8%
Cowboys 13+
23%

Total votes: 13

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Trial 2 v Cowboys: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by julian87 »

Also on the discussion in this thread about Saulo.

I have no stats to back me up but imo he looks better because he takes the easiest hit ups. When we’re on the move and he gets the ball at the advantage line. They’re the runs we want the likes of Taps and Paps taking because they have the ability to break the line or promote the ball.

As a pure prop he’s the weakest in the top 30 imo. He’s good enough to play first grade. But given middles are our strength we should be selecting on upside and power (now we actually have a lock).
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:52 pm
julian87 wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:50 pm
Botman wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:38 pm
Asomua …….

Agree he’s on the outside looking in right now, but he’s getting one of those wing spots sooner than later imo
I don’t think he is having started this trial ahead of Cotric.
I think it was on record that he just wanted to give Asomua minutes against starters since he always plays well against back ups.
I think today will give stuart some confidence that he can turn to him early if he isnt getting what he wants from his wingers
Rightio. I missed that!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I really hope people look at that Strange game today and understand how significant the RH/LH thing is
He's just such a natural right side player... you can see in games like that, he's comfortable, confident, reads the play well

His debut game on the left, he was all at sea. It is sooooooooo critical that whenever he comes into this FG team that he's on the right side. It will just do so much to ease the transition. He's our long term RH. We simply HAVE to allow him to come into this team and take that role on from the jump, rather than play left, perhaps struggle and it impact his confidence.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 25, 2024, 6:31 pm
NoMan wrote: February 25, 2024, 6:01 pm
dubby wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:39 pm
I think they'll rotate. But Levi threw a few ground balls
A few people mentioned that but the ones that hit the dirt were Hoppa and Young. He threw one low pass for Smithies but that was it.
Yeah, Levi did a decent job with his service. Only saw that one dodgy pass.
How disappointing right. It just doesn’t fits the narrative we want if it wasn’t Levi. So do we pretend it was him or just reluctantly give him a pass mark and hope he stuffs up next week?
What? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: February 25, 2024, 8:21 pm I really hope people look at that Strange game today and understand how significant the RH/LH thing is
He's just such a natural right side player... you can see in games like that, he's comfortable, confident, reads the play well

His debut game on the left, he was all at sea. It is sooooooooo critical that whenever he comes into this FG team that he's on the right side. It will just do so much to ease the transition. He's our long term RH. We simply HAVE to allow him to come into this team and take that role on from the jump, rather than play left, perhaps struggle and it impact his confidence.
Yeah we’re on this bus together.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

julian87 wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:48 pm
Botman wrote: February 25, 2024, 7:38 pm I don’t think the tackle was that bad!
We’ll see how the MRC see it
Nah it was. Hand between the legs and ended up heading towards spear. It’s a clear 3+ week suspension for mine. And that really **** us.
No chance. 2 games at most.

Player wasn’t hurt and didn’t need to leave the field. That’s always a consideration for the MRC.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It’s a spear tackle and hands between the legs
And it’s a MRC so anything is possible but yeah I think it’s a 1, maybe 2 weeks
He’s a rookie so his record is clean which will play in his favour
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

The MRC is the manatees picking balls out of a water tank like that south park episode about family guy so they could even decide 6 weeks and i wouldn't be surprised. Will just have to cross our fingers and wait and see.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: February 25, 2024, 9:47 pm It’s a spear tackle and hands between the legs
And it’s a MRC so anything is possible but yeah I think it’s a 1, maybe 2 weeks
He’s a rookie so his record is clean which will play in his favour
It was a lifting tackle, not a spear.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote:How was Hoppa at fullback by the way?
He was busy.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
The Nickman wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:25 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:09 pm Puru played first receiver for a little bit out there today. And looked great….

Looks to be a solid backup.
Good player. Can't see him getting much time in 1st grade this season unless there are injuries.
I reckon if he was playing on the wing he wouldn’t have let Feldt run around him four times
What's your point Nickman? We all know Jed Stuart isn't a first grader? Just looking for a bait?
Haha sorry bb, I was just being a bit cheeky.

I actually like Jed, I think some of the criticism of a young backup has been OTT, particularly by the likes of dubby who is meant to be a representative of this forum. More like a bag out the players forum.

As Botto said, the kid was clearly playing out of position on the wing and it showed. What’s his career potential? Honestly, I could see him playing 50 or so NRL games as a backup backrower.

He’s seriously not as bad as being thrown around here.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
The Nickman wrote: February 25, 2024, 3:46 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:Regardless of the outcome, this is a better game for the raiders than the cowboys.

Who was our best hooker?
I thought Danny Levi looked the best and the team was most cohesive when he was on the field.
Nice observation, Einstein. Might have something to do with the fact we had an NRL side out there when he was on the field.
Nah, that’s a good point too, and one that’s probably not been mentioned enough.

Levi looked better out there of the two, but he was out there with the best team. Woolford was out there with the B side and honestly should still deserve the starting gig on reputation.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Strange has been fined. No suspension. $1k early plea, $1500 if fight it and lose.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 26, 2024, 8:26 am Strange has been fined. No suspension. $1k early plea, $1500 if fight it and lose.
Would be peak raiders to pay $5k for a lawyer to fight it and lose.

Great outcome though and a little lucky I think, but let’s take it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The match review committee are probably feeling a little guilty after the very dodgy and incredibly inconsistent Horsburgh charge.

Good news for Strange.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

2024 Trial 2 v Cowboys: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Id walk away from that game happy if i was ricky, I wouldnt be as happy if I was the cowboys though.

When we had most of our first grades on the field the game was ours.

The second half the cowboys had a full strength first grade side, we had a team full of NSW cup players, kids and rookies.

If the cowboys didnt win that second half then that would of been a big worry for them.

And the fact the cowboys first grade team only scored one try but also let in one try against our second half team while they were up man, should worry the cowboys coach and please ricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thats fantastic news on Strange
I thought he'd get a week but i didnt think it would be worth more than that, didnt look nearly as bad when i watched it on a clear feed on Kayo

Take that win and run for sure.
Round 1: LH Fog RH. Strange

Make it so Stick
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Thats fantastic news on Strange
I thought he'd get a week but i didnt think it would be worth more than that, didnt look nearly as bad when i watched it on a clear feed on Kayo

Make it so Stick
Hahaha you 100% already know it’s gonna be RH Fog, LH Weekes, you should be able to feel it in your waters
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: February 26, 2024, 6:13 am
Bluesbrother wrote:
The Nickman wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:25 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:09 pm Puru played first receiver for a little bit out there today. And looked great….

Looks to be a solid backup.
Good player. Can't see him getting much time in 1st grade this season unless there are injuries.
I reckon if he was playing on the wing he wouldn’t have let Feldt run around him four times
What's your point Nickman? We all know Jed Stuart isn't a first grader? Just looking for a bait?
Haha sorry bb, I was just being a bit cheeky.

I actually like Jed, I think some of the criticism of a young backup has been OTT, particularly by the likes of dubby who is meant to be a representative of this forum. More like a bag out the players forum.

As Botto said, the kid was clearly playing out of position on the wing and it showed. What’s his career potential? Honestly, I could see him playing 50 or so NRL games as a backup backrower.

He’s seriously not as bad as being thrown around here.
I'm a fan of Jed's in reserve grade. Makes smart decisions, does a lot of 1 percenters off the ball, has great hands. Big lesson for him in the trial. He would not have played against a skill difference like that before with a passer like Drinkwater calling the shots.
I thought he would start transitioning inward once he got serious (this year) but he's either lost the genetics game for that body type or he's not forcing those extra calories into his diet just yet. Pre 2025 he either needs to start putting on size or engage the sprint trainer Kris did.
Guys like Noah Martin in the short term will keep him out of that second row spot in reserves, and be off playing first grade before Jed has completed that shift.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: February 26, 2024, 9:33 am

Make it so Stick
Hahaha you 100% already know it’s gonna be RH Fog, LH Weekes, you should be able to feel it in your waters
Im terrified we're getting RH Fog LH Weekes
And Stuart is going to send Strange back out there at left centre again! :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: February 26, 2024, 9:35 am
The Nickman wrote: February 26, 2024, 9:33 am

Make it so Stick
Im terrified we're getting RH Fog LH Weekes
And Stuart is going to send Strange back out there at left centre again! :lol:
I just genuinely hope that Stuart has used the trials to help inform those decisions and hadn't made his mind up prior.

I could totally live with:

1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Schiller
5. Savage
6. Strange (RH)
9. Levi (although it pains me to say this, and I would still play Woolford myself, but I think Levi did get the runs on the board in the trials albeit with the better team on the field)

Rather than:

1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Strange
5. Hopoate
6. Weekes (LH)
9. Levi

If we get that second lineup my toys will well and truly be out the cot.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

going to be a long season...and I don't mean playing finals.