The Politics Thread 2024

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gerg »

Ole Barnaby is the gift that keeps on giving.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says Barnaby Joyce must explain himself, after Nationals MP was filmed lying on Canberra footpath: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-11/ ... /103453420

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He’s a blight that should have been removed by voters a long time ago.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:He’s a blight that should have been removed by voters a long time ago.
Likely to earn him more votes in Queensland TBH.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gangrenous wrote:He’s a blight that should have been removed by voters a long time ago.
Likely to earn him more votes in Queensland TBH.
Hahaha he’s certainly got my vote!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Alexei Navalny died suddenly in a Russian prison. Trumpists, Daily Mail readers and morons everywhere - iT wAs thE vAxxEeNs!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nothing to see here, Zaius. Biden is really old.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

And now Putin has come out an endorsed Biden over Trump

So many ways to manipulate gullible Americans
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh, goddamit that is smart by Putin
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Didn't go well for the Woolies CEO
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:Didn't go well for the Woolies CEO
If you think it has anything to do with not sling cheap plastic **** for Australia Day, I hate to disappoint you. It's to do with his dumpster fire interview on Four Corners when grilled about price gouging. But you wouldn't know that, getting all of your news from the Daily Mail.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I saw a little bit of that interview and the part of it i found most annoying was he sat there in a **** polo with a name badge - "Brad", like he was just some shelf stacking schmo! I dont need the Wooworths CEO pretending to be an common man. :lol:
In fact that makes me think he's a ****. Bad optics.

I'd kill to see "Brad" to do a walk through of a store in his cosplay outfit and have pimple faced "supervisior" to ask "Brad" to man the deli counter or check outs in a pinch to get the crowd through. Brad trying to work out the PLU code for some salami, or trying to identify a slighty obscure fruit or veg would make my god damn day
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Can't be any worse than his media skills.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I saw a little bit of that interview and the part of it i found most annoying was he sat there in a **** polo with a name badge - "Brad", like he was just some shelf stacking schmo! I dont need the Wooworths CEO pretending to be an common man. :lol:
In fact that makes me think he's a ****. Bad optics.

I'd kill to see "Brad" to do a walk through of a store in his cosplay outfit and have pimple faced "supervisior" to ask "Brad" to man the deli counter or check outs in a pinch to get the crowd through. Brad trying to work out the PLU code for some salami, or trying to identify a slighty obscure fruit or veg would make my god damn day
Yeah, the optics on that were ridiculously poor. Glad to see the end of him, and glad to see the government at least attempting to tackle the supermarket duopoly.

Another sign I’ll be voting for Albo come the next election, he’s doing a reasonable job IMO.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:
If you think it has anything to do with not sling cheap plastic **** for Australia Day, I hate to disappoint you. It's to do with his dumpster fire interview on Four Corners when grilled about price gouging. But you wouldn't know that, getting all of your news from the Daily Mail.
I told you I read the Daily Growl!!

And yes, it was all those things. It's simple, really.
Don't piss off your customers.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It doesn't matter what you do these days there is always a group of people unhappy and complaining. Either woke or right wingers. They're essentially the same thing at opposite ends of the spectrum and the world would be better off without either of them.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I agree gerg - push hard at either edge of the left/right progressive/conservative spectrum and it tends to be a weird control using different methods sort of thing.

On the American election, as much of an old old old man biden is, I think he will repeat and beat trump again.

Ultimately you have to energise your base and I dont think the energy from the MAGA crowd will be enough to offset the losses the republicans take from more old school republicans who dont want to turn their country into one big sloganeering corporation. Lots of people who I thought were trump fans arent huge on the orange man anymore.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: February 23, 2024, 8:15 am I agree gerg - push hard at either edge of the left/right progressive/conservative spectrum and it tends to be a weird control using different methods sort of thing.

On the American election, as much of an old old old man biden is, I think he will repeat and beat trump again.

Ultimately you have to energise your base and I dont think the energy from the MAGA crowd will be enough to offset the losses the republicans take from more old school republicans who dont want to turn their country into one big sloganeering corporation. Lots of people who I thought were trump fans arent huge on the orange man anymore.
It's certainly going to be an interesting one. I've never been less certain about which way an American election was going to go that I can remember.

I'm probably still leaning towards Trump winning it, however part of me still thinks (and hopes) that common sense can prevail.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
I told you I read the Daily Growl!!

And yes, it was all those things. It's simple, really.
Don't piss off your customers.

It's really not, Woolworths share price dropped almost $4 after that interview came out in one day.

You really can't seem to comprehend that not selling cheap Chinese **** nobody wants barely made a drop in the pond

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Their shares were dropping before that interview, too.

It's not a good look when you don't celebrate your national holiday but instead celebrate lunar new year etc

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That is absolutely disgusting dubs if true.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Remind me what stock they bought specifically for that occasion?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Taylor swift merch.

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lunar New Year? What's that, dubs?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Off wrote:That is absolutely disgusting dubs if true.

Just selling cheap Chinese crap. We all know we don't need that.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I never saw any of that, I haven't set foot in the place since it went woke.

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Lunar New Year? What's that, dubs?
It's similar to Australia day Nickman. On Australia day skinheads and bogan Australians roam the streets draped in their Australian flag, exposing their Southern Cross tattoos and intimidate and harrass people who aren't white. On Chinese New Year, those damn Chinese immigrants threaten and intimidate all non Chinese people with their dumplings and other delicious food and lion dance.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:
Off wrote:That is absolutely disgusting dubs if true.

Just selling cheap Chinese crap. We all know we don't need that.

Whoa some signage next to food they stock all year round

Where's the actual products?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

How many times must you be reminded, it was not about stock.

It was their decision to not celebrate our national day.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

gerg wrote:
It's similar to Australia day Nickman. On Australia day skinheads and bogan Australians roam the streets draped in their Australian flag, exposing their Southern Cross tattoos and intimidate and harrass people who aren't white. On Chinese New Year, those damn Chinese immigrants threaten and intimidate all non Chinese people with their dumplings and other delicious food and lion dance.

That's how it goes mate.

This place is woke.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What cause Sky News told you so?

Anyone who can think for themselves knows it wasn't that at all.

Woolies boss concedes he could have done a better job on Australia Day decision: https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 5ezjl.html

Even the man himself who made the call said it was a COMMERCIAL DECISION
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The board has made several decisions. A lot of them are divisive.

They stuffed up by supporting the Yes campaign. They actually gave $1.5 million to the Yes campaign. Shareholders' money. They sold a book by Thomas Mayo, promoting the voice.

And by your own logic, if it's just stuff they sell all year round, why not put up an end Cap promoting Aussie grown products, produce or iconic brands like Vegemite?

I'm sure bws could have promoted local whiskeys, gins, wines, etc.

Maybe their board, which has Adam Goodes on it in a first nation's advisory role, and many of whom identify as Aboriginal, need to understand their asinine political involvement is shredding their stock value.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's a start at least.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gerg wrote: February 23, 2024, 11:14 am
Vietnam also celebrates the Luna new year. My second year going to a family CNY. The quality of food and wine they all throw at you for free is just amazing.
The suckling pig and lobster (separate dinners) this year were particularly good.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gerg wrote: February 23, 2024, 11:14 am

Whilst I agree Lunar new year is great and dont like the 2GB line of argument comparing them.

I think you have over hammed australia day a bit.

Australia day was celebrated by most with a barbecue and some friends maybe a flag maybe not. But to suggest it was solely the province of celebration for hardcore intimadory people is incorrect. I would say that it was not to dissimilar to how a lot of other european countries celebrated their national day.

The only issue is the date. Then everyone can get on and celebrate a day of being Australian in whatever fashion they like. Though I imagine there will still be some people who bitch and moan because that is what they are accustomed to doing.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Australia Day was always a BBQ, a drink and some backyard cricket in my youth.