Sharks 13+
39%

Total votes: 18

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I’ve been lurking this forum since 2012 and only started posting a couple years back. I consider myself to be… pretty emotional when it comes to the raiders but I must say, some takes on here are all time haha.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 26, 2024, 4:18 pm I’ve been lurking this forum since 2012 and only started posting a couple years back. I consider myself to be… pretty emotional when it comes to the raiders but I must say, some takes on here are all time haha.
:roflmao
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Well based on the results so far this weekend anyone else worried it's either going to be a two point game or we are going to have fifty put on us?

I could totally see the rest of the weekend going Manly by 50, Broncos by 50, Panthers by 50, Dolphins by 50, Sharks by 50 :(
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Can we start a separate sub-forum called the Billy and Finchy show (with occasional visits from pandemic expert Nicholas-man) so that the rest of the GH doesn't get clogged constantly with this ongoing drivel?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm
HoraceBigCigar wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:58 am
Ruben Daley wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:22 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 23, 2024, 7:10 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
I wonder if it is pride. Ricky definitely has that in spades but who’s he too proud to admit a mistake to? Us? I doubt it. The media? They’re not pointing out issues with selections. They never do.

Lots of people claimed Ricky was too proud to admit he should’ve played Savage but he overcame it by saying earlier this season that he knew Savage would be an excellent footballer three years ago and has been proven correct.

Too proud to move Kris? Not really. He just said Kris’ best spot is centre and didn’t reflect on that also being true for the whole time Kris played fullback last year.

Jack not working at five-eighth? Jack not being worth a million bucks? Jack not being the best player in our team? Nope. Ricky just focuses on Strange and the youth.

I think we conjure conversations where Ricky argues for his guys against all evidence because he’s stubborn and proud. But I wonder if those conversations happen. I think it’s just as likely the only discussion this week was who would replace Jamal and it lasted two minutes because they’d decided Kaeo would be next man in back in January.
Hahaha every single one of those examples you’ve cited proves that pride and stubbornness is his number one problem, they’re not making the case you think they are!
Only if you believe he stuck to his guns in the face of clear evidence that his plan wasn’t working - which is definitely how it looks. I just don’t know if I believe he thinks like that.

I reckon he may well be not assessing other options like bringing in Woolford/Trevilyan/Puru at all.

In other words, I doubt whether seeing how much better the team is playing now has made him reconsider his decision to offer Jack a million bucks a year for four years. I doubt he thinks Kris didn’t work/spent too long at fullback.
The Starling thing is weird. Other “hard” decisions have been made this year (Guler, Cotric, Hoppa still in cup) but this one sticks and it costs us. We’re not good enough to have the luxury of plying a 16+1 game.
Do you think it could be because…. And stay with me here….. ummm ….. despite the echoes of a forum, Woolford isn’t actually very good.

Levi is our starting 9 doing a great job, and Starling disappointingly is 14 because there is nobody better.

Crazy theory I know! But is my theory that a coach might pick his best players each week any wilder than the conspiracy theories on here about grudges and pettiness and pride. Talk about tin foil hats out in force :roflmao
I think there’s a middle ground.

Levi is tough and rugged and they’re qualities Ricky values. I have a mate who’s also mates with Ricky and cut from the same mould who said to me this week that he loves Levi because he’s a bit “dirty and rough”. I think Levi is on brand for Ricky’s idea for this team.

I also think Levi has done enough (at least prior to last week) to support his selection, particularly for those with a starting point on his side (like Ricky, my mate and you, Billy.)

Lots of others on the GH value crisp service and sharp judgement. Woolford has shown he’s the best hooker at the club for these qualities though I’m hoping Trevilyan will prove even better. Levi has consistently shown he’s weak in these areas, particularly when the team is under the pump. There was a set in our attacking 20m on the weekend where Levi went to the wrong side and/or passed to the wrong option every single play when we desperately needed points.

That’s why I’d have Woolford over Levi.

I also think Woolford isn’t a typical impact player, which is why Ricky persists with Starling even though Starling hasn’t had actual impact off the bench for a while now. That’s more about the perception of him being fit for the role. Though, again, I’d pick Woolford because I’d rather than 20 minutes of decent service than 20 minutes of someone intended to lift the tempo who doesn’t.

Ultimately, we need a hooker who’s better than Levi, Starling and Woolford.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 4:15 pm
Finchy wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm Do you think it could be because…. And stay with me here….. ummm ….. despite the echoes of a forum, Woolford isn’t actually very good.

Levi is our starting 9 doing a great job, and Starling disappointingly is 14 because there is nobody better.

Crazy theory I know! But is my theory that a coach might pick his best players each week any wilder than the conspiracy theories on here about grudges and pettiness and pride. Talk about tin foil hats out in force :roflmao
So the coach picks the best players each week hey Billy? How do explain the continued selection of your whipping boys Croker and Cotric last year? Or the fact he picked Woolford over Levi for nearly all of last year even after his jaw healed? Or the fact Semi and now Hoppa were dropped to reserves despite being so “fantastic”?

Grudges pettiness and pride are 3 very accurate descriptors of Ricky, and his selections or non selections over the years have proven that.
The problem with your theory is that it is based on an extraordinary level of arrogance that you have a more enlightened judgment on what the correct selections are, than an NRL coach who’s job it is to train and analyse these players. Call me crazy, but I feel Ricky might have a bit more skin in the game than you and the other members of the peanut gallery. I’m going to go out on a real limb here and suggest he might even be a better judge on these things than the GH echoes. :roflmao But I encourage you to maintain the rage and delusion Finchy - you wear it well :roflmao
As usual you fail to address any of my points. If the GH is the peanut gallery, you're the leader. You're destroying your own arguments with your assertions that the coach knows more than we do when it comes to team selections. If that's the case, what's all your whinging about Croker and Cotric and Woolford being picked last year about? Or the non-selection of Savage last year? Or the continued picking of Starling? Or the fact he's only just dropped Guler?

I could provide countless examples of bad selections or non-selections over the years, but ultimately if the coach can do no wrong and all of his selections are infallible, then it stands to reason all of your whinging about your whipping boys getting picked and your man-crushes not getting picked makes you just has bad as the rest of us (actually worse because you want crap players picked, but anyway).
Last edited by Finchy on April 26, 2024, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: April 26, 2024, 4:31 pm Can we start a separate sub-forum called the Billy and Finchy show (with occasional visits from pandemic expert Nicholas-man) so that the rest of the GH doesn't get clogged constantly with this ongoing drivel?
Geez Azza - what did I ever do to you?? :o I mean, stick pins in my eyes, launch bowling balls into my nads - but lock me is a sub-forum with Finchy and slick Nick :cry: That has to be against UN regulations around torture. :lol:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:28 pm
Azza wrote: April 26, 2024, 4:31 pm Can we start a separate sub-forum called the Billy and Finchy show (with occasional visits from pandemic expert Nicholas-man) so that the rest of the GH doesn't get clogged constantly with this ongoing drivel?
Geez Azza - what did I ever do to you?? :o I mean, stick pins in my eyes, launch bowling balls into my nads - but lock me is a sub-forum with Finchy and slick Nick :cry: That has to be against UN regulations around torture. :lol:
Nickman wouldn't contribute much because he has you blocked. Unfortunately, and against my better judgement, I do not.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Azza wrote:Can we start a separate sub-forum called the Billy and Finchy show (with occasional visits from pandemic expert Nicholas-man) so that the rest of the GH doesn't get clogged constantly with this ongoing drivel?
This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Finchy wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:39 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:28 pm
Nickman wouldn't contribute much because he has you blocked. Unfortunately, and against my better judgement, I do not.
He says that but he constantly indirectly responds through others, so it's some sort of bizarre kink at play I think.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you lot keep quoting the peanut

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

bonehead wrote: April 26, 2024, 5:50 pm you lot keep quoting the peanut

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I mainly do it to screw with the pandemic expert's head.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half Jamal Fogarty speaks for the first time post-surgery

Jamal Fogarty has backed the Canberra Raiders' young halves to cover not only him, but his super boot as well.

"They're wonderful football players in their own ways. I think they'll go well. Having an experienced forward pack like we do to help them out and to get us on the front foot is very beneficial for them. It's up to those guys to get the shape on, defend well and get to a kick. If we can do that we're giving ourselves a chance.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PODCAST: Hudson Young: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/t ... 0653631826
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Wait..

Jamal hasn’t spoken since surgery.

I don’t believe that.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I also will say about Chevy, he has always seemed to play up an age group and takes 4 to 6 games to get into it. I won’t go back but from memory, he didn’t get his first try or try assist in cup until game 4 and then went on from them.

I don’t expect him to have an impact on games for a little while yet.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Intreasted to how Ethan Sanders as their a call to get him to the raiders earlier due to fog injury
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

mikeraider wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:03 pm Intreasted to how Ethan Sanders as their a call to get him to the raiders earlier due to fog injury
Thanks Michael.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Sanders playing well
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Crusader wrote:Sanders playing well
He has to back it up this Sunday.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

mikeraider wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:03 pm Intreasted to how Ethan Sanders as their a call to get him to the raiders earlier due to fog injury
I'd say there's next to zero chance the eels would be willing to let him go early.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raider Azz wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:54 pm
I'd say there's next to zero chance the eels would be willing to let him go early.
Yep Jarryd Hayne more a chance of getting an early release.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 10:04 pm
lol!

In all seriousness though they might but only for a trade, however I can't see us wanting to give them anyone though unless it's something super left of field like a swap for CHN as our doctors don't want to let him play here again (and possibly with good reason too but who knows).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: April 26, 2024, 11:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 10:04 pm
lol!

In all seriousness though they might but only for a trade, however I can't see us wanting to give them anyone though unless it's something super left of field like a swap for CHN as our doctors don't want to let him play here again (and possibly with good reason too but who knows).
From what I saw tonight anyone we offer them will be an upgrade on what they have.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 10:04 pm Yep Jarryd Hayne more a chance of getting an early release.
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:25 pm As exciting as this is, may I remind everyone it is hard for Parra players to receive an early release. Just ask Jarryd Hayne about that :roflmao
Billy W just casually trying the same material in different threads on the same night.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders out to prove doubters wrong, again

It's a case of the Canberra Raiders looking to prove the doubters wrong - once again. No one will relish that opportunity more than Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who loves a good case of "us against the world".

Without two key players in their spine in Fogarty and Rapana, no one's expecting them to beat the table-topping Cronulla Sharks. Well, no one outside the four walls of Raiders HQ. Which is why they have a free hit on Sunday.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve read this 6 times and must admit..

I have no idea.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2024, 6:44 am Canberra Raiders out to prove doubters wrong, again

It's a case of the Canberra Raiders looking to prove the doubters wrong - once again. No one will relish that opportunity more than Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who loves a good case of "us against the world".

Without two key players in their spine in Fogarty and Rapana, no one's expecting them to beat the table-topping Cronulla Sharks. Well, no one outside the four walls of Raiders HQ. Which is why they have a free hit on Sunday.

Free hit ?
Rick
Steve Walters

2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Rick »

-PJ- wrote:

I have no idea.
Much wow, very yes.

Actually I think I figured it out, Mikeraider is Blocker.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Crusader wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:45 pm Sanders playing well
Yes he did Crusader. The Eels right in the game until Sivo decided to use a forearm while making a tackle and got himself 10 minutes in the sin bin. Manly scored two tries directly down his wing shortly after that. Game over. I knew Sanders could kick the ball well and defend but I was pleasantly surprised by his running game. His passing looked the goods too. Some more games in FG for the Eels this year and then to the Raiders in 2025. So many good young Raiders players to get the happy dance out for.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2024, 6:44 am Canberra Raiders out to prove doubters wrong, again

Ah yes, this old chestnut. Rick doesn’t need a very big locker because this is the only thing he reaches in there and grabs.

No one rates us!
Backs against the wall!
Prove the doubters wrong!
Bleed green!

Rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble….
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:

I have no idea.
He knows what he’s doing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:33 am
-PJ- wrote:

I have no idea.
Has Ethan Sanders really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like Fog?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:33 am
-PJ- wrote:

I have no idea.
Has Ethan Sanders really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like Fog?
Crotic.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

RedRaider wrote: April 27, 2024, 7:00 am
Crusader wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:45 pm Sanders playing well
Yes he did Crusader. The Eels right in the game until Sivo decided to use a forearm while making a tackle and got himself 10 minutes in the sin bin. Manly scored two tries directly down his wing shortly after that. Game over. I knew Sanders could kick the ball well and defend but I was pleasantly surprised by his running game. His passing looked the goods too. Some more games in FG for the Eels this year and then to the Raiders in 2025. So many good young Raiders players to get the happy dance out for.
How dumb was that by Sivo