Ethan Sanders signs three year deal with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:2025:

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Michael Asomua
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Ata Mariota
9. Jamal Fogarty
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Hohepa Puru
15. Josh Papali’i
16. Trey Mooney
17. Cory Horsburgh
Fogarty to hooker??? Need I remind you of the McCrone Debarkle?
that's all on Mrs nickman

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

Post by Rick »

Not much different than trying to turn Puru into a hooker except after 2025, Fog could walk into a number of different teams as a 7.

I think we would be mad not to at least explore the idea. He is still relatively Jnr in his career having only played 87 NRL games.

He sometimes gets caught out in defence but I think his contact in defence is fine it’s more his decision making and lateral movement which would be less of an issue at Hooker.

He has a nice passing game, great kicking game and would be a mature steady head with good experience to assist 2 Jnr halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

You honestly couldn’t have expected a better debut from Sanders.

I didn’t think he’d handle it like he did. I think it has underlined how a good half will always struggle in a poor team no matter the level of footy. Their NSW Cup team stinks and as soon as he was flung into a good team his talent shone through.

I think it’s very important to note that the only young halfbacks who’ve killed it at such an age in the NRL era are Cleary and Smith. He’ll be a project and inconsistent for a while. But it’s pretty obvious he’s a future NRL standard half.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sanders looked really promising in this one. While he was very much the secondary half he never looked rushed or rattled which is a real rarity for a half in their first handful of matches. Seems to have good distance on his boot. When his combination with Strange does get a run it'll be interesting to see how Strange adjusts to the right edge. I wonder if Strange to centre is perhaps on the cards with Sanders partnering Fogarty in the halves initially.

It was a good example of why trials are too chaotic to really judge individual performance as he looked twice the player he did in the trial against us.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Strange won’t need much adjustment playing on the right
It’s his best and most natural position
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Agree with the general sentiments Sanders went well.

Still a bit agog at people judging him on trial game when he'd never even played Cup before. He's very much a work in progress but there's plenty there to work with.

Set up kind of nicely actually. He got the chance to show what he's got in attack already- often the last part to really click at FG level. We knew he could kick. He had to do a mountain of defence in some pretty difficult circumstances and generally held up, then struggled a bit with exhaustion imo. Good experience.

And now he's got the bye to recover from those 35 tackles before a couple of really hard challenges- Broncos Friday night and Storm away. He might get the Souffs game then Moses should be back and he can take what he's learnt back to cup and maybe go up a level there. Noice.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 8:16 am Strange won’t need much adjustment playing on the right
Hopefully he has a right foot step like his left foot :D
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Strange won’t need much adjustment playing on the right
Really, that’s his natural side, is it?

I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned that before, Botto
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

bonehead wrote: April 27, 2024, 6:29 am
The Nickman wrote:
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:2025:

1. Chevy Stewart
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Michael Asomua
6. Ethan Strange
7. Ethan Sanders
8. Ata Mariota
9. Jamal Fogarty
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Hohepa Puru
15. Josh Papali’i
16. Trey Mooney
17. Cory Horsburgh
Fogarty to hooker??? Need I remind you of the McCrone Debarkle?
that's all on Mrs nickman

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
People need to be prepared for Sanders to sit for 2025 - if Jamal's form continues then I don't see Rick moving on to an inexperienced seven out of the gates.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'd be very surprised if he sits in NSW cup for much of 2025, I think if that's the case then things are going very well for the team overall. How they fit him in is another question.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think we are more likely to see Sanders at 6, Strange at centre and Kris at wing than Sandera in Cup. Obviously Strange is our long term 6 but if the choice is between Sanders or Hoppa/Cotric I think we are clearly stronger with Sanders.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

1- Stewart
6- Strange
7- Sanders
9/14 - Fogarty

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote:I think we are more likely to see Sanders at 6, Strange at centre and Kris at wing than Sandera in Cup. Obviously Strange is our long term 6 but if the choice is between Sanders or Hoppa/Cotric I think we are clearly stronger with Sanders.
Kris should never play wing again. If Strange were to move to the centres to accommodate both Sanders and Fog in the halves, then Kris will have to shuffle onto the bench or into the pack.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The Nickman wrote: April 27, 2024, 11:29 am
Wiki Special wrote:I think we are more likely to see Sanders at 6, Strange at centre and Kris at wing than Sandera in Cup. Obviously Strange is our long term 6 but if the choice is between Sanders or Hoppa/Cotric I think we are clearly stronger with Sanders.
Kris should never play wing again. If Strange were to move to the centres to accommodate both Sanders and Fog in the halves, then Kris will have to shuffle onto the bench or into the pack.
I think Kris better at centre but I also think he would do a better job on the wing than Hopoate or Cotric. Just a personal opinion, could be wrong. Haven't seen enough of Asomua to have an opinion, hopefully he makes it.
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Sanders made his debut last night and has played 6 cup games. He’s undoubtedly our future, but with the form Fog is in this year, I can’t see anything but him starting (at least to kick off 2025).

I don’t like the idea of moving Strange, but Sanders and Strange do have that half/centre combo from u19 NSW so potentially.

If Fog was able to transition to hooker successfully and all our teenage spine kick on, geez that would solve a lot of problems.

I’d also think somethings up because raiders fans aren’t allowed nice things
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Fast forward to next year and he would have played a year of Cup and a chunk of NRL games due to MM’s injury and likely selection for NSW.

I would much rather Sanders and Fogarty than Fogarty and Levi.

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

We really need a top shelf hooker for our young spine - imagine unearthing another Josh Hodgson.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 27, 2024, 2:55 pm We really need a top shelf hooker for our young spine - imagine unearthing another Josh Hodgson.
Yeah I don't think waiting for our junior hookers to emerge quite cuts it as a plan. We need someone in the meantime.

He's no Hodgo but if you want to go to England Edwin Ipape seems to be a much better version of the type of hooker Ricky likes- tough as nails. He wouldn't break the bank and has a pretty well rounded game. He's from PNG so less likely to get the homesick for UK/wants to live at the beach vibes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 26, 2024, 11:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:25 pm As exciting as this is, may I remind everyone it is hard for Parra players to receive an early release. Just ask Jarryd Hayne about that :roflmao
This made me laugh.
I didn’t think much of it..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

The debut from Sanders was outstanding. The clubs recruitment should be lauded for the signings of Sanders, Stewart and Strange. It's one thing to identify the talent, it's another thing to get the deals done. There was a lot of talk in the preseason that our recruitment was struggling. These signings are proving to be very, very well done. We're very fortunate to have this sort of talent on our books.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 27, 2024, 2:55 pm We really need a top shelf hooker for our young spine - imagine unearthing another Josh Hodgson.
I really like Jez Litten at Hull KR. Plays the game with his head up.
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Kris at wing isn’t unfathomable. He did decently at fullback, can’t see how being on the wing is beyond him.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think we're stuck with levy and to be fair he hasn't been our worst player this year...

I think we're still a back rower short but not sure there is a whole lot out there.

At some point I'm expecting Stewart will need a spell in reggies.. leaves us skinny a full back.. however, I think weeks can do a job for us there if required. Would mean cook potentially slotting in a hb (until sanders arrives) which I suppose wouldn't be a disaster.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

President Clinton wrote: April 27, 2024, 8:34 pm
Kris at wing isn’t unfathomable. He did decently at fullback, can’t see how being on the wing is beyond him.
Sounds good in theory, but I agree with nickman. He has played wing on a number of occasions and has always been terrible...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sebby Kris is a natural footballer, he could play anywhere... unfortunately he sucks at anywhere but Centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Decided to catch up on Sanders debut first... and yeah man, it was impressive
He had a couple of misses defensively but they ran A LOT of traffic at him, not sure if it was because i was entirely focused on him but it seemed like they were gunning to test him out and for the most part he passed

Loved his touches as a ball player, he really did straighten them up and create space with that. I cant imagine watching that game and not being excited that he's going to be the future at LH for us.
Chevy debut up tomorrow and then... idk, i might skip the broncos game :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:22 pm Decided to catch up on Sanders debut first... and yeah man, it was impressive
He had a couple of misses defensively but they ran A LOT of traffic at him, not sure if it was because i was entirely focused on him but it seemed like they were gunning to test him out and for the most part he passed

Loved his touches as a ball player, he really did straighten them up and create space with that. I cant imagine watching that game and not being excited that he's going to be the future at LH for us.
In the last 20 minutes they were also running at the edge with a player sin binned - they continued to run gargantuan second rowers at him - and it’s no wonder Sanders struggled a bit with that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:25 pm
Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:22 pm Decided to catch up on Sanders debut first... and yeah man, it was impressive

In the last 20 minutes they were also running at the edge with a player sin binned - they continued to run gargantuan second rowers at him - and it’s no wonder Sanders struggled a bit with that.
Yeah that's a very fair point, he was in a pretty **** spot at times given they were a man down, makes it much easier to isolate a half.
But yeah quality edge forwards on a half, any half, is a mismatch that will eventually pay off...
The game confirmed to me exactly what i thought about him... very good talent, can handle NRL footy much quicker than many think because he's a good defender and can kick... those things will carry the day for a hot minute

and his ball playing and running game are already quite advanced for his age but still need refinement. He's a bloody good bet to make
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Chevy debut up tomorrow and then... idk, i might skip the broncos game :lol:
Yeah skip the Broncos game mate nothing to be gained from that.

I agree with the commentary about Sanders and his debut. Very impressive. I am happy to say that it was chalk and cheese between that game and other earlier games that I saw him play - really raised his level which was really pleasing.

I was most impressed by his defence. I know he had a couple of blemishes there but to stand up and generally hold his own against probably the most damaging second rower in the game (outside of say Fifita) was the most encouraging aspect. His running game was also a surprise considering the earlier games I had seen of him. He really showed some courage to take the line on and that direct running really helped his side of attack.

If he continues that trajectory then we may have a decent player on our hands and it will very interesting how we run next year.

I’d love for say Fogarty to take over dummy half duties (he would be an automatic improvement over our current options imo) but that would be a big call make. I’d prefer to keep him than Levi for obvious reasons. The more conservative option would be to move Strange to centre.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:30 pm

Yeah that's a very fair point, he was in a pretty **** spot at times given they were a man down, makes it much easier to isolate a half.
But yeah quality edge forwards on a half, any half, is a mismatch that will eventually pay off...
The game confirmed to me exactly what i thought about him... very good talent, can handle NRL footy much quicker than many think because he's a good defender and can kick... those things will carry the day for a hot minute

and his ball playing and running game are already quite advanced for his age but still need refinement. He's a bloody good bet to make
He handled it a bit better than other halves have against Olakau'atu this year. He is an absolute weapon. That was the most pleasing thing for me. He can handle it defensively and you can build a career on that
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I cant help but think how much Young, Kris and Savage would benefit from having Sanders straight the attack up the way he does
and conversely i think Strange, with how his game is, with a his running game and passing compliments the power running on the otherside with Timoko and eventually Asomua...
Really exciting.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

we should try and get him early. Get him into our system. Give him a few games in the top grade.
Parra can have Hoppa, Cotric or Levi or all 3 to make it happen
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 27, 2024, 10:05 pm we should try and get him early. Get him into our system. Give him a few games in the top grade.
Two of Billy's favourites and a Billy whipping boy, interesting combination.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:30 pm

Absolutely.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Finchy wrote: April 27, 2024, 10:29 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 27, 2024, 10:05 pm we should try and get him early. Get him into our system. Give him a few games in the top grade.
Two of Billy's favourites and a Billy whipping boy, interesting combination.
Haha. Parra only have two hookers surely they need a third. Maybe an average winger as well?