All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Bluesbrother »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:01 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:55 pm The Schuster signing should be something we're seriously considering. The news of Hosking out is concerning. We've got nothing to lose on a guy like Schuster and everything to gain. Get on the phone Don.
The ramp is out for David.

He’s yet to decide on his future.
Whoops. How could I forget. Apologies.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:02 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:55 pm The Schuster signing should be something we're seriously considering. The news of Hosking out is concerning. We've got nothing to lose on a guy like Schuster and everything to gain. Get on the phone Don.

No need to apologise, we can’t afford 2 lazy overpriced numpties is all.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

happymum wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:59 am I don't know how Trevilyan found himself on the bench in reserve grade but after Sunday we now know he can kick and has pace and I haven't seen a leap like that one to take a short kick off for a long time. He's played some AFL by the look of it. He's certainly not kicking stones. He's been hiding some good skills, or been told not to use them. His work in traffic is good too. But the most noticeable thing is he seems to be in the right place at the right time every time.
Agree with your Trevilyan assessment. He packed a lot into his time on the weekend, including pretty much every big play we had during the otherwise fairly meek attempt to make a comeback.

He needs to stay fit and then have his minutes increased. The problem is he's competing with the other hooker who also needs big minutes. Levi has greatly exceeded my expectations this season but I still think the list in terms of talent/ceiling is Trevilyan > Woolford > Levi = Starling. I could accept a debate about which order the last two should be in.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:14 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 4:02 pm

No need to apologise, we can’t afford 2 lazy overpriced numpties is all.
To be fair, the Schuster ramp would only be equivalent to a backyard job. Fifita's ramp, as you point out, has got to the point where it needs to be factored into the new stadium design.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:41 pm Do we have room in the cap to sign an edge forward for this season ?

What's Schuster doing ? Manly should have paid the bulk of his salary by now. Can someone find him from a Northern beaches McDonald's and get him to meet with Ricky?

Hosking > Young > Ata > Simi > Whitehead
Ricky doesn't seem to be interested in meeting with him. And it's a good call.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Pretty sure nickman would love for us to sign Schuster, he loves idiot and lazy players, similar to his obsession with Fatrell.

Huge no from me for the record
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote:Pretty sure nickman would love for us to sign Schuster, he loves idiot and lazy players, similar to his obsession with Fatrell.

Hey hey hey, I’m not the one who was advocating for signing Latrell and Wighton, NeeeeeeeeeeegZ
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2024, 6:28 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 16, 2024, 3:41 pm Do we have room in the cap to sign an edge forward for this season ?

What's Schuster doing ? Manly should have paid the bulk of his salary by now. Can someone find him from a Northern beaches McDonald's and get him to meet with Ricky?

I'd give him a chance. He's very young with lots of pressure and doesn't seem to be getting the right advice. He's also suffering mentally as his best mate died right in front of him and they had an inquest earlier this year. Remember Joey Leilua ? Criticised by Beau Scott for his training and professionalism, but Ricky turned that around in less than six months and he was one of our best in 2016. He is skillful and Ricky can teach him toughness in defence. We really need an edge for this year if Hosking is out for most of the season.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2024, 8:52 pm
Neeeegz wrote:Pretty sure nickman would love for us to sign Schuster, he loves idiot and lazy players, similar to his obsession with Fatrell.

Hey hey hey, I’m not the one who was advocating for signing Latrell and Wighton, NeeeeeeeeeeegZ
Neeegz wanted us to sign Latrell Mitchell? Holy smokes.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:

Lol.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2024, 6:28 pm

I'd give him a chance. He's very young with lots of pressure and doesn't seem to be getting the right advice. He's also suffering mentally as his best mate died right in front of him and they had an inquest earlier this year. Remember Joey Leilua ? Criticised by Beau Scott for his training and professionalism, but Ricky turned that around in less than six months and he was one of our best in 2016. He is skillful and Ricky can teach him toughness in defence. We really need an edge for this year if Hosking is out for most of the season.
I'm not seeing any parallels with BJ. Haven't seen Schuster offer much other than the highlight reel no-look passes. No running game to speak of. Rarely takes on the line and doesn't break tackles. Defense is appalling at times.

BJ had all the attributes needed to succeed and it was only his attitude that held him back early on. Schuster has a narrow skill set coupled with his unprofessionalism.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I agree. I don’t rate Schuster. Has the occasional good pass or ballsy chip and chase which comes off, but 99% of his game is trash. Fat, lazy, injury prone.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: April 17, 2024, 8:59 am I agree. I don’t rate Schuster. Has the occasional good pass or ballsy chip and chase which comes off, but 99% of his game is trash. Fat, lazy, injury prone.
Like Latrell Mitchell. Talented but not very disciplined.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:27 pm Remember Joey Leilua ? Criticised by Beau Scott for his training and professionalism, but Ricky turned that around in less than six months and he was one of our best in 2016.
The timeline on this whole statement makes zero sense to me, but I suspect it's just the way it's worded.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Schuster could be a gun. But is probably in the same basket as Latrell. If they had their head on right, quality players. We’ve seen obviously with Latrell. Schuster could be a great player.

It’s worth a chat especially that Manly could be forking most of his salary. Stupid not too. Imagine picking him up for $300K or thereabouts. We’ve spent on worse.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regs Revolution wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:38 pm Schuster could be a gun. But is probably in the same basket as Latrell. If they had their head on right, quality players. We’ve seen obviously with Latrell. Schuster could be a great player.

It’s worth a chat especially that Manly could be forking most of his salary. Stupid not too. Imagine picking him up for $300K or thereabouts. We’ve spent on worse.
100% - the kid is 22. If he gets it right, he plays origin. We've got the right culture to get him right.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Regs Revolution wrote:Schuster could be a gun. But is probably in the same basket as Latrell. If they had their head on right, quality players. We’ve seen obviously with Latrell. Schuster could be a great player.

That’s the thing though. It looks like he has not met his obligations therefore Manly will be paying zip and releasing him.

Where he ends up will say a lot about him. If he chases the coin I am confident he will not reach his potential.

If he comes to a club willing to earn a contract then he may go alright injuries permitting.

Last preseason he was looking very fit and ready to go so he can get there if the motivation is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

He would be a good pick up for souths, culture wise I mesn
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bluesbrother wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:38 pm Schuster could be a gun. But is probably in the same basket as Latrell. If they had their head on right, quality players. We’ve seen obviously with Latrell. Schuster could be a great player.

100% - the kid is 22. If he gets it right, he plays origin. We've got the right culture to get him right.
Ricky seems pretty careful with the different personalities he brings into the squad (probably after the Curtis debacle) and I'm not sure Schuster fits. I'm not suggesting that Schuster is anything like Curtis, but still not a good fit in other ways.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Schuster is too lazy to get in a fight with a random member of the public. So he’s nothing like Curtis Scott.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Anyone else worried that now Fisher-Harris has signed with the Wahs, Mooney will go to the Riff???
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No. Penrith have the "upcoming youth prop" line covered in their squad. They'll be looking for someone with a bit more experience.
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by BJ »

SeeBee101 wrote:Anyone else worried that now Fisher-Harris has signed with the Wahs, Mooney will go to the Riff???
Only if he’s willing to accept a minimum NRL wage to play there and willing to compete with other emerging players from the Panthers system.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Who are the emerging Penrith players though? Thier bench middles aren't too impressive now Leniu has departed.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Henry is signed long term and was very highly rated and very good coming through. He has only played a handful of games so will improve. I would think there is room for a Mooney or similar though.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Liam Henry, Lindsay Smith, Riley Price, Luron Patea. Liam Henry in particular is going to be a mainstay for quite a while. With JFH departing they lack leadership at prop. I don't see Leota filling that void.
MJY
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by MJY »

I agree.. I think the roosters and Penrith have already got what they want.
Roosters also just re signed may and Collins with leniu and Whyte.. A lot of money tied up in in FRF already
Penrith will want an experienced prop for a win now. Not another development prop. They have 10 of them.
Tigers and Bulldogs are the concern for Mooney.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Roosters wouldn't buy him because he isn't a massive upgrade, but I will be shocked if they don't buy over the top of those guys. If they are true to form they will sign three or four of the best players in the comp over the next couple of years.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: April 18, 2024, 1:27 pm Roosters wouldn't buy him because he isn't a massive upgrade, but I will be shocked if they don't buy over the top of those guys. If they are true to form they will sign three or four of the best players in the comp over the next couple of years.
Absolutely. They don't sit on their hands. They are a dangerous player in the game. Not just for Mooney but every player on our roster.

My thoughts around the Roosters are that they aren't what they once were though. Trent Robinson isn't as good as many suggest and isn't as ruthless as what he could be. Sam Walker and Luke Keary aren't a premiership winning halves pairing. Teddy is on the way out and now they are letting their best player, Manu, walk out the door.

If you look at their forwards, what they have coming through will cover thier losses. It's the backs I'd be worried about.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We’d better hope it’s a club like the dogs or tigers
Because if mooney lands with the panthers or roosters he’ll almost certainly make us look like fools for letting him go
I wouldn’t rule those clubs out either, they’ll look for talent to improve their team in any form it comes

Fwiw I don’t think the panthers have a ready made replacement for JFH. Their best guys in middle forward are probably 12-18 months away
It’ll be Liam Henry but i think they’ll sniff around the market to buy an experienced bridge front rower

The roosters seem to have a good situation with May and Whyte though as JWH replacements but it won’t shock me if they look to a mooney level player to step into the bench
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Really hope we're on the look out for a young, talented outside back.

By 2025 we'll have lost Schiller, HSS, Morkos, Valemei and likely Cotric and Rapana. That's a huge hit to our stocks and not only that but talent too with Rapa and Schiller in particular.

Need at least two outside backs in my opinion.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bot. If Jarrod Croker went to the Panthers we’d look like fools for not extending him for another year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: April 18, 2024, 3:31 pm Bot. If Jarrod Croker went to the Panthers we’d look like fools for not extending him for another year. Image
You might have pressed the analogy past the breaking point there but fair otherwise :roflmao

The worst case scenario is he lands with a club like that where you know his considerable talent with be untapped
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Vossy on SEN this morning musing Panthers will buy a low dollar prop or fill within and chuck their cap space at Galvin

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’d bet that’s 2+2=5 stuff

The panthers showed their hand with Laui. They’re not going to drop significant money into cleary’s partner and Galvin won’t be signing anything that isn’t significant money