The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

From a batting perspective encouraging that it wasn't just the usual suspects of labu and Smith doing all the work.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 16, 2022, 10:18 pm From a batting perspective encouraging that it wasn't just the usual suspects of labu and Smith doing all the work.

TBF, Labu did plenty of heavy lifting. But all of the top 7 contributed at different times, which is what you want
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we still off Cam Green?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 17, 2022, 7:35 am we still off Cam Green?

Nope.
Love that guy
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 17, 2022, 8:43 am

Nope.
Love that guy
Never doubted him, hey Matt. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 17, 2022, 8:52 am
Matt wrote: January 17, 2022, 8:43 am

Nope.
Love that guy
Never doubted him, hey Matt. :)
Never :lol:
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Matt wrote:
Makaveli wrote: January 16, 2022, 8:58 pm One wicket away from 5-0

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
4-0.
Syd was a draw
Yeah if we got one more wicket in Sydney would be another 5 zip

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How bad are ENG ?

Maybe the Wine Country Woodducks could organise a warm up match for the tourists next time.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:How bad are ENG ?

Maybe the Wine Country Woodducks could organise a warm up match for the tourists next time.
Hunter Valley O/50s could accommodate

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 17, 2022, 1:31 pm

Not sure youll stand up to Wood OR Archer if he were fit, but I reckon youll post an otherwise competitive total.
Then its all about how many Root gets, and we know he wont get 100s in Australia, so youll be ok.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think England borrowed one of the Woodducks and dressed him up to look like Ollie Robinson. I don't know that I've seen an International bowler look that unfit/disinterested. There were some Woodducks in their batting line up as well. Still, Australia can only beat what's in front us and that was done comprehensively.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Its just not the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This place is woke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Question wrote:Its just not the same.

pre-game over 50s source photo

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Pretty much, i loved when the club used to throw a few of the 16s up to play mens, so we could bring them on, rocking up half tanked and sucking back a few pre game, i loved those days

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:

Not sure youll stand up to Wood OR Archer if he were fit, but I reckon youll post an otherwise competitive total.
Then its all about how many Root gets, and we know he wont get 100s in Australia, so youll be ok.
I think you've hit on something there. Archer. He plays this series and it's definitely closer. Quality bowler.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: January 17, 2022, 6:52 pm
Matt wrote:

I think you've hit on something there. Archer. He plays this series and it's definitely closer. Quality bowler.
Except that the Poms probably don't play both Archer and Wood til late in the series. They got their attack wrong nearly all series. Having another choice would confuse them more.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Maxwell 154 off 64 for the Stars. Wow.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: January 19, 2022, 8:39 pm Maxwell 154 off 64 for the Stars. Wow.
Incredible innings total as well. Hard to see that record getting beat. Canes rested all their bowlers and had one of the most inexperienced attacks up against some of the world's best T20 bats under zero pressure. Perfect storm.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 20, 2022, 8:09 am
BJ wrote: January 19, 2022, 8:39 pm Maxwell 154 off 64 for the Stars. Wow.
Incredible innings total as well. Hard to see that record getting beat. Canes rested all their bowlers and had one of the most inexperienced attacks up against some of the world's best T20 bats under zero pressure. Perfect storm.
Yup. Crazy stuff
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

What’s even crazier is the last 4 overs Maxwell barely saw any strike. Stoinis was absolutely destroying the bowling so the overall total didn’t suffer but Maxwell could have reached 200 quite easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RTW wrote: January 20, 2022, 10:16 am What’s even crazier is the last 4 overs Maxwell barely saw any strike. Stoinis was absolutely destroying the bowling so the overall total didn’t suffer but Maxwell could have reached 200 quite easily.
That was the funny part. In isolation, Stoinis was one of the most dominant innings of the tournament and nobody batted an eyelid. Everybody wanted Maxy on strike. :lol:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't watch Big Bash and I know there have been questions over Maxwell's temperament, but someone of his talent should probably have played a lot more cricket for his country in all forms.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 3:26 pm I don't watch Big Bash and I know there have been questions over Maxwell's temperament, but someone of his talent should probably have played a lot more cricket for his country in all forms.
He's an automatic selection in white ball cricket so can't really ask for more representation there.

Test cricket he was given a crack at it and came back with Marcus Harris/Cam Bancroft like returns, even batting down the order. Since then he hardly played any long form cricket. His last Sheffield Shield match was nearly 2.5 years ago. Whether thats by choice or circumstance I'm not sure. EIther way he hasn't put himself up for a Test recall given that situation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: January 20, 2022, 3:39 pm
Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 3:26 pm I don't watch Big Bash and I know there have been questions over Maxwell's temperament, but someone of his talent should probably have played a lot more cricket for his country in all forms.
He's an automatic selection in white ball cricket so can't really ask for more representation there.

Is he? I can recall several instances in the past where he was left out of the ODI team following a fairly productive 2015 world cup. Sure he's played, but not as regularly as he probably should have (maybe partly his own fault).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Test cricket he was given a crack at it and came back with Marcus Harris/Cam Bancroft like returns, even batting down the order. Since then he hardly played any long form cricket. His last Sheffield Shield match was nearly 2.5 years ago. Whether thats by choice or circumstance I'm not sure. EIther way he hasn't put himself up for a Test recall given that situation.
I think its a bit of both TBH. But he is 1 of those guys with too much talent and not enough application. He should have a similar career record to Warner IMO.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 3:44 pm

Is he? I can recall several instances in the past where he was left out of the ODI team following a fairly productive 2015 world cup. Sure he's played, but not as regularly as he probably should have (maybe partly his own fault).
In the past 12 months he has been the Aussies 1st allrounder picked. He is keeping Ashton Agar out of the side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 3:44 pm

I can't tell you the exact numbers but since 2015 I'd say Finch as Captain would be the only player to have more ODI caps than Maxy.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah maybe, I recall there being drama between him and Clarke or someone else? Which kept him out of the team for awhile.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 4:04 pm Yeah maybe, I recall there being drama between him and Clarke or someone else? Which kept him out of the team for awhile.
Clarke had drama with quite a few people. Would have been a serious clash of egos between him and Maxwell. Clarke retired in 2015 so his influence had disappeared from that point onward.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Clarke was a numpty. Never liked him. Katich, Hayden, Hussey (?) all had issues with him apparently.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 20, 2022, 4:24 pm Clarke was a numpty. Never liked him. Katich, Hayden, Hussey (?) all had issues with him apparently.
Gives the impression he's a bit of a bell-end.

Watto was another who seemed to clash with him a bit. Got a few players off side with "homeworkgate".
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

It's pointless DRS reviews

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Lol no Cummins in the ICC test team of the year what are they smoking

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 21, 2022, 7:00 am Lol no Cummins in the ICC test team of the year what are they smoking

My initial reaction was shock. Then looking at it Cummins only played 4 matches in 2021. All the bowlers they picked had more wickets at a better strike rate and better average.

Conversely though you need to consider opposition. Pakistan have a decent representation in the team and they had series against West Indies, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Reckon Cummins would rattle up a few extra poles against those. Instead he was up against India and England.