A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by cat »

zim wrote: April 19, 2024, 2:53 pm Nothing as far as the stadium goes. This is about making use of the land either side of it:
https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/sha ... evelopment

"Woolooware Bay – Sharks Leagues Club development"
https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2024/04/ ... arch-2024/
So they have 16k members but can only hold 12k inside their venue ( 12k was a sell out at the raiders game and the hill couldn't hold any more)

That is not NRL standard
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

That ground is a joke.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have your say: Answer nine key questions in a survey on a new stadium in Canberra

The debate has raged in comment sections and on social media for years. Where should a new stadium be built in Canberra? How big should it be? How much are we willing to spend? Here's your chance to have a say about the political football that has been kicked around for the past 15 years. Complete the survey below to help shape the answers for Canberra's stadium debate and we'll publish the results in the coming weeks.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

So I have to subscribe to participate in the survey….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rick wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:02 pm So I have to subscribe to participate in the survey….

Pretty sure there are no consequences if you don’t.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Billy Walker wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:20 pm
Rick wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:02 pm So I have to subscribe to participate in the survey….

Or if you do.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Do we have a new stadium yet?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:Do we have a new stadium yet?
Thursday, apparently.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 2:19 pm
Thursday, apparently.
You're an idiot. I hope reptar helps.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Azza wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 2:19 pm
Thursday, apparently.
You're an idiot. I hope reptar helps.
I won’t. Nickman doesn’t need my help.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
Thursday, apparently.
Does it have blackjack? And lunar landers? And Levi?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coastalraider wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 23, 2024, 12:20 pm

Or if you do.
Precisely.

Let's ask the punters where they want a stadium and how much 'they' are willing to pay for it...and for good measure whether they think the Commonwealth should pay half. Image

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Taxpayers are actually the people who pay! So asking them how much they’d like to see spent on a stadium is pretty relevant. They’re Commonwealth and Territory voters and taxpayers as well. Recently we’ve helped pay for a stadium in Townsville and about to fork out for one in Hobart. Maybe this jurisdiction deserves similar Commonwealth funding.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:38 pm Taxpayers are actually the people who pay! So asking them how much they’d like to see spent on a stadium is pretty relevant. They’re Commonwealth and Territory voters and taxpayers as well. Recently we’ve helped pay for a stadium in Townsville and about to fork out for one in Hobart. Maybe this jurisdiction deserves similar Commonwealth funding.
We did this previously on the RiotAct, and when the results showed most of the community didn’t want a stadium we spend a couple of weeks running down the RiotAct as a two bit hopeless news site. If this survey comes out in alignment with the GH views it will be the most wonderful piece of research ever undertaken, but if it shows a stadium isn’t the priority then watch the Canberra Times pile on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This survey can’t be reliable. The respondents are self selected and only those with an online subscription can respond.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 23, 2024, 8:38 pm Taxpayers are actually the people who pay! So asking them how much they’d like to see spent on a stadium is pretty relevant. They’re Commonwealth and Territory voters and taxpayers as well. Recently we’ve helped pay for a stadium in Townsville and about to fork out for one in Hobart. Maybe this jurisdiction deserves similar Commonwealth funding.
We did this previously on the RiotAct, and when the results showed most of the community didn’t want a stadium we spend a couple of weeks running down the RiotAct as a two bit hopeless news site. If this survey comes out in alignment with the GH views it will be the most wonderful piece of research ever undertaken, but if it shows a stadium isn’t the priority then watch the Canberra Times pile on.
Ha

Here you go again with the Riotact. A website with tiny news readership and tiny overall public engagement with articles from very Greens and Labor supporting journalists and readership.

You may as well quote the China Daily for their survey views on Brookes and Dunn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:Taxpayers are actually the people who pay! So asking them how much they’d like to see spent on a stadium is pretty relevant. They’re Commonwealth and Territory voters and taxpayers as well. Recently we’ve helped pay for a stadium in Townsville and about to fork out for one in Hobart. Maybe this jurisdiction deserves similar Commonwealth funding.
Haha, OK.

Let's run the following survey for the taxpayers then...

What would you like the Government to spend tax revenue on: (Tick all that apply)
_ Improved roads
_ Better public transport
_ Greater access to healthcare
_ New football stadiums
_ More teachers and improved school facilities
_ National security
_ Music festivals and fireworks
_ More residential land releases

Seems like a legit way to develop fiscal policy measures. Let's do all the things

That's not to say that I don't want public funds spent on a new Stadium. It's just clearly a ridiculous survey and you know it.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

BJ wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:41 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Ha

Here you go again with the Riotact. A website with tiny news readership and tiny overall public engagement with articles from very Greens and Labor supporting journalists and readership.

You may as well quote the China Daily for their survey views on Brookes and Dunn.
Claiming the riotact is left leaning is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard anyone say on the gh.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raider Azz wrote:
BJ wrote: April 24, 2024, 9:41 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Ha

Claiming the riotact is left leaning is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard anyone say on the gh.
I may have inadvertently created confusion here Azz. I should have been clearer, I’m not talking about the comments of people on Riotact which are left right up down etc.

But have you read the comment articles from the main contributors Ian Bushnell, Chris Johnson and editor Genevieve Jacobs? Years of ACT government promotion and years of very soft questioning of ACT government policy and often tacit support for government policy.

So I’m talking just the key contributions and the reader Poll’s which regularly have very leading questions that regularly support our local government.

Questions like, Do you support the ACT governments clean, green and cheaper than elsewhere renewable electricity?

I myself support the ACT government’s 100% renewable energy equivalent policy but there’s more nuanced ways to poll people.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Need to wait for stadium build Saturday.

Which usually happens Tuesday afternoon.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Which year will this Stadium Build Saturday Tuesday occur?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

reptar wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Which year will this Stadium Build Saturday Tuesday occur?
Wednesday.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Looks like the Bruce spruce is shaping as the likely option. Reports today the Budget will be funding the train so a spit and polish at Bruce seems most likely.

Stadium, theatre, convention centre: what Canberra needs to make the nation proud

Canberra MP Alicia Payne, who chairs the joint parliamentary committee inquiry into fostering and promoting the significance of Australia's national capital, said it was "clear from the evidence" that Canberra's stadium infrastructure needed to be upgraded.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher said the government was "certainly working pretty closely with the ACT government on their priorities" ahead of next week's federal budget. Senator Gallagher said the government's plans for revitalising the run-down AIS were "coming to conclusion". "The ACT government's lobbying pretty strongly on a whole range of fronts, not just [the] stadium but transport, national facilities," Senator Gallagher said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I presume this is the article that says...

"Mr Barr has also written to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese requesting a 50/50 funding split on the progression of the sports, health and education precinct (including a new stadium) in Bruce."
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Well that's a terrible option. We need a brand new stadium. We deserve a brand new stadium.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This government is expert in putting lipstick on pigs. They should open a pig beautician academy.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:This government is expert in putting lipstick on pigs. They should open a pig beautician academy.
Down in Tuggeranong we don’t even get the lipstick or the pig.

The ACT government promises they will deliver a Tuggeranong pig with lipgloss before each election, but never even deliver a slice of ham.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They painted some Canberra branding on the Gregan Larkham stand side, what more do you people want?!?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The reports today only indicate a small commitment to Stage 2B of the tram.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers is weighing the ACT government's infrastructure wishlist ahead of the federal budget, which The Canberra Times can reveal will include $50 million for stage 2B of the Canberra light rail. The ACT government has not put a price tag on stage 2B, which is expected to be built between 2028 and 2033, although the 1.7-kilometre stage 2A has a contract for $577 million. The Commonwealth is paying for half of stage 2A, which is expected to be completed by January 2028: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

Feds chip in $50m for Woden light rail design work: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

I don’t think the Federal government is going to be in a position to say anything much about a stadium right now, as the ACT government doesn’t even know yet where it wants to build it. They don’t have a business case to present them, so as to seek funding.

Today’s reports certainly don’t suggest there’d just be an upgrade of the current stadium.

For those who want to read what the joint inquiry says about a stadium…

“The Committee recommends that the Commonwealth Government work with the ACT Government to upgrade Canberra’s stadium infrastructure to:

provide the necessary infrastructure to support national and international sporting events;

improve training and preparation facilities for athletes and teams;

include gender-friendly player facilities; and

improve spectator experience and comfort through increased stadium capacity, improved seating and weather protection, accessible parking and transport options, and suitable corporate facilities.”

A capital for all Australians: Report of the Joint Inquiry into fostering and promoting the significance of Australia’s National Capital: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bu ... AFA06&_z=z

Chapter 4: Sporting facilities: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bu ... Heading115
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

reptar wrote: May 7, 2024, 1:17 pm Do we have a new stadium yet?
Not until there are another 10 sewerage explosions.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:They painted some Canberra branding on the Gregan Larkham stand side, what more do you people want?!?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
My wife asked is that CBR branding something to do with GWS.

I’m like what?

She said it’s GWS colours.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:The reports today only indicate a small commitment to Stage 2B of the tram.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers is weighing the ACT government's infrastructure wishlist ahead of the federal budget, which The Canberra Times can reveal will include $50 million for stage 2B of the Canberra light rail. The ACT government has not put a price tag on stage 2B, which is expected to be built between 2028 and 2033, although the 1.7-kilometre stage 2A has a contract for $577 million. The Commonwealth is paying for half of stage 2A, which is expected to be completed by January 2028: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

Feds chip in $50m for Woden light rail design work: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329

I don’t think the Federal government is going to be in a position to say anything much about a stadium right now, as the ACT government doesn’t even know yet where it wants to build it. They don’t have a business case to present them, so as to seek funding.

Today’s reports certainly don’t suggest there’d just be an upgrade of the current stadium.

For those who want to read what the joint inquiry says about a stadium…

“The Committee recommends that the Commonwealth Government work with the ACT Government to upgrade Canberra’s stadium infrastructure to:

provide the necessary infrastructure to support national and international sporting events;

improve training and preparation facilities for athletes and teams;

include gender-friendly player facilities; and

improve spectator experience and comfort through increased stadium capacity, improved seating and weather protection, accessible parking and transport options, and suitable corporate facilities.”

A capital for all Australians: Report of the Joint Inquiry into fostering and promoting the significance of Australia’s National Capital: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bu ... AFA06&_z=z

Chapter 4: Sporting facilities: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bu ... Heading115
What Committee are they referencing? The Andrew Barr is the only committee member committee?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017