Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gerg »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-20/ ... /103685396

Not clear why they are going back?

I also saw a headline last week that the Queensland government was making changes to negative gearing but I haven't had a chance to look into it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

To bring rents down.

Yeah, right…
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I know a surefire way to bring rents down

It’s a bit of a radical one, but…

Build more houses
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:I know a surefire way to bring rents down

It’s a bit of a radical one, but…

Build more houses
Can't. The CFMEU ... sorry, Labor government....just took Construction off the immigration skills list.

There's no one to build them.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's a tasty little morsel. Removed construction workers from the immigration list in the midst of a housing crisis. What's their rationale?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Categories to be removed are Concreter, Bricklayer, Carpenter and Plasterer that I'm aware of.

General push to slap immigration down, but specifically in this case it would mean that the only option to bring foreign workers in would be under a different visa requiring a minimum salary of $130k, with a condition that you can't employ a visa holder without a 'no disadvantage' test.

SO, CFMEU are seeing it as a way of setting a base rate on building sites with that pay as the minimum. It'll happen, too.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:Categories to be removed are Concreter, Bricklayer, Carpenter and Plasterer that I'm aware of.

General push to slap immigration down, but specifically in this case it would mean that the only option to bring foreign workers in would be under a different visa requiring a minimum salary of $130k, with a condition that you can't employ a visa holder without a 'no disadvantage' test.

SO, CFMEU are seeing it as a way of setting a base rate on building sites with that pay as the minimum. It'll happen, too.

Ah well, I guess that means the only option left to address the critical shortage in houses is to fundamentally change the tax system to punish those who have investment properties then.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:
T_R wrote:Categories to be removed are Concreter, Bricklayer, Carpenter and Plasterer that I'm aware of.

Ah well, I guess that means the only option left to address the critical shortage in houses is to fundamentally change the tax system to punish those who have investment properties then.
Absolutely No better way of stimulating supply than to make investment n the asset class less attractive.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone else watching the scenes at UCLA right now? Some serious **** might be about to go down.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Anyone else watching the scenes at UCLA right now? Some serious **** might be about to go down.
What's happening? Palestine protests?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 2, 2024, 5:08 pm
The Nickman wrote:Anyone else watching the scenes at UCLA right now? Some serious **** might be about to go down.
Yeah, they've occupied campuses across the US. At UCLA there's a massive police presence surrounding the encampment, but thousands of unexpected people showed up today to surround the encampment so there's this really tense standoff.

The police are expected to go in at any moment, but they have been for hours.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Yeah, they've occupied campuses across the US. At UCLA there's a massive police presence surrounding the encampment, but thousands of unexpected people showed up today to surround the encampment so there's this really tense standoff.

Who are the unexpected group?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Just additional supporters have shown up today and surrounded the encampment.

It’s literally thousands of extra protestors the police hadn’t reckoned on, so they’re being extremely careful about moving in.

I suspect they’ll go in real late/early in the morning, like 2am when the protestors are all exhausted. There’s a **** of cops building up though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Just additional supporters have shown up today and surrounded the encampment.

It’s literally thousands of extra protestors the police hadn’t reckoned on, so they’re being extremely careful about moving in.

I suspect they’ll go in real late/early in the morning, like 2am when the protestors are all exhausted. There’s a **** of cops building up though.
Isn't this why water cannons were invented? But a little more seriously, that country is very quickly turning to custard.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seems like a whole lot of fuss for something that realistically isn't going to make a squat of difference to people living in Gaza.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 7:00 am Seems like a whole lot of fuss for something that realistically isn't going to make a squat of difference to people living in Gaza.
They're not just protesting the war itself, they're also protesting their own university's divestment of their tuition in companies that invest in weapons manufacturing for the Israeli military, and they want an increase in transparency about its assets, to sever ties with Israeli universities, as well as (obviously) calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I think they're well within their rights to protest their own money being used to fund the war. The whole "why even bother" argument doesn't hold up particularly well in the face of any protest throughout history.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 7:00 am Seems like a whole lot of fuss for something that realistically isn't going to make a squat of difference to people living in Gaza.
They're not just protesting the war itself, they're also protesting their own university's divestment of their tuition in companies that invest in weapons manufacturing for the Israeli military, and they want an increase in transparency about its assets, to sever ties with Israeli universities, as well as (obviously) calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

Personally, I think they're well within their rights to protest their own money being used to fund the war. The whole "why even bother" argument doesn't hold up particularly well in the face of any protest throughout history.
I don't entirely understand but wouldn't it be better for them to protest with their feet? As in finding a different university that doesn't channel money like they are claiming. If for example McDonald's was doing something you didn't like, you wouldn't go and buy their product and then protest in the carpark between mouthfuls of big mac.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:

I understand what they are protesting. It's not going to make a lick of difference.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I understand what they are protesting. It's not going to make a lick of difference.
It has you talking about the issue on the other side of the world.

This is a pretty **** attitude to protesting generally. You could make this argument against most protests.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: May 3, 2024, 10:03 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

It has you talking about the issue on the other side of the world.

This is a pretty **** attitude to protesting generally. You could make this argument against most protests.
I have no idea why people protested the Vietnam War. Not like it would've made any difference.

Apartheid in South Africa? Why even bother? Seems like a complete waste of time to me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gerg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I don't entirely understand but wouldn't it be better for them to protest with their feet? As in finding a different university that doesn't channel money like they are claiming. If for example McDonald's was doing something you didn't like, you wouldn't go and buy their product and then protest in the carpark between mouthfuls of big mac.

Sure because it’s real easy to transfer partially completed degrees and uproot your life.

Let’s be real. A conversation asking the university to divest is a far more reasonable first step.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gerg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Sure because it’s real easy to transfer partially completed degrees and uproot your life.

Let’s be real. A conversation asking the university to divest is a far more reasonable first step.
I don't know how easy it is to transfer but this isn't a new conflict. Unless the university has only recently started to financially support Israel?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

There's pretty clear and obvious differences between protesting for more work rights, better pay, or against the involvement of your country in the Vietnam War. Those protests may influence people in a position to alter the outcome. The only person that can alter this outcome is Netanyahu, and I doubt he cares. It's disruptive to the universities and other students who have absolutely nothing to do with it, and likely to piss them off rather than make them sympathetic to the cause.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 11:33 am There's pretty clear and obvious differences between protesting for more work rights, better pay, or against the involvement of your country in the Vietnam War. Those protests may influence people in a position to alter the outcome. The only person that can alter this outcome is Netanyahu, and I doubt he cares. It's disruptive to the universities and other students who have absolutely nothing to do with it, and likely to piss them off rather than make them sympathetic to the cause.
America heavily influences the actions Israel takes, both through financial and political support. If you don't think they can do anything to prevent Netanyahu's actions then you honestly don't understand the geopolitics of the US/Israel relationship.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 11:33 am There's pretty clear and obvious differences between protesting for more work rights, better pay, or against the involvement of your country in the Vietnam War. Those protests may influence people in a position to alter the outcome. The only person that can alter this outcome is Netanyahu, and I doubt he cares. It's disruptive to the universities and other students who have absolutely nothing to do with it, and likely to piss them off rather than make them sympathetic to the cause.
America heavily influences the actions Israel takes, both through financial and political support. If you don't think they can do anything to prevent Netanyahu's actions then you honestly don't understand the geopolitics of the US/Israel relationship.
I'm not an expert in international relations. Neither are you. You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that these protests will achieve nothing other than alienate people tagt may have otherwise been sympathetic to the cause.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think the more people that mobilize and speak out against atrocities such as Israel are committing and shine light on the bodies, organisations and countries that are funding their actions the better, personally.

I think it's amazing that students across the world are standing up and saying enough is enough.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well I guess when Netanyahu stands and announces that they are pulling out of Gaza, and it's all because of those pesky students, the non-protesting students and faculty will stand and applaud. Until that time they just have to continue feeling intimidated and unsafe.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 1:44 pm Well I guess when Netanyahu stands and announces that they are pulling out of Gaza, and it's all because of those pesky students, the non-protesting students and faculty will stand and applaud. Until that time they just have to continue feeling intimidated and unsafe.
Such a shallow, shallow view on the effectiveness of even the simplest of protests. In this kind of world view everybody would sit at home and do nothing and change would never have been affected.

I mean, why did Rosa Parks even bother refusing to give up her seat?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 3, 2024, 1:44 pm Well I guess when Netanyahu stands and announces that they are pulling out of Gaza, and it's all because of those pesky students, the non-protesting students and faculty will stand and applaud. Until that time they just have to continue feeling intimidated and unsafe.
Such a shallow, shallow view on the effectiveness of even the simplest of protests. In this kind of world view everybody would sit at home and do nothing and change would never have been affected.

I mean, why did Rosa Parks even bother refusing to give up her seat?
Oh please, don't compare this to Rosa Parks. You're embarrassing yourself.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wow.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Comparing a woman who inspired the civil rights movement by risking her freedom through peaceful protest, to a bunch of privileged students disrupting, intimidating, destroying property and spreading hate speech. Wow yourself.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Again, wow.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I love you mate, and always respect your opinion, but I disagree with you. I believe in their cause, but here the ends does not justify the means because the ends is the status quo.

Look I could be wrong and Netanyahu will stand and tell the world that these students have helped him see the errors of his way. Until, keep on wowing on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

You’re officially old Doc.

You’ve reached the point of jaded where you abandon hope of change because it might not work and it’s hard.

By all means switch goalposts and go for critiquing the way they’re protesting instead. But looking down on protests generally because it’s hard to see the direct impact? That’s when you’ve reached sad old boomer status.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:You’re officially old Doc.

You’ve reached the point of jaded where you abandon hope of change because it might not work and it’s hard.

By all means switch goalposts and go for critiquing the way they’re protesting instead. But looking down on protests generally because it’s hard to see the direct impact? That’s when you’ve reached sad old boomer status.
I've not switched the goal posts. Their protest is disruptive and intimating to people who have no role in the problem. It is spreading hate speech. I'd be all for the former if it was to achieve something but it won't, and I'll support peaceful protest but as I've consistently said, the ends in this case are doesn't justify the means.