The Union Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Union Thread

Post by T_R »

gerg wrote:Shirley the CEO has to go for totally botching this up. Not that I follow it closely but it looked like Remie or Rennie (whatever his name is) was going ok with the **** sandwich that is Rugby Australia at the moment. I'm not a fan of the code anymore but having grown up playing it I genuinely fear for the future of rugby in Australia.

I'm not sure how they dig themselves out of this. Rugby league is really strong at the moment both in the product and the back office. The cap is rising regularly. Things are looking the best they've looked since the 90s - Simply the best era. Rugby union is the complete opposite in every one of those areas.
I think rugby in Australia is structurally broken. I don't think it's coming back.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah I think union in this country is in hospice care
It’s hard to see how they get this back on track. They’ll continue to bleed talent to RL, and the product will continue to diminish on the national stage and at professional club rugby and it’s just a very hard spiral to reverse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The chairman making a captain's call to sack the coach cause he wanted Eddie Jones back is a major red flag.

The whole thing needs to be nuked and rebuilt, the principal of centralisation for high performance makes sense. You want all your pathways aligned to the greater goals which is making the wallabies competitive again.

They've tried to overstep the realms and basically take over the whole system which has pissed off the super rugby clubs bar the Waratahs who are broke, leave them alone to run their business and worry about the on field stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Below is from the Google listing for Hamish McLennan: His final comment of 'don't watch the game' to Australian Rugby supporters says all anyone needs to know about a self righteous ego-maniac who appointed the erratic Eddie Jones after sacking the previous coach, Dave Rennie, only 8 months before the World Cup. Erratic Eddie then sacks the Captain of the side before the World Cup and they wonder at the results. Erratic Eddie has had the role before and no one in the playing group wanted him back. See comment below from current Brumbies and Wallabies halfback Nick White:

"In January 2023, with less than eight months until the World Cup, McLennan made the call to sack coach Dave Rennie, who still had a year left on his contract, and replace him with recently sacked England coach Eddie Jones. The move was met with deep scepticism and shock by the rugby community and the playing group, who had only days early assembled for a pre World Cup camp with the previous coach. Experienced halfback Nick White remarked at the time that many players were anxious following the appointment, with players "you know, **** themselves about [him] coming in". Another player commented that the group had their jaws drop to the ground following the press release. McLennan's "captain's call" to replace the coach so soon before the World Cup, which is only held every four years, did not prove a success, with the Wallabies losing to Fiji for the first time in 69 years in their second pool match. Their subsequent loss to Wales the following game meant that this Wallabies team is likely to be the first to fail to qualify for the knockout rounds in the competitions history. In response to criticism from the Australian rugby community, McLennan's advice was simply, "don’t watch the game"."
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's too late for that Mcwhatever. We're already not watching the game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Very true gerg, although it's not only that Australia are not winning, it the refereeing which makes the game unwatchable for me now. So many nit picking calls which does not allow the game to flow. Even the Ella brothers would be stifled under the way it is Ref'd now.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

McLennan has resigned at last. A pity he didn't do it last Xmas as a gift to everyone.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He didn't resign, he was sacked. Only NSW and Victoria stuck by him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

NSW and Victoria are also in negotiations to be taken over by RA as they are broke, so I'd say it's more abstaining than support
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: November 20, 2023, 2:42 pm He didn't resign, he was sacked. Only NSW and Victoria stuck by him.
GE, he was left with no option but to resign, which he did.
"The six member unions said they welcomed McLennan’s resignation." (source The Guardian)

It is good news for Rugby in Australia he is gone. Daniel Herbert is now in the Chairmans' role and he will need to bring some stability and consultation into the job. For Fans the first of many big decisions to be made is 'who will coach the Wallabies'? Once that decision is made, then they need to look at the coaching pathways for Wallaby players. They give away too many penalties as if they don't know the rules. Lots of talk about Stephen Larkham to be the next coach. Whomever it is, I wish them well. There is a re-build job needed after the last World Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... ht-meeting
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Daniel Herbert named new RA chairman after ousting Hamish McLennan

Former Wallabies centre Daniel Herbert is the new chairman of Rugby Australia after the board held a late-night vote to sack Hamish McLennan. Herbert won the majority of the votes late on Sunday, ending the controversial tenure of McLennan, who has now quit the game entirely.

McLennan was removed as chairman but was offered the chance to remain on the RA board, however he made the decision to quit altogether.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 544789ef5a

Sacked as Chair, then resigned the Board altogether.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Burn it all down and start again.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

TR, I'd be ok for them to set a plan and stick to it. No more 'Captains Picks' by changing a Head Coach 8 months out from a World Cup and then the erratic Eddie dumping the Captain of the side just before the World Cup. That was amateur hour/s imo. It showed on the field. No more of the RA Chairman saying to fans, 'if you don't like it don't watch it'. Where did he think support for the game came from?? RA is currently positioned on the South Pole. From here every direction is UP.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Regardless of his dozens of denials before, during and after the Rugby World Cup, Erratic Eddie Jones has taken on the head Coaching job for Japan. I wish Japanese Rugby well and good luck, they are going to need it. The Wallaby Coach for 10 months, obviously had one foot out the door even while presiding over the Wallabies Worst World Cup Ever. His appointment was a joke as was his performance in the job. Thankfully all the main actors in this farce have now gone. Rugby will be better for their departure.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: November 21, 2023, 9:38 pm Burn it all down and start again.

Would it help?
Im admittedly an RU hater, and nothing would please me more than to see the code die, mostly because i think it's just a bad product and a poor sport that is unnecessarily complicated and at least as far as australian sport goes, largely uninteresting

But how does Union save itself in this country at this point? A huge RUWC financial boon in 2027 is going to help pay the bills?
my best guess is its over. RU will always hold a place in australia... but i suspect the the best players in that code will either depart and play OS and for the Wallabies or simply defect to RL. And the domestic game will be relegated to that of glorified park football competition before the decade is out.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They're banking on 2027 to get some cash in the bank so they can rebuild

They've just taken out anyone loan to keep themselves solvent, that's how **** a position they're in
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NZ Assistant Coach Joe Schmidt is the new Wallabies Coach taking over from eratic Eddie Jones. He has previously done a fine job with Ireland. I wish him well with the role he has a real mess to clean up.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The next sucker in line..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just let yawnion die it's death next to soccer

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought they were after David Nucifora?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The latest from the gorilla whisperer eratic Eddie Jones:

Jones also said that he wants to use artificial intelligence to train his players to communicate with their eyes.

"Gorillas don't have white in their eyes. So gorillas never know what each other are thinking. That's the difference with humans; we have white in our eyes," he said.

"The really good players in the world are those who make quick decisions and are able to read movement through eyes. We have got to be able to train that skill. I have some ideas of how we are going to do it which might involve some artificial intelligence training,"