The Motorsport Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Motorsport Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Ferrari and Vettel are parting ways. Sainz is tipped to be announced within the next 48hrs. Ricciardo is rumoured to be heading to Mclaren.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens at Racing Point, and whether Toto goes over once it's renamed to Aston Martin. Could potentially see Hamilton follow to Aston and Vettel to Mercedes
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Reading the reports it sounds like Sainz was the cut price option. Ferrari going back to the old Schumacher days with a clear no1 and a support driver. Their biggest problem lately is never being able to fully bridge the gap to Mercedes for race pace. At the height of the COVID-19 crisis in Italy there was quite a few reports Ferrari might even be pulling out of F1 due to cost. They always had one of the biggest budgets so might struggle to cope with other serious cost cutting measures. Particularly with the new caps being implemented.

Ricciardo ending up at McLaren not such result for him. Team made big strides forward last year and they won't have to do as much trimming under the new cap. Much better prepared to work within those limitations.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Things moving fast in the V8. Last week 23Red announced they couldn’t continue due to Milwaukee tools pulling out as a sponsor. Today Boost has announced they’re replacing 23Red with James Courtney steering.

Have to feel for Davison. They looked to have a decent car this year, and was 5th in the standings before this
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Things moving fast in the V8. Last week 23Red announced they couldn’t continue due to Milwaukee tools pulling out as a sponsor. Today Boost has announced they’re replacing 23Red with James Courtney steering.

Have to feel for Davison. They looked to have a decent car this year, and was 5th in the standings before this
I've come to hate boost, screwed GRM over and lost their spot in the supercars after 25 years, screwed over team Sydney earlier this year now dancing on Phil Munday's grave.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah... Im borderline with them at the moment, more on the hate spectrum because they screwed over my team and forced their hand to leave the series. With Team Sydney, Im getting the impression Jono Webb is doing the screwing over there.

Phil Munday, I would have been interested to see how that went down. He's claiming he couldn't get a sponsor to replace Milwaukee, so he walks, meanwhile Boost is sitting in the corner looking for a team to jump on. Cant quite tell in Boost are dancing on the grave, or saving the team and keeping the staff employed. The one person I feel for out of all this, apart from Will D, is Lucas Dumbrell

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Munday would have leased the rec to them, as he would get fined for every round he had it but didn't enter anything

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-TW- wrote:Munday would have leased the rec to them, as he would get fined for every round he had it but didn't enter anything

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I have a feeling he might have sold it. Aren’t RECs aligned to a number as well? Boost are running with 44

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Not sure where too put this, but Zanardi has had a monumental crash overnight. Seems he crossed the centreline on a road handcycle event and hit a truck.

Easily one of the most inspirational people I have ever seen, to come bravo from his CART crash and become an Ironman and multiple Paralympic gold medal winner.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... ycle-crash
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Bloody hell he does not have much luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Zanardi is my all time favourite driver. He’s the first driver I followed, and the reason I started following Motorsport.

Hope he manages to pull through this

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 20, 2020, 4:58 pm Zanardi is my all time favourite driver. He’s the first driver I followed, and the reason I started following Motorsport.

Hope he manages to pull through this
He was phenomenal in his first CART stint. Just amazing.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

He really was. I’ve been thinking about it tonight, because Laguna Seca 96 gets a lot of air time because of that pass through the Corkscrew, but I think his best race was Long Beach... I wanna say 98? He gets caught up in a traffic jam at the final hairpin, goes a lap down due to repairs etc, and storms back to win the race.

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 21, 2020, 12:33 am He really was. I’ve been thinking about it tonight, because Laguna Seca 96 gets a lot of air time because of that pass through the Corkscrew, but I think his best race was Long Beach... I wanna say 98? He gets caught up in a traffic jam at the final hairpin, goes a lap down due to repairs etc, and storms back to win the race.
He was mega.

His stint with Ganassi totally early him a second stint in F1, it’s just a pity when he came back was the start of Williams’ slide and the grooved tire era.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Have never liked motorsport, find it boring, dont know anything about it

I hope Bubba Wallace wins every **** NASCAR race for the rest of time
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: June 22, 2020, 8:03 pm Have never liked motorsport, find it boring, dont know anything about it

I hope Bubba Wallace wins every **** NASCAR race for the rest of time
Putrid news from the pits this weekend.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just **** disgusting... the reaction from a segment of NASCAR fans re: banning the confederate flag is appalling.

Bubba Wallace has changing the fabric of that sports fanbase and good for him. It's clearly sorely needed.
Im seeing a lot of white dudes on twitter with profile pic of them in their cars with sunglasses on Jussie Smollet

I dont even understand that ****, like do these hicks know the South flew the white flag? They rebelled against america, got their **** pushed in and surrendered.
How does any of that jive with american pride culture?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

No I don’t understand at least half of what goes on in American heads. But every country has their own weird fascinations. Look at how many commodores have ‘such is life’ stickers on them, with mullet wearing aussies idolising Ned Kelly. Take away the Heath Ledger version of events, and he was a boy from a terrible criminal family, who was a fairly successful thief. Once he his attempt to murder a full train of police was foiled, rather than give himself in he fought and cost the lives of all of his ‘friends’.

Now I’m the first to admit it’s fascinating, I’ve camped at stringy bark, toured Glenrowan etc, but he’s no bloke to be holding up as an example of positive australia history. But go figure, plenty of aussies see him as a hero.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Coastalraider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 21, 2020, 12:33 am He really was. I’ve been thinking about it tonight, because Laguna Seca 96 gets a lot of air time because of that pass through the Corkscrew, but I think his best race was Long Beach... I wanna say 98? He gets caught up in a traffic jam at the final hairpin, goes a lap down due to repairs etc, and storms back to win the race.
He was mega.

His stint with Ganassi totally early him a second stint in F1, it’s just a pity when he came back was the start of Williams’ slide and the grooved tire era.
Yeah that’s right. I was reading this week how Jordan’s engineer in 91 considered him the fastest driver ever to drive a Jordan, and they wanted to sign him for 92, but they couldn’t afford him.

Could you imagine that sliding doors moment if they could find the money?

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Coastalraider wrote:No I don’t understand at least half of what goes on in American heads. But every country has their own weird fascinations. Look at how many commodores have ‘such is life’ stickers on them, with mullet wearing aussies idolising Ned Kelly. Take away the Heath Ledger version of events, and he was a boy from a terrible criminal family, who was a fairly successful thief. Once he his attempt to murder a full train of police was foiled, rather than give himself in he fought and cost the lives of all of his ‘friends’.

Now I’m the first to admit it’s fascinating, I’ve camped at stringy bark, toured Glenrowan etc, but he’s no bloke to be holding up as an example of positive australia history. But go figure, plenty of aussies see him as a hero.
I watched The Highwaymen over the weekend, which was a true story of these two old school Texas Rangers hunting Bonnie and Clyde. The movie makes similar efforts to call out that these people murdered for fun, and yet they’re being idolised.
The movie even makes a deliberate effort in not showing the pair until the end. I really enjoyed it. The world is weird, and I hope the sport looks after Bubba.

Another doco worth watching on Netflix is Uppity. It follows Willy T Ribbs trying to be the first African American driver to qualify for Indy. He talks about how he tried to have a run in NASCAR, and he was getting death threats, and his team was getting threats that the car will get tampered with. So his manager basically said the South are ****** and avoid NASCAR.

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: June 22, 2020, 8:14 pm Just **** disgusting... the reaction from a segment of NASCAR fans re: banning the confederate flag is appalling.

Bubba Wallace has changing the fabric of that sports fanbase and good for him. It's clearly sorely needed.
Im seeing a lot of white dudes on twitter with profile pic of them in their cars with sunglasses on Jussie Smollet

I dont even understand that ****, like do these hicks know the South flew the white flag? They rebelled against america, got their **** pushed in and surrendered.
Turns out it was never a noose, it’s a rope the circuit team use to pull down the roller doors.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/06/24/fb ... door-pull/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

haha what a **** show

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 24, 2020, 9:51 am
Botman wrote: June 22, 2020, 8:14 pm Just **** disgusting... the reaction from a segment of NASCAR fans re: banning the confederate flag is appalling.

Turns out it was never a noose, it’s a rope the circuit team use to pull down the roller doors.

Thank goodness for that, im was far more reserved about that incident thinking there was a chance there nothing nefarious at play and im really pleased to hear that was apparently the case, the reaction to the confederate flag from that fan base is what truly confuses me.

Interestingly though i follow a ton of people in american sports and the response from NASCAR to this and the confederate flag banning has seemingly gained them a ton of new fans short term... whether they stick around i guess will up to the people and how they enjoy the product but becoming more progressive has opened up new potential revenue streams for that sport. It's beautiful to see.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: June 24, 2020, 11:14 am

Thank goodness for that, im was far more reserved about that incident thinking there was a chance there nothing nefarious at play and im really pleased to hear that was apparently the case, the reaction to the confederate flag from that fan base is what truly confuses me.

Interestingly though i follow a ton of people in american sports and the response from NASCAR to this and the confederate flag banning has seemingly gained them a ton of new fans short term... whether they stick around i guess will up to the people and how they enjoy the product but becoming more progressive has opened up new potential revenue streams for that sport. It's beautiful to see.
And for what it's worth
https://twitter.com/DanLinden/status/12 ... 4491401220

It was ABSOLUTELY a noose... an audit of 1600+ garages at Talladega showed only 11 garages had door pulls and this was the only tied like this.
However it was there long before this garage was assigned to Bubba... so this was not an act directly targeting him, which is great.

But some individual decided that garage needed a door pull, and then that individual, decided for whatever reason the door pull he'd install would be a noose... whoever that dude was, is a racist **** **** to be sure and certain
big fat party animal
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brent Todd

Post by big fat party animal »

Botman wrote: June 26, 2020, 3:22 pm
Botman wrote: June 24, 2020, 11:14 am

And for what it's worth
https://twitter.com/DanLinden/status/12 ... 4491401220

It was ABSOLUTELY a noose... an audit of 1600+ garages at Talladega showed only 11 garages had door pulls and this was the only tied like this.
However it was there long before this garage was assigned to Bubba... so this was not an act directly targeting him, which is great.

But some individual decided that garage needed a door pull, and then that individual, decided for whatever reason the door pull he'd install would be a noose... whoever that dude was, is a racist **** **** to be sure and certain
I get it. 1 out of 40 NASCAR drivers are African American. The other 39 are white. The noose was placed 2 years before Bubba was assigned to that garage, when there was a 39/40 chance of a white driver getting that garage. Obviously racism. Now seeing as though hanging has been a form of Capital Punishment
Since Medieval times, I would assume many, many, white folk have fallen victim to this cruel treatment. Seems like you went off half cocked, then chose to double down on your stupidity.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

You’re missing the context. Bubba’s been receiving death threats since he lobbied for the Confederate Flag to be removed from the sport.

So you’re the only black driver, racing in a series that started in the Deep South in the 20’s. There is deep rooted racism there, and they’re passionate about that flag for god knows why.

So who knows what he was copping before this, but then the next race after the flag was removed, you go into your garage and see the noose. After the death threats, would your first thought be “Oh, that’s the door pull. That’ll come in handy.”

Come on now. Meanwhile FBI are apparently investigating a 2nd noose found in Sonoma Speedway

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

big fat party animal wrote: June 27, 2020, 12:35 am I get it. 1 out of 40 NASCAR drivers are African American. The other 39 are white. The noose was placed 2 years before Bubba was assigned to that garage, when there was a 39/40 chance of a white driver getting that garage. Obviously racism. Now seeing as though hanging has been a form of Capital Punishment
Since Medieval times, I would assume many, many, white folk have fallen victim to this cruel treatment. Seems like you went off half cocked, then chose to double down on your stupidity.
I said in the follow up post that this noose was in the garage before it was assigned to Wallace, and that it was clear this wasn’t a case of targeted racism.
So I really don’t know what the **** you’re talking about there.

Reports after the incident was made public suggested there was no noose, which coastalraider posted in the quote... now the photo is released of what it was and I think any normal rational human being would call that a noose.

Nothing half cocked about this. There was in fact a noose in Wallace’s garage. Given the context as stated above, Authorities were made aware, it was investigated and thankfully it was clear that this act of racism wasn’t specifically targeting Wallace due to his recent stance on the confederate flag and racial equality.

But let’s also be clear on this, whether targeted at Wallace or not, whoever installed the door pull and tied it in the fashion was committing an act of racism.

The noose in that part of the USA is synonymous with the lynching of black men and women by white supremacists. The person who installed that rope clearly wasn’t targeting Bubba Wallace specifically, but is also clearly a racist ****.

But your whataboutism re: hangings and white folks tells me everything I need to know about you.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well, the reduced pay and jobkeeper has finally caught up with me, and it’s time for drastic action.

Got a call last night from an old friend, and I’m back on the tools at Sydney Motorsport Park in Supercars next weekend!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:Well, the reduced pay and jobkeeper has finally caught up with me, and it’s time for drastic action.

Got a call last night from an old friend, and I’m back on the tools at Sydney Motorsport Park in Supercars next weekend!
decent team or penske?

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: July 5, 2020, 5:30 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Well, the reduced pay and jobkeeper has finally caught up with me, and it’s time for drastic action.

decent team or penske?

No, just the back markers. The big teams have more staff than they know what to do with now given the restricted numbers allowed at the tracks.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Nice work Coastal. How did you go?

See Team Sydney have moved into Sydney proper. I'd like to see them cut some development deal with Western Sydney Motorsport once they get their act together. WSM dabble in Aussie Racing Cars and the Super Utes, so there could be opportunities there for a development ladder. Similar to BJR and Erebus

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 6, 2020, 1:05 pm Nice work Coastal. How did you go?

See Team Sydney have moved into Sydney proper. I'd like to see them cut some development deal with Western Sydney Motorsport once they get their act together. WSM dabble in Aussie Racing Cars and the Super Utes, so there could be opportunities there for a development ladder. Similar to BJR and Erebus
They are sourcing some staff through a local team that I worked with for a while when I got out of Supercars, that’s how I got involved this time. So they are already using local talent, and the team has a lot of 86 cars and a history in dev series, so there’s potential to be some sort of junior stable.

Let’s see if next weeks event goes ahead, there will be a few semis on the road tomorrow trying to cross the border before it shuts.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well I was supposed to be on a plane for Darwin today, stupid Rona.........
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Coastalraider wrote:Well I was supposed to be on a plane for Darwin today, stupid Rona.........
That’s a bummer you’re not going to make it up for the Supercars!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

And after having weekly covid tests to be allowed back in the bubble, they pulled a swiftly last week with the qld restrictions (I had to stop through Brisbane), and I would have had to be away from home for nearly 3 weeks to get the 2 races in.

After screwing around Supercars requiring private jets, border exemptions, and quarantine, they reverted all their restrictions this afternoon and allowed everyone out of quarantine.

So I could have gone anyway.....
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I was at the track today, so you don't get the full story of what's going on. Anyone know why whincup wasn't penalised for an unsafe pit exit making contact with Coulthard?? Bit of confusion around the track about it

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine