2012 Under 20s State of Origin: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Edrick Lee and Shannon Boyd named in Under 20s State of Origin teams

Raider Edrick Lee has been selected at centre for Queensland in the inaugural Toyota U/20's State of Origin clash

From Bachelor of Science, Business and Education degrees to apprentice builders, plumbers and electricians, the New South Wales and Queensland teams named today for the inaugural Toyota Under 20’s State of Origin feature players from a wide and varied range of study and work backgrounds.

NSWRL Chairman, Mr John Chalk, and QRL Chief Executive Officer, Mr Robert Moore, today announced the teams in Sydney and Brisbane respectively ahead of their clash at Penrith’s Centrebet Stadium on Saturday (April 21).

They will be coached by former Origin greats and now Melbourne Storm coaching colleagues, Dean Pay (NSW) and Kevin Walters (QLD).

All players selected have played in the Toyota Cup, while the GIO NSW team includes six players with NRL experience – Cheyse Blair (Eels), Jacob Miller (Wests Tigers), Harry Siejka (Panthers), Matt Groat (Wests Tigers), Boyd Cordner (Roosters) and Alex McKinnon (Knights).

More importantly, in line with the “No, work, no study, no play” policy of the Toyota Cup, eight of the players selected for the Under 20s Origin are studying at university; five are doing apprenticeships; four are in traineeships; 12 are doing Certificate III/ Diplomas; and seven are in general employment.

NRL Welfare and Education Manager, Mr Paul Heptonstall, said: “The most pleasing aspect about the players selected is that they have embraced the game’s work and study philosophy which has only complemented their development as players.”

Toyota Regional Manager – Eastern Region, Mr Tony Pepper, said: “Toyota is very excited to be involved with the inaugural Under 20s’s State of Origin event.

“We have been involved with the Toyota Cup since its inception and we see this as a natural progression from that very successful program.”

Toyota will donate an education grant to the Man of the Match on Saturday night.

The 2012 Queensland Under 20’s State of Origin team is:
Position

Fullback
Lachlan Maranta - Brisbane Broncos / Norths Devils - Bachelor of Communication Griffith University

Wing
Hymel Hunt - Gold Coast Titans - Bachelor of Business Griffith University
Aaron Whitchurch - Brisbane Broncos / Redcliffe Dolphins - Certificate 4 in Fitness

Centre
Tautau Moga - Sydney Roosters - Certificate 4 in Youth Work
Edrick Lee - Canberra Raiders - Certificate 3 in Sport and Rec; Car Detailer

Five-eighth
Kurt Mann - Newcastle Knights - Apprentice Electrician

Halfback
Benjamin Hampton - Melbourne Storm - Cert 3 in Youth Work Business Admin Traineeship

Prop
Korbin Sims - Newcastle Knights - Apprentice Builder
Dylan Napa - Sydney Roosters - Scaffolder

Hooker
Alex Elisala - North Queensland Cowboys - Storeman

Second row
Caleb Timu - Brisbane Broncos - Bachelor of Education – Griffith University
Mitchell Frei - Brisbane Broncos/ Norths Devils - Labourer

Lock
Chris Grevsmuhl - North Queensland Cowboys - Sport and Recreation Traineeship

Interchange:
Benn Malley - Brisbane Broncos - Bachelor of Education – QUT
Corey Oates - Brisbane Broncos - Electrician Assistant
Brandon Tago - Sydney Roosters - Certificate 3 in Sport and Recreation
Moses Mbye - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Cert 3 in Community Recreation and Primary School Teacher’s Aide

18th man:
Kirisome Auva'a - Melbourne Storm - Customer Service with Esanda Finance

Coach: Kevin Walters (Melbourne Storm)

The 2012 GIO NSW Under 20’s State of Origin team is:

Fullback
Evander Cummins - St George Illawarra Dragons - Community Development Traineeship – Dragons

Wing
Young Tonumaipea - Melbourne Storm - Diploma Sports Development; La Mirage Reception Centre Manager
Chanel Mata’Utia - Newcastle Knights - Labourer

Centre
Cheyse Blair - Parramatta Eels - Certificate 4 in Fitness
Ed Murphy - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Bachelor of Science (Agriculture) Sydney Uni

Five-eighth
Harry Siejka - Penrith Panthers - Certificate 3 in Fitness

Halfback
Jacob Miller - Wests Tigers - Certificate 4 in Fitness

Prop
Matt Groat - Wests Tigers - Certificate 4 in Fitness
Kane Evans - Sydney Roosters - Diploma of Management

Hooker
Michael Lichaa - Cronulla Sharks - Apprentice Carpenter

Second row
Alex McKinnon - Newcastle Knights - Bachelor of Construction Management, Newcastle Uni
Boyd Cordner - Sydney Roosters - Certificate 4 in Building Construction

Lock
Vaipuna Tia Kilifi - Penrith Panthers - Primary School Teacher’s Aide – Werrington Public School

Interchange:
Paul Carter - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Bachelor of Human Movement, ACPE
Jack Stockwell - St George Illawarra Dragons/ Cutters - Bachelor of Exercise Science, University of Wollongong
David Klemmer - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Apprentice Horticulturist, Belmore Sports Ground
Shannon Boyd - Canberra Raiders - Business Admin Traineeship

18th Man:
Lachlan Burr - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Apprentice Carpenter

Coach: Dean Pay (Melbourne Storm)

General Details
The teams will assemble at the Chifley Penrith Panthers at 4pm on Wednesday, April 18, for medicals and their induction.

Naming Right Sponsor:
Toyota

Other Major Sponsors:
National Anti-Tobacco Campaign (back of jersey)
GIO (NSW); NOVA FM (Queensland)

Match Details: Date: Saturday, April 21 Venue: Centrebet Stadium, Penrith Kick-off Time: 7:30pm

Tickets:
FREE entry for 2012 NRL Club Members or any Junior Pass Holders (note Junior Pass must be activated prior to 5pm Wednesday April 18)

Available through ProTicket

Prices: $10 (Adults); $5 (Juniors – 4-15yrs); $25 (Family) - This is a General Admission event

Online: http://www.proticket.com.au
Phone: 1300 12 10 12
Outlet: ProTicket Outlets

http://www.nrl.com/toyota-u/20s-origin- ... fault.aspx
Last edited by david231280 on April 16, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Re: Lee and Boyd make Under 20's State of Origin sides

Post by edwahu »

Is Wighton fit? Pretty unlucky to miss out to someone who hasnt played firsts, and after he killed it in the under 18s origin last year.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

edwahu wrote:Is Wighton fit? Pretty unlucky to miss out to someone who hasnt played firsts, and after he killed it in the under 18s origin last year.
Playing on the wing in NRL probably didn't help his chances tbh. Wasn't he the captain of the NSW U18s? He definately deserves to be there, would easily fit in at wing, five-eigth, halfback or centre.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

From a selfish point of view I'm happy he's not playing. I do however feel sorry for him
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:Is Wighton fit? Pretty unlucky to miss out to someone who hasnt played firsts, and after he killed it in the under 18s origin last year.
Players who have played NRL this year are not eligible.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Re: 2012 Under 20s State of Origin: New South Wales V Queens

Post by Decorous Muse »

^Then explain Matt Groat, Cheyse Blair, Jacob Miller, Alex McKinnon, Boyd Cordner etc?
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

greeneyed wrote:
How come Cheyse Blair, Alex McKinnon, Matt Groat and Boyd Cordner have been selected, they have played NRL all year, seems like a Sydney favorites tag for me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting, but that was my understanding.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Well done Big Edrick - first of many representative games.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

im shocked we didnt get more in, especially wrighton :shock:
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitch Cornish would have been close, you would have thought.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I would love to see this match as a straight under 20s including NRL players. Let's showcase the best of the best. If you are already playing NRL you shouldn't miss out. This would mean Wighton would play and someone like Papalii (if he wasn't NZ) could also play.

I could see this concept being expanded to include NZ at some stage.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay53 wrote:I would love to see this match as a straight under 20s including NRL players. Let's showcase the best of the best. If you are already playing NRL you shouldn't miss out. This would mean Wighton would play and someone like Papalii (if he wasn't NZ) could also play.

I could see this concept being expanded to include NZ at some stage.
They can play. Well at least NSW has picked a stack of them.
JoshTheNewcastleFan
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Uate, Mason, Gagai and Jeremy Smith

Post by JoshTheNewcastleFan »

greeneyed wrote:
Any player that turns 20 this year is eligible, hence all the first-graders.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

This Jacob Miller guy from the Tigers would want to be pretty good after what I've seen of Cornish (on the tv). I suppose he has had a first grade start but the bits I glimpsed weren't amazing. Ah well. And Wighton could easily be anywhere from 1-5.

On the usual calibration scale, then I guess Qld have one Raiders starter so I'll be going for them. Sorry Shannon.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cornish is only 19, I am pretty sure that he will be there next year.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm gobsmacked that Wighton isn't there.

Not Raiders bias at all either because he's deadset made Cheyse Blair look like a gimp in comparison.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Young Raiders in Origin clash

Two Canberra Toyota Cup players have been selected for the inaugural under-20 State of Origin clash at Penrith on Saturday afternoon. Edrick Lee has been picked in the centres for Queensland, while prop Shannon Boyd will play off the bench for NSW as the teams compete for the Darren Lockyer Shield. Raiders under-20s coach Andrew Dunemann has also been given a nod as assistant coach of the Maroons, while half Mitch Cornish narrowly missed selection for the Blues. Cornish will go into the NSW camp as "19th man".

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z1sEsbtR7J
JRC
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ones who haven't been sacked

Post by JRC »

To answer the tweeps who have asked, I can confirm that both Jack Wighton and Nathan Green were unavailable for NSW #U20Origin due to injury

NSWRL twitter account.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lee and Boyd to square off in the U20s State of Origin

Canberra Raiders Toyota Cup team mates Edrick Lee and Shannon Boyd will battle it out for their respective states when the two rising stars face each other in the Under 20s State of Origin clash this Saturday (April 21) at Penrith’s Centrebet Stadium.

Lee will line up in the centres for Queensland whilst the blockbusting Shannon Boyd will take his place on the bench for New South Wales after NSWRL Chairman, Mr John Chalk and QRL Chief Executive Officer, Mr Robert Moore, today announced the teams in Sydney and Brisbane respectively.

NSW will be coached by former Origin great Dean Pay whilst QLD will be coached by another former Origin and Raiders great Kevin Walters. Both former stars are interestingly now Melbourne Storm coaching colleagues.

The Raiders Toyota Cup side is currently placed fourth in the competition due to for and against points differential and are widely regarded as one of the most dangerous and highly talented teams in the competition.

Boyd and Lee are definitely two of the reasons behind the side’s early success in 2012. Boyd’s brutal defence and attack and Lee’s incisive running game and ability to set up his outside support players are key features of the young Raiders’ game plan. Coach Andrew Dunemann believes their selection is a just reward for their efforts so far this season.

“Both of those boys spent parts of the pre-season training with the NRL squad and their performances so far this year have been outstanding,” said Dunemann.

“Edrick is one of the best attacking centres in the competition and Shannon attracts plenty of attention whilst carrying the ball and certainly hurts opposition ball runners in defence.”

“I’m really pleased with both players having been selected for their respective states. It’s a well deserved reward for their efforts so far for the Raiders and they won’t let anybody down.”

Boyd and Lee are a strong advertisement for the Toyota Cup both on and off the field with the talented duo most definitely abiding by the “No, work, no study, no play” policy.

Boyd is currently undertaking a Business Administration Traineeship whilst Lee is studying a Certificate 3 in Sport and Recreation at the same time as working as a car detailer.

“The most pleasing aspect about the players selected is that they have embraced the game’s work and study philosophy which has only complemented their development as players,” said NRL Welfare and Education Manager, Mr Paul Heptonstall.

Raiders media

http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... igin/53453
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Inaugural Toyota U/20's State of Origin match this Saturday - free entry!

This weekend sees the inaugural Toyota Under 20`s match at Centrebet Stadium. For this match, the Panthers and NRL have agreed to permit all club members entry free of charge at Centrebet Stadium.

All members need to do is simply present their 2012 Membership card at the gate and PRO Ticket staff will usher members through to ensure ease of entry for all members. Gates open at 3.15pm, with the Under 20's State of Origin match kicking off at 7.30pm.

This is a wonderful opportunity to watch our young guns battle it out in State of Origin. This rising crop of players are certainly ones to watch this season and the match will no doubt be full of exciting football, as NSW and QLD battle it out for the Darren Lockyer Shield.

Raiders media
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

ok that answers the question about Wighton and obviously Papalii is now NZ so neither are included when I imagine they would have been considered walk up starts.

Miller has played quite a few games for Wests Tigers first grade so I don't think there is any surprise that he got the gig over Cornish.

As stated Cornish is only 19 so will be eligible again next year.

I think this match is a terrific concept.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Apparently Cornish is going to the camp as 19th man

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1x40o.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is it on Fox or 9?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Fox are showing it live
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cornish is now 18th man, according to the Raiders facebook.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Is it being televised at all?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On Fox Sports live.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Canberra Milk wrote:Is it being televised at all?
On Fox Sports live at 7:30 on Saturday I think.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Boyd makes State of Origin side

Cowra rugby league product Shannon Boyd has been named in the inaugural NSW Under-20 State of Origin side.

The 123kg former Magpie and member of the Canberra Raiders National Youth Competition (Toyota Cup) side was selected on the back of strong performances in the first six rounds of the season.

“I’m stoked to be in the team,” he said.

“I was in the under 18 team in 2010 with some of the guys and it will be good to catch up with them as well as meet a few new players.

“It’s a stepping stone to making it into the NRL and it gives you an opportunity to see how you are going against the best players in the competition.

“It should be a physical game. They [Queensland] have good forwards and many strong players, so it should be good.”

Boyd, a front rower who is undertaking a business administration traineeship in Canberra, will take his position on the interchange bench in the NSW side which boasts six players with NRL experience- Cheyse Blair, Jacob Miller, Harry Siejka, Matt Groat, Boyd Cordner and Alex McKinnon.

The side will be coached by former Origin player and Melbourne Storm assistant Dean Pay.

http://www.cowraguardian.com.au/news/lo ... 27998.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW V Queensland U20s Origin

Saturday, April 21, 2012
Kick-Off 7:30pm at Centrebet Stadium
Referee: David Munro

Last Time They Met
This is the first time these two sides have met in an Origin game.

Team News and Late Mail
Queensland have selected their team without any NRL experience but a number of players are on the cusp of their first grade debuts. NSW have selected six players with NRL experience. It is worth noting however, that three Queensland players - Mitchell Frei, Aaron Whitchurch and Lachlan Maranta - have been mixing it with the men in the Intrust Super Cup. Queensland has suffered a blow though with Korbin Sims (pictured) ruled out with injury. Sims wore the Queensland colours with the Under 18 side in 2010.

NSW
E Cummins, Y Tonumaipea, C Blair, E Murphy, C Mata’utia, H Seijka, J Miller, M Groat, M Lichaa, K Evans, A McKinnon, B Cordner, V Tia-Kilifi.
Bench: P Carter, J Stockwell, D Klemmer, S Boyd, L Burr. Coach: D Pay.

QLD
L Maranta, H Hunt, T Moga, E Lee, A Whitchurch, K Mann, B Hampton, B Tago A Elisala, D Napa, C Timu, C Grevsmuhl, M Frei.
Bench: B Malley, C Oates, M Mbye, K Auva’a, T Peeters. Coach: K Walters.

NSW Bottom Line

The first ever Under 20 State of Origin game is worth catching this Saturday due to the high quality talent that will be on display.

NSW will send six NRL players into battle against the Queenslanders, as the concept looks to tap into the storied Origin tradition.

Boyd Cordner from the Sydney Roosters, Alex McKinnon from the Newcastle Knights and Matt Groat from the Wests Tigers headline the NRL talent lining up for the Blues, while Penrith’s Harry Seijka and the Tigers’ Jacob Miller are the first choice halves.

Parramatta’s Cheyse Blair has been selected in the centres alongside Canterbury’s Ed Murphy.

The halves combination looms as the key for the Blues - as both the Panthers and Tigers’ form has been reflective of how well Seijka and Miller have been playing this season.

Also keep an eye out for young Penrith backrower Vaipuna Tia-Kilifi and St George Illawarra fullback Evander Cummins - both have the kind of skills that could break the game open for the Blues.

Queensland Bottom Line

The Queenslanders will be led by seven Brisbane Broncos in the inaugural game (Lachlan Maranta, Aaron Whitchurch, Caleb Timu, Mitchell Frei, Benn Malley, Corey Oates and Travis Peeters) and the other two Queensland teams are represented by Hymel Hunt from the Gold Coast Titans and Alex Elisala and Chris Grevsmuhl from the North Queensland Cowboys.

Exciting NRL centre prospect Tautau Moga headlines three Sydney Roosters (with Dylan Napa and Brandon Tago) in the Queensland team, while Edrick Lee from the Canberra Raiders and Benjamin Hampton from Melbourne Storm have had great starts to their NYC campaigns.

With the game being played in Penrith and no NRL action this weekend why not get along and support the Blues or Maroons in the Origin match.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Under-20 mates have Origin date

A week of friendly banter and sledging between Canberra Raiders teammates will be on display in tonight's inaugural under-20s State of Origin clash in Penrith. Dynamic centre Edrick Lee will make his representative debut in any age group for Queensland, while hard-hitting prop Shannon Boyd will be used as an impact player off the bench for NSW. Rather than deliberately avoid the middle of the park and the 123kg Boyd, Lee is relishing the prospect of running headfirst into the Cowra product.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1xcyu.html
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Here we go with the coverage of tonight's U20s State of Origin! Can't wait to see how our Raiders go!
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

The teams will be playing for the Darren Lockyer Shield tonight, Ricky Stuart and Mal Meninga are present.

And Shannon Boyd will be in the starting team in a late change for NSW.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Boyd is starting