The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Halfway through Vikings: Vahalla. Back to its best with new characters and a new era.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finally engaging in a season of the challenge, which has always interested me but has never come on the right platform
Its' pretty damn good! Very excited to get stuck into it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I finished "Byron BAEs" on Netflix today. It was executed like a B or C grade version of Summer House. It is a reality show that is clearly often scripted, very clumsily, not just "produced". And the participants can't act, so the scripting makes you often cringe. However, I watched the whole thing... and it was probably in the category of "so bad it is good". Hard to stop watching the train wreck. It is perfectly ridiculous. Bring on Season 2.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Was I too critical of Byron Baes?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2022, 8:04 pm I finished "Byron BAEs" on Netflix today. It was executed like a B or C grade version of Summer House. It is a reality show that is clearly often scripted, very clumsily, not just "produced". And the participants can't act, so the scripting makes you often cringe. However, I watched the whole thing... and it was probably in the category of "so bad it is good". Hard to stop watching the train wreck. It is perfectly ridiculous. Bring on Season 2.
No, that's absolutely spot on
its TEERRRRIBLE... and yet we rolled through the entire season in two nights... you cant say no to it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jackson really is too nice for Olivia.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2022, 8:03 pm Jackson really is too nice for Olivia.
My most hated reality tv show sharacter has ALWAYS been from a little known and watched show from the heyday of VH1 called "Double Shot of Love". He won the show, his name is Trevor. And i hate him so much, and he's stood atop my rankings for over 10 years now... could not be topped

until now.
Olivia is the most toxic, ugly and disgusting human i've seen on reality tv. She is going to, rightfully, go through a good news cycle of getting eviserated and then the "experts" are going to rightfully tear her apart too... she must be one of the most hated people in australia right now. And long may that reign
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I haven't watched a lot of this show but have seen a few episodes and Olivia comes across as very bitter. However I'm not totally getting this issue? If someone puts something out there - in this case borderline EDIT - people are going to talk about it. I don't understand why Dom and partner are so outraged about it? People talk, people gossip, and at the end of the day they are not friends. They are a group of strangers thrown together for a TV show. I think it has more to do with the stigma associated with the industry or embarrassment over it rather than others talking about it?

Now many years ago I was living in a group house and we had fox and we got a free month on their EDIT channel and on 1 of the movies, low budget Aussie stuff my, at the time g/f's best friend is in it. I told my girlfriend but nobody else because of the friendship. They don't have that bond or ties on the show, and the two main parties despise each other.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: March 17, 2022, 7:03 am I haven't watched a lot of this show but have seen a few episodes and Olivia comes across as very bitter. However I'm not totally getting this issue? If someone puts something out there - in this case borderline EDIT - people are going to talk about it. I don't understand why Dom and partner are so outraged about it? People talk, people gossip, and at the end of the day they are not friends. They are a group of strangers thrown together for a TV show. I think it has more to do with the stigma associated with the industry or embarrassment over it rather than others talking about it?

Now many years ago I was living in a group house and we had fox and we got a free month on their EDIT channel and on 1 of the movies, low budget Aussie stuff my, at the time g/f's best friend is in it. I told my girlfriend but nobody else because of the friendship. They don't have that bond or ties on the show, and the two main parties despise each other.
It's not the talking about it or knowing it's out there, and Dom expressed that extremely clearly. She wasn't upset people knew, her partner knew. The issue is how the group and Olivia in particular came across this and then disseminate it. And people who got this and shared it can say "well that just is how it goes" and id say "No, that's a **** Bull excuse for your **** decisions and behaviours".

Aside from the moral issue of basically googling some chick, digging up dirt and sending it around the group to shame her... lets just set that part aside, although that is a huge part of it... if anyone honestly think what she did there was morally OK, then them and i just cant have an honest conversation about this because they're on a totally different level to me.

The site she put those photos on is a paid service, part of the terms and conditions of that is you agree not to disseminate those without permission, what Olivia has done, and she admitted it on TV, that she, not her friends did the googling and acquired these photos and then shared them, that is not only against the terms and conditions of the site, it's actually might very well be illegal under "revenge EDIT" legislation and she is opening herself up to potential criminal and civil action.

So that's what the big fuss is about. Basically a morally reprehensible person has distributed revenge EDIT in retaliation for an argument between the two in an attempt to slut shame her or cause her and her partner distress. It's just actually disgusting and the backlash Olivia is receiving and will receiving going forward is going to be well earnt and deserve.

I actually hope there is cause for criminal/civil action here because for better or worse this show is extremely popular, and it dominates a lot of the click baity-magazine social media thing and i think there is a large number of people who probably aren't aware the potential ramifications of this type of thing and a high profile situation like this would maybe help educate some people about the potential ramifications of doing such heinous things
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Okay that's a decent explanation. I wasn't aware that Olivia had actually done the googling, she said that her friends did it so maybe I missed that bit? I never thought of the revenge EDIT rules in the way you have described them and that's a fair point. Cheers for the explanation.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How about Mitch not even making a decision?!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Love seeing these cows on MAFS being absolutely **** on from high above. They've stumbled on to the right methodology for this show, the toxic men make it reallllly hard to watch, because the level of ugliness that comes from that is a bridge too far for enjoyment... however pairing these absolutely miserable women who are all about the Bull with admittedly goofy and flaweed but mostly OK guys is a winning formula.

Re other shows
I have to say i really liked to the opening for Moon Knight
not a major marvel character but a very interesting one, eager to see where they go with it
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I can’t wait to get into Moon Knight. I’m debating whether to start watching now, or wait 6 weeks and binge it.

Waiting also allows me to watch Return of the Jedi, then Mando and Boba
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm going to try MAFS UK on Nine Now.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

An old acquaintance from my Japan days has a series coming out on HBO, based on his biography 'Tokyo Vice'. Premiers Friday of this week, I believe. Absolute top-flight cast - should be a corker.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Your friend is Jake Adelstein? I knew some of those more shifty Yakuza associates had their names changed but this is a surprise. The book is a great read.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

zim wrote:Your friend is Jake Adelstein? I knew some of those more shifty Yakuza associates had their names changed but this is a surprise. The book is a great read.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fox have been running 3rd rock from the sun.

Great show, gigglefest.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That was a great show.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Any Survivor fans, I played in a fan run version of the show last year. It's all been edited now and the premiere dropped yesterday. Each episode will drop Sunday nights till season's end.

I'm 'Matt C' (maybe redundant to say when you see a guy wearing a Raiders jacket), I was subbed in 8:30 the night before it started, so prep time was basically zilch, but I'm proud to be part of the season. For a series that relies purely on volunteers, operates on a tiny budget, the production value is ridic.

Link to premiere:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the latest season of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel. This is absolutely first class television.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Season 2 of Mandalorian. This is the kind of show I’ve been wanting to watch my whole adult life. I’ve been hanging out for a decent Space Western genre, and this nails that feel.

Book of Boba is next, then onto Ep 7 - 9 of the movies

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished watching Season 2 of Mandalorian. This is the kind of show I’ve been wanting to watch my whole adult life. I’ve been hanging out for a decent Space Western genre, and this nails that feel.

need to get a move on, Kenobi starts this month

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

bonehead wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished watching Season 2 of Mandalorian. This is the kind of show I’ve been wanting to watch my whole adult life. I’ve been hanging out for a decent Space Western genre, and this nails that feel.

need to get a move on, Kenobi starts this month

Yeah I’m now up to ep 5 of Boba. I feel like I can watch Kenobi at the same time as 7-9, because it won’t be in chronological order. So I think I’m on track.

It’s why one of my mates told me to stop with Clone Wars. I was going to watch all 7 seasons between Ep 2 and 3, before they told me about Kenobi and Clone Wars taking me an age. I’ve also got Moonknight to start watching, but I’m waiting for all the eps to drop

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mando is one of the best tv shows disney has produced. So good, cant wait to see the Kenobi series too
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

@Fuifui Bradbrad Boba is only 7 episodes mate

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

bonehead wrote:@Fuifui Bradbrad Boba is only 7 episodes mate

Yeah I’m confident I’ll have Boba done this week. Been flying through it

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished Book of Boba. I liked it, but not as much as Mando. I’m hoping to see more of Cobb Vanth. He’s a perfect combo of character and casting for this world. Literally Justified in space.

Now back onto the movies with Ep 7

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Obi Wan drops between 5pm and 7pm tomorrow

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Stinging for it, looks really awesome
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Just finished 7 seasons + a movie of Ray Donovan. Great binge series, very well written.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im blown away by Obi Wan.
Think its off the best start possible.

Spoilers below, ill put in white text, highlight if you want to see

Firstly, i think that opening scene of the younglings escaping Order 66 is instructive. There is just no reason for that be there unless it's important, and absolutely convinced at this point that the third sister is that young black girl from that scene, which is why she's so hell bent on exacting retribution from the jedi.

I LOVE the story telling decision to have Leia involved in this. I've always found it a bit stange in A New Hope that Leia is so clear Obi is the jedi to give trust the most important mission in the galaxy to and it's early in that film and you can sort of yada yada yada it and assume she knows of him through tales or had some interaction with him, but building that out now where she's in her formative years and he is who her parents turned to to save her, and the connection they build, it feeds into the first moments of this whole universe and makes it more satisfying. It makes sense now why she put the death star plans in his hands,
Brilliant story telling imo.

I hope this is sort of the end of her though, i'd like this to move on to a cat and mouse game between the Inquisitors and Obi Wan.

I really like where Obi Wan is at this point in the time line, he's a reluctant hero and broken in a way, and im super interested to see how they get on track to being the Obi Wan we meet in A New Hope which is someone very content with where he is in his life and his mission

The biggest shock to me is the grand Inquisitors at the end of ep2. If you've watched the annimated series Rebels, you'll know and also know why i dont think that's the end for him, he'll be back.

I think we're going to see a lot more of Darth Vader than i anticipated. We might see another rematch but that i doubt, i think they'll have an interaction but not sure we'll see a duel.

I cant **** wait for the next ep, that's where im at right now.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

agreed on all points Pig, there's plenty to come. From the other animated series and books you've got darth maul to add into the mix with the inquisitors too

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

This whole series is being billed as the rematch of the century, so I think we WILL see them fight again, and Obi Wan win again