The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:I was at the track today, so you don't get the full story of what's going on. Anyone know why whincup wasn't penalised for an unsafe pit exit making contact with Coulthard?? Bit of confusion around the track about it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
cleared as ok was what I read later, typical 888 2 sets of rules

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There was a couple of spectacular crashes in both MotoGP and Moto 2 overnight..

I believe everybody is ok, the bikes not so much..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:There was a couple of spectacular crashes in both MotoGP and Moto 2 overnight..

yeah saw both live, horrible stuff and pure luck nobody is dead.
I've been following Remy Gardner basically since his wildcard rides in moto3, gutted he couldn't convert a pole position into a top 4 finish overnight he's been so much more patient and consistent this season hopefully turns it around this coming weekend

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
-PJ- wrote:There was a couple of spectacular crashes in both MotoGP and Moto 2 overnight..

I've been following Remy Gardner basically since his wildcard rides in moto3, gutted he couldn't convert a pole position into a top 4 finish overnight he's been so much more patient and consistent this season hopefully turns it around this coming weekend

I was only half watching last night and saw the Rossi near miss. I haven't watched in quite a few years and I'm actually surprised Rossi is still riding. He's had a few near misses, I think he should call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
bonehead wrote:

I was only half watching last night and saw the Rossi near miss. I haven't watched in quite a few years and I'm actually surprised Rossi is still riding. He's had a few near misses, I think he should call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
going around again next year

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Get ready for a strange Bathurst folks. After SA opened their borders last week I was flown into Tailem Bend for the weekends event.. there are a LOT of people that are really over the reality of this season. They have it far worse than any other sporting code. Some mates of mine had to leave vic in July and haven’t seen family since. They can’t go home or see family until after Bathurst. At least footy players either have family sent in or get to go home after training.

There are a tonne of people counting down the days, and have one eye on the end of Bathurst. All usual rebuild processes are out the window as they have been building on the road’ away from their workshops.... I’d expect a LOT of human error to start slipping into the event.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think other than Super Rugby it's the other championship that will have an asterisk next to it, considering it's been Adelaide, 6 rounds in 3 hubs plus Bathurst

I feel for the Vic guys, being away for months on end.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I haven't found a way to get interested this year, I've been a grm fan for so long it's just not piqued my interest.
BJR always my 2nd team I'm glad to see the results they've had

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-TW- wrote:I think other than Super Rugby it's the other championship that will have an asterisk next to it, considering it's been Adelaide, 6 rounds in 3 hubs plus Bathurst

I feel for the Vic guys, being away for months on end.

When you add up all the race wins and armour all pole positions, I think this season has been dominated enough by Scott McLaughlin that the championship does not need the asterisk.

Awesome that he has enough points going into Bathurst that he can have an actual crack at it, rather than churning laps for a finish and a championship win that way

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Coastalraider wrote:Get ready for a strange Bathurst folks. After SA opened their borders last week I was flown into Tailem Bend for the weekends event.. there are a LOT of people that are really over the reality of this season. They have it far worse than any other sporting code. Some mates of mine had to leave vic in July and haven’t seen family since. They can’t go home or see family until after Bathurst. At least footy players either have family sent in or get to go home after training.

There are a tonne of people counting down the days, and have one eye on the end of Bathurst. All usual rebuild processes are out the window as they have been building on the road’ away from their workshops.... I’d expect a LOT of human error to start slipping into the event.
Started to see some of that human error slip in already. 888 are good for a pit infringement but running over a rattle gun is next level embarrassing for a team such as theirs.

As you eluded to Bathurst this year will be a cracker! An all and all race with nil implications on a championship nor another round to follow. Can’t imagine anyone will be leaving anything on the table.

This championship has less of an * next to it than the 2017 debacle. Not too often in modern times do you see a championship in Supercars wrapped up prior to the final round, especially in a
Shortened series. Clinical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: October 2, 2020, 9:10 am Get ready for a strange Bathurst folks. After SA opened their borders last week I was flown into Tailem Bend for the weekends event.. there are a LOT of people that are really over the reality of this season. They have it far worse than any other sporting code. Some mates of mine had to leave vic in July and haven’t seen family since. They can’t go home or see family until after Bathurst. At least footy players either have family sent in or get to go home after training.

Warriors say "hi". :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2020, 3:13 pm
Coastalraider wrote: October 2, 2020, 9:10 am Get ready for a strange Bathurst folks. After SA opened their borders last week I was flown into Tailem Bend for the weekends event.. there are a LOT of people that are really over the reality of this season. They have it far worse than any other sporting code. Some mates of mine had to leave vic in July and haven’t seen family since. They can’t go home or see family until after Bathurst. At least footy players either have family sent in or get to go home after training.

Everyone but RTS got their family sorted or went home didn’t they?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: October 2, 2020, 3:21 pm

Those that went home didn't come back. Those that stayed in the squad certainly couldn't "go home after training". Warriors had it tough and we shouldn't forget that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 2, 2020, 3:32 pm
Coastalraider wrote: October 2, 2020, 3:21 pm

Those that went home didn't come back. Those that stayed in the squad certainly couldn't "go home after training". Warriors had it tough and we shouldn't forget that.
No absolutely not. That wasn’t my intention.

But I know a bloke personally who got 4 hours notice to decide if they were travelling to Sydney for a race or 2, that was on the 7th July. His fiancé has been on house lockdown solo since the stage 4 came into effect in Melbourne. They now won’t be together until 20th October.

I know another bloke who’s wife and kids have been in lockdown the same period of time... again he can’t see them until late October. Huge sacrifices for guys who are on around $70k at best.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I wasn't disagreeing about it being difficult. I was pointing out that we should not forget what the Warriors players have been through to keep the NRL season going. Your comments appeared to brush that off.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:I haven't found a way to get interested this year, I've been a grm fan for so long it's just not piqued my interest.
BJR always my 2nd team I'm glad to see the results they've had

Yeah same. I’m a GRM fan also. Then not being there has just made it hard to find motivation to watch
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The gen 3 supercars have a bit of a GT3 look about them.

I think this mustang looks loads better than the modified one to suit the gen 2 specsImage

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-TW- wrote: October 15, 2020, 10:40 am The gen 3 supercars have a bit of a GT3 look about them.

I think this mustang looks loads better than the modified one to suit the gen 2 specsImage

Yeah it looks worlds better. The new Camaro looks stunning also. Think it makes sense, WAU were saying they didn't want to bring in the Camaro if the Rollcage specs meant the racecar wasn't going to look like a Camaro

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Team Penske drop DJR, McLaughlin going to Indycar full time.

No defending champion for 2021

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-TW- wrote:Team Penske drop DJR, McLaughlin going to Indycar full time.

No defending champion for 2021

DJR also rumoured to be on the verge of signing Will Davison and Anton De Pasquale. So it looks like Fabs is gone

Ludo’s also out the door

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

One way to get Will Brown into a seat at Erebus

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Hamilton joins Riccardo with a shoey

What a race!

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

excellent finish to the motogp season with Miller 2nd again and KTM winning another race. No Marquez made the season really interesting.
Moto2 a really well deserved maiden win for Remy Gardner, still riding the 2019 bike with a flat broke team he's been excellent this season 6th in the championship and jumps onto probably the best ride in moto2 for 2021.

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just read Fabian Coulthard's off to Team Sydney, the Engineer who guided Tekno and SVG to 2nd in the championship is returning also.
I really hope they can get off the ground and give Fabs a decent car

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just read Fabian Coulthard's off to Team Sydney, the Engineer who guided Tekno and SVG to 2nd in the championship is returning also.
I really hope they can get off the ground and give Fabs a decent car
yep really disappointed when he left BJR, I remember him crediting Brad Jones with making him feel great and his results followed.
Hoping tekno can revive his confidence to be the main guy and get the results

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah Fabs is one of my top 5 drivers. That makes sense, I've always had this feeling that DJR seems to be a bit of a... cold team. No evidence, just a gut feel that they're a bit of a no-nonsense team, and driver's wouldn't get the same level of TLC there as they would with an BJR as an example.

It's also been confirmed Davey Reynolds will leave Erebus 1 year into his 10 year deal. Something's going down there, there's a lot of people leaving that team. Rumoured to be joining McVean at Kelly's and bringing Penrite with him. Makes sense, since driver's and engineers tend to follow each other.

My question: If this all goes down, will the Kelly's be rocking Castrol and Penrite sponsored cars? Doubt it, which would be a shame, the Castrol car has been consistently one of the best looking cars in recent memory

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And seeing Penrite is Dave's sponsor that also makes sense

Erebus have gone backwards in a rapid rate, to the point where I'd worry they won't exist in a few years.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Motorsport Thread

-TW- wrote:And seeing Penrite is Dave's sponsor that also makes sense

Erebus have gone backwards in a rapid rate, to the point where I'd worry they won't exist in a few years.

I also read an article on Auto Action that was saying the plan was for Tickford to secure one of the parked RECS to replace the one going to BJR. With that REC, they were going to replace Lee Holdsworth with Thomas Randle, and the car was going to have Castrol’s backing, with Rick Kelly coming as a Co-Driver. However they didn’t get enough teams to approve the REC release.

So that would’ve made sense. Would open Penrite to go to Kelly’s and Castrol’s to go to Tickford
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on December 17, 2020, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I also read an article on Auto Action that was saying the plan was for Tickford to secure one of the parked RECS to replace the one going to BJR. With that REC, they were going to replace Lee Holdsworth with Thomas Randle, and the car was going to have Castro’s backing, with Rick Kelly coming as a Co-Driver. However they didn’t get enough teams to approve the REC release.

So that would’ve made sense. Would open Penrite to go to Kelly’s and Castro’s to go to Tickford
Damn, that would have been awesome
Edit: except Rick Kelly racing against Kelly Racing Image

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sid wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I also read an article on Auto Action that was saying the plan was for Tickford to secure one of the parked RECS to replace the one going to BJR. With that REC, they were going to replace Lee Holdsworth with Thomas Randle, and the car was going to have Castro’s backing, with Rick Kelly coming as a Co-Driver. However they didn’t get enough teams to approve the REC release.

So that would’ve made sense. Would open Penrite to go to Kelly’s and Castro’s to go to Tickford
Damn, that would have been awesome
Edit: except Rick Kelly racing against Kelly Racing Image
except rick Kelly still driving slowly around the back half of the field

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fair bit of movement overnight

In the V8 world
Brodie Kostecki - Erebus
Jake Kostecki - Full time at MSR
Zane Goddard - Full time at MSR
Gary Jacobson - Out of MSR

Not really surprised with MSR. They were pushing for a 3rd REC so they could run all three, but it wasn't to be.

Perez also apparently close to a deal with Red Bull

There's also talk the Development Series will be able to skip Gen 2 and jump straight to Gen 3 when its rolled out. If what they're saying is true about the lower cost of a Gen 3 car, apparently the Development guys could potentially do it. Story I read said some of the main game teams are against it, because selling older cars to the lower grades is a revenue stream for them

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've been a kostecki's fan, was hoping they'd fill my GRM void but apparently not.

Going to try to follow TA2 and S5000 next year

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reynolds to Kelly-Grove racing confirmed. Taken Penrite with him

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

enjoyed today's "Race Tasmania" should be some good racing in those ARG classes as they get into their seasons

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: January 25, 2021, 6:13 pm enjoyed today's "Race Tasmania" should be some good racing in those ARG classes as they get into their seasons

This got me a little excited...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/01/31/vi ... e-raceway/