Sea Eagles 13+
67%

Total votes: 21

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Raider47 »

We're at that point of bad Ricky years where he starts to dig his heels in and make those mind boggling decisions. Reminds me of 2021 when the wheels starting coming around Tapine missus gate and Hodgo's captaincy resignation.

1) Hoppa at FB. I understand you have to manage the workload of an 18 year old. 100%. However the boy has had 3 games and has a bye coming up. Not to mention Rapa is likely back the weel after the bye. Plenty of time to go back to Cup/rest. This especially considering it was only one week ago, ourselves and Ricky himself, said we'd be sticking it out with him. This just smells of the coach looking to get his favourite somehow back in the team.

2) I'm fine with EW back. With Guler back. With Cotric back over Schiller.

3) How can every single fan in the nrl see Levi and Starling as the worst 9/14 duo in the comp, with the stats to back it up, yet our coach is sticking with a tried and tested failed pairing? It just boggles my mind. Woolford is average, yet he is significantly better than those two. Disgusting calls.

4) And my big point. How tf did we get to this point where we have a bog average winger as our fullback, an unproven fullback as our halfback and the worst number 9 in the comp as our hooker? What sad days 😢
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've also never heard of a player "not wanting" to play fullback in the modern era. Hey maybe it is Savage's prerogative and he asked for it, if so then that's just weak I'm sorry. If it's Stuart then it's poor coaching. Either way it's a bit demoralising

Also Chevy played two games, not three
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2024, 6:13 pm I've also never heard of a player "not wanting" to play fullback in the modern era. Hey maybe it is Savage's prerogative and he asked for it, if so then that's just weak I'm sorry. If it's Stuart then it's poor coaching. Either way it's a bit demoralising

Also Chevy played two games, not three
Titans, Broncos, Sharks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Raider47 wrote: April 30, 2024, 6:22 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2024, 6:13 pm I've also never heard of a player "not wanting" to play fullback in the modern era. Hey maybe it is Savage's prerogative and he asked for it, if so then that's just weak I'm sorry. If it's Stuart then it's poor coaching. Either way it's a bit demoralising

Also Chevy played two games, not tuhree
Titans, Broncos, Sharks.
Oh oops. "People incorrectly correcting other people" :cry:
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2024, 5:57 pm From what I can gather, there are a lot of complaints about the "team" that has been selected, but what it actually boils down to is

9. Levi

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
9.Levi
14. Starling

It all boils down to this. Its worse than 9.Buttriss 14. Wadell
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2024, 5:57 pm From what I can gather, there are a lot of complaints about the "team" that has been selected, but what it actually boils down to is

9. Levi

And Starling who offers nothing at 14. Our two highest paid hookers aren't hookers. They don't have the skill set or the apparent footy smarts for the role. Levi is the better of the two and may offer something off the bench, but given Ricky's use of a bench hooker, I doubt it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LIVE BLOG: Daly Cherry-Evans seeks downgrade on dangerous throw charge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/30/liv ... judiciary/
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Mr Squiggle wrote: April 30, 2024, 6:43 pm

9. Levi

And Starling who offers nothing at 14. Our two highest paid hookers aren't hookers. They don't have the skill set or the apparent footy smarts for the role. Levi is the better of the two and may offer something off the bench, but given Ricky's use of a bench hooker, I doubt it.
I think a Starling Woolford rotation is better than a Levi Starling one.

But the bigger picture is we need a damn good 9.

None of them are convincing
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

i thought DCE accepted the ban?
greeneyed
Don Furner

2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by greeneyed »

Crusader wrote:i thought DCE accepted the ban?
He pleaded guilty but wants a downgrade. So he isn’t banned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well that's disappointing
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Well, there’s certainly been an overreaction in here to what is a pretty understandable team list.

Hoppa at fullback, that’s fine. Stewart needs a rest and Rapana’s still injured. They did it in the trials and he played well so it’s not completely out of left field.

He may not be exciting and speedy but Hopoate is a solid first grader. People here acting like he’s the second coming of Damon Booby.

Cotric back, also fine. He’s been playing well in NSW Cup and Schiller is leaving at the end of the year. No brainer.

Whitehead back, we all knew it would happen. And at this stage, with the lack of experience all over the park, I don’t mind it. An experienced, old head will help. With Hosking out, it’s not like our edge forwards have been playing the house down - in fact Hudson should be thanking his lucky stars he’s still in first grade, because he’s had a dreadful start to the year.

Guler back, again fine. We know he’s next man up and at least Mooney is still there, which I’m very happy with.

So that just leaves Levi and Starling. Levi had a shocker last week, no doubt about it. Got hooked and deservedly so. But - and I know this is tantamount to blasphemy around here - he hasn’t been terrible this year as a whole. Ricky almost always gives players a chance to bounce back, and I think that’s what has happened here. It’s not like Woolford is banging the door down.

Starling I don’t like it, but if we’re going bench hooker he’s probably a more dynamic choice than Woolford.

So overall I’m actually pretty happy with this team, given the circumstances.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Big fan of the changes, expect I'd like one more. Levi or Starling need to go. Thier performances have been pathetic.

I think we need some more senior voices out there. The last 2 weeks have been very disappointing. Hudson goes over against the Broncos and spills it over the line. Levi drops it with the line open against the Sharks. Schiller, a number of missed opportunities/uncapitalised opportunities. After these moments we completely dropped our bundle which demonstrates real inexperience.

We witnessed how dominant the Sharks back 5 were on the weekend. Hoppa gives us a lot better punch, his post contact is very good. I was calling for his inclusion last week over Schiller and think he would have helped stem the flow.

I don't expect us to beat Manly but we will be more competitive than last week.
Ben & Sev Love Milk
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

skeepe wrote: April 30, 2024, 7:07 pm Well, there’s certainly been an overreaction in here to what is a pretty understandable team list.

Hoppa at fullback, that’s fine. Stewart needs a rest and Rapana’s still injured. They did it in the trials and he played well so it’s not completely out of left field.

He may not be exciting and speedy but Hopoate is a solid first grader. People here acting like he’s the second coming of Damon Booby.

Cotric back, also fine. He’s been playing well in NSW Cup and Schiller is leaving at the end of the year. No brainer.

Whitehead back, we all knew it would happen. And at this stage, with the lack of experience all over the park, I don’t mind it. An experienced, old head will help. With Hosking out, it’s not like our edge forwards have been playing the house down - in fact Hudson should be thanking his lucky stars he’s still in first grade, because he’s had a dreadful start to the year.

Guler back, again fine. We know he’s next man up and at least Mooney is still there, which I’m very happy with.

So that just leaves Levi and Starling. Levi had a shocker last week, no doubt about it. Got hooked and deservedly so. But - and I know this is tantamount to blasphemy around here - he hasn’t been terrible this year as a whole. Ricky almost always gives players a chance to bounce back, and I think that’s what has happened here. It’s not like Woolford is banging the door down.

Starling I don’t like it, but if we’re going bench hooker he’s probably a more dynamic choice than Woolford.

So overall I’m actually pretty happy with this team, given the circumstances.
This all makes a fair bit of sense to me , I’m not a Levi fan but it’s also very hard to change your no 9 with a 5 day turn around with a rookie halves pairing. I’d really love to see Chevy back after the bye though with Rapa on the wing for Cotric.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

In the modern game, no position is more important than the hooker IMHO. And sadly, it's probably our weakest position on the field. We carried it for the first few rounds but it's going to be brutally exploited against the better sides, and a young spine finding their way around this is not helping matters.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2024, 4:46 pm
Green Machine wrote:What a lacklustre lineup. At least when we lose it’s good to see Chevy play.
Perhaps, but a 0-40 scoreline also reflected a lackluster performance from a team that the vast majority of the forum would have been itching to see play at the start of the season.

Haha, well said. It's funny how much I've heard about some players in our team on the weekend and how good they'll be with the opportunities. Well, they have had opportunities and a 40-0 flogging at home tells me they aren't up to it right now.

Getting pummelled isn't good for anyone's development.

The changes this week are sensible and logical.

The other thing is, they are necessary due to injuries. We've got a fair chunk of our cap on the sidelines right now.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 30, 2024, 7:21 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2024, 4:46 pm
Green Machine wrote:What a lacklustre lineup. At least when we lose it’s good to see Chevy play.
Perhaps, but a 0-40 scoreline also reflected a lackluster performance from a team that the vast majority of the forum would have been itching to see play at the start of the season.

Haha, well said. It's funny how much I've heard about some players in our team on the weekend and how good they'll be with the opportunities. Well, they have had opportunities and a 40-0 flogging at home tells me they aren't up to it right now.

Getting pummelled isn't good for anyone's development.

The changes this week are sensible and logical.

The other thing is, they are necessary due to injuries. We've got a fair chunk of our cap on the sidelines right now.
I don't mind the changes but the worst players were senior players. By far.
Last edited by NoMan on April 30, 2024, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

I am happy to see the back of Schiller. There's no point slogging through his defensive growing pains if we aren't going to have him long enough to see him become a complete player.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How much cap do we really have on sidelines due to injury? Fogarty and Rapana are not highly paid players in either position. They're just critically important to us this season. Hosking is not on a big deal. Horsburgh is on less than Papa or Tapine, maybe even Young.
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

#LeaveoutLevi
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raoul Duke wrote: April 30, 2024, 7:30 pm I am happy to see the back of Schiller. There's no point slogging through his defensive growing pains if we aren't going to have him long enough to see him become a complete player.
Agreed. I think on the balance of things he's still probably a better player than either Hoppa or Cotric but a big part of why i was so keen on him over them was he had potential to be much more... but it wont be for us so im fine moving on and letting his defence become the knights problem. I am hopeful at some stage this season we get a look at Asomua
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cherry-Evans successful in downgrade, free to play

Sea Eagles captain Daly Cherry-Evans has been successful in having his charge downgrade to a grade one offence at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

He is now free to play in Manly’s match against Canberra this Friday night and will receive a $750 fine for the grade one offence.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/04/30/liv ... judiciary/

DCE cleared, a week after the Sharks exposed our disastrous middle defence and relentlessly targeted the weak link, we get arguably the best middle third combination in the game... DCE and Turbo will be looking at the Sharks game and licking their chops.
Last edited by Botman on April 30, 2024, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

DCE free to play
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oooooohhhhhhh we gonna get pasted.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

DCE plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just confirming guys, because it wasn't clear already... is DCE playing?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:Just confirming guys, because it wasn't clear already... is DCE playing?
I'm hearing that he was cleared. Undisclosed source.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I just knew DCE would get off. It is classic NRL.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

rolhai wrote: April 30, 2024, 7:43 pm #LeaveoutLevi
#GiveRickTheFlick
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The line has changed to 13.5 points start for Canberra. The Sea Eagles now $1.21 favourites, a Raiders win at $4.45.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I really don't care about the changes in the backs, Chevy rested yes.
The only change for this team that will turn around our season is Woolford in for Levi.
ITS.THAT.SIMPLE.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The team you pick when you want to lose 20 - 0 rather than 50 - 20.

Either way.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed. A lot of people have said similar things... Woodgers, CM etc
But yeah this very much feels like a team picked that has no chance of winning but might lose with respect rather than a team picked to try and win and risk another very bad result

Im not convinced that bet will pay off. If Manly play anything close to their best, this could be every bit as ugly as last week or worse. Turbo hasnt had that game yet this year.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Btw what a dumb call to rest Chevy for this week, when there’s a bye coming up next week.

Show me an 18 year old that doesn’t want to play as much footy as he possibly can while he’s young and keen. He made his FG debut a few weeks ago, is probably still riding on a high.

Just pick him somewhere - he gets a good rest next week anyway.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Rickmando wrote: April 30, 2024, 8:34 pm Btw what a dumb call to rest Chevy for this week, when there’s a bye coming up next week.

Show me an 18 year old that doesn’t want to play as much footy as he possibly can while he’s young and keen. He made his FG debut a few weeks ago, is probably still riding on a high.

Just pick him somewhere - he gets a good rest next week anyway.
If he had been killing it, sure. Keep him there. But he hasn’t been and has got hammered. It’s the right call.