Ethan Sanders signs three year deal with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Botman »

I know BA is talking a big game about Sanders giving him his word about not asking for an early release

1. I say **** that. I hope he pushes for one anyways. The eels season is cooked.

2. Definitely **** that once BA is **** canned.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by FROG »

Finchy wrote: April 25, 2024, 9:53 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 25, 2024, 8:51 pm
Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 5:25 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 25, 2024, 5:22 pm
Colk wrote: April 25, 2024, 3:09 pm Look we need to cool our jets a little here. It’s promising that we signed a good young player but that is all it is: promising.

People stating that this means we should be challenging by 2026 or whatever is not only being disrespectful to history - I can only think of Manly with DCE, Foran and Ballin who’ve had three spine players debut within 24 months (or thereabouts) and go on and win a competition - but also disrespectful to other teams in the competition. Most teams in the competition have a good to very good fullback. Every other team has a better dummy half than us. Every other team has some decent backs and forwards.
That’s the spirit
Well come up with a counter argument then. I would say I’m being realistic. I agree it is our best chance but sometimes people need to not put undue pressure on young players as it is counterproductive
I think it's impossible to say what will happen at this point. I agree, let's not get carried away. If a few things go our way we could be contending sooner that 26/27. The competition is so wide open at the moment.

I'm personally sceptical that Sanders, Strange and Stewart can all become elite players. Odds are that 1 of them (at least) won't reach great heights. However I'm hopeful.

Lots of things can happen in the game over a short period of time. There could be a guy on out books now that we haven't spoken much about who is better than all 3 of these guys.

Right now though, we have one of the best forward packs in the NRL. With that, we should be competitive in most games.
If you're correct in that at least 1 out of the 3 won't develop to any great heights, I wonder which one. Strange has shown plenty thus far, and a lot of commentators are convinced Sanders will definitely be a quality NRL player. It's actually Stewart I'm most worried about. But who knows.
I'm def most worried about Stewart. Seems like a good kid so I hope I'm wrong but he seems to struggle under pressure. I haven't seen a lot of him play but when I compare the performances of the 3 at last year's origin... Strange absolutely killed it.... The kid loves big contests. I'm convinced we have a future origin player in him. Sanders was solid. Stewart made a few big errors. I actually thought he was pretty average. But he is younger and from all reports he has improved significantly the past 12 months so I'm def not writing him off. Just acknowledging some concerns I have with him at the moment
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I wouldn't say Stewart struggles under pressure. The opposite actually, I think he just plays his natural game all the time he just has some mistakes in him since he is so involved. His best trait is when he does make them he just keeps going, you could see it last week again. I do think playing up so early hasn't helped in a comparison, he is a year younger than Strange and Sanders which can be an eternity in junior terms and shows physically in his case.

Sanders will be a decent NRL player at the floor I think. It's a really hard position to be elite in though. Strange on the other hand is already pretty much locked in for rep at some point if he keeps his head screwed on and keep working.

I also don't think it's a failure if any of these guys aren't elite. Not every player bought through needs to be a superstar to be a success.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

FROG wrote: April 26, 2024, 6:31 am

That’s the spirit
Well come up with a counter argument then. I would say I’m being realistic. I agree it is our best chance but sometimes people need to not put undue pressure on young players as it is counterproductive
I think it's impossible to say what will happen at this point. I agree, let's not get carried away. If a few things go our way we could be contending sooner that 26/27. The competition is so wide open at the moment.

I'm personally sceptical that Sanders, Strange and Stewart can all become elite players. Odds are that 1 of them (at least) won't reach great heights. However I'm hopeful.

Lots of things can happen in the game over a short period of time. There could be a guy on out books now that we haven't spoken much about who is better than all 3 of these guys.

Right now though, we have one of the best forward packs in the NRL. With that, we should be competitive in most games.
If you're correct in that at least 1 out of the 3 won't develop to any great heights, I wonder which one. Strange has shown plenty thus far, and a lot of commentators are convinced Sanders will definitely be a quality NRL player. It's actually Stewart I'm most worried about. But who knows.
I'm def most worried about Stewart. Seems like a good kid so I hope I'm wrong but he seems to struggle under pressure. I haven't seen a lot of him play but when I compare the performances of the 3 at last year's origin... Strange absolutely killed it.... The kid loves big contests. I'm convinced we have a future origin player in him. Sanders was solid. Stewart made a few big errors. I actually thought he was pretty average. But he is younger and from all reports he has improved significantly the past 12 months so I'm def not writing him off. Just acknowledging some concerns I have with him at the moment
Look if Stewart is the one that doesn’t kick on and the other two do then that’s pretty good. There are plenty of good fullbacks around and it is easier to replace. Halves not so much
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

NoMan wrote: April 26, 2024, 6:47 am I wouldn't say Stewart struggles under pressure. The opposite actually, I think he just plays his natural game all the time he just has some mistakes in him since he is so involved. His best trait is when he does make them he just keeps going, you could see it last week again. I do think playing up so early hasn't helped in a comparison, he is a year younger than Strange and Sanders which can be an eternity in junior terms and shows physically in his case.

Sanders will be a decent NRL player at the floor I think. It's a really hard position to be elite in though. Strange on the other hand is already pretty much locked in for rep at some point if he keeps his head screwed on and keep working.

I also don't think it's a failure if any of these guys aren't elite. Not every player bought through needs to be a superstar to be a success.

True but you would want at least want one or preferably two to become elite.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

FROG wrote:

That’s the spirit

He's been brought in a bit too early IMO, but the coach's hand was forced.

In saying that, those weather conditions in Brisbane are as bad as it gets. Very tough for any fullback, let alone a relatively small guy with 1 NRL game under his belt.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: April 26, 2024, 12:12 am I know BA is talking a big game about Sanders giving him his word about not asking for an early release

1. I say **** that. I hope he pushes for one anyways. The eels season is cooked.

What's the benefit of him coming this season? I don't get it.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The young Souths fullback, 2nd top flight game , made errors early . He didn't drop his head either.

Young players are going to make errors , there is going to be a big gap between their best and worst.
Walsh still makes mistakes but the media makes you believe he is perfect.
They need to get experience and they will eventually close the gap between best and worst.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:27 am
Botman wrote: April 26, 2024, 12:12 am I know BA is talking a big game about Sanders giving him his word about not asking for an early release

1. I don’t expect Chevy to play the entire year in FG. Getting him here early and getting time to work on his combination work Chev would be a benefit

2. Whilst initially i felt he’d be best staying at parra in nsw cup to develop, i did not appreciate the **** show that cup team was. And I think his development would benefit from being in a cup team like ours who have strong middles

3. We actually don’t have halves depth in the club right now, Fog is out long term, if we lose one of Weekes or Strange in this period who is actually going to play in the halves?
We came into the year short in halves. Getting him early would address that to some extent
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

6. Strange
7. Whitehead

Return of the king baby.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Bringing Sanders to the club gets him into our system. That's the benefit.
I hope it happens but I don't see it happening unless we give them someone
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Look forward to half the GH writing Saunders off when he doesn't set up 3 tries, score 2 himself and run 300m tonight on debut.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Azza wrote:Look forward to half the GH writing Saunders off when he doesn't set up 3 tries, score 2 himself and run 300m tonight on debut.
Followed by Brad Arthur doing a Stick and blaming the media for him having to select him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: April 26, 2024, 10:12 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:27 am

1. I don’t expect Chevy to play the entire year in FG. Getting him here early and getting time to work on his combination work Chev would be a benefit

2. Whilst initially i felt he’d be best staying at parra in nsw cup to develop, i did not appreciate the **** show that cup team was. And I think his development would benefit from being in a cup team like ours who have strong middles

3. We actually don’t have halves depth in the club right now, Fog is out long term, if we lose one of Weekes or Strange in this period who is actually going to play in the halves?
We came into the year short in halves. Getting him early would address that to some extent
All valid points. 👍
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Azza wrote: April 26, 2024, 4:41 pm Look forward to half the GH writing Saunders off when he doesn't set up 3 tries, score 2 himself and run 300m tonight on debut.
Haha lovely call.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Sanders looking sexy warming up
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I hope The Colonel sets up a try, scores one himself, has a sound kicking game and solid defence 2nite.

And Parra lose by 50.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 26, 2024, 7:33 pm Sanders looking sexy warming up
Keep it PG please, Dylan.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

He’ll look better in green 💚
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

People on here somehow highjacking a Sanders thread to grandstand about Stewart being a concern are cooked.

What's wrong with you? Seriously. He's 18. And has had one game.

Get a life.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

-PJ- wrote: April 26, 2024, 7:40 pm I hope The Colonel sets up a try, scores one himself, has a sound kicking game and solid defence 2nite.

And Parra lose by 50.
I've celebrated early with some of the Colonel's finest.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

LUKE BROOKS JUST TOOK HIS BLOODY HEAD OFF!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

First game for Sanders - facing Olokuwatu as the opposing backrower. Talk about a baptism of fire. He looks good early.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:21 pm First game for Sanders - facing Olokuwatu as the opposing backrower. Talk about a baptism of fire. He looks good early.
Pfft - he’s touched it twice and hasn’t scored or set up a try yet
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

His first touch he got a penalty because of good foot work, second touch he got a line break and he hasn’t missed a tackle
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:23 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:21 pm First game for Sanders - facing Olokuwatu as the opposing backrower. Talk about a baptism of fire. He looks good early.
Yep, fair call. Let's cancel the contract.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:26 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:23 pm
Yep, fair call. Let's cancel the contract.
:roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s looking like a steak out there. Mouthwatering but totally surrounded by spuds!
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

I’ve seen enough.

Strange should be playing on the right hand side starting this week and Fog should spend the next 3 months watching Hodgson / Smith tapes for his switch to hooker in the 2025 offseason

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Billy Walker wrote:He’s looking like a steak out there. Mouthwatering but totally surrounded by spuds!
ImageImageImage

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

That cooling period ended on Thursday didn't it...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Sanders looks like he certainly belongs in this company.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:48 pm Sanders looks like he certainly belongs in this company.
Whoa woah - let’s say level, not company!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Level.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:38 pm He’s looking like a steak out there. Mouthwatering but totally surrounded by spuds!
🤣🤣