Post by The Nickman »

Both sound truly awful, Fui.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Botman »

People have different tastes, be it music, hobbies, sports, shows, movies
Everyone gets to like the stuff they like.

Personally whilst I'm not a Love Island guy, I had a date night with my wife a few weeks ago for our anniversary. We went out to Pilot and dropped $600+ at dinner and pre/post dinner drinks and then when we got home, cracked another bottle of wine and continued the latest season of MAFS UK. Perfect night.

We watch plenty of "prestige tv". Stuff like succession, last of us, the bear etc. Last night we started All the Light We Cannot See on netflix which so far has been very good but on a Friday night, after about 3 glasses of wine, when you lack the focus to give a quality show the attention it needs... then its time to see some hot messes try and find love in all the wrong places.

Doesnt have to be an either/or. Plenty of time to indulge in both. Variety is the spice of life ;)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sounds like the perfect dinner to me... up until you turned the TV on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sometimes, mindless rubbish can be fun.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:We watch plenty of "prestige tv". Stuff like succession, last of us, the bear etc. Last night we started All the Light We Cannot See on netflix which so far has been very good but on a Friday night, after about 3 glasses of wine, when you lack the focus to give a quality show the attention it needs... then its time to see some hot messes try and find love in all the wrong places.

Doesnt have to be an either/or. Plenty of time to indulge in both. Variety is the spice of life ;)
I say this a lot. You need to throw in a hot mess in amongst the masterpieces. We went through a time where Mrs Fui and I were like “We’ve been heavy in too many intense shows. Let’s get on Is it Cake just to relax for a bit”

Mrs Fui drew the line at Floor is Lava though. That was a bridge too far for her.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote:Both sound truly awful, Fui.
I think you’d like Master Distillers if you gave it a go. If anything, you learn how spirits are made, while wondering how these guys managed to convince a studio to pay them to drink.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My kids LOVE is it Cake haha
And more recently Dessert Masters was a big hit
Lego masters reigns supreme though.

And they love the masked singer too, good harmless fun
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It just occurred to me that 90% of my TV time is on ABC News 24 , with most of the rest on SBS News. I guess sport would be more

I wonder why I stopped watching other stuff?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched "Boy swallows universe" on Netflix today. I thought it was very good, quirky... perhaps the opening three or four episodes were the best of them... as the story became more unlikely. But it was still a good watch... the cast impressive... and I enjoyed the settings of 1980 Brisbane, the music, the feel, given I grew up there around that time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I watched "Boy swallows universe" on Netflix today. I thought it was very good, quirky... perhaps the opening three or four episodes were the best of them... as the story became more unlikely. But it was still a good watch... the cast impressive... and I enjoyed the settings of 1980 Brisbane, the music, the feel, given I grew up there around that time.
I've heard the book is very good so might have to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Over the last week or so I have watched:

- Rabbit Hole (7/10)
- Lioness (8.5/10)
- Yellowjackets (7/10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: If you guys want to watch an excellent show, truly outstanding writing, watch Bodies on Netflix.

Honestly the best show we’ve watched this year.
I thought this show was absolute ****.

How many times do we need to see that dudes awful dead body :doubt:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

working my way through Clarkson's farm, pretty light viewing

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Finished The Crown, it's a sequel to Game of Thrones

~~ spoiler alert~~

Can't believe they killed off one of the main characters!! they were popular among the fans too!

I'm also up to date with Rick and Morty

Might cancel Netflix and try prime for a month

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

If you’re getting Prime, cannot recommend Deadloch enough. It takes a few eps until the characters mellow out, but once they do, it’s gold.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: December 5, 2023, 5:04 pm It just occurred to me that 90% of my TV time is on ABC News 24 , with most of the rest on SBS News. I guess sport would be more

I wonder why I stopped watching other stuff?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
That's because you're getting old.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart recently. Such a good show. Australian TV has been good lately. This show just had me riding all the emotions. Recommend giving it a shot.

Trigger warning - Show is heavily about domestic violence

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its a limited series and also has a trigger warning on the content

But Boy Swallows Universe is a show we've just finished up, Its set in 1980's Brisbane and is superb. Highly recommend it. Its on Netflix.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:Its a limited series and also has a trigger warning on the content

But Boy Swallows Universe is a show we've just finished up, Its set in 1980's Brisbane and is superb. Highly recommend it. Its on Netflix.
I’ve now seen this show mentioned quite a lot recently. Means we probably should check it out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: January 18, 2024, 9:07 pm

I’ve now seen this show mentioned quite a lot recently. Means we probably should check it out.
Very confident in saying you’ll like it
It’s very good.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched the “American Nightmare” doco on Netflix last night. 3x 45 min eps.

Holy hell it’s a crazy messed up story. You go into each ep thinking one thing, then by the end it hits you for 6.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
The Nickman wrote: January 18, 2024, 9:07 pm

Very confident in saying you’ll like it
It’s very good.
We just finished watching it while on holiday in the States. It was an excellent show, both thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've made my way through all of the Star Wars content on Disney. I was watching Ashoka and was just confused, so went back to Clone Wars, skipping through a lot of it, just watching the episodes that looked essential to the overall story line, which included the entire last two seasons. The last two seasons were actually really enjoyable. Then I watched Rebels, again a good series, Bad Batch was okay, then rewatched Mandalorian, Book of Bobba Fett, then Ashoka and finally Andor. Then went on and rewatched Rogue One and Attack of the Clones. Will finish off with Revenge of the Sith. The only TV content that I didn't like really was Bobba Fett, which seemed a little pointless. The TV content and Rogue One were all significantly better than Attack of the Clones. Clone Wars, Rebels, Mando, Ashoka and Andor all tie in nicely together and complete the picture, at least in my mind.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The last two seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels are excellent viewing and mandatory for any Star Wars fans in my opinion... Bad Batch is also very good and I can't wait for the third and final season at the end of February.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd never watched the animated stuff either and same as the doc I realised I needed to.
I'm looking forward to Bad Batch season 3 and the next Ahsoka series

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Masters of the Air is finally out. I have been waiting for this for years. Rewatched Band of Brothers and The Pacific leading up to the release.

Pretty happy with the first 2 episodes. I image like the others it will be one you can rewatch. It’s on Apple TV+ which I am still trying to work out what it is other than something else to take away close to $15 a month from me.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: January 30, 2024, 2:10 pm Masters of the Air is finally out. I have been waiting for this for years. Rewatched Band of Brothers and The Pacific leading up to the release.

Pretty happy with the first 2 episodes. I image like the others it will be one you can rewatch. It’s on Apple TV+ which I am still trying to work out what it is other than something else to take away close to $15 a month from me.

I have seen the first episode which was very good. Apple TV… it’s got very little watchable content. When you really want to see something, best to wait until the series is all out, then subscribe for a month and switch if off again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im in a scheduling BIND

My wife and kids LOVE Australian Idol, it started last night, but we're also big Survivor and MAFS people, and they all started on the same night. These networks need to get their **** sorted with this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Half way through watching “The Gentlemen”, new TV series on Netflix. I don’t normally like Guy Ritchie crime genre much. But it’s pretty well done. Very watchable.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

On a real Japanese kick at the moment

Watching Shogun, which is the new prestige FX show which has so far been very good and just last night started getting into Blue Eye Samurai, which is an animated series but quite clearly not for kids. Excellent series so far

Planning on giving the Gentleman a run when im through with these two.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have got to the end of The Gentlemen already. Had to keep watching and binge it in the end. It is a bit compulsive. Brilliantly filmed and edited. The score adds a lot too.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What platform is Shogun on? Loved the book and from memory the movie was decent (was a long time ago). Blue eyed samurai not too bad. French made apparently.

GE Guy Ritchie's stuff has always been pretty slick - his first couple being his best I thought. Lock stock and Snatch.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gerg wrote: March 18, 2024, 7:23 pm What platform is Shogun on? Loved the book and from memory the movie was decent (was a long time ago). Blue eyed samurai not too bad. French made apparently.

GE Guy Ritchie's stuff has always been pretty slick - his first couple being his best I thought. Lock stock and Snatch.

Shogun is on Disney.
Apparently the makers have committed to only one season and not going beyond the source material despite the ratings. I am really eager to get the book now i've enjoyed the movie so much

Yeah i've always liked Guy Ritchie stuff... i think Snatch might be one of my most quoted movies.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
gerg wrote: March 18, 2024, 7:23 pm What platform is Shogun on? Loved the book and from memory the movie was decent (was a long time ago). Blue eyed samurai not too bad. French made apparently.

Shogun is on Disney.
Apparently the makers have committed to only one season and not going beyond the source material despite the ratings. I am really eager to get the book now i've enjoyed the movie so much

Yeah i've always liked Guy Ritchie stuff... i think Snatch might be one of my most quoted movies.
If you're really diving into Japanese media to the point of reading, I'd highly recommend Musashi. In my top 5 books of all time.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gerg wrote: March 18, 2024, 8:47 pm
Botman wrote:

Shogun is on Disney.

If you're really diving into Japanese media to the point of reading, I'd highly recommend Musashi. In my top 5 books of all time.

Just googled it, sounds really interesting! Thanks, will put that on my bday/fathers day list