aren't as in demand, such as backrow or get them early before they truly hit their peak. Which is what we are doing and we are having success. If Chevy Stewart turns into a top 5 or even top 10 fullback in the NRL will that be considered a good signing/good recruitment? I think it should be. Just because we haven't signed a huge name doesn't mean we haven't recruited well.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Zac Hosking was keeping Luke Garner out of the Penrith side. So there's that.

On a more serious note, I didn't mind what I saw of him. We were very poor defensively on the edge. And he was solid in one of the best defensive sides i've ever seen.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Boomercm wrote: December 16, 2023, 8:04 am Zac Hosking was keeping Luke Garner out of the Penrith side. So there's that.
Then dropped him for Garner for the pointy end of the season.

If Hosking is on a very small contract Penrith won’t release him unless they have someone who can come in and do the same job at the same price imo.

They don’t stand in the way of players making themselves a living/career (O’Sullivan, Cogger etc) but they don’t leave themselves short in the interim.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.