Titans 13+
20%

Total votes: 25

Thomas Roy
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Thomas Roy »

Wow i agree with you for once Billy Dubya :) we just need a good hooker and we'd be a top team :thumbsup
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

if rapana can't make our 17 we are flying, if you want his jersey you'll have to fight for it and that's one his great qualities

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

PerthRaider86 wrote:
zim wrote: April 9, 2024, 5:25 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: April 9, 2024, 5:00 pm We all know Hoppa will come right back in no matter how we play on sunday
One of the most exciting teams we've had in a while and you still find something to cry about.
Im very excited about this team. I am looking forward to the game on sunday

But past Ricky shows that his favourites will always get called straight back in
well if Schiller let's in as many as he scores he'll be back in reggies

Edrick The Entertainer
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

In the long run or better in the near furture I am really excited for a raiders side that is consistent and well balanced so then the wins will follow.

But the the thing is nothing better than experience, and a team that's been together for a while, like why the panthers are so successful.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: April 10, 2024, 11:52 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 10, 2024, 7:43 am
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:08 pm Sam Verrills and I got to the same barber (literally) and he would 100% fit with the culture of the club - is a top bloke.

I think we will and should sign Rapana for next year. Asomua is looking promising but still raw and he will 100% play first grade next year but I can’t see Rapana not being one of our best 3 wingers.

In saying that Hopa is signed until 2025 so if it is a case of keeping Schiller or Rapana, what would you do? You could probably keep both but anyways
I think Jordan should retire. Better to go a year early. He shouldn't be in the 17 next season.
Agree - in fact if the back 3 fire over the next 6-8 weeks and the team is flying it might be challenging for him to find a way back in. That opinion might upset some but geez it would be a great position for the club to be in.
It’ll be a very sad day when J.Rapana is no longer on a Raiders team sheet.

Sheer competitive spirit will keep him there as long as his body allows, but Father Time is undefeated
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 9, 2024, 8:08 pm Sam Verrills and I got to the same barber (literally) and he would 100% fit with the culture of the club - is a top bloke.

I think we will and should sign Rapana for next year. Asomua is looking promising but still raw and he will 100% play first grade next year but I can’t see Rapana not being one of our best 3 wingers.

In saying that Hopa is signed until 2025 so if it is a case of keeping Schiller or Rapana, what would you do? You could probably keep both but anyways
I think Jordan should retire. Better to go a year early. He shouldn't be in the 17 next season.
Agree - in fact if the back 3 fire over the next 6-8 weeks and the team is flying it might be challenging for him to find a way back in. That opinion might upset some but geez it would be a great position for the club to be in.
I can't recall when Rapa has ever backed away from a challenge in his time at the Raiders. I don't expect him to start now. If his knee is good to go in 6-8 weeks and he is doing the training with the squad, then I reckon Sticky will pick him. He has such a great 'never beaten' attitude to his football. Nay sayers will be right one day, but not yet .... not yet. Roll on the return of Rapa.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Thomas Roy wrote:Wow i agree with you for once Billy Dubya :) we just need a good hooker and we'd be a top team :thumbsup
We have Hooker options, when the Levi breaks we have Woodford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Kryptonite wrote:
Thomas Roy wrote:Wow i agree with you for once Billy Dubya :) we just need a good hooker and we'd be a top team :thumbsup
We have Hooker options, when the Levi breaks we have Woodford

Hope you're being facetious..

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Papali is Raider 300.

Chev Stewart is 396

For a while I have been wondering who will be 400?

This year we have already had Hosking, Smithies, Sasagi and Stewart represent the Raiders. I am not sure if that many more, who have not already played, will be given an opportunity from the Cup side.

Obvious ones are Weeks or Asomua.

Bold prediction. Sanders will be Raider 400.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: April 10, 2024, 1:55 pm

I can't recall when Rapa has ever backed away from a challenge in his time at the Raiders. I don't expect him to start now. If his knee is good to go in 6-8 weeks and he is doing the training with the squad, then I reckon Sticky will pick him. He has such a great 'never beaten' attitude to his football. Nay sayers will be right one day, but not yet .... not yet. Roll on the return of Rapa.
I suspect you are right and he will be back - he just keeps on keeping on and playing good footy so all credit to him. My sense is we are a good team. Good puts us finishing somewhere around 5th to 8th. I want to see us go to great or even exceptional and to get there we need current player to find a bit more or new players to come in and improve the team. I’m not critical of anything Raps has offered up this year, he’s been very good. But geez I’d love if these back three took us to a new level where we question if there is a way back for Raps. That is pretty much what has happened with Whitehead and our new backrow. It would be brilliant if Mooney and Ata performed at a level where it was impossible to drop them. At the end of the day with a fully fit squad we are going to have some very good players missing out on the 17 each week. That’s a new thing for us, but it’s what good teams look like. Hoskings couldn’t crack a start at the Panthers last year comes finals time. Can you imagine how good it would be if some of these young forwards caught fire to such a point that a fully fit Papa and Hors were struggling to find a way in. Again no knock on either of them - Papa has been great (Hors horrible) but I’d love to see us find the extra % here and there.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Rick wrote: April 10, 2024, 2:43 pm Papali is Raider 300.

Chev Stewart is 396

For a while I have been wondering who will be 400?

This year we have already had Hosking, Smithies, Sasagi and Stewart represent the Raiders. I am not sure if that many more, who have not already played, will be given an opportunity from the Cup side.

Obvious ones are Weeks or Asomua.

Bold prediction. Sanders will be Raider 400.

Most years they hit 30+ players and are only up to 26. So Weekes 397, Asomua 398. Then Martin I reckon will get a run at some point. The next most likely is probably Jed Stuart, which tbh the club could get some promotional mileage out of.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Rickmando wrote: April 10, 2024, 1:27 pm

Sheer competitive spirit will keep him there as long as his body allows, but Father Time is undefeated
I have a suggestion if I may be so bold.

At present, for mine the odd man out is Tom Starling.

In a team packed full of players in pretty good form and/or banging down the down from NSW cup I don't think Starling is doing enough to hold his place.

On the proviso that Levi can play 80 minutes (not unreasonable as Levi's strength appears to be his fitness), I wouldn't say no to Rapana in the 14. He can come on, bounce around and be a lunatic for about 30 minutes a game and cause havoc.

It might bring us energy and prolong his career too.

Over to the GH brains trust as to whether that is a good idea or not.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 10, 2024, 3:13 pm

In a team packed full of players in pretty good form and/or banging down the down from NSW cup I don't think Starling is doing enough to hold his place.

On the proviso that Levi can play 80 minutes (not unreasonable as Levi's strength appears to be his fitness), I wouldn't say no to Rapana in the 14. He can come on, bounce around and be a lunatic for about 30 minutes a game and cause havoc.

I’ll tell you in 6 weeks when we see how the new back 3 are travelling and what other injuries we have across the squad
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Damien cook anyone for a season or 2
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:10 pm Damien cook anyone for a season or 2
Poor man’s Starling and neither can lace a boot to Danny L
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 10, 2024, 3:13 pm

We tried that for a few games in 2020 when he was in rugby union shape. I don't think it's something that's a sustainable tactic based on how it went then, he just looked a bit clueless in the middle.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I wouldn’t be against giving Rapa another 12 months, yes his speed has gone but he offers the team so much more. He’s not in the Whitehead category of being pretty much completely past it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders urge fans to be patient with teen fullback Chevy Stewart

Canberra players are urging their fans to be patient when the side unleashes 18-year-old rising star Chevy Stewart for his NRL debut this weekend.

“It’s probably easy to come in and be daunted trying to tell Paps and Taps and Elliott and all these guys that have played for their country what to do,” Jamal Fogarty said. “This season he’s obviously gone up in that area and he’s only going to get better for it. Just for all of our fans and everyone, just be patient with him, he will get there in the end so just let him find his feet.”

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/raiders-ur ... y-stewart/

'We've got speed out wide': Do the Raiders have the fastest back three in the NRL?

Speed kills. And the Canberra Raiders now boast one of the fastest, but also most inexperienced, back three in the NRL.

"The brilliant thing we do have this year ... we've got speed out wide," Jamal Fogarty said. "It's not just speed, it's probably power as well. We've definitely got speed and strength on our edges, but I think we had that right balance of when to shift and when to play through the middle."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Patient……. Not a chance! 3 tries or we load the cannon. These 18 year olds need to step up quicker :roflmao
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Looking to see a team come though as the young generation, with our senior players for the raiders providing guidance, Rapana for guts and dedication is a perfect role model.
Papalii for new forwards like Trey Mooney and Simi Sasagi, Peta Hola the game again to witness history in the making.
Seen a few young raiders cast-offs making their debut and doing well likes of Brad Schneider for the panthers replacing cleary while out injured, and Harley smith-shields who might playing up aganist our Timoko, good mate you will need it.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: April 10, 2024, 1:06 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote:
zim wrote: April 9, 2024, 5:25 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: April 9, 2024, 5:00 pm We all know Hoppa will come right back in no matter how we play on sunday
One of the most exciting teams we've had in a while and you still find something to cry about.
Im very excited about this team. I am looking forward to the game on sunday

But past Ricky shows that his favourites will always get called straight back in
well if Schiller let's in as many as he scores he'll be back in reggies

You can improve defence by large margins.

You can't improve pace beyond fiddling at the edges- which by the time you are already a professional athlete, is negligible.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

mikeraider wrote: April 10, 2024, 6:32 pm Looking to see a team come though as the young generation, with our senior players for the raiders providing guidance, Rapana for guts and dedication is a perfect role model.
Papalii for new forwards like Trey Mooney and Simi Sasagi, Peta Hola the game again to witness history in the making.
Seen a few young raiders cast-offs making their debut and doing well likes of Brad Schneider for the panthers replacing cleary while out injured, and Harley smith-shields who might playing up aganist our Timoko, good mate you will need it.
Well said.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Rickmando wrote: April 10, 2024, 10:55 am Whilst it would be disappointing, I couldn’t care less about this week’s result.

I don’t think I’ve had this much anticipation to watch a Raiders game in a long time. Great to see some new names coming through and joining some other exciting youngsters.

Full credit to Rick for not taking the safe, low-ceiling veteran option. He’s had his hand forced somewhat, but I applaud his willingness to roll on with the development of these young players we have signed (even if it potentially makes him uncomfortable personally or deviates from the original plans he may have had). Genuine tip of the cap.

Sunday can’t come soon enough
we here to win bro! Warriors loss we took on the chin, Sharks hurt, this will Kill, we are Faiders if we lose this
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Savage has been good with yardage carries, but it’s absolutely crucial Seb Kris and Timoko help Schiller and Stewart as much as possible with getting out of our end. I have been a little disappointed with Kris’ involvement, at Fullback he was very involved with yardage, and should be aiming to do similar from Centre, particularly with the named back 3. With no Rapana it’s really important.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

TongueFTW wrote: April 10, 2024, 9:07 pm Savage has been good with yardage carries, but it’s absolutely crucial Seb Kris and Timoko help Schiller and Stewart as much as possible with getting out of our end. I have been a little disappointed with Kris’ involvement, at Fullback he was very involved with yardage, and should be aiming to do similar from Centre, particularly with the named back 3. With no Rapana it’s really important.
Agree and I think Sticky would have identified and will expect the senior guys to step up in rapanas absence….
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 6 v Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: April 8, 2024, 1:33 pm Starling's best recent performance was when levi broke his jaw and Tommy played 70mins, this whole "bring the chaos" doesn't work but any more than 50mins Levi starts struggling worse.

DL leading the way in missed tackles for the Raiders with 19 over the first 5 games. Only Reed Mahoney (24) of the Bulldogs has a worse defensive record as a hooker at this point of the season. An area for DL to work on.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... sedTackles
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

RedRaider wrote: April 11, 2024, 9:32 am
bonehead wrote: April 8, 2024, 1:33 pm Starling's best recent performance was when levi broke his jaw and Tommy played 70mins, this whole "bring the chaos" doesn't work but any more than 50mins Levi starts struggling worse.

DL leading the way in missed tackles for the Raiders with 19 over the first 5 games. Only Reed Mahoney (24) of the Bulldogs has a worse defensive record as a hooker at this point of the season. An area for DL to work on.

And Strange has 17 - don’t you dare talk ill of our top try scorer. Blasphemy.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:28 pm
Bennyboy2283 wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:10 pm Damien cook anyone for a season or 2
That'll do me :lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It will be interesting to see how the team handles the assignment on Sunday night. Historically this is a game where we go in with the wrong mindset and don't play with the discipline or intensity required to win a game in the NRL. This is what happened against the Sharks so it is definitely still there for this team.

I would hope that having a few new faces brings some enthusiasm and it is hard to not be excited after the attacking football we played last weekend but I get the feeling that this season is going to be an absolute rollercoaster with some amazing highs and shattering lows.

We have a young team at the moment and this bodes very well for the future but inconsistency will come with that lack of experience.

One of the most pleasing things about this season has been the performance in effort areas such as working out of marker, support running and kick chase. I feel like we need to improve the consistency in our line speed. It has been good at times but the best teams are up quickly for the whole game and attack with their defence.

If we want to be a genuine contender it starts with winning the games you should and so far we are 0/1 this season. Hopefully we can make that 1/1 on Sunday night.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 11, 2024, 10:05 am

Strange has 13 and is playing the full 80 minutes on the left edge. DL is playing about 60 minutes per match. It is an area for DL to work on because opposition coaches will look for opportunity.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

RedRaider wrote: April 11, 2024, 10:38 am
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 11, 2024, 10:05 am

Strange has 13 and is playing the full 80 minutes on the left edge. DL is playing about 60 minutes per match. It is an area for DL to work on because opposition coaches will look for opportunity.
Nah I 100% agree mate, you prefer your hooker making his tackles - I’m actually more concerned with Strange’s second row partner, Hudson. I think he is listed at 15 missed tackles and having a young half next to him, hope he improves on that.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It would be interesting to know the scenario for these missed tackles as I can’t remember any clear try causes.

There’s probably some defensive areas he can improve on, but I’ve noticed he likes to get himself to marker on the fifth tackle and run hard towards the opposition kicker and he then gets stepped once or twice a game before the kick is made, I presume this counts as a missed tackle? But maybe not.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I’m also mindful of when Strange gets bumped off in first contact he gets up and makes the tackle on a second effort.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:I’m also mindful of when Strange gets bumped off in first contact he gets up and makes the tackle on a second effort.
Yeah, he's outstanding in this area. Very rarely beaten straight up and usually makes enough contact for cover to arrive, if he doesn't get there himself.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: April 11, 2024, 10:17 am
Billy Walker wrote: April 10, 2024, 4:28 pm
That'll do me :lol:
I’m here all week, try the buffet :roflmao