22%
Sharks 13+
39%

Total votes: 18

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Round 8 v Sharks: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: "It is about winning now, but it's also about building for the future"

Elliott Whitehead, almost 350 first class games in England and Australia. Jordan Rapana, over 200 NRL appearances. Jamal Fogarty and Corey Horsburgh, both over 80 first grade games.

Those are the Canberra Raiders players who are sitting on the sidelines with long-term injuries.

But Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says that he's not crying over the list of players - and the enormous amount of experience - that will be missing from Sunday's clash with the Sharks at Canberra Stadium.

He says he'd rather take a more positive outlook - and focus on the youth that are being blooded for the future.

"I think it is the youngest backline the Raiders have ever put on the field. It's certainly the youngest seven, six and one we've probably ever had in the history of our club," Stuart said today.

"You can look at that in two ways."

"You can look at that as a very inexperienced team today. Or you can look at how the future is bright in regards to the youth we have in those positions. We certainly have a 'win now' attitude. But as the head coach of the club, I've got to have a 'win later' attitude too."

"It is about winning now, but it's also about building for the future."

Stuart says captain Elliott Whitehead (calf) is not far away from a return, while Jordan Rapana (knee) may be back on the field after the Round 10 bye. Stuart says they're both "chomping at the bit" to play, but he won't be taking any risks with premature returns.

A report for The Greenhouse

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... -v-sharks/

VIDEO: Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart speaks ahead of the round eight match against the Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/04 ... t-round-8/

Tom Starling carrying family name all the way from Burma Railway

When Tom Starling links arms with his teammates and the Last Post echoes across Canberra Stadium he will think of the great-grandfather he never got the chance to meet. William John Starling, known as ‘Snowy’, served in Singapore in World War II and was captured by the Japanese and made a prisoner of war and sent to work on the infamous Burma railway.

“We’ve had a photo frame of Snowy with his medals hung up in the house ever since I can remember,” Starling said. “I do think of that photo when I stand out there with my teammates and listen to the last post and stand for a minute of silence. My great-grandfather’s service has always been something that my family has spoken since I was a young kid about how proud they are of him.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/27/sta ... a-railway/
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Say what you want about Stick, but he’s created a good culture down here.

Keen to see how our boys play with no Fog. Weekes has more silkiness about him, although we will obviously miss Fogs kicking game. The pack should be fired up after getting trounced by their reserve grade team.

Snag a win here and/or against a DCE/Ola-less Eagles before the bye and we’re in recent shape
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Why is Starling in the media every week? The bloke is lucky to be still coming off the bench.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Raoul Duke wrote:Why is Starling in the media every week? The bloke is lucky to be still coming off the bench.
He has to contribute in some way I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Raider Azz wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:54 pm
mikeraider wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:03 pm Intreasted to how Ethan Sanders as their a call to get him to the raiders earlier due to fog injury
I'd say there's next to zero chance the eels would be willing to let him go early.
Depends if they parra changers their half's again heard the 6th time with sanders.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Raider Azz wrote: April 26, 2024, 9:54 pm
mikeraider wrote: April 26, 2024, 8:03 pm Intreasted to how Ethan Sanders as their a call to get him to the raiders earlier due to fog injury
I'd say there's next to zero chance the eels would be willing to let him go early.
Depends if they parra changers their half's again heard the 6th time with sanders.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Rudolf out.. straight down the middle we go..
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

radicalraider wrote:Rudolf out.. straight down the middle we go..
Just like last time….

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:Wait..

Jamal hasn’t spoken since surgery.

I don’t believe that.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart's advice to Kaeo Weekes ahead of Canberra Raiders debut

Kaeo Weekes doesn't need to copy Jamal Fogarty. Ricky Stuart just wants his Canberra Raiders halfback to be himself.

"You can't expect players to copy another player's game," Stuart said. "I don't expect them to copy the person they're replacing's game. But there's certain fundamentals of the game of football that every position needs to get right that's what we're looking at with those younger boys - making sure the fundamentals are executed well.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raoul Duke wrote: April 27, 2024, 1:21 pm Why is Starling in the media every week? The bloke is lucky to be still coming off the bench.
People have poor attention spans and he is a short story.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Lets hope the raiders watched the brumbies today and take some inspiration from their game today, got flogged last week then came out and beat the hurricanes

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Elcaptcroker wrote:Lets hope the raiders watched the brumbies today and take some inspiration from their game today, got flogged last week then came out and beat the hurricanes

Brumbies supporters don't even watch the Brumbies

I'm sure the Raiders wouldn't have taken any notice

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: April 27, 2024, 6:33 pm Lets hope the raiders watched the brumbies today and take some inspiration from their game today, got flogged last week then came out and beat the hurricanes

I’d rather our players not be brain dead the night before a big game
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Rugby Union is terrible but so have the league games been this week. Awful viewing
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Elcaptcroker wrote: April 27, 2024, 6:33 pm Lets hope the raiders watched the brumbies today and take some inspiration from their game today, got flogged last week then came out and beat the hurricanes

Better hope they have a Stan subscription!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘I made winning personal. It’s not always healthy’: The passion that’s propelled Ricky Stuart to 500-game milestone

No one rides the result, or feels a loss, more acutely than Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

“That comes from my father, Les,” Stuart says. I’m lucky that I’ve had that upbringing. Ever since I was a young boy, I made winning personal. I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad thing, but it’s hard to change what’s bred into you. It’s not always healthy.”

“I try so hard now to be better at it. Every coach handles it differently. No coach likes losing, I get that. I just find it very hard to park it and move on. Because of the relationships with the players, and how much they need me to move on, I’m doing everything I can to do that. I love the boys and will do everything I can to improve.”

Read more: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5fmza.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-made ... 5fmza.html

ARLC acknowledges Ricky Stuart

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has congratulated Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who brings up his 500th match as an NRL coach this weekend.

Stuart will become just the fifth coach to reach the milestone when the Raiders host the Sharks in an NRL Telstra Premiership Round 8 clash at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

In raising the milestone, Stuart will join an exclusive list which currently includes only Wayne Bennett (920* matches coached), Tim Sheens (693), Brian Smith (601), and Craig Bellamy (556*).

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said Stuart had become one of the most accomplished coaches in the game following an illustrious playing career which included three Premierships with the Raiders in 1989, 1990 and 1994.

“Ricky has gone on to become one of the game’s longest serving and a Premiership-winning coach after an outstanding playing career, and he now joins a very short list of NRL coaches who have reached 500 matches,” said Mr V’landys.

“As a coach he applies the same traits that made him such a brilliant player and leader on the field. We all see the ferocious competitor and the passion Ricky has, but that also comes with a genuine care for the game and for his players and his record is testament to his ability to get the most out of his teams.

“Just as importantly Ricky is a champion person. His work through the Ricky Stuart foundation, whose objective is to ensure that every individual with autism and their family has access to state-of-the-art respite facilities and best practice housing models, is extraordinary and inspirational.”

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said Ricky Stuart had made a major contribution to the game as a player, coach and ambassador.

“Ricky Stuart has broken records as a player and now as a coach.

“Also many people wouldn’t realise how much Ricky pours back into the Rugby League community through his work off the field outside of coaching and I want to thank him for his contribution to the game as he celebrates this special milestone.”

ARLC media statement
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Story says the senior players approached him in the off season on the need to move on.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:47 pm Story says the senior players approached him in the off season on the need to move on.
Move on from what exactly? The 2019 GF loss? Losses in general? Wighton leaving?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote: April 27, 2024, 10:27 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2024, 9:47 pm Story says the senior players approached him in the off season on the need to move on.
Move on from what exactly? The 2019 GF loss? Losses in general? Wighton leaving?
Losses in general.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Doesn't build great culture if your leader is kicking stones after a loss for a week

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

-TW- wrote: April 27, 2024, 10:36 pm Doesn't build great culture if your leader is kicking stones after a loss for a week

I’d say our culture and what Ricky has built is one of the clubs greatest strengths.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Who are the brumbies ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Hopefully they don't know': Ricky Stuart prefers to fly under radar in milestone moment

Ricky Stuart would prefer nobody knew he was taking charge of his 500th NRL game - especially his Raiders players.

"Hopefully they don't know," he said. "That's more important to me - celebrating their milestones and celebrating what the players' achievements are. I'm very privileged. I feel very honoured and privileged, especially being at the club I started at. But I'd much prefer to keep it focused on the main thing on Sunday. And that's winning.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If he hadn't been suspended for one match for the WGD comments he would have had his 500th coaching anniversary last week and the resultant flogging is what is expected at the Raiders milestone matches. Now that is already out of the way, hopefully this week we can put in a performance worthy of a significant coaching milestone event.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

WGD = weapons of gut destruction?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

RedRaider wrote:If he hadn't been suspended for one match for the WGD comments he would have had his 500th coaching anniversary last week and the resultant flogging is what is expected at the Raiders milestone matches. Now that is already out of the way, hopefully this week we can put in a performance worthy of a significant coaching milestone event.
Should've worn the Anzac Jersey last week too!

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Anyone expecting Woolford to get a late call up? #smokescreen
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

No
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: April 27, 2024, 7:34 pm

I’d rather our players not be brain dead the night before a big game
:lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.