Hooker for 2025 and future years

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Hooker for 2025 and future years

Post by bayraider »

Looks like Toby Thornburn has been released to the Black hawks.
Moving forward I think the club is going all out with Owen Pattie and Xavier Cacciotti, who is still a little young and needsmoretimeto develop.
Can they fast track Owen Pattie?
I don't think Woodford will be any longer with us by June 30
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Hooker for 2025 and future years

Post by Finchy »

needsmoretimeto? Is this like NEEDMEMBERSCODE?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's a shame about Toby Thorburn. Seems to have been in Townsville for a couple of weeks.

But there are too many hookers and he seemed to fall down the pecking order a bit towards the end of last season.

The other hooker coming through is Mitch Brophy, who is possibly the best prospect of them all. Ethan Alaia can player hooker too, though they've been running him in the halves. Shaun Packer in the ranks too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Is this needsmoretimeto related to matthewtimoko by any chance?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

It'll be Levi
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Yeah, I suspect for 2025 it will be Levi and Starling again. I think the others are a few years off given none of them are playing cup yet and the two highest rated aren't playing up in Flegg. Hooker is also a slow position to mature and the form line from juniors hasn't been great for the Raiders in the past. I guess Trev could be an outside chance if Woolford moves on but he isn't really getting much of an opportunity in NSW cup otherwise.

With the market non-existent in Australia I think they should go back to the UK and find a better option for the next couple of years.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Wouldn't it be good if we even had a middling hooker like Jeremy Marshall-King who can engage the marker defence and make breaks from dummy half to capitalise on the good work of our forwards. And I don't even regard him as elite.

Levi did himself no favours when he was the most senior of our spine members in the second half v Broncos but had an error ridden game. He doesn't offer much running game or deception in the 20, while his defence is questionable at best.

We really need an upgrade on this position, perhaps from the U.K., even if that means letting Woolford go off contract or moving Starling on. But I'm not sure there will be takers.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Our hooker stocks are dire and they make me sad.

Number one action item should be the banish Starling to cup. He offers nothing and our attack becomes even more cluttered and disorganised when he comes on.

Number two action item is to get Woolford in there. He is no world beater but he is the best of a very bad bunch. In terms of relative strengths his is his service and with our strong forward pack this probably suits our team the most.

Number 3 action item is to see if Trev has anything to offer. Give this year is almost certainly a transition/development year now, I think we have very little to lose by at least giving him Starlings minutes.

Number 4 action item is to hint around for external options. If we have to do the Strange/Stewart/Sanders thing and pluck the most promising 16 year old hooker in the country for overs, so be it.

Number 5 action item is to sell your stock on Levi island, whether or not you bought the stock ironically or not.
He was always going to regress to the mean and a couple of nice barge over tries was never going to change who he is, which is a 100-something game journeyman who has never found a long term home.

Look I will be happy if Levi to can continue to overperform his admittedly low expectations, but we are nuts if we aren’t continuing to try and find solutions, as per the above action items.
Up The Milk
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Kruise Leeming?

*expecting to get laughed at here lol (last time I mentioned a player from SL (Bevan French) I got steamrolled)

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:24 am Our hooker stocks are dire and they make me sad.

Number one action item should be the banish Starling to cup. He offers nothing and our attack becomes even more cluttered and disorganised when he comes on.

Number two action item is to get Woolford in there. He is no world beater but he is the best of a very bad bunch. In terms of relative strengths his is his service and with our strong forward pack this probably suits our team the most.

Number 3 action item is to see if Trev has anything to offer. Give this year is almost certainly a transition/development year now, I think we have very little to lose by at least giving him Starlings minutes.

Number 4 action item is to hint around for external options. If we have to do the Strange/Stewart/Sanders thing and pluck the most promising 16 year old hooker in the country for overs, so be it.

Number 5 action item is to sell your stock on Levi island, whether or not you bought the stock ironically or not.
He was always going to regress to the mean and a couple of nice barge over tries was never going to change who he is, which is a 100-something game journeyman who has never found a long term home.

Look I will be happy if Levi to can continue to overperform his admittedly low expectations, but we are nuts if we aren’t continuing to try and find solutions, as per the above action items.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say here and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Starling has more versatility to his game than Woolford.

At least the coaches appear to think that way.

Starling can fill in at middle, can sub in the halves in a pinch, and is quick from dummy half.

Shame is, he's not particularly good at any of them.

I think this role should go to Puru.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by RaiderSpark »

Soni Luke?
Gordon Chan Kum Tong?
Tyson Smoothy?
Sam Verills?

No idea if these dudes are off contract though

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:24 am
I think with our young spine we should be looking to prioritise bringing in a bloke with experience at hooker over emerging talent.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’ve got the most promising junior hooker in the country on contract.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RaiderSpark wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:33 am Soni Luke?
Gordon Chan Kum Tong?
Tyson Smoothy?
Sam Verills?

No idea if these dudes are off contract though

I think Chan Kum Tong only has this year left on his contract so he's currently able to negotiate. Luke and Smoothy have 2025 left (free to negotiate in November). Same with Marshall-King mentioned earlier in the thread.

If we could get Marshall-King here a year early then he's the pick of the bunch imo.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Tom Starling for sure.

And when he signs his next contract extension this place will explode in 10,9,8,7….
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:11 pm Tom Starling for sure.

And when he signs his next contract extension this place will explode in 10,9,8,7….
Here comes 6!
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by RaiderSpark »

Got the perfect number 9 right here lolImage

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Doesn't look weak gutted so Ricky will be a fan.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:46 am We’ve got the most promising junior hooker in the country on contract.
Levi?
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:24 am Our hooker stocks are dire and they make me sad.

He's right you know.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:46 am We’ve got the most promising junior hooker in the country on contract.
Who's that?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:30 pm

He's right you know.
About the hooker stocks?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Woolford sucks. So did his father - I can't believe he ever captained the club. Says a lot about how poor the club was being run through those dark days.

Honestly can't believe he is being thrown up as a suggestion to come in. Levi has been going well. We definitely need an upgrade though, I wholeheartedly agree. Youth is the best and most likely route we should/could take to have success in this area.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:
Levi?
He's only 27, has another 300 games in him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:38 pm
Finchy wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:30 pm

He's right you know.
About the hooker stocks?
About everything, dammit!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:52 pm
Finchy wrote:
Levi?
He's only 27, has another 300 games in him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Fellas, Tom is only 25, has another 400 games in him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

dubby wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:30 am I think Starling has more versatility to his game than Woolford.

Starling can fill in at middle, can sub in the halves in a pinch, and is quick from dummy half.

Agree. Starling has mastered running around in a circle and then flinging the ball to nobody in particular.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 22, 2024, 2:08 pm
dubby wrote: April 22, 2024, 11:30 am I think Starling has more versatility to his game than Woolford.

Agree. Starling has mastered running around in a circle and then flinging the ball to nobody in particular.
He’s very very good.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2024, 2:17 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 22, 2024, 2:08 pm

He’s very very good.
Much like Levi, as Billy keeps telling us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 22, 2024, 1:35 pm
Who's that?
Xavier Cacciotti was the Australian Schoolboys hooker last year. And he’s not the only very good junior hooker on the books. I can’t remember a better crop of dummy halves coming through the club. If the Raiders cannot convert one of them into a top line line first grade hooker, it’d be disappointing.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I think while ever Ricky is coach they will have a bench hooker and if you look at the timelines the junior hookers won't be ready to be a starter for very likely another three years at least. So getting in a good senior one for two or three years would make sense and give time to get that transition right. Maybe if the 6,7 and 9 were established you could gamble a bit more.
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

What has happened with Trev? He's not even spoken about anymore as first grade potential.
From what I saw, he was very good!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Green Hornet wrote:What has happened with Trev? He's not even spoken about anymore as first grade potential.
From what I saw, he was very good!
barely playing 20mins a week in nsw cup, hardly getting a chance to earn a call up

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Which was one of my main concerns with signing 3 middle of the road hookers above Trev - a complete block on development. It will take injury or suspension for him to play decent minutes.