25%

Total votes: 28

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by IBG »

A mixture of my preferred team with what I think Stuart will pick:

1. Rapana (Chevy is the future but I don't think he's quite ready, he will be eased in during the year)
2. Cotric
3. Schiller
4. Timoko
5. Savage (Could be Hoppa though...)
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papa
9. Levi (I know ... but if we are going on trial form he deserves it, everyone else was putrid)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead (Stop fighting it, it won't be anything else, so why bother)
13. Smithies

14. Puru (Can play hooker but shift to lock as well)
15. Mariota
16. Guler (Mooney didn't have the best game yesterday otherwise he would be here)
17. Hosking (Cover for backs)
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Surely Levi gets the starting nod over Woolford, with Starling on the bench?

The Hosking call about centre is an interesting one; had not considered it. Would it be marking Best? Schiller had a great semi against them up there last year (albeit on the wing) and was solid in the second trial and pretty spectacular in the first one. Despite some of the media stuff about Weekes, after yesterday's trial I can't see how Strange isn't at 5/8 unless Rocky pulls a Rocky.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Woolford should be getting the starting hooker for game 1. But he didn’t do himself any favours yesterday with some lazy efforts.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If Strange plays 5/8 , then Hoppa will be centre .
If Weekes 5/8 we should see Strange at centre.

Our backline could be
Raps , Cotric , Timoko , Hoppa , Savage , Strange and Fogs.

Hoppa played a lot of minutes , I think he is a Ricky favourite .
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I've surprised myself': Canberra Raiders star Jordan Rapana on weight loss, retirement talk and fullback plans

Jordan Rapana has shed five kilograms during his first full pre-season in more than five years and his lighter frame has convinced him he's up to the fullback challenge in what could be his NRL swansong. Maybe. Rapana is the favourite to take the Canberra Raiders' No.1 jersey for their season-opener against Newcastle.

"I've been thrown in there plenty of times throughout my career so I'm confident if I am to be put there. I've had a huge pre-season, the fittest I've been. I'm ready go. If I'm to play there I'm excited.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sounds like old Jordie Raps is going to go much better with a full pre-season under his belt.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can’t wait to hear about JordyRaps signing a contract extension end 2025.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

What a great signing Rapana has turned out to be for the Raiders.

200+ games, 100 tries and a dozen games for NZ. One of my all time favourites.

Such a shame he didn’t get a ring :cry:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ok, let's cut to the chase and say Rapana will play FB, likely until Stewart is ready.

Hopefully that means Cotric and Savage on the wing.

The big question is 6. I expect Stuart will make an easy call and play Weekes at 6 and use Strange to fill in for Kris in the centres.

The worst outcome would see Hopoate and Schiller named.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha cut to the chase
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If strange is going to be forced to play left centre or left half, I’d almost prefer he not be named at all

I say almost because I’d still rather he play but man I’m going to be concerned and disappointed if that is how it plays out
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m getting some bad vibes.

Where we think Strange should play and where the coach thinks he should play.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If there's only one Sticky surprise/disappointment, I'll take that
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Knights by 49.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I had kind of ruled out Rapana in my mind for fullback since he had said he was too old for it last year.
But fit, lighter and happy Rapa is probably the absolute best person for the job.
Love him as a player and will be very solid.

He will also enjoy a week or two back on the ding during the year to blood Chevy which is ideal.

If Ricky got in Rapana’s ear last year to prime him for the off-season it’s a true heads up play from Stick.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: February 26, 2024, 4:56 pm If strange is going to be forced to play left centre or left half, I’d almost prefer he not be named at all

I say almost because I’d still rather he play but man I’m going to be concerned and disappointed if that is how it plays out
I think it's more likely stuart has only been looking to fill the left half role, he likes to keep things simple, replace a left half with a left half and don't cause other disruptions(moving Fogarty in his eyes is unnecessary).

I'm with you though, Strange looks so natural on the right and Fogarty has never really struck up any sort of combo with anyone on the right but I just don't think ricky is going to change Fogarty to the left this late in the pre season when it probably wasn't ever on his radar.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I completely agree
But I think if it has not been on Stuart’s radar that’s a failing of coaching and long term planning

It’s been on the radar of people on this site since before pre season. Fog should have been training all off season at left half with the intention that at some point this year we expect Strange to be the right half and somewhere down the line, Sanders will be his left half partner

This is the stuff that drives me crazy with Stuart. He’d rather chase an extra 2-3 wins by not making his journeyman halfback uncomfortable than to take his medicine and allow the 19 potential superstar to ease into fg in a position he’s comfortable in.

It makes no sense, particularly in a season where we are not realistically competing for a title
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I'd like to see fogarty at 6 and strange at 7... Jack who ?
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

This is my round 1 predicted side (trying to get it as close as possible to the side named there next tuesday)
1. Rapana
2. Savage
3. Timoko
4. Schiller
5. Cotric
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papa
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Smithies
14. Starling
15. Mariota
16. Saulo
17. Hosking
18. Hopoate
19. Weekes
20. Guler
21. Woolford
22. Sasagi
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Would be happy with that, which means it wont happen with Stick
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Neeeegz wrote: February 26, 2024, 7:24 pm I'd like to see fogarty at 6 and strange at 7... Jack who ?
I can see this happening.

I’d say with certainty this will be our back 5:

1. Rapana
2. Savage
3. Schiller
4. Timoko
5. Cotric

Asomua needs a spot ASAP. He’s a player!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

No talk so far of Weekes playing at left center or fullback but it is an option. He has mostly played fullback in his senior career.

Now that Strange has only received a fine for his lifting tackle I would definitely have him playing 5/8. The fullback spot is wide open with talk of Rapa to play his finals role of last season. Xav would be my pick for the spot. I don't know that Stewart is ready for the NRL at this point in his career. Kris is suspended. Hoppa has been tried at center and FB in the trials. I would not have him in either of those positions. That leaves Weekes as a possibility of FB. It is his favored position. Team list Tuesday next week will be keenly watched.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

RedRaider wrote: February 26, 2024, 8:35 pm No talk so far of Weekes playing at left center or fullback but it is an option. He has mostly played fullback in his senior career.

Now that Strange has only received a fine for his lifting tackle I would definitely have him playing 5/8. The fullback spot is wide open with talk of Rapa to play his finals role of last season. Xav would be my pick for the spot. I don't know that Stewart is ready for the NRL at this point in his career. Kris is suspended. Hoppa has been tried at center and FB in the trials. I would not have him in either of those positions. That leaves Weekes as a possibility of FB. It is his favored position. Team list Tuesday next week will be keenly watched.
Fullback was my prediction in pre-season. It might have been a good option.
But it would also mean the moment Fog or Strange miss a week, you have to move the fullback.
Lack of any sort of depth in the halves makes it all a bit difficult
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

By the looks of it we are going to have some real problems filling that left side half. I don't see fog moving from the right but it's clear that strange is a better player than weekes and he is by far more comfortable on the right. I still maintain that for this year the difference between winning and losing will depend on fogs boot. If fog can kick on the left side than it's an easy decision but if not strange will need to play left and he will likely interchange with Weekes depending on form.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Strange would be fine either side IMO.

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 27, 2024, 5:17 am Strange would be fine either side IMO.

Yeah, I agree. He’s a baller and, if Ricky has decided to keep Fogs on the right, both Strange and Kaeo would’ve had all season preparing for the left.

Just on Ricky moving Fogs, it’s not totally out of the question. He’s moved Rapa’s side multiple times and he moved Whitehead from the left to the right to accommodate Young, which was a fairly big call considering how established Whithead was.

Moving a half is a bigger deal but Jack had the left side sown up, so Fogs only had the option of playing right side when he arrived. It’s possible Ricky and Fogs prefer him on the left anyway.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That was something I was asking earlier, has Fog played left side before? I assume he went to the right because Jack was the marquee player and could only attack on the left.

Do we remember what side he played at the titans?

I also like the idea of Strange playing alongside Whitehead / Hosking and having a simple plan to get early ball to Tomoko.

I also like the idea of a left side with Fog, Young, Kris and Savage with Rapana / Stewart sweeping around the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

At the titans he played mostly with Ash Taylor who was a left side player, so he played right. He's definitely played right more than left, but 30 years old and not even 100 games to his name. He's the sort of player you put where ever is the best for the team. Id wager he's probably played a bit of left half in his near 100 games in reggies though as at some point he was probably forced to switch sides to accommodate a player his club was trying to develop as a RH.

And there is no question in my mind what so ever, short term, long term... if Strange is in FG, the best thing for the club short and long term is the prioritise his develop and growth, and to allow him the best opportunity to succeed early in his career, gain affirmation about that success, to know he belongs at the next level and allow his confidence and game to grow from there.

It's actually set up perfectly if we are taking a long view approach
We have a 30 year old half veteran. We're actively recruiting a guy we want to replace him, that player is a LH.
We have 19 year old potential superstar who is so clearly a much better RH than LH at this stage of his young career.

The logical thing? We ask the veteran to switch sides, and allow the young rookie to come into the team in a position he's most confident and comfortable in.
If all goes to plan (not just the fans plan btw, pretty much the expressed stated plan for the club), now you have a situation structurally where by once Sanders is ready, he drops into the LH spot. No one shuffles, no one needs to adjust, and we've hopefully got a RH somewhat established who can help ease that transition.

Honestly i think playing Strange at anything but RH would be redefining "not seeing the forest through the trees"
Winning games in 2024 would be nice but there is a larger more important situation at hand here, and we need to be working to a solution to that
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I expect Strange will be named at either #6 or #3 and will play the left side, because i dont think Stuart has the sees much beyond wanting to win a game this week and he would see keeping his veteran half in his preferred spot as the best way to win games in 2024.

And i hope and pray to the footy gods that im wrong about that. I am hoping the 2nd trail where Stuart gave the young man a crack at RH and he was the best player on the field against a full strength Cowboys team will push Stuart into committing to that now. And if he does, no one will praise him more for that decision than me.

Good news... only 1 week and about 7 hrs left of mindless speculation. :lol:
RaiderDavo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by RaiderDavo »

They had Mick Crawley on big sports breakfast this morning and he was asked about team selections without giving too much away. He said the team was basically picked a month ago. So in regards to that comment I think that Weekes will be starting. Which is a shame because I think Strange deserves that halves spot!!

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

RaiderDavo wrote: February 27, 2024, 9:19 am They had Mick Crawley on big sports breakfast this morning and he was asked about team selections without giving too much away. He said the team was basically picked a month ago. So in regards to that comment I think that Weekes will be starting.
Which is a shame because I think Strange deserves that halves spot!!

If that’s the case - it would show that our pig-headed coaching staff won’t be changing their spots in 2024 (shocking I know).

What on earth is the point of even having trials if you aren’t going allow new information to guide your decision making?

Once again, the message it sends to those on the outside trying to break into the first grade team is really poor.
RaiderDavo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by RaiderDavo »

Rickmando wrote:
RaiderDavo wrote: February 27, 2024, 9:19 am They had Mick Crawley on big sports breakfast this morning and he was asked about team selections without giving too much away. He said the team was basically picked a month ago. So in regards to that comment I think that Weekes will be starting.
Which is a shame because I think Strange deserves that halves spot!!

If that’s the case - it would show that our pig-headed coaching staff won’t be changing their spots in 2024 (shocking I know).

What on earth is the point of even having trials if you aren’t going allow new information to guide your decision making?

Once again, the message it sends to those on the outside trying to break into the first grade team is really poor.
Absolutely!!

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m hoping Strange is selected at #6 v Knights.

The other option is to pick Strange at centre and have Weekes at 6.

The better option for rnd 1 is #3 Schiller and #6 Strange.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

Players in bold are locks

1 - Rapana
2 - Cotric/Schiller
3 - Schiller/Hosking
4 - Timoko
5 - Savage/Hopoate
6 - Strange/Weekes
7 - Fogarty
8 - Papali'i
9 - Levi/Woolford
10 - Tapine
11 - Young
12 - Whitehead
13 - Smithies

14 - Starling
15 - Guler
16 - Mariota/Saulo/Hola
17 - Hosking/Puru/Mooney/Sasagi
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-PJ- wrote: February 27, 2024, 10:46 am I’m hoping Strange is selected at #6 v Knights.

The other option is to pick Strange at centre and have Weekes at 6.

The better option for rnd 1 is #3 Schiller and #6 Strange.
I'd say the vast majority of those who watched the trials agree with you there