The Soccer/Football Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Speaking of Spurs, they have finished the final game of this round with a 3-1 victory over Nottingham Forest. A surprise result for me was the 2 all draw between Manchester United and Liverpool with a late penalty allowing Liverpool to draw the match earlier today. The current Premier League table is affected by deferred matches due to FA Cup and Euro matches. The table is:

1. Arsenal - 71 on goal difference
2. Liverpool - 71
3. Manchester City - 70
4. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 on goal difference
5. Aston Villa - 60
6. Manchester United - 49
7. West Ham - 48
8. Newcastle - 47
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Liverpool had around 14 attempts on goal to 0 in the first half. Game should have been over in that first 45.
Real poor finishing coupled with bad decision making.
Thomas Roy
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Roy »

RedRaider wrote: April 8, 2024, 5:08 am
Thomas Roy wrote: April 6, 2024, 8:51 pm Any Toon supporters here?
I like Newcastle's attacking style but I'm not a supporter. I tend to follow where the Aussies are. For years we had Aussies play for Liverpool in the likes of Craig Johnston and Harry Kewell so I followed them. I grew up in Milperra not far from Liverpool in Sydney so I showed some interest in Liverpool as being a name I recognised and played soccer for 6 years as a young bloke before Rugby League. Aussie Ange Postecoglou being the first ever Aussie Manager in Premier League has me following Spurs. Speaking of Newcastle, they play Spurs this coming Saturday.
[/quote
Thanks Red I've always followed Newcastle since I was a boy,no idea why? Maybe I was like you and recognised the name. I never played the game,I was always a league player myself,but being a sport lover I always watched the English soccer highlights on the ABC back in the day
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matilda's have beaten Mexico 2-0 in a friendly played at San Antonio, Texas. Goals to Hayley Raso and Caitlin Foord. High quality match shown live on free to air this morning.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Manchester City and Real Madrid have played a 3 all draw in the first leg of their EUFA Champions League. Some wonderful goals. The final 3 of the match absolute crackers and once again Foden gets one of them.

Thomas Roy
Sam Backo

Post by Thomas Roy »

Great start Newcastle, 2 nil after 32 minutes, against Spurs
Thomas Roy
Sam Backo

Post by Thomas Roy »

Half time,Newcastle 2,Spurs 0
Thomas Roy
Sam Backo

Post by Thomas Roy »

Goal to Isak for Newcastle, now 3 nil over Spurs
Thomas Roy
Sam Backo

Post by Thomas Roy »

Full time,Newcastle 4,Spurs 0
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thomas Roy wrote: April 13, 2024, 11:27 pm Full time,Newcastle 4,Spurs 0
Yes, full marks to Newcastle on thrashing Spurs. Spurs very poor all over the park. They don’t play next week due to Man City being involved in a Champions League match. The following week is Arsenal.
Thomas Roy
Sam Backo

Post by Thomas Roy »

Sorry Red,best they've played all season
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thomas Roy wrote: April 14, 2024, 3:08 pm Sorry Red,best they've played all season
No need to be sorry TR, Newcastle thoroughly deserved their win, Very well played. I think Newcastle have had to overcome a worse injury hit season than any other club too.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

RedRaider wrote:
Thomas Roy wrote: April 14, 2024, 3:08 pm Sorry Red,best they've played all season
No need to be sorry TR, Newcastle thoroughly deserved their win, Very well played. I think Newcastle have had to overcome a worse injury hit season than any other club too.
There is only one TR

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Liverpool were embarrassing against Palace. What a way to throw your season away.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Some surprise results this week with Crystal Palace over Liverpool and Aston Villa over Arsenal. The table:

1. Manchester City - 73
2. Arsenal - 71
3. Liverpool - 71
4. Aston Villa - 63
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60
6. Newcastle - 50
7. Manchester United - 50
8. West Ham - 48
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

6-0 Chelsea over Everton. That'll do me. Predicting another relegation fight and likely relegation for Everton this time. Last time Everton were relegated was in 1950-51. Whole place needs a clean-out-start-again approach, and until that happens I can't watch a single game of them.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

T_R wrote: April 15, 2024, 9:19 am
RedRaider wrote:
There is only one TR

True. I underscore that T_R
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

RedRaider wrote: April 17, 2024, 11:34 am
T_R wrote: April 15, 2024, 9:19 am
RedRaider wrote:
There is only one TR

True. I underscore that T_R
:D

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Man City have defeated Chelsea 1-0 to go through to the final on May 25.

This will be some consolation after both Man City and Arsenal were knocked out of the UEFA Champions League during the week.
Man City knocked out in a penalty shoot out losing 4-3 to Real Madrid after both Haarling and de Bruyne asked to be taken off in extra time.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Manchester United have beaten Coventry in the FA Cup semi final to set up a Final match with Manchester City. In a strange game, Man United went out to a 3 nil lead before Coventry put 3 on Man U to have it 3 all at full time. Man U then won the penalty shoot out 4-2.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australia's Olyroos have failed to Qualify for the Paris Olympics. They simply could not find a way to score goals. In coming years it will be telling if the issue has been the players or the coaching. Olympics are largely for U/23 players with only 3 over 23 players allowed in the squad. Australia's Olyroos did not score a goal against Jordan, Indonesia or Qatar. In fairness they only conceded one goal and that was against Indonesia. A good summary set out in the story below.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/oly ... 5flj0.html
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

who?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Arsenal have thrashed Chelsea 5-0 this morning to go to the top of the Premier league ladder. This was one of the round 29 catch up matches which affected 12 Premier League teams. The balance of the round 29 matches will be completed by Friday. Arsenal have played more matches than most with a lot of the top sides yet to play catch up for deferred matches. Many of the deferred matches will not happen until May which is tight given the competition ends on May 20. Each team must play 38 matches in Premier League. The current ladder with the number of matches played:

1. Arsenal - 77 after 34 matches played
2. Liverpool - 74 after 33 matches
3. Manchester City - 73 after 32 matches
4. Aston Villa - 66 after 34 matches
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 after 32 matches
6. Newcastle - 50 after 32 matches
7. Manchester United - 50 after 32 matches
8. West Ham - 48 after 34 matches
9. Chelsea - 47 after 32 matches
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote: April 24, 2024, 7:27 am who?

Male Matilda's wannabees boney.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: April 24, 2024, 7:34 am
bonehead wrote: April 24, 2024, 7:27 am who?

Male Matilda's wannabees boney.
Quite competitive that male football aye
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon International football is competitive regardless of gender, but the exceptional teams have four or five players who are among the very best in their positions and in peak form. Coaching and the choices they make has a role to play too. I still find it incredible that Warren Ryan took Blocker Roach and Paul Sironen off in 1989 Grand Final knowing he was unable to bring them back on. The current Olyroos coach is Tony Vidmar, a very good player particularly with Rangers in Scotland. He was a fine defender and the side defended well. But they could not get the ball into the back of the net. The balance did not seem to be there. He could do worse than having his brother Aurelio (Current coach of Melbourne City) assist him with the attacking side of the game. Even though Melbourne City are running 6th they have scored 49 goals the most of any A League Club.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

I think my boys saved every bit of juice so far this season just so they could win a derby before going down. Either that or they binged Tim Cahill and Arteta highlights reels the night before and started to bleed blue. 2-0 Everton over Liverpool at Goodison.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In a surprise result in Premier League Everton have defeated Liverpool 2-0. The Goal Keeping of Pickford for Everton was of the highest quality. In another surprise Crystal Palace have beaten Newcastle 2-0. Manchester City play Brighton tomorrow to complete the deferred round 29 matches.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Man City is giving Brighton a lesson. In the first half goals to De Bruyne and two to Foden set up a 3 nil lead. De Bruyne and Foden subbed off at the 72 minute mark. Now another goal to Alvarez giving City a 4-0 lead. I don't see Brighton coming back from there. So the final match of the deferred Round 29 matches is done imo. The ladder which still has deferred game affected teams is:

1. Arsenal - 77 after 34 matches
2. Manchester City - 76 after 33 matches
3. Liverpool - 74 after 34
4. Aston Villa - 66 after 34
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 after 32
6. Manchester United - 53 after 33
7. Newcastle - 50 after 33
8. West Ham - 48 after 34
9. Chelsea - 47 after 32

Round 35 of 38 begins tomorrow with West Ham V Liverpool. Spurs play Arsenal on Sunday night.
Last edited by RedRaider on April 26, 2024, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2024, 7:43 am I reckon International football is competitive regardless of gender, but the exceptional teams have four or five players who are among the very best in their positions and in peak form. Coaching and the choices they make has a role to play too. I still find it incredible that Warren Ryan took Blocker Roach and Paul Sironen off in 1989 Grand Final knowing he was unable to bring them back on. The current Olyroos coach is Tony Vidmar, a very good player particularly with Rangers in Scotland. He was a fine defender and the side defended well. But they could not get the ball into the back of the net. The balance did not seem to be there. He could do worse than having his brother Aurelio (Current coach of Melbourne City) assist him with the attacking side of the game. Even though Melbourne City are running 6th they have scored 49 goals the most of any A League Club.
the performance levels are different for obvious reasons. There are things youd rarely see in mens football that would happen regularly and on the biggest stage in womens. Just calling it as it is. But football cultre and heritage also has to be taken into account. Aussies building up well in the last 20 years but youre competing against century old traditions. Already at a respectable level though.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2024, 8:21 am In a surprise result in Premier League Everton have defeated Liverpool 2-0. The Goal Keeping of Pickford for Everton was of the highest quality. In another surprise Crystal Palace have beaten Newcastle 2-0. Manchester City play Brighton tomorrow to complete the deferred round 29 matches.
Dreadful. Told u they werent clear. Conceding bonehead goals and nowhere near clinical. The last month was like watching the raiders redzone attack🙈
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PNGRaider37 wrote: April 26, 2024, 6:54 am
RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2024, 7:43 am I reckon International football is competitive regardless of gender, but the exceptional teams have four or five players who are among the very best in their positions and in peak form. Coaching and the choices they make has a role to play too. I still find it incredible that Warren Ryan took Blocker Roach and Paul Sironen off in 1989 Grand Final knowing he was unable to bring them back on. The current Olyroos coach is Tony Vidmar, a very good player particularly with Rangers in Scotland. He was a fine defender and the side defended well. But they could not get the ball into the back of the net. The balance did not seem to be there. He could do worse than having his brother Aurelio (Current coach of Melbourne City) assist him with the attacking side of the game. Even though Melbourne City are running 6th they have scored 49 goals the most of any A League Club.
the performance levels are different for obvious reasons. There are things youd rarely see in mens football that would happen regularly and on the biggest stage in womens. Just calling it as it is. But football cultre and heritage also has to be taken into account. Aussies building up well in the last 20 years but youre competing against century old traditions. Already at a respectable level though.
Men's soccer in Australia has been hampered by the fact that it is not the No.1 footy code as it is in much of Europe, South America, Africa etc. Both NRL and AFL take the cream of the athletes and nouse players. I reckon someone like Darren Lockyer would have made a great mid fielder in football. His pace, ball kicking skills and vision would have transferred well imo. Should the Nathan Cleary and Mary Fowler relationship develop to the point where they can have children then there are some remarkably good blood lines there, as the farmers call it.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: April 26, 2024, 7:40 am
Men's soccer in Australia has been hampered by the fact that it is not the No.1 footy code as it is in much of Europe, South America, Africa etc. Both NRL and AFL take the cream of the athletes and nouse players. I reckon someone like Darren Lockyer would have made a great mid fielder in football. His pace, ball kicking skills and vision would have transferred well imo. Should the Nathan Cleary and Mary Fowler relationship develop to the point where they can have children then there are some remarkably good blood lines there, as the farmers call it.
Mate a Mary Fowler Nathan Cleary combo could be anything. Might even win the melbourne cup! 🙃
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

RedRaider wrote: April 26, 2024, 7:40 am
Darren Lockyer gliding down the wing for soceroos. What a sight. It will take time to get to that elite level but is building well. Growth of the A League and juniors development (especially with all the football that gets shown on TV and youtube) from my observation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Round 35 of 38 has begun with Liverpool and West Ham playing a 2 all draw. Liverpool Coach Klopp and star striker Mo Salah had a heated exchange on the sideline with other players moving Salah away.