Ethan Sanders signs three year deal with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders reportedly agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Brilliant.

Parra shouldn’t feel too bad - Moses and Brown are top shelf in this competition imo.

But my god, a spine of Chevy, Strange and Sanders is very exciting. Seems like they are all good mates too.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders reportedly agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

This also means we have:

Stewart signed until 2026
Sanders signed until 2027
Strange signed until 2028

I love that it’s staggered. The tigers made the mistake of signing all their youth (Woods, Teddy, Moses, Brooks) and until the same year and they ended up leaving at the same time.

Good roster management raiders.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:But it’s not Thursday??
Maybe it is?

Perhaps we can get confirmation from GE?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This is some all-time great recruitment by the club. Identifying the best young talent and signing them over a number of years. And all key position players. Quite incredible really.

It may not work out as we hope but the club has given itself the best chance of building a successful team.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote:This also means we have:

Stewart signed until 2026
Sanders signed until 2027
Strange signed until 2028

I love that it’s staggered. The tigers made the mistake of signing all their youth (Woods, Teddy, Moses, Brooks) and until the same year and they ended up leaving at the same time.

Good roster management raiders.
Stewart and the club have an option for 2027, not that I'd expect it to get to that point unless something goes horribly wrong

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Great news, who makes way this weekend, Weeks?

Shame to announce Weeks debut for the club today only to pull him from the game day lineup on Sunday for Sanders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You do understand Sanders rocks up in 25 right Rick ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Damn, Rick got excited and missed the title maybe.

Can't blame him though. The SSS Trinity is underway.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

-PJ- wrote:You do understand Sanders rocks up in 25 right Rick ?
Wearing the 25 this weekend?

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Rick wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:04 pm
Wearing the 25 this weekend?

Good recovery. 🤣
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You do understand that’s a huge dubby right Peej?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders make new offer to Eels half Ethan Sanders

Post by Azza »

IBG wrote: April 23, 2024, 5:16 pm I hope he kills it and gains valuable experience. Interesting conversation to have next year if he absolutely brains it the next few months with us still having Fog for the next 2 years.

I can see the Ricky hate next year when he leaves Sanders in NSW Cup for most of the year (although to be fair Fog has been one of our best players this year).
Simples. Fog to 7, Sanders to 6, Strange to prop.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:12 pm
You do understand that’s a huge dubby right Peej?
I’m tired.

Need rest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders make new offer to Eels half Ethan Sanders

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:38 pm
IBG wrote: April 23, 2024, 5:16 pm I hope he kills it and gains valuable experience. Interesting conversation to have next year if he absolutely brains it the next few months with us still having Fog for the next 2 years.

I can see the Ricky hate next year when he leaves Sanders in NSW Cup for most of the year (although to be fair Fog has been one of our best players this year).
And Papa to kick goals.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Very happy with this signing. As many have said, he may make it, he may not but absolutely the right play by the Raiders to take a punt on him.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

-PJ- wrote:
Azza wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:38 pm

And Papa to kick goals.
You do realise Papa is not the back up kicker right?

Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

We need to sign a hooker with the a last name starting with S
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Very exciting few years ahead
There will be no excuse for the club to underperform long term, the talent is unquestionably here, at all key positions in the spine, good young forwards and excellent young outside backs

Up to the club and coach to now provide an environment and structure to allow those players to live up to their talent.
If we get to 2026-27 and this team is not seriously contending for premierships it will be a significant failure
Rick
Steve Walters

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Rick »

Desperately need a decent hooker. I really hope this Trev gets more of a shot this year.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Azza »

Trev seems to have disappeared from the radar in mh 370 fashion
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Robert the Bruce wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:33 pm We need to sign a hooker with the a last name starting with S
Starling?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:33 pm We need to sign a hooker with the a last name starting with S
Starling?
Slevi?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sgrant.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Good signing and happy to see what this could bring.

Can anyone else see Fogarty being a solid number 9? I could see it happening. Could be a train wreck but I would tinker with the idea.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

A great signing for the future. Certainly buys another five years for the coach. And it shows in his laidback approach this year. The last two seasons he has looked like a coach under pressure. Particularly 2022 where he looked a dead man walking until Savage and Woolford came into the side and saved his backside. And we all saw it in some terrible behaviour in public, WGD.

I really hope this works otherwise its 15 years for Ricky at the club without anything to show for it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:41 pmSgrant.
Ulysses? Definite leadership material.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Simi Sasagi is a versatile player.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congrats to DFJ for getting the Sanders signature over the line. I hope he has a fine debut for Parramatta this weekend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: April 23, 2024, 11:47 pm Congrats to DFJ for getting the Sanders signature over the line. I hope he has a fine debut for Parramatta this weekend.
He’s not signed yet.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gerg wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:49 pm A great signing for the future. Certainly buys another five years for the coach. And it shows in his laidback approach this year. The last two seasons he has looked like a coach under pressure. Particularly 2022 where he looked a dead man walking until Savage and Woolford came into the side and saved his backside. And we all saw it in some terrible behaviour in public, WGD.

I really hope this works otherwise its 15 years for Ricky at the club without anything to show for it

I preface this by saying quite obviously I’m aware the job is his for however long he wants it’s regardless of results so there is barely a point in even saying this…

But I’ll say it anyways
5 years? 2029? Hard no on that for me.
By the end of 2026 and at the latest end of 2027 we should be on the cusp of contending or very clearly trending that direction

If we’re not, the coaching staff won’t have a lack of talent as an excuse to fall back on.

I’m more than happy to largely give Stuart a pass in 2024 and 2025, results matter to me very little in the next 2 years, it’s about establishing these young guys and developing them, as long as they’re progressing as FG footballers I’ll trust that wins will come in time
But if we’re not where we should be 2-3 years from now we owe it to ourselves and these young men, as a club to at least try to find a coaching staff who can get us there
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It would be a waste of their talent if we are not contending by 2026-27.

Also a waste for the likes of Joe Tapine, Savage, Timoko, Kris etc. Why should someone like Timoko and Tapine stay ? They could walk into a club like the Roosters and Melbourne as they are elite in their position. Roosters would love to recruit both for next year. They could get the same money.

Already players like Papa and Rapana may have lost the opportunity to win a premiership. It's sad that our golden generation of players like Croker, Wighton, Hodgson, Whitehead, Papa and Rapana never got to win one.

Ricky said give him 10 years and he would leave if he didn't win a premiership. it's now 11 years. Brad Arthur has had 11 w/o winning and the media have correctly stated that hardly any coach gets 11 years w/o winning.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:31 am Ricky said give him 10 years and he would leave if he didn't win a premiership. it's now 11 years. Brad Arthur has had 11 w/o winning and the media have correctly stated that hardly any coach gets 11 years w/o winning.
Hasler hasn’t won a premiership in the last 14 seasons, Bennett in the last 15.

Outside of Storm/Roosters/Panthers they’re very hard to win these days.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:51 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:31 am Ricky said give him 10 years and he would leave if he didn't win a premiership. it's now 11 years. Brad Arthur has had 11 w/o winning and the media have correctly stated that hardly any coach gets 11 years w/o winning.
Hasler hasn’t won a premiership in the last 14 seasons, Bennett in the last 15.

Outside of Storm/Roosters/Panthers they’re very hard to win these days.
They haven't spent that length of time at the same club though. You don't get 10-15 years at one club and not win a premiership.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: April 23, 2024, 11:58 pm
gerg wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:49 pm A great signing for the future. Certainly buys another five years for the coach. And it shows in his laidback approach this year. The last two seasons he has looked like a coach under pressure. Particularly 2022 where he looked a dead man walking until Savage and Woolford came into the side and saved his backside. And we all saw it in some terrible behaviour in public, WGD.

I preface this by saying quite obviously I’m aware the job is his for however long he wants it’s regardless of results so there is barely a point in even saying this…

But I’ll say it anyways
5 years? 2029? Hard no on that for me.
By the end of 2026 and at the latest end of 2027 we should be on the cusp of contending or very clearly trending that direction

If we’re not, the coaching staff won’t have a lack of talent as an excuse to fall back on.

I’m more than happy to largely give Stuart a pass in 2024 and 2025, results matter to me very little in the next 2 years, it’s about establishing these young guys and developing them, as long as they’re progressing as FG footballers I’ll trust that wins will come in time
But if we’re not where we should be 2-3 years from now we owe it to ourselves and these young men, as a club to at least try to find a coaching staff who can get us there
I know what you're saying but results still matter IMO. I can't think of any young spine combinations that have gone from whipping boys to Premiership winners. Penrith and the Storm were both always competitive and at least in the fringe of the 8 with their stars coming though. We're well placed to scrap for a top 8 spot next year with so much experience around those team members. This year is a bit more questionable with Fogarty down.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 24, 2024, 12:31 am It would be a waste of their talent if we are not contending by 2026-27.
This is silly imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.