All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by ALX22 »

Dunamis Lui signs with the Redcliffe Dolphins

Scott Murray will be in his first year as head coach of the Redcliffe Dolphins’ state league team as they prepare for the 2022 Queensland Cup.

Redcliffe has signed ex-NRL front rower and 2020 Queensland Origin prop Dunamis Lui, and will have players available through the Dolphins’ feeder club arrangement with the New Zealand Warriors.

Read more: https://redcliffedolphins.com.au/bennet ... 22-season/
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

ALX22 wrote:Dunamis Lui signs with the Redcliffe Dolphins

Scott Murray will be in his first year as head coach of the Redcliffe Dolphins’ state league team as they prepare for the 2022 Queensland Cup.

Redcliffe has signed ex-NRL front rower and 2020 Queensland Origin prop Dunamis Lui, and will have players available through the Dolphins’ feeder club arrangement with the New Zealand Warriors.

So the dolphins are the warriors feeder club? Dont they have a team in the nswrl? Whats going to happen next year when the dolphins are in the nrl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 28, 2022, 4:13 pm

So the dolphins are the warriors feeder club? Dont they have a team in the nswrl? Whats going to happen next year when the dolphins are in the nrl?

The Warriors were last in the NSW Cup in 2020. Their reserves effectively had no where else to play the past couple of years (after cancellation of the 2020 season). They pulled out of Jersey Flegg at the end of 2019, saying they’d run their juniors in their local league.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Elcaptcroker »

greeneyed wrote:

The Warriors were last in the NSW Cup in 2020. Their reserves effectively had no where else to play the past couple of years (after cancellation of the 2020 season). They pulled out of Jersey Flegg at the end of 2019, saying they’d run their juniors in their local league.
Gotcha, makes sense

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:

Warriors were affiliated with The Dolphins in 2021 also. They initially signed a 3 year agreement that would be nullified should the Dolphins gain entry into the NRL.

The Warriors have been based out of Redcliffe all offseason and will play the majority of home games at Dolphins stadium.

Also whilst it may have only just been announced Liu has been training with the Dolphins for all of the off-season. Dolphins will also have Adam Cook, who is on a train and trial with the Warriors so will play predominantly with the Dolphins in 2022.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: January 28, 2022, 8:31 pm
Warriors were affiliated with The Dolphins in 2021 also. They initially signed a 3 year agreement that would be nullified should the Dolphins gain entry into the NRL.

The Warriors have been based out of Redcliffe all offseason and will play the majority of home games at Dolphins stadium.

Also whilst it may have only just been announced Liu has been training with the Dolphins for all of the off-season. Dolphins will also have Adam Cook, who is on a train and trial with the Warriors so will play predominantly with the Dolphins in 2022.

Yep, my error, sorry.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Scott faces roadblock along journey back to NRL

Dumped Canberra centre Curtis Scott has reportedly entered negotiations with local footy side Camden Rams in an effort to obtain a contract for the 2022 season. Scott had been on the verge of signing a bottom dollar deal to join Parramatta this season. However, with historic domestic violence charges hanging over his head, the deal was scuppered.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/scott-faces- ... rl-113503/
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

We got him, come down here shagger, and let me sniff ya head.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Queensland Cup moves for former Raiders:

Bailey Hartwig signs with Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Lazarus Vaalepu signs with Sunshine Coast Falcons

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/02/07/ ... nd-losses/

Kai O'Donnell signs with Burleigh Bears
Luke Page retires
Andre Niko signs with Mackay Cutters

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/02/15/ ... -for-2022/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Raiders junior and Woden Valley Rams forward Tyson Hodge selected for Rabbitohs trial: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/02/15/pre ... uncements/

He was a starting prop in our Jersey Flegg 2019 Grand Final team.

Havili selected at lock for the Rabbitohs. Andre Niko selected for Cowboys. Paul Vaughan and Tevita Pangai Jnr for the Bulldogs.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

RTW wrote: January 28, 2022, 8:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Adam Cook named for the Warriors in their trial game this week
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Craig Garvey has joined Tweed Heads Seagulls, per their Instagram.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/03/17/ ... -for-2022/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have to admit, I forgot he’d ever signed with us!
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Unlucky not to make grade in my opinion. Must of had attitude or training issues because he was a standout for the Mounties.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cessnock Goannas have signed former Canberra Raiders prop Sam Mataora: https://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/s ... n-goannas/
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2022, 10:05 pm Cessnock Goannas have signed former Canberra Raiders prop Sam Mataora: https://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/s ... n-goannas/
I remember the game where he stood in our own in goal staring at the ball on the ground. All he had to do was reach down and ground it, but no, he stood there watching while an opposition player walked in from 5 metres away to score.

The international where he played the ball the wrong direction, also good stuff from Sam.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He had a season with the knights that showed what he was capable of... shame for him that sustain.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2022, 12:15 pm I have to admit, I forgot he’d ever signed with us!
We could do a forgotten 17.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2022, 1:36 pm
greeneyed wrote: February 17, 2022, 12:15 pm I have to admit, I forgot he’d ever signed with us!
We could do a forgotten 17.
But we have forgotten who they are…
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: February 18, 2022, 12:27 pm He had a season with the knights that showed what he was capable of... shame for him that sustain.
He had some mental health issues didn't he? Looks like he's in a better place now. I thought he and Paps were going to be the cornerstones of our pack for a decade when they both came through.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Some people here raved about Mataora, and I got yelled at for not raving about him.

Forgot all about Craig Garvey.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mataora had all the tools

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:Some people here raved about Mataora, and I got yelled at for not raving about him.

I was another who thought Mataora was an out and out plodder. I remember also arguing with Pig who really rated Mitch Cornish highly.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

dubby wrote: February 18, 2022, 3:58 pm Some people here raved about Mataora, and I got yelled at for not raving about him.

I liked him a lot in his first half year of grade. By even his second year he was starting to look sluggish.

I got shouted down on Cornish too. I remember watching U20s and seeing him just shovel the ball on to the next man who just runs over the top of his opponent and Mitch gets the try assist. I didn't see any nuance to him engaging the defense with ball in hand as a ball player or running threat.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
dubby wrote: February 18, 2022, 3:58 pm Some people here raved about Mataora, and I got yelled at for not raving about him.

I liked him a lot in his first half year of grade. By even his second year he was starting to look sluggish.

I got shouted down on Cornish too. I remember watching U20s and seeing him just shovel the ball on to the next man who just runs over the top of his opponent and Mitch gets the try assist. I didn't see any nuance to him engaging the defense with ball in hand as a ball player or running threat.
Cornish scored plenty of tries from a dummy and run, he was deceptively strong. Had a nice long ball to his backs too but never developed.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Eels extend Makahesi Makatoa until the end of 2024 season: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2022/ ... r-players/
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: February 18, 2022, 9:22 pm Mataora had all the tools

And showed it in that season with the knights. Those who doubted his ability to be a FG player were proven wrong.

re: cornish, i'll certainly take an L on that, he certainly didnt live up to his junior grade hype, though you wont convince me that the way we handled him didnt irrevocably damange his development. As we see time and time again, talent and ability is but a small piece of the puzzle.

Travis Waddell was the one that really shocked me. Im still not sure why his game never translated.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I also think Mataora at the Knights was nothing more than very average in a very poor team. He made some terrible defensive reads in a crappy defensive team.

He didn’t even poll that well in the Knights POTY in his best season for the Wooden Spoon team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cant agree, i watch the knights a lot, they're my deathride team, hate their guts. It brings me genuine joy to see the knights absolutely **** stink. I watched a lot of that team and enjoyed every moment of it.
He was really really good that year, definitely showed he had the talent and ability to play NRL footy. But im not trying to get into an argument about 2016 Sam Mataora tape on a Sunday night in 2022. :lol:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: February 20, 2022, 7:15 pm Cant agree, i watch the knights a lot, they're my deathride team, hate their guts. It brings me genuine joy to see the knights absolutely **** stink. I watched a lot of that team and enjoyed every moment of it.
He was really really good that year, definitely showed he had the talent and ability to play NRL footy. But im not trying to get into an argument about 2016 Sam Mataora tape on a Sunday night in 2022. :lol:
If he was that good, why did he only play 1 game the following year and never played for another team (including ESL) again? Injury?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Mataora had some mental challenges, so we’ll leave this one here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That was my understanding too, BJ. As i said in a post above...
The more i watch sport the more i appreciate talent and ability is but a small piece of the puzzle, it's an absolute requirment but there is so much more required in order to be successful at that level.
The margins are razor thin at the highest level. I do love seeing these guys still playing footy at places like the Cessnock though. Gotta keep doing the things you love
One of the main regrets in my life was giving up playing footy when i did, was never going anywhere but a bad pub footy team but ive never stopped missing playing footy.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah that’s a good point Pig. I think Federer has said similar things. Talent and ability wise, the top 50 tennis players are pretty equal, but the difference is the mental aspect, and what happens between the points.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If the sporting wheel turned on nothing more than physical attributes and talent, we'd have been a juggernaut on the back of Todd Carney, Will Zillman and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs