The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

The Motorsport Thread

Post by Sossman »

Seems as though there are quite a few Motorsport fans on here. To keep our discussions out of other threads I thought I'd start this dedicated threat for those of us who appreciate the finer things of International sport.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Re: The Formula 1 / MotoGP / WRC Thread

Post by Michael »

Motor sport is just uber, uber gay - I'm sorry Soss.
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

I can see where you're coming from. It's an acquired taste I think. The same uncles that got me into the Raiders when I was like, 3 or 4, got me onto Motorsports as well. I've always been a massive F1 fan.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

My old man got me hooked on Motor Sport as he use to be a Flaggie at Warwick Farm, Bathurst and Oran Park in the 60's and 70's.

I'm mainly a F1 fan but don't mind watching the V8. I got for Webber in F1 (as he is a Canberra boy).

As for V8 i'm not a ford or a holden man but just enjoy wacthing (I LOVED the 92 race as their was Carnage and Jim Richards famous words, for those who don't know what i'm on about, look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ATwXUtxPA)

As for the bike well I use to follow it in the days when their was Wayne Rainey, Kevin Swa... (US Rider), Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan. The good old days of bikes.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Dont know how to put the pics up, but saw this today

http://franksemails.com/pics/latest_lambo/

Pretty sweet ride ....
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Sossman
David Furner

Post by Sossman »

Reventon.... nice.

Only 20 were made. Instead of normal dials it has a HUD like a fighter jet. A bit wanky but cool nonetheless. You wouldn't say no.

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Sossman wrote:Reventon.... nice.

Only 20 were made. Instead of normal dials it has a HUD like a fighter jet. A bit wanky but cool nonetheless. You wouldn't say no.
Wouldn't say no, and prob would be too scared to drive it.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

why dont they have the privateers at bathurst anymore...

the carnage of people who cant drive was what made that sunday enjoyable to watch
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

timmay.08 wrote:why dont they have the privateers at bathurst anymore...

the carnage of people who cant drive was what made that sunday enjoyable to watch
I think it was due to the inexperience of some of the Privateers that they moved them from Bathurst. I remember hearing at one stage that 60% of the drivers from one year never raced at Bathurst. So they decided to bring in the rule that you must have raced a minimum amount in a nationally recognised series or something like that.
Then they decided to kick out the Privateers and put them in their own series. I think they still race, but in their own class.

I love motor racing, raced in the junior classes at Moruya and Candelo. For a while I was the youngest race car driver in the area to flip a race car.
F1 - I support Webber and the Red Bull team (Even if webber left, I'd still support them)
MotoGP - Dont really follow
WRC - Chris Atkinson, he's a Bega boy so I have to follow him lol.

I also use to follow Champcars back in the Zanardi days. Loved watching him drive. Dont mind watching IRL every now and then, I like the Chip Ganassi outfit
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

Strong F1 fan. I suffered greatly during the early 00's when ferrari and the cheating German thought they were the ****, but since he's gone its been great to watch F1 again.

Mclaren man all the way!!!!!!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Webbo has got his Red Bull on the front row of the grid at Silverstone. :D

Brilliant stuff!
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Lime Green wrote:Webbo has got his Red Bull on the front row of the grid at Silverstone. :D

Brilliant stuff!
and then spun out in lap 1 :lol:
whatta git...
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Raider_69 wrote:
Lime Green wrote:Webbo has got his Red Bull on the front row of the grid at Silverstone. :D

Brilliant stuff!
whatta git...
:cry:

Poor Mark.
Karne
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Karne »

Lime Green wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
whatta git...

Poor Mark.
FYI, not his fault. Upshift problem with the gearbox caused loss of traction and therefore, spinny.

Yay for Atko coming third at Thousand Lakes!!!!! :cmon :cmon :cmon

My dad has a bet at work on who'll get their maiden win first - Webber or Atkinson. ATM I think the smart money might be Atko, although the way that new Subaru is performing... :nooo
Raiders for the Premiership! Bugger in a couple of years, this year!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Karne wrote:
Lime Green wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
whatta git...

Poor Mark.
FYI, not his fault. Upshift problem with the gearbox caused loss of traction and therefore, spinny.

Yay for Atko coming third at Thousand Lakes!!!!! :cmon :cmon :cmon

My dad has a bet at work on who'll get their maiden win first - Webber or Atkinson. ATM I think the smart money might be Atko, although the way that new Subaru is performing... :nooo
I've got a better chance of racing an F1 car to victory then Webber of Atkinson do.
raider_jim
Simon Woolford

Post by raider_jim »

webber 3rd for tonights gp i like webber but he has had some bad luck
BLEEDS GREEN
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

raider_jim wrote:webber 3rd for tonights gp i like webber but he has had some bad luck
Im starting to question Webo's "bad luck" surely no one can be so unlucky for so many different teams. I would like to see Will Power (the coolest name in racing) have a crack at F1... I think he test-drove for Minardi a few years back.

Also, how awesome was it that Red Bull's sister car, the rebadged Minardi, notched their 1st win before Red Bull
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

bradtheboywonder wrote:
raider_jim wrote:webber 3rd for tonights gp i like webber but he has had some bad luck
Im starting to question Webo's "bad luck" surely no one can be so unlucky for so many different teams. I would like to see Will Power (the coolest name in racing) have a crack at F1... I think he test-drove for Minardi a few years back.

Also, how awesome was it that Red Bull's sister car, the rebadged Minardi, notched their 1st win before Red Bull
Ive been watching F1 for 12 years and that race defied logic!!! i thought torro rosso would lead for 2 maybe 3 laps, not bloody win the whole thing. The last 2 years have been so great for F1 trackwise. 7 different winners this year already!!!!

wonderful stuff!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Karne wrote:
Lime Green wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
whatta git...

Poor Mark.
thats the story of his career

i laugh now since he left williams that no name rosberg fella has beaten him just about every race and made some name of himself

that could of been mark...and now i hear his seat is under threat from the sebastian vettel of toro rosso

maybe its the beginning of the end?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

a begining that never really started
mark webber is the answer to a question no one in australia asked.

he's a complete balls up. Race after race after race, mechanical failures... when does it stop being the car and start being the drive... for mine it was 2 years ago
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

timmay.08 wrote:
Karne wrote:
Lime Green wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
whatta git...

Poor Mark.
thats the story of his career

i laugh now since he left williams that no name rosberg fella has beaten him just about every race and made some name of himself

that could of been mark...and now i hear his seat is under threat from the sebastian vettel of toro rosso

maybe its the beginning of the end?
Nah he's safe at Red Bull, Vettel is replacing Coulthard who is retiring at the end of the year... Maybe Vettel should stay at Toro Rosso, their form has been brilliant this year

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Was going to start a new topic, but I'll lay it out here... What are people's opinions on the F1 Customer Car debate? After hearing Frank Williams whinge about Toro Rosso winning in a Customer Car, do you think they should be allowed?

I'm all for it, I think it's a great way for new teams to join the comp. They won't be a top tier team straight away, but they could build up the middle tier. It has potential to add more winners to the fray, and make the racing closer.

I don't get Frank's arguement... I mean, his 1st F1 car was a Customer car (cant remember the name) and he's using Customer Engines now... he should be the last to whinge

Nickman's love of NSW
Grant
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Miller

Post by Grant »

I agree with the Customer Car deal also, would love to see new teams. I would like to also see new manufacturer's in the Championship... rather than having 3 or 4 cars with the same engines, why don't they try looking for other car companies?
I think the advantage of the F1 cars going from V10 to V8 means they have a better chance of bringing in new engine companies. I never understood why Audi has never tried their hand at F1. They seem to dominate everything they put their hands on. F1 would be the cream of the crop for them.
Bring in more engines I say. Porsche, Lambo, hell even Holden... How awesome would a HRT F1 car be
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

NO **** WAY!

Custom cars are what seperate F1 from the rest of the world. under the rules cars have to be built by their teams, it is only through a mear technicality that allows the Red bull/toro roso deal to be legal.

F1 should be about a team designing and building their own cars, and in certin cases their own engines as well. any move to custom cars will turn it into somthing that IRL has, and that would be a total joke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

central coast green wrote:NO **** WAY!

Custom cars are what seperate F1 from the rest of the world. under the rules cars have to be built by their teams, it is only through a mear technicality that allows the Red bull/toro roso deal to be legal.

F1 should be about a team designing and building their own cars, and in certin cases their own engines as well. any move to custom cars will turn it into somthing that IRL has, and that would be a total joke.
The racing in the IRL is closer, you see a lot more of one thing that F1 lacks... Overtaking. I think anything that will make the sport more exciting to watch and less predictable is a good thing.

On another note, did anyone else hear that Honda's pulling out if F1

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

bradtheboywonder wrote:
central coast green wrote:NO **** WAY!

The racing in the IRL is closer, you see a lot more of one thing that F1 lacks... Overtaking. I think anything that will make the sport more exciting to watch and less predictable is a good thing.

On another note, did anyone else hear that Honda's pulling out if F1
the only overtaking done in IRL is on a Oval track.

I read about Honda pulling out. it has denied the F1 world, for the time being, of a Piquet-Senna-Rosberg battle.....................has a 80's feel about it dont you think?????
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Green_wif_envy wrote:I agree with the Customer Car deal also, would love to see new teams. I would like to also see new manufacturer's in the Championship... rather than having 3 or 4 cars with the same engines, why don't they try looking for other car companies?
I think the advantage of the F1 cars going from V10 to V8 means they have a better chance of bringing in new engine companies. I never understood why Audi has never tried their hand at F1. They seem to dominate everything they put their hands on. F1 would be the cream of the crop for them.
Bring in more engines I say. Porsche, Lambo, hell even Holden... How awesome would a HRT F1 car be
Funny you should say that, just saw this article recently

Audi to supply Red Bull?

Please God let this turn out to be true! There is talk in the German media of Red Bull racing hooking up with Audi in 2010 as an engine supplier, Gerhard Berger a friend of both the head of Red Bull and VW Audi is also believed to be involved.

The story transpires that Audi will be out of DTM racing at the end of 2007, Opel are pulling out after 2006, and intend to use 2007 as a development year before launching an F1 program in 2008.

Speculation even extends to VW Audi producing a non-Audi “badged” engine and running it with the Torro Rosso squad too develop the unit in a racing environment, before bolting on to the back of a Adrian Newey car as early as 2009 or as late as 2010! A non-badged engine is not entirely unheard of; early *'s Yamaha units were a front for *'s original aborted F1 attempt. Long term engine preparations for F1 entries are standard practice these days. BMW spent all of 1998 and 1999 developing their engine away from F1 before coming in with Williams in 2000 and *'s two years of solid pre-entry testing on chassis and engine started with a V12!

If Audi were to enter the post 2008 world of F1 it would make a lot sense. Firstly, by that time the official FIA series will have settled down with team commitments to the FIA or a break away series would be up and running. Thus, in the coming seasons Audi would be in a perfect position to judge where it should be entering a F1 effort.

Secondly, entering the sport with Red Bull makes sound financial sense. After all, why go down the expensive Toyota build-from-scratch route or the equally expensive top dollar buyout of an existing team (i.e. Honda/BAT or BMW/Sauber) when you can provide a block to a Adrian Newey designed flyer? Further, having rewritten Le Mans history with *'s sports car program (how that must get up the noses of Mercedes and Toyota management) and having succeeded in every category it has ever competed in - rally, touring and sports prototypes - how long can Audi ignore the presence of the other two big German giants in F1?

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just found this on Youtube. Hugh Laurie (House) and Stephen Fry doing a mock F1 Interview... I couldnt stop myself laughing
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc ... re=related

Nickman's love of NSW
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

first race of the season. should be good!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

How good are Brawn going? Bet Honda are kicking themselves for pulling out now.

Have to ask though, would they have been successful you think if they had the Honda powerplant?

Nickman's love of NSW
Priory
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Priory »

It seems that after Webber's first win this season, his bad luck has returned :( Last couple of races have been shockers :doubt:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

and no one could be happier than me
the worst mark webber gets the more likeable a find him :lol:

Welcome back DNF Mark!
Priory
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Priory »

Congrats to both Mark and Casey, good weekend for a motor sport loving aussie :thumbsup
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

DNF Mark let the entire country down with that display over the weekend... for shame
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

F1 and MotoGP are rubbish. :thumbsdown

A1 GP rules. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.