'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 4, 2024, 9:36 pm How do you think he'd look in red?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
If you’re talking rugby union in Queensland, which I suspect, they’d be a fair way back in the queue.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Danaman137 »

My only justification for his non incision in FG is that Stick sees him as a bona-fide jersey 8 prop and wants him playing big minutes in cup getting experience as the number 1 alpha dog forward pack leader while he’s young rather than him playing a bench role behind Taps, Papa and Horse in FG.

I recall him being named captain of the Cup team a few times last year when toots was injured/ playing first grade. Interesting that they’ve opted to go with Puru this year.

I’d argue he’d be better off playing Guler’s/Saulo’s/Mariota’s 20-40 mins in FG but I just hope he and Ricky have some sort of understanding because I’d hate to lose him.

Ricky is finally using a 17 man rotation and not just leaving the 17th man to rot until the 73rd minute, there needs to be a spot for Trey.

He’s a devastating talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:

If you’re talking rugby union in Queensland, which I suspect, they’d be a fair way back in the queue.
The dolphins?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: April 4, 2024, 10:41 pm
greeneyed wrote:

The dolphins?

Western Reds reboot?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He's definitely stepped it up a notch this season. Lock him in.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:

No, I don't think he'd be suited to Union at all.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

T_R wrote:How do you think he'd look in red?

Not sure Trey’s quite got the footwork to play for Manchester Utd.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

The dolphins?

Western Reds reboot?
Is it a walking clock?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

The dolphins?

Western Reds reboot?
Is it a walking clock?
I wager it’s some kind of walking clock.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Well TR, Is it a walking clock?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Live video of Mooney
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

simo wrote:I know hes unreal and has a lot of upside, but should we be blowing all our percent cap on one player?
It’s pretty clear this means he’s signed elsewhere and we’re trying to make sure he isn’t lodged on their percentage cap with the NRL for anything less than 1000000%.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone else remember that time TR brought his dog to the Mooney thread?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You mean this one?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I try to change the subject to my first love - men's fashion - and this is what I get.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Anyone else remember that time TR brought his dog to the Mooney thread?
Remember when greeneyed saw Snagglepuss outside?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

IBG wrote: April 4, 2024, 5:59 pm Send Parra Cotric and Guler for Sanders this year... kill two birds with one stone... frees up a spot and money for Mooney too. (I know this won't happen)
I don't think we'd be able to find anyone willing to take Cotric off our hands. Even at 6 months that's a decent hit to the cap.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Hi TR, did you mean Red V?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

President Clinton wrote:Hi TR, did you mean Red V?
I think he means something like this.

Quite fetching, really.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:14 pm
Raider47 wrote:Having Pasami Saulo and Emre Guler the reason why we lose Trey Mooney is gonna go down as one our greatest ****.
Nah. There was that American that Tim Sheens recruited….
Kelton Alexander :lol:

I think keeping Germ over Priddis was one of our worst mistakes
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:57 pm
Bloody_Burnham wrote: April 4, 2024, 8:17 pm Can only speculate why Trey hasn't been given more of a run to date:

(a) Stick has seen something in his game (i.e. defensive/play the ball issues) that he wants Trey to work on before giving him more of a run in first grade. Personally I think this would be abit over the top/fastidious given the qualities he offers with his yardage/physicality;

(b) The club is deliberately bringing him on slowly because he is only 21 and front rowers tend to peak later in their careers. Having seen the amount of injuries Payne Haas has also suffered now, there are risks with bringing on young front rowers too early given the physicality of the position;

(c) Trey has essentially indicated he wants to leave for another opportunity back in Sydney and or has basically agreed to terms with another club.

(d) It's been a deliberate tactic by the club to hold him back abit to keep his market value down.

Most likely option b I think but we will lose him if we aren't careful.
I can only go on what Trey’s father has said on Facebook… that is, Trey wants to stay with the Raiders and play on with the team mates he’s come through with, and knows there’s something special about to happen. So I reckon we can get rid of (c).

There’s no doubt other clubs are approaching him and want him though. That’s what happens when a club decides to let a player go off contract and on the open market.

I honestly don’t get what the club is doing.
GE, we know that parents are totally rational, right?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: April 5, 2024, 8:04 am
Raider47 wrote:Having Pasami Saulo and Emre Guler the reason why we lose Trey Mooney is gonna go down as one our greatest ****.

Weren’t we going to sign Cameron Smith as well? And don’t get me started on Matt Elliott over Craig Bellamy
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: April 5, 2024, 8:55 am
dubby wrote: April 5, 2024, 8:04 am

Weren’t we going to sign Cameron Smith as well? And don’t get me started on Matt Elliott over Craig Bellamy
I think Smith knocked us back.

And yeah, choosing Matt Elliott over Bellamy 😖

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

tbf, Smith and Thurstons biggest offers were from the Raiders and they turned them down, it's not like the Raiders didn't have a crack at them. Imagine how things might've been if they both signed.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Matt Elliott over Bellamy will never not be our biggest missed opportunity.

Just look at the carousel of comedy coaches we have had in that time, while Melbourne have had both elite success and continuity…
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:27 am Matt Elliott over Bellamy will never not be our biggest missed opportunity.

Just look at the carousel of comedy coaches we have had in that time, while Melbourne have had both elite success and continuity…
The irony is it’s the one time the club has strayed from the family farm hiring structure and it cost us big time :roflmao
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Riaan wrote: April 5, 2024, 10:16 am
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2024, 9:27 am Matt Elliott over Bellamy will never not be our biggest missed opportunity.

The irony is it’s the one time the club has strayed from the family farm hiring structure and it cost us big time :roflmao
Yes that’s about as ironic as it gets isn’t it?

I wonder if one of the decision-makers may have had a personal axe to grind with Bellamy and vetoed it?

Or maybe because he wasn’t a true Queanbeyan/ACT blue blood? Fairly sure he came to us out of the Newcastle comp originally.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

It was before the Queanbeyan crew came back on board. Kevin Neil and Robert Finch were running things so I doubt they had personal issues with him. It was just a dud call but at the time Bellamy only had a presidents cup win under his belt.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

"We definitely 1 million percent want to keep him... behind Guler and Saulo!!"

I think the most likely explanation for his non-inclusion is that Ricky just thinks props shouldn't pay regular firsts until they're a bit older
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rickmando wrote:
Riaan wrote: April 5, 2024, 10:16 am

Yes that’s about as ironic as it gets isn’t it?

I wonder if one of the decision-makers may have had a personal axe to grind with Bellamy and vetoed it?

Or maybe because he wasn’t a true Queanbeyan/ACT blue blood? Fairly sure he came to us out of the Newcastle comp originally.
Maybe the opposite? Maybe the decision maker was so scarred they never go outside again for fear of making the same mistake again Image
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Looks like he's in a long queue of contract extension negotiations.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

It might be good to play him if you are that keen to keep him
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Call me stupid, if we want to keep him, give the guy some hope and name him in firsts.
Not like he hasn't earned it.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

A good player and I hope Raiders can keep him, but offering him 1,000,000% of the salary cap seems like overs.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sid wrote: April 6, 2024, 4:00 pm A good player and I hope Raiders can keep him, but offering him 1,000,000% of the salary cap seems like overs.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
It won't look so bad in 2026 with cap inflation.