The Soccer/Football Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread

Post by Woodgers »

Mooy is so far and away our best player that he's currently irreplaceable in the line-up. In that central midfield position he's the best at every job whether it is anchoring and screening, being the link man or even playing further forward and creating the play. Out of all that though we miss the way he passes the football, his range of passing along with his possession play is our greatest weapon. He plays in teams with no quality to finish off his work so i'd be interested to see what he might be able to do in a good team.

Irvine played in centre midfield alongside Milligan. Irvine cops a lot of criticism and he's certainly not a polished player, but he has improved a lot in the past 12-18 months since moving to Hull and I reckon people not watching closely enough still refer to him as the headless chicken that first came into the squad. I will give him something though, at least Arnie knows what he'll get out of him which is 100% commitment every single time he plays him and in a side like this that's a major tick.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

100% agree with everything you've said Woodgers. Mooy missing is limiting our attack and I reckon the development of players like Mabil. Still, injury can provide opportunity and perhaps someone will surprise as the tournament moves on.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We are out of the Asian Cup. Beaten 1-0 by UAE. Rebuilding phase again but a couple of injuries sure didn't help.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Classical composer Elgar was a Wolverhampton Wanderers fan and wrote the first ever football chant.

What musical connections do we have at the Raiders???? Peter Blakely of Crying in the Chapel fame......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/mus ... music.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Crazy scenes in the League cup final this morning.

Chelsea manager looking to sub the keeper just before the shootout and the keeper refused to go off..

Stayed on the park and wasn't the hero in the shootout as Man City won.

Imagine the scenes in that dressing room at full time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Amazing A league game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

So who gets the axe when the Matildas get bundled out.
WorkChoice
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

LP Raider wrote:So who gets the axe when the Matildas get bundled out.
Heather Reid will definitely go. Talk that Gallop’s head is on the chopping block also
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 10, 2019, 6:43 pm
LP Raider wrote:So who gets the axe when the Matildas get bundled out.
Heather Reid will definitely go. Talk that Gallop’s head is on the chopping block also
They should go anyway, absolute disgraceful what happened.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

France played Albania in a Euro Cup qualifier yesterday.

As both sides lined up for their anthems the national anthem of Andorra was played in full by accident. There was a 7min delay as Albania refused to start the match until the error was rectified.

However..once the correct anthem was found the stadium announcer screwed up again by apologising to the Armenian fans rather than France's opponents Albania...

France won 4-1
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Did you see the vision of the keeper from Egypt? He has run outside his Penalty area to head the ball away and is about 30 metres from his goal. His header falls to an opposition player who chips the ball high over the keeper and it looks like it will go into the back of the net, but the keeper sprints back and dives high to upper cut the ball over the goal. Extraordinary determination. Sensational footage.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

You mean this one

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's pretty awesome stuff.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Liverpool fans will be ecstatic.

Wolves from two nil down to beat Man City 3-2. What a performance from a club that was in the third tier just a few years ago.

Check out Adama Traori if you want to see speed.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Looks like Liverpool and Arsenal fans have followed in our footsteps with a good ol’ fashioned poll hijacking. They made sure Peter Crouch beat out Harry Kane in Tottenham’s team of the decade

Nickman's love of NSW
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Was it the gangly and awkward looking Peter Crouch who answered the interviewers question “what would you be if you were not a professional footballer”

He replied “a virgin”
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

BJ wrote:Was it the gangly and awkward looking Peter Crouch who answered the interviewers question “what would you be if you were not a professional footballer”

He replied “a virgin”
Yeah same guy. They also had a chant for him “He’s big. He’s red. His feet hang off the bed. Peter Crouch, Peter Crouch”

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Aussie u/23s have one last chance to make the Olympics after being out classed by South Korea 2 nil
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Olyroos through to the Olympics with a 1 nil win over Uzbekistan. Well done young fellas (Olympics is for U/23s). D'Agostino from Perth Glory with a brilliant skillful run and then finish. I'm looking forward to how they perform on the big stage in Tokyo. With Tim Cahill retired we seem to have trouble in scoring goals at the senior level. Hopefully this next group of players can develop our goal scoring options for the National team. The next World Cup is in Qatar in 2022.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’ve been saying since Cahill retired that the FFA needs to give every new parent in maternity a soccer ball and a goal, and tell them to get their newborn scoring.

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The U/19 Young Socceroos have qualified for the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) Championship to be played in Uzbekistan in October 2020 so it seems that Australia have a positive pipeline of quality players coming through. Graham Arnold like his sides to attack and not rely on strong defence and counter-attack in the hope of a goal. Full credit to him. At senior level we have Mooy to create opportunity but so far no one to consistently take advantage. Here's hoping the Olympics pressure produces players who can both create and finish.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don’t follow soccer in the faintest, but just heard about this new Super League. Is it just me or is this news **** wild!? Will have huge ramifications for European soccer.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote: April 20, 2021, 9:15 am I don’t follow soccer in the faintest, but just heard about this new Super League. Is it just me or is this news **** wild!? Will have huge ramifications for European soccer.
Could completely change the face of the EPL too.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s crazy. The great thing about the EPL and the Championship etc is that Leicester City can make it from 5000/1 at the start of a season, or fans of a team like mine Wolverhampton Wanderers can dream of making it despite 50 plus years of empty trophy cabinets.

Can’t believe it will only be about the big rich teams.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

It’s a microcosm of the how the world works - the rich get richer at the expense of everybody else.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

And one day later the 6 English clubs back out and the Super League is over just like that. What an incredible about-face :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably did the maths of being booted out of the premier league

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I think they realised the barriers were going to be enormous. The national leagues would kick them out, FIFA would block the players from representing their national teams, players, coaches and fans didn’t support the idea. You have to think the owners have been humbled by this experience; but they’re billionaires so probably not... they’ll just find another way to get more money in their pockets.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Mourinho will be the only ESL coach to ever be sacked

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Soccer/Football Thread

Ange just been appointed Manager of Celtic!

Nickman's love of NSW
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Messi becoming available literally hours after Manchester City spent 100 Million on Jack Grealish is pure hilarious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Messi to join Newcastle Jets.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

World Champions USA (women) are in Newy tonight playing a friendly v Matildas.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Leeds United with an injury time penalty to claim a very valuable 3 points at Elland Road vs Palace this morning.

Leeds have struggled to back up there success of last season. A few injuries in key positions but they’re really missing Bamford up front. Hopefully they can bring in a quality striker in the January transfer window. MOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Socceroos need to finish in Top 2 in their group to get straight through to the World Cup. 4-0 win over Vietnam last Thursday was not the most polished performance but the 3 points are welcome. We have Oman away next Wednesday 2 Feb 2022. We are currently behind Japan and Saudi Arabia in our group. The good news is we have to play both in March. So the qualifying is in our hands. Japan on 24 March and Saudi Arabia on 29 March.

Japan v Saudi Arabia on Tuesday 1 February will crucial.