All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders re-sign Pasami Saulo to end of 2026

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good depth player and good re-signing.

Can't see why this indicates anything about Mooney's future TBH.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Yeah, there’s still room for Mooney. I wonder if the delay in re-signing him is his call. I’d be pretty keen to see how much first grade action I got before I put pen to paper.

It’s clear Saulo is an hard worker and good trainer, so I could see him adding some components to his game this year like an offload or just bending the line a bit more.

I still don’t think he’s top tier but I don’t mind this re-signing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:“We’re moving in the right direction to be the best in the comp so I’m really excited and that’s why I chose to stay," Saulo said.

That’s what you want to hear - good stuff Pasami!
Oh good, Billy has his next fringe player to celebrate if something happens to Levi.
Provide evidence that he does that
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good signing. Provides depth.

Not sure how his retention means Mooney is leaving.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

dubby wrote: February 16, 2024, 7:37 am Good signing. Provides depth.

Not sure how his retention means Mooney is leaving.
It doesn't, but it would bring the odds in.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's good depth.

Or he should be. But he played 22 FG games last season. I think that's why people worry Mooney hasn't re-signed yet.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I understand we need this level guy but with the likes of Clydesdale and Lewis coming through and the swathe of middles already I'm struggling to understand the need to extend Saulo.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Clydesdale will most likely spend the season in NSW Cup.

It's up to Mooney to put his hand up on and off field to supplant Saulo.

Saulo reminds me a bit of Dunamis Lui. Handy depth player with plenty of energy, but he's in a battle to make the 18 every week.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Unnecessary early re-signing. No other teams were coming for him and there was no need to go off early, but such is the raiders way. Contracts for nice guys.

Mooney can't put his hand up any higher than he has over the past 12 months. He's dominated NSW Cup and he's performed well every time he's had a chance in first grade. This isn't up to Mooney, it's up to Ricky to start picking the best players in their best positions. On merit, Saulo should be spending the whole year in cup and Mooney should be a regular part of the 17 in the NRL.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: February 16, 2024, 9:25 am He's good depth.

Or he should be. But he played 22 FG games last season. I think that's why people worry Mooney hasn't re-signed yet.
If Saulo is an average fringe first grader and Mooney can’t take his spot in the 17, that might say more about Mooney than Saulo or Ricky.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: February 16, 2024, 11:05 am
This is the typical garbage Rickheads persist with crapping on about, they said the same about Savage.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Didn't see a great deal from Savage last year to demand a first grade position.

Mooney's looking good though. Seems to be working hard to win a spot in the 17.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sometimes a player is given opportunities he’s not earned. Sometimes a player is given opportunities when he’s earned them and indeed, sometimes a player is not given opportunities despite earning them.

The players can’t pick themselves, a coach, who like everyone else, has biases and personality quirks that influence his decision making, has to pick them.
It can’t be put it in terms any simpler than Andymachine has above - Mooney can't put his hand up any higher than he has over the past 12 months.

And as I have said before – every minute Guler and Saulo play in FG over a fit and healthy Mooney or Ata is a wasted minute. A club like ours cannot afford to “potential rep level” talent walk out the door on the basis of lack of opportunity because we settled for players who ceiling is capped at “solid FG footballer”.
We can recruit solid FG footballers. Our only avenue to obtain elite level players is to get them young, invest in them and develop them. We’ve done that with Mooney, we got him young, we invested in him, developed him to the point where he is now very much ready to take the next step.

We owe it to ourselves as a club to explore the rewards of that investment. We will not achieve premiership success settling for solid.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: February 16, 2024, 11:45 am

If Saulo is an average fringe first grader and Mooney can’t take his spot in the 17, that might say more about Mooney than Saulo or Ricky.
It might. Or it might be a selection error.

Saulo is a worker. They need big minutes to be effective. I think Smithies will fill that role. Hors is another worker.

Off the bench for 20-30 mins I think an impact player is better suited. Mooney is that guy.

I'm fine with having Saulo in the 30 squad. If Hors is out, I'd happily bring Saulo in for the workhorse type role.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: February 16, 2024, 11:55 am
This is the typical garbage Rickheads persist with crapping on about, they said the same about Savage.
It'c classic circular reasoning.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 12:45 pm Sometimes a player is given opportunities he’s not earned. Sometimes a player is given opportunities when he’s earned them and indeed, sometimes a player is not given opportunities despite earning them.

The players can’t pick themselves, a coach, who like everyone else, has biases and personality quirks that influence his decision making, has to pick them.
It can’t be put it in terms any simpler than Andymachine has above - Mooney can't put his hand up any higher than he has over the past 12 months.

And as I have said before – every minute Guler and Saulo play in FG over a fit and healthy Mooney or Ata is a wasted minute. A club like ours cannot afford to “potential rep level” talent walk out the door on the basis of lack of opportunity because we settled for players who ceiling is capped at “solid FG footballer”.
We can recruit solid FG footballers. Our only avenue to obtain elite level players is to get them young, invest in them and develop them. We’ve done that with Mooney, we got him young, we invested in him, developed him to the point where he is now very much ready to take the next step.

We owe it to ourselves as a club to explore the rewards of that investment. We will not achieve premiership success settling for solid.
It staggers me that this basic fact is missed by club decision makers and EDIT alike.

The very same who are quick to play the victim mentality game when saying “we can’t recruit because players don’t want to live in Canberra” or that “the NRL is not a level playing field”. They are happy to champion these types of low-potential grinders re-rolling more playing minutes and contract years, all while making the young outcome-changing, ceiling-busters “pay their dues” in reserve grade during the developmental years of their careers.

A lot of our “woes” are very much within our control. But the decision-makers are too scared of their own shadows to ever rise above mediocrity. Supporters of this club deserve a bit more ambition and risk tolerance than we have been getting for the last few decades.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 12:45 pm Sometimes a player is given opportunities he’s not earned. Sometimes a player is given opportunities when he’s earned them and indeed, sometimes a player is not given opportunities despite earning them.

Well said.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: February 16, 2024, 1:13 pm

Saulo is a worker. They need big minutes to be effective. I think Smithies will fill that role. Hors is another worker.

Off the bench for 20-30 mins I think an impact player is better suited. Mooney is that guy.

I'm fine with having Saulo in the 30 squad. If Hors is out, I'd happily bring Saulo in for the workhorse type role.
I think that is a good point that Mooney and Saulo play very different roles. I’d be more inclined to suggest that what the club decides to do with a potential Papa extension is likely to more a deciding factor in what Mooney does.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: February 16, 2024, 11:55 am
Yeah, and the Nickheads have their own adage.. but yours is proven stupid. Tell us again how good McCrone was?

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Your first paragraph reminds me of James Stuart, Matt Allwood and Jeremy Hawkins

Every coach has prejudice. Read the wolf you feed.

Mooney has not given his absolute best off field. You can take that to the bank.

Ata and Puru, and Mooney, are in the mix. Just stop blowing bubbles and let's see what happens

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 16, 2024, 4:19 pm Mooney has not given his absolute best off field. You can take that to the bank.
A tradition as old as time itself.
Can’t mount a credible argument to defend Rick? Freedom to slander the player off the park. No consequences, no proof… just open slander to a young man’s work ethic and character as a means to deflect off Stuart

Bull belongs in the toilet and flushed, not a bank. So that’s where I’ll be taking that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This is the best post on the matter.

Pretty much with Smithies Saulo is way less valuable. And we’ve re-signed him. Fantastic.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I'm not convinced Trey Mooney is better than Saulo. He has potential to be, sure. But Trey isn't that good from what I've seen. The hype around Mooney isn't quite matching the reality for me.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bluesbrother wrote:I'm not convinced Trey Mooney is better than Saulo. He has potential to be, sure. But Trey isn't that good from what I've seen. The hype around Mooney isn't quite matching the reality for me.
Maybe if you watched him play you'd see why
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:06 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:I'm not convinced Trey Mooney is better than Saulo. He has potential to be, sure. But Trey isn't that good from what I've seen. The hype around Mooney isn't quite matching the reality for me.
Maybe if you watched him play you'd see why
Watching him tonight. Not doing much against a NSW cup set of middles.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cool you're judging his performance off one game.

All I need to know
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's watching a different game to me
Mooney's been really strong in his defensive contact, holding dudes up and pushing them backwards. Winning the battle. He took some heavy contact on the Hopgood tackle but handled it well

His team is being dominated in field position and possession but late in the half he was down hurt holding his ribs and the 3 plays after that, he got up off his ****, to make himself available to run a hard line, where he took off ball contact, next play got himself back into position to run another good line. Wasnt interested in lying around waiting for attention, back up and into it. I think he's been good.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:10 pm Cool you're judging his performance off one game.

All I need to know
I've seen him plenty in cup. Watched him in 19s origin. Seen his limited minutes at NRL level. Now, tonight, another year older and another preseason under his belt. He isn't setting the world on fire is all I'm saying. He isnt kicking on. The kid has some ability but he isn't head and shoulders above Saulo or even a walk up NRL player. Maybe there is a reason he is off contract at the end of 24, there are plenty of sides who need middles and he remains unsigned.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So games he's racking up 150, 160, 170, 180+ metres consistently isn't setting the world on fire?

Just say you don't watch the games
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:33 pm So games he's racking up 150, 160, 170, 180+ metres consistently isn't setting the world on fire?

Not saying he is a bad player. I'm saying the discussion that he is streets ahead of Saulo isn't correct.

I've just told you, I have watched the games.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:33 pm So games he's racking up 150, 160, 170, 180+ metres consistently isn't setting the world on fire?

Saulo averages 50m per game. The tackle breaks across a season tell the same story. They do different things.

But it's gotta be a troll to pretend Mooney isn't gonna make 2x the yards and hit harder. If that's what you want from your bench prop. Mooney has ripped reggies up.

He's NRL ready. Will he be excellent at NRL? Dunno. But it's time to find out imo. Past time even.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

BadnMean wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:45 pm

Saulo averages 50m per game. The tackle breaks across a season tell the same story. They do different things.

But it's gotta be a troll to pretend Mooney isn't gonna make 2x the yards and hit harder. If that's what you want from your bench prop. Mooney has ripped reggies up.

He's NRL ready. Will he be excellent at NRL? Dunno. But it's time to find out imo. Past time even.
Saulo played very limited minutes for us. Hence the low metres average.

I agree, Trey offers something different. But we also have that something different in our pack in the shape of Tapine, Papalii and now Mariota. Not hating on Trey but I dont think he is miles ahead of Saulo like many make out. Which is a compliment to Saulo because Mooney is decent.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:51 pm

I agree, Trey offers something different. But we also have that something different in our pack in the shape of Tapine, Papalii and now Mariota. Not hating on Trey but I dont think he is miles ahead of Saulo like many make out. Which is a compliment to Saulo because Mooney is decent.
Saulo averaged 22 minutes per game. He's got nothing in terms of meters per run, post contact meters, line breaks or offloads. What he does is tackle, a lot, and very efficiently.

For a bloke like him to get 22 minutes a game is a complete waste of space. He should either play for an hour or not at all. Mooney on the other hand eats up meters and while I haven't checked I'm guessing the Rickstar has probably let him have an average five minutes per game. Your comparison seems to be based on nothing at all....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: February 16, 2024, 7:37 pm

This is the best post on the matter.

Pretty much with Smithies Saulo is way less valuable. And we’ve re-signed him. Fantastic.
Yes it is a good take from BnM
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thing is Saulo averages low metres in NSW cup as well, like 80 a game over 50 appearances (Mooney averages around 150 as a middle). It's just a feature of Saulo's game imo, he is tall and runs upright but doesn't have Tapine type leg drive. I guess he could develop it, he would be a really good player if he does.