Titans 13+
20%

Total votes: 25

Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Andymachine »

pickles wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:36 am Not sure that Woolford is a suitable bench player. He is solid and good at delivering crisp ball to get the forwards rolling forward and defends well but doesn't offer much in terms of a running game and basically every time he kicks its a disaster. Starling at least brings a change in style that might be required in some games where structure isn't working. At his best he has been able to bring that to the team.

Will be interesting to see how the pack pulls up after that game. There were a few players down at different points but that may create the opportunity to bring Mooney into this side.

Home game against a team we should beat comfortably on the back of a strong win..... what could possibly go wrong?
Starling's change of style is a net negative IMO. I would say that the last time Starling provided a game turning [positive] change of style with his running game was back when Hodgo was still with us and moving to lock when Starling came on. It's been a long time since Starling has looked good. He got 20 minutes yesterday in a game we dominated and ran one time for 5m. He currently provides nothing good for us when he comes on and it's been the case for a few seasons now. Woolford would at least keep our forwards coming onto the ball. I'd prefer Puru or Sasagi in the 14 over both of them though. Levi can go 80 minutes.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Andymachine wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:53 am
pickles wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:36 am Not sure that Woolford is a suitable bench player. He is solid and good at delivering crisp ball to get the forwards rolling forward and defends well but doesn't offer much in terms of a running game and basically every time he kicks its a disaster. Starling at least brings a change in style that might be required in some games where structure isn't working. At his best he has been able to bring that to the team.

Will be interesting to see how the pack pulls up after that game. There were a few players down at different points but that may create the opportunity to bring Mooney into this side.

Home game against a team we should beat comfortably on the back of a strong win..... what could possibly go wrong?
Starling's change of style is a net negative IMO. I would say that the last time Starling provided a game turning [positive] change of style with his running game was back when Hodgo was still with us and moving to lock when Starling came on. It's been a long time since Starling has looked good. He got 20 minutes yesterday in a game we dominated and ran one time for 5m. He currently provides nothing good for us when he comes on and it's been the case for a few seasons now. Woolford would at least keep our forwards coming onto the ball. I'd prefer Puru or Sasagi in the 14 over both of them though. Levi can go 80 minutes.
Couldn't agree more.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Andymachine wrote:

He peaked during peak Vlandys ball where everything was a set restart and it was basically a game of touch footy.

Now they've wound that back he's nowhere near as effective

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Starling's best recent performance was when levi broke his jaw and Tommy played 70mins, this whole "bring the chaos" doesn't work but any more than 50mins Levi starts struggling worse.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think this is the perfect week for Rapana to have a rest and not turn that knee niggle into a surgery. I wouldn't have put him back on. Give the kid a run.
Levi looked like he could go 80 in that Parra game but it was a very stop/start game and we dominated for most of it.
Assuming Hopoate, Whitehead and Corey Horse will also be out.

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. James Schiller
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papali'i
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Zac Woolford
15. Pasami Saulo
16. Ata Mariota
17. Trey Mooney
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Starling is the luckiest bloke to make the 17 each week without a question imo. Maybe he brings something to the squad off the field that I don't see, but I agree 100% with others that he's not adding any value on the field. Levi, Hopoate and Saulo you can all make arguments for even if there are other guys who you would probably go with before them. I struggle to see the argument for Starling... any idea that he provides impact is based on performances from several seasons ago.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

A lot of people are picking Stewart in their 17 for this game if Rapana is rested, but I think chances of it happening are incredibly slim. Far more likely that Kris or even Savage will go to fullback with Sasagi or Hopoate to go to the centres. Hard to speculate on how we might line up without knowing who will be available and I think there are a few different options we could go with, but Stewart to fullback for this round is the most unlikely outcome imo.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 8, 2024, 1:38 pm Starling is the luckiest bloke to make the 17 each week without a question imo. Maybe he brings something to the squad off the field that I don't see, but I agree 100% with others that he's not adding any value on the field. Levi, Hopoate and Saulo you can all make arguments for even if there are other guys who you would probably go with before them. I struggle to see the argument for Starling... any idea that he provides impact is based on performances from several seasons ago.
Starling certainly hasn't been killing it but I don't think we have a utility in the team who has the capacity to play big minutes at hooker in the case of an injury. I could be wrong about that but there isn't anyone in the forward rotation that jumps out to me.

So based on the assumption that we need to carry a hooker on the bench and that Levi has locked ion the starting role at the moment it only leaves 3 options. Starling, who has not set the world on fire but defends strongly and doesn't make many errors, Woolford who is solid but pretty one dimensional, or Trevilian who is untested at NRL level.

Given that we are talking about a player who is likely to get 20 minutes off the bench I don't think it has a massive impact. If you are going to play Woolford for 20 minutes he is probably better off starting the game though.

Maybe Trevilian will emerge as a genuine option but in terms of development he is probably better off playing longer minutes in lower grades for the moment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Dorguson', 'Leipana' and now ... Kris-X? Raiders bromances inspire a new combo

Dorguson has been and gone. There's only one half of Leipana left. But could highlights of Leipana ignite the next Green Machine bromance - Kris X? Xavier Savage and Sebastian Kris are in the embryonic stages of their left-edge, centre-wing pairing and it was all inspired by footage of an early Canberra Raiders backline duo.

So what do we call them? Kravage? Sris? Kris X - pronounced "Kris Kross", a la moto-x or the the 1990s hip-hop group if you remember these guys - has a certain ring to it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

It's Kravage, stupid!
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

1. Rapana (Chevy if unavailable)
2. Schiller
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papa
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Hosking
13. Smithies
14. Starling
15. Mariota (mooney if unavailable)
16. Sasagi
17. Saulo
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

pickles wrote: April 8, 2024, 2:25 pm
Starling certainly hasn't been killing it but I don't think we have a utility in the team who has the capacity to play big minutes at hooker in the case of an injury. I could be wrong about that but there isn't anyone in the forward rotation that jumps out to me.

So based on the assumption that we need to carry a hooker on the bench and that Levi has locked ion the starting role at the moment it only leaves 3 options. Starling, who has not set the world on fire but defends strongly and doesn't make many errors, Woolford who is solid but pretty one dimensional, or Trevilian who is untested at NRL level.

Given that we are talking about a player who is likely to get 20 minutes off the bench I don't think it has a massive impact. If you are going to play Woolford for 20 minutes he is probably better off starting the game though.

Maybe Trevilian will emerge as a genuine option but in terms of development he is probably better off playing longer minutes in lower grades for the moment.
Considering that we don't need our bench hooker to play anything other than hooker for 20-25 mins, I'd go with Woolford or Trevilyan. Go with either one and rotate them so they can get good game time in NSW cup in case either of them ever has to play out big minutes in first grade if there's a injury. Their service out of dummy half is more reliable than Starling's imo.

Fine to have Starling in the 17 when we're pounding the Eels... but when we're behind and trying to catch up in the final 20 minutes like the previous week he becomes a liability.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Starling has had some great moments this season, including when he stopped a charging Marzhew one-on-one, which allowed he and Papa to drive Marzhew back in goal. He’s had other big defensive efforts like that and his energy is noticeable most weeks.

That said, his attacking influence is minimal. Other hookers are still causing havoc running from dummy-half - see Egan on the weekend. But Tommy hasn’t got anywhere near the V’landysball days.

I don’t mind him in 14 though I would like to see how Woolford handles it. And I still feel like my original position of Woolford to start and Starling/Levi at 14 (or Puru) may still be correct.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Campbell in a moon boot. Foran and Campbell going for scans .
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Titans really are in a pretty bad way. If we're serious about this season we should absolutely give them the business next weekend.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:The Titans really are in a pretty bad way. If we're serious about this season we should absolutely give them the business next weekend.
After 3 13+ wins so far this year we 100% should

However I would not be surprised if we come out like we did vs the sharks and fumble and bumble to a 24-22 win

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We are at home , they are broken and desperate.

They made a comeback on the weekend after Cows were down a man.

We should towel them up and I think we will. Even if Horse and Raps are out
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Aim to keep them scoreless and the rest will look after itself.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: April 8, 2024, 2:59 pm It's Kravage, stupid!
Ooohhh he card read good!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders sweat on scans for Rapana and Horsburgh, while Hopoate will miss another week

The Raiders are sweating on the outcome of scans for prop Corey Horsburgh (hernia/groin) and fullback Jordan Rapana (meniscus). Both suffered injuries in Sunday’s match against the Eels at Canberra Stadium.

Meanwhile, Raiders coach Ricky Stuart confirmed outside-back Albert Hopoate (burns) would miss another week. Ata Mariota (slight MCL strain) was cleared of serious injury on Monday, but Elliott Whitehead (calf) is unlikely to come back for another one to two weeks.

Injury update: Jordan Rapana and Corey Horsburgh: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... horsburgh/

'You're my favourite': moment of pure joy sums up dream footy double: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

That’s funny, on the league live app they’re saying that the Raiders have confirmed that both of them have no serious injuries…
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 8, 2024, 2:01 pm A lot of people are picking Stewart in their 17 for this game if Rapana is rested, but I think chances of it happening are incredibly slim. Far more likely that Kris or even Savage will go to fullback with Sasagi or Hopoate to go to the centres. Hard to speculate on how we might line up without knowing who will be available and I think there are a few different options we could go with, but Stewart to fullback for this round is the most unlikely outcome imo.
I've noticed the same thing.

Kris isn't our long term fullback. He should be our long term centre.

If Rapana is rested, I'd consider putting someone at FB that we could consider with a longer term view. Every top side has a fullback. I dont know yet if we are a "top side" ( I think not yet).... so I'd name a side that has a starting fullback that is long term.

My gut tells me that switching Rapana and Savage during the game is not something Stuart is keen on doing. Which is weird. 2022 Savage was pretty good.. so there could be data points for Stuat's decision here that aren't obvious to us.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It really is the perfect opportunity to give Stewart a debut.

Therefore I expect to see Rapana rested and Hopoate at 1 at 4pm tomorrow.

And I’ll add that I think it would be once again unfair on Seb Kris to shift him away from centre when there are other better options at 1.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: Also, this is an important game for us - let’s see whether we get complacent against the team likely to finish at the bottom.
Did you forget about Souths? Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How about this for a stat or three…

The Raiders’ three wins this year have been by an average of 23 points. Their smallest win - 16 points - was bigger than any of the 13 wins they had last year. Just 10 per cent of the Raiders' wins over the past 15 years have been by 19 points or more.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

When hopoate "has" to come back in, it should be at centre with Kris to fullback.
Stewart is showing good signs in cup, strong, not getting driven back, takes hard carries,
I'd say not quite ready, but close.
Just to give rapa a week off for niggles
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Hopa is out for another week so there’s also a good chance he returns via cup round 8
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Hoppa on brimson.. i don't think so
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Neeeegz wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:45 pm When hopoate "has" to come back in, it should be at centre with Kris to fullback.
Stewart is showing good signs in cup, strong, not getting driven back, takes hard carries,
Disagree. Savage will catch a cold outside of Hoppa, as every time he touches the ball is an opportunity for a hit up, which he gladly takes. The ball does with Hoppa. He should be wing or nothing.

I haven't been watching NSW Cup so I dont know how Chevy is going. If it's not him then I think Savage is the clear best choice to play fullback for a week if Rapa needs a rest. As well as Savage being a better fullback than the others, it would allow Kris to stay at centre where he plays his best footy, and if Hoppa must play then it would allow him to come in on the wing.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

radicalraider wrote:Hoppa on brimson.. i don't think so
Brimson stinks as a centre.

The sooner they move him back to either five eighth or fullback the sooner they might look like being competitive

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 8, 2024, 1:19 pm
Andymachine wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:53 am

Couldn't agree more.
The first time we saw Starling properly was when we had Hodgson and he got injured the first time (can't remember what year that was) ... he was great then if I recall....

I havent been paying specific attention, what has changed???? Why was he so effective then and not so much now?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I think teams have realised he is a 1 trick pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Andymachine wrote: April 8, 2024, 11:11 pm
Neeeegz wrote: April 8, 2024, 9:45 pm When hopoate "has" to come back in, it should be at centre with Kris to fullback.
Disagree. Savage will catch a cold outside of Hoppa, as every time he touches the ball is an opportunity for a hit up, which he gladly takes. The ball does with Hoppa. He should be wing or nothing.

I haven't been watching NSW Cup so I dont know how Chevy is going. If it's not him then I think Savage is the clear best choice to play fullback for a week if Rapa needs a rest. As well as Savage being a better fullback than the others, it would allow Kris to stay at centre where he plays his best footy, and if Hoppa must play then it would allow him to come in on the wing.
Wingers with speed is what we should stick with. We haven't scored long ranges tries like we did against Parra... well.. I cant remember for how long.

But I understand, hoppa for some reason must come in. I'll leave it for Stuart to make the decision. I just would leave our centres and wingers in tact.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Rick wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:10 am I think teams have realised he is a 1 trick pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does Cook do that Starling can't?
Maybe he needs to mirror more of Cook's game. Don't know.

Its a shame, because he was really effective a few years back for us. I do notice when he comes on we drop.

I struggle to also understand why Woolford isn't either let go or put back in our starting side. I rate him as our number 1 hooker. I do see Levi improving tho.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

We have struggled to have any attacking identity for years now, but last night I think we saw the birth of one.

Right side featured the power of Timoko and the speed of Schiller.

Left side it is clear that Kris and Savage have great chemistry and Savage's speed is lethal.

Pls Ricky, keep it as is.