Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

bonehead wrote: December 23, 2021, 8:39 am I still love Joey, he's a human highlight. He's been a grub but he was our grub, he's a winner

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I think it was Sportsbet that tweeted that after that victory he now moves on to the harder challenge of training in the English winter.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Yeah there's a reason they keep putting on these fights - people keep watching them. We may have some great Aussie boxers at the moment but nobody seems interested in that. It's the personalities that sell the fights. Same thing is going on in the US where YouTubers and social media stars are dominating boxing.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders halves Blake Austin and Aidan Sezer reunite at Leeds Rhinos

Mark two of the Aidan Sezer-Blake Austin halves combination started with a bang on Boxing Day in front of a typically vociferous Leeds Rhinos crowd at Headingley Stadium.

"We've got a few more friendlies to come so hopefully we're in good shape come round one and we're all on the same page and we can perform well," Sezer told the Leeds Rhinos after the win over Wakefield. "This time of year, clubs are still trying to find their best 17.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Sezer stars as Jack Sinfield makes Leeds debut: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/27/sez ... eds-debut/

How Leeds Rhinos aim to make a Canberra Raiders half-back reunion help them in 2022: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... em-in-2022
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Austin linked to the Dolphins according to The Mole.

Dolphins eyeing former NRL playmaker Blake Austin

Don't be surprised if The Dolphins have a crack at former Panthers, Tigers and Raiders playmaker Blake Austin for their inaugural season in 2023. Unable to sign an experienced half or five-eighth in Australia, the Dolphins have been forced to look outside the square.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-dolph ... 68cea55f91
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

“He won’t look out of place”: Knights recruit eyes off NRL debut

The Newcastle Knights have plenty of competition for their front-row spots in 2022, but Leo Thompson will be looking to add his name to the pool in the second half of the year. The little known prop has switched from the Canberra Raiders this off-season, with the club in the nation's capital not thrilled to be losing the youngster.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/he-wont-look ... ut-112885/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I would have thought any other drug not snorted would have been more practical for someone with a snoz like Blake….

Ex-NRL star Blake Ferguson arrested in Japan for alleged cocaine possession: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/exnrl ... 6a61eca15f
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by reptar »

Billy Walker wrote:I would have thought any other drug not snorted would have been more practical for someone with a snoz like Blake….

Ex-NRL star Blake Ferguson arrested in Japan for alleged cocaine possession: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/exnrl ... 6a61eca15f
Perhaps he rubs it into his gums to treat dental pain.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I know it's well and truly settled that that bloke is an absolute ****... but inciting violence when you're in possession of an illegal drug in a foreign country absolutely takes the cake doesn't it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: January 2, 2022, 2:32 pm I know it's well and truly settled that that bloke is an absolute ****... but inciting violence when you're in possession of an illegal drug in a foreign country absolutely takes the cake doesn't it.
The cake or the hash brownie?
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

julian87 wrote: January 2, 2022, 2:32 pm I know it's well and truly settled that that bloke is an absolute ****... but inciting violence when you're in possession of an illegal drug in a foreign country absolutely takes the cake doesn't it.
I heard they didn’t serve his preferred flavour of Bacardi Breezer
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

mick63 wrote: January 2, 2022, 5:27 pm
I heard they didn’t serve his preferred flavour of Bacardi Breezer

Haha
He did say he wanted to create a legacy.

Once a **** .............
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

When will they learn their not like normal people, and when they get caught, it gets played out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Billy Walker wrote: January 2, 2022, 10:40 am I would have thought any other drug not snorted would have been more practical for someone with a snoz like Blake….
It's not clear which orifice he uses...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Gotta love the ruthless efficiency of the club statement. This is how you set a standard…

Blake Ferguson sacked from Japanese rugby club after drug possession charges: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/blake ... 325f59cf79
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Blake is a twat.

Always has been.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If he confesses to everything, rolls over and does precisely what he's told, he'll get 45 days in jail and a one way ticket home. If he does anything except that, he'll be in jail for a year while they dither around.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

T_R wrote: January 3, 2022, 9:20 pm If he confesses to everything, rolls over and does precisely what he's told, he'll get 45 days in jail and a one way ticket home. If he does anything except that, he'll be in jail for a year while they dither around.
So the " I like blondes " reason won't wash this time? 🤔

Firstly I hope he does time, maybe that's what he needs to learn and 45 days there might shake him up a bit cause he will be no one special when he gets home, is unemployed and not an nrl player

But I hope his manger gave him a " dummies guide to not being arrested in Japan ".
Its not really ok to send him off to Japan and just take his 10% cut. Its not like sending a player to the uk, Japan has different laws, cutoms etc and can be offended easily.
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: January 3, 2022, 9:20 pm If he confesses to everything, rolls over and does precisely what he's told, he'll get 45 days in jail and a one way ticket home. If he does anything except that, he'll be in jail for a year while they dither around.
Something tells me that if a team of lawyers explained that to Blake in the same simple terms that you have used there is still no guarantee that he’d choose the right approach.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Which CEO is Captain Obvious in respect to BJ?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bit harsh Justin..

Still love ya Beej.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:If he confesses to everything, rolls over and does precisely what he's told, he'll get 45 days in jail and a one way ticket home. If he does anything except that, he'll be in jail for a year while they dither around.
I always thought their system was pay up and go home or is that just traffic(driving) offences?, this will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: January 4, 2022, 5:27 am Bit harsh Justin..

Still love ya Beej.
He is a loose unit, and the recent NRL fight night surprised me just how off the chain he really is. There is no doubt he was most settled and “disciplined” in his time in green. Will probably never know, but I’d love to understand who were most influential in keeping him on that path. I’m guessing Rapa, and Sia, but wonder how much Rick and maybe Don played a role to generally keep him in the right head space.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

How rough are Japanese prisons, TR?

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: January 4, 2022, 8:18 am How rough are Japanese prisons, TR?
And what were you in for? :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote: January 4, 2022, 8:18 am How rough are Japanese prisons, TR?
They are very safe, and a living hell.

I had a friend disappear off the face of the earth for two weeks. Turns out he'd been arrested for clocking a bouncer and wouldn't confess to it...so the cops just keps him locked up. They have no requirement to notify family or embassy etc. They will hold you until you confess to whatever it is they decide you did. Japanese courts have a 99% conviction rate, and it is entirely on confession. There is no presumption of innocence in the Japanese legal system.

Normal prison conditions are that you spend much of the day kneeling on the floor. Food is very, very basic...think a bowl of rice and some fish based soup. Cells are 6-12 people per room, and you sleep on the floor, shoulder to shoulder. You are only allowed to speak at exercise time, and even then only in Japanese. If you don't speak Japanese, then you don't speak.

Once convicted and sentenced, you'll work (mostly cooking and cleaning). While you're on remand, like old mate Blake is, you'll spend 14 hours a day kneeling on the floor staring at your hands.

If you do find yourself under arrest in Japan, negotiate the easiest confession you can get away with as quickly as you can get away with it. Cooperate like a mad thing. THink of things to confess to. If your sentence is under 3 years, they'll almost certainly suspend it after 45 days and send you home. If you fight it, then you'd better really, really get used to your new lifestyle.

EDIT - Human Rights Watch report, if anyone is interested enough - https://www.hrw.org/reports/JAPAN953.PDF

From that report, this is the point that our friend Blake is at now -
" Japanese suspects after being apprehended are routinely placed in
police detention for up to twenty-three days. During that time they are
subjected to lengthy interrogation sessions conducted by the police and the
prosecution, which are aimed at obtaining confessions. Numerous reports
indicate that in order to achieve that goal, interrogators apply various forms
of pressure, ranging from sheer exhaustion inflicted by the length of these
sessions, during which the authorities take turns but the suspect does not
leave the room for ten or more hours at a time, to threats, deprivation of food
and drink, and violence, in the form of poking, kicking and beating.
"

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Well blake needed mundine to talk for him that time, so I cant see him being able to speak Japanese....
Being serious this could end very badly for Blake.
The guy isnt known for his modesty and thinking before talking.
Unless he is able to get a lawyer to speak for him he isnt likely to confess to anything and is likely to back chat and ark up, even get physical with the guards.

I'm actually curious if he is currently in prison or on bail
Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cat wrote: January 4, 2022, 1:01 pm Well blake needed mundine to talk for him that time, so I cant see him being able to speak Japanese....
Being serious this could end very badly for Blake.
The guy isnt known for his modesty and thinking before talking.
Unless he is able to get a lawyer to speak for him he isnt likely to confess to anything and is likely to back chat and ark up, even get physical with the guards.

I'm actually curious if he is currently in prison or on bail
There is next to no chance he's on bail

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Blake's next contract may be a little less lucrative than he's used to:

Most sentenced prisoners in Japan work, either in prison factories or in their cells. They receive no wages and instead get a gratuity of up to some $35 a month, but often lower. Those who work in prison factories are not allowed to talk during work and are instructed to look at nothing other than that on which they are working. Making eye contact with a fellow prisoner or a guard is prohibited and punishable.

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

A guy like Blake who seeks attention of others continually that "no eye contact " will be impossible

There is a part of me which really feels sorry for him, it is a small part
Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can he have visitors ?

Maybe the man Mundine is already organising his freedom.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-PJ- wrote: January 4, 2022, 1:38 pm Can he have visitors ?

Maybe the man Mundine is already organising his freedom.
Well he is "The man" , how can they stop him :P
Vaccinated
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Brad Drew at the SCG enjoying throwing a tennis ball around amongst the crowd in the rain delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Curtis Scott has been arrested and charged with assaulting his ex partner on numerous occasions in 2018: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b43b0581c2
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wow.

NRL star Curtis Scott charged with assault

NRL star Curtis Scott has been charged with allegedly assaulting his former partner. The 24-year-old was arrested at a Sydney golf court yesterday and charged with two counts of intentionally choking a person, two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, stalking and common assault.

Read more: https://www.4bc.com.au/breaking-nrl-sta ... h-assault/
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 6, 2022, 7:02 am Curtis Scott has been arrested and charged with assaulting his ex partner on numerous occasions in 2018.
*Waits for Hodgo et al to come out and tell us how good a bloke he is and how he has been so hard done by. :thumbsdown
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!