Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Just saw a Simpson's meme...
What colour did Bart's team wear?
Oh...
What number was Bart?
And... well... where did Homer want to play him?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

First NFL game I've watched in my life, and only from Q4.

Great game, albeit I didn't understand the tactics and the rules.

Ricky Stuart reminds me of the 49s coach. Conservative, afraid to win a game. Conservative when on top, thinking he had enough points to win.

Fogarty reminds me of the 49s QB. Just cannot get it done when needed.

Nathan Cleary = Mahomes

Kelce is a diva like his GF. Shameful how he treated his coach.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: February 12, 2024, 9:09 pm First NFL game I've watched in my life, and only from Q4.

Ricky Stuart reminds me of the 49s coach. Conservative, afraid to win a game. Conservative when on top, thinking he had enough points to win.

Nathan Cleary = Mahomes

Congrats
1. You're now interested in the best game in the world (yeah i said it), the more you watch the better the experience will be. Wonderful game

2. Nailed Niners coach... he does coach scared and is absurdly conservative given his otherwise effecient offence, though ill say in this game, i thought for the the most part he made the correct aggressive decisions. There were 2-3 times he had an opportunity to shrink and he was aggressive in those spots and was rewarded. Dont love his decision to take the ball in OT but i also get it to some extent

3. Fog being Purdy is an interesting comp... definitely correct in that they are both phyiscally limited. Cleary = Mahomes is a good take!

4. I promise you Andy Reid (the coach) and Kelce are not sweating that interaction. Looked worse than it was. Players and coaches have those kinds of interactions weekly. Not a great look admittedly but we've seen and will continue to see worse. It's a high pressure, highly charged situation. Everyone is working toward the same goal. Not sure what your take is on his Swift. But ill be honest Swift takes as it relates to NFL and Kelce are always the most absurd ****. And i dont want to engage in that nonsense at all
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: February 12, 2024, 8:41 pm
Matt wrote: February 12, 2024, 8:31 pm I've seen the winning play, plus about 3 others.

I see Greenlaw blew his achillies. I'm guessing this made a difference. Poor SOB gets a SB loss AND a horrible injury
Greenlaw injury absolutely CRITICAL to the game.
1. He was playing LIGHTS out. Man he was moving. He and Warner were just absolutely everywhere. Big part of the chiefs being held to 3 at the half

2. the guy who came in for Greenlaw... not great! didnt fit the run very well and im FAIRLY sure on the MVS touchdown he **** up. That was WIDE ASS open. Eager to hear some pods to know if anyone who knows more about x's and o's than me can explain it but my reading of that Coverage bust and i think he was supposed to carry the seam. Greenlaw is a very buttoned up player. He'd have not blown that assignment.

They also got Kelce going once Greenlaw left the game.

Yep, the Greenlaw injury was impactful
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

First Super Bowl I've watched from start to finish. Retirement has some advantages. Not a huge fan of the game due to the stop start nature of it, but the athleticism when they go is impressive. From the game point of view and sheer desire to make a difference, I thought the effort of Chiefs line baker Leo Chenal to block the conversion via an outstretched had to the ball was a game changer. It meant SF49s did not have a 4 point lead during normal time. The 3 point lead was easier to equalise and then subsequently via another field goal each, force extra time. If Chenal doesn't block that kick the Chiefs would have had to play differently to get back into the game. Mahomes has the skill to do it, but didn't need to due to the effort of Chenal.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 13, 2024, 6:30 am
Botman wrote: February 12, 2024, 8:41 pm
Matt wrote: February 12, 2024, 8:31 pm I've seen the winning play, plus about 3 others.

I see Greenlaw blew his achillies. I'm guessing this made a difference. Poor SOB gets a SB loss AND a horrible injury
Greenlaw injury absolutely CRITICAL to the game.
1. He was playing LIGHTS out. Man he was moving. He and Warner were just absolutely everywhere. Big part of the chiefs being held to 3 at the half

2. the guy who came in for Greenlaw... not great! didnt fit the run very well and im FAIRLY sure on the MVS touchdown he **** up. That was WIDE ASS open. Eager to hear some pods to know if anyone who knows more about x's and o's than me can explain it but my reading of that Coverage bust and i think he was supposed to carry the seam. Greenlaw is a very buttoned up player. He'd have not blown that assignment.

They also got Kelce going once Greenlaw left the game.

Yep, the Greenlaw injury was impactful
Cheers.
I still haven't watched more than the 6min highlights. No time
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I am a bit of an nfl / nba fan

To me nfl and league is like do you like bolognaise or creamy pasta it’s just different strokes for different blokes.

If anything it shows we needed to move on from wighton best case scenario wighton is Josh Allen, physically phenomenal but poor decision making at times.

Tbh I wouldn’t even give wighton that comp, but we need to unearth an awesome playmaker so going in a different direction is good.

Cracking game and good on machines for showing the world again how great he is.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I am a bit of an nfl / nba fan

To me nfl and league is like do you like bolognaise or creamy pasta it’s just different strokes for different blokes.

If anything it shows we needed to move on from wighton best case scenario wighton is Josh Allen, physically phenomenal but poor decision making at times.

Tbh I wouldn’t even give wighton that comp, but we need to unearth an awesome playmaker so going in a different direction is good.

Cracking game and good on mahones for showing the world again how great he is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

papabear wrote: February 14, 2024, 8:32 am I am a bit of an nfl / nba fan

Not sure what you're saying here. Bills should move on from Josh Allen?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Northern Raider wrote: February 14, 2024, 12:28 pm
papabear wrote: February 14, 2024, 8:32 am I am a bit of an nfl / nba fan

Not sure what you're saying here. Bills should move on from Josh Allen?
Josh Allen is a turn over machine, but he’s a game winner and probably in the top five QBs in the game.

I agree, with the dearth of quality QBs out there, the Bills aren’t letting Allen go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brandon Aiyuk's baby mumma and brother pretty open that he might not be back at SF next year, i dont know that i buy it, think they'll find a way to keep him but that roster is getting pretty expensive in a hurry
They've also got Kinlaw, Gipson, Feliciano, Young and might have been MVP Juan Jennings as key players from the team who are free agents.

And the Purdy contract, whatever the **** THAT is going to be, is only a year away, so they've got to keep the powder dry

The niners got a pretty healthy season out of 35 year old Trent Williams and Christian McCaffrey who's going to be 28 but already has a ton of milage on him and has at time struggled to stay healthy.

I am constantly reminded that in the NFL, unless you have Tom Brady/Pat Mahomes, there is no guarantees you'll get back.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Al Harris will remain at Dallas, Zimmer wants him, as does McCarthy
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: February 12, 2024, 9:09 pm First NFL game I've watched in my life, and only from Q4.

Nathan Cleary = Mahomes

Gridiron has to be the most complex sport,chess aside,to understand from scratch.
But if you give it time and perhaps watch the replays and minis so as to shorten the viewing time you’ll get over the too long tropes that new eyes can’t hurdle.

I recommend the GM shuffle podcast with Mike Lombardi.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 16, 2024, 2:16 pm Al Harris will remain at Dallas, Zimmer wants him, as does McCarthy
They had to block him from leaving though... so they might want him but he wanted to go with DQ
A few on the staff in that situation. Might be something to monitor if that Dallas season derails next year
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Bears have released former All-Pro safety Eddie Jackson

Isn't he good?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 16, 2024, 7:10 pm
Matt wrote: February 16, 2024, 2:16 pm Al Harris will remain at Dallas, Zimmer wants him, as does McCarthy
They had to block him from leaving though... so they might want him but he wanted to go with DQ
A few on the staff in that situation. Might be something to monitor if that Dallas season derails next year
Yup. Could derail things.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Cowboys are also not expected to tag free-agent-to-be running back Tony Pollard for the same $12,109,200, per Adam Schefter.

I'd say we grab a big name here...and hopefully it's the King
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 27, 2024, 7:00 pm The Cowboys are also not expected to tag free-agent-to-be running back Tony Pollard for the same $12,109,200, per Adam Schefter.

W… why?
The thing that terrifies me most is the eagles blow cap space on one of these big name RBs

Do you really think King Henry is the difference between the cowboys going out in the divisional round and winning a Super Bowl?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 7:12 pm
Matt wrote: February 27, 2024, 7:00 pm The Cowboys are also not expected to tag free-agent-to-be running back Tony Pollard for the same $12,109,200, per Adam Schefter.

W… why?
The thing that terrifies me most is the eagles blow cap space on one of these big name RBs

Do you really think King Henry is the difference between the cowboys going out in the divisional round and winning a Super Bowl?
We need a LB too.
I know an RB isn't taking us to the SB, but we are close, so a big piece or 2 might help
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 27, 2024, 9:06 pm

W… why?

We need a LB too.
I know an RB isn't taking us to the SB, but we are close, so a big piece or 2 might help
The Cowboys spending big on RB would be music to my ears. ****, why stop there, go an upgrade WR2, and spend money on a more reliable option outside CD. And whilst we're at it, lets get serious about TE! Fergy cant be upgraded. Lets load up on weapons bayyyyybeee!

Serious investment in DT, LB and OL would worry me.... so yeah, got and get King Henry. Love that for you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cowboys ain't spending big on a RB. They let Zeke go and banked on Pollard who did the job initially. Gave him a healthy contract in 2023 only to see his production go backwards. Don't forget they still carry $6m dead cap for Zeke in 2024. If they free up enough cap to sign some FAs them it will be going to other positions and they will play Moneyball at RB.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Getting pretty close to free agency and some tag news is starting to trickle out and there is a couple of interesting tag and trade candidates

Tee Higgins is already tagged, and being tagged this early is an sign to other GMs that if they want to get involved in a trade that the Bengals are open for business
Chiefs have indicated that Sneed is also going to get the tag and they're willing to work with trade partners is a long term deal cant be found.
Brian Burns also said to be going on the tag and he's super interesting because the Panthers knocked back two firsts from the Rams and still havent locked him up

All three of those guys are high level impact starters and could help a contender... Like they wouldnt do it because it's a direct SB contender, and i think the Chiefs like cost controlled weapons at this stage of their build, but imagine the Chiefs giving up the #32 to just skip the draft lottery and just grabbing Tee Higgins.

Winfield Jr is also in that group but i dont think he's getting tagged and traded, i think that's just a straight tag spot. Which is a shame, i was desperate to see him get to FA, as he's exactly what the eagles need on the back end of the defence.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 9:12 pm
Matt wrote: February 27, 2024, 9:06 pm

W… why?

We need a LB too.
The Cowboys spending big on RB would be music to my ears. ****, why stop there, go an upgrade WR2, and spend money on a more reliable option outside CD. And whilst we're at it, lets get serious about TE! Fergy cant be upgraded. Lets load up on weapons bayyyyybeee!

Serious investment in DT, LB and OL would worry me.... so yeah, got and get King Henry. Love that for you.
OL and DT is what the cowboy pundits are saying will be our draft. So within reason, got that. DTs - Michigans Jenkins, Texas's Sweat, Florida's Lovett and Miami's Taylor III all visiting at the combine.

LB is a little thin, so free agents. I'd say we will go name brand. We are looking at Penn States Jacobs at the combine. Last Penn State LB we got was handy 😎

Likewise RB... even though the Rd4-6 guys all seem to come up trumps.

WR... no idea what the plan is. I suppose it depends if Cooks comes back or not.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 28, 2024, 6:39 pm Getting pretty close to free agency and some tag news is starting to trickle out and there is a couple of interesting tag and trade candidates

Tee Higgins is already tagged, and being tagged this early is an sign to other GMs that if they want to get involved in a trade that the Bengals are open for business
Chiefs have indicated that Sneed is also going to get the tag and they're willing to work with trade partners is a long term deal cant be found.
Brian Burns also said to be going on the tag and he's super interesting because the Panthers knocked back two firsts from the Rams and still havent locked him up

All three of those guys are high level impact starters and could help a contender... Like they wouldnt do it because it's a direct SB contender, and i think the Chiefs like cost controlled weapons at this stage of their build, but imagine the Chiefs giving up the #32 to just skip the draft lottery and just grabbing Tee Higgins.

Winfield Jr is also in that group but i dont think he's getting tagged and traded, i think that's just a straight tag spot. Which is a shame, i was desperate to see him get to FA, as he's exactly what the eagles need on the back end of the defence.
Watching the Chargers with great interest. They are about $25m in the red against the cap and owe big money to quite a few players. Notably Bosa, Mack (both edge) and Williams, Allen (both WR). They all have very workable contracts so can restructure but the issue is Herbert's cap hit starts to really kick in from 2025. What's most intriguing is those 4 guys are very tradable commodities. Reckon they will be listening to any genuine offers, especially with Harbaugh coming in. He might want some cap flexibility and draft collateral to start working on his roster immediately.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've seen it reported in places that Mike Williams is very likely to be cap casualty and will be cut
Im sure they'll try and explore trade options but coming off an ACL, and other teams knowing that cap situation im not sure there will a team willing to bail them out with a pick. Allen is said to be staying but they might rework the deal

And yeah i think Bosa is very likely to face that fate too. They're in a real interesting spot. Going to take Harbough some time to get his guys in the building but i think they'll be pretty open to cutting bait with a lot of dudes
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

$140m cap hit for 4 guys who are 30+ makes no fiscal sense. Something has to give. Potential that none of those 4 are there in 2025.

Mack is an interesting one as they gave up a 2nd round pick for him a couple of years ago. While at 33 you would think he'd be in decline, except he's coming off a career high 17 sacks. What's his value going forwards?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: March 1, 2024, 8:20 am $140m cap hit for 4 guys who are 30+ makes no fiscal sense. Something has to give. Potential that none of those 4 are there in 2025.

Mack is an interesting one as they gave up a 2nd round pick for him a couple of years ago. While at 33 you would think he'd be in decline, except he's coming off a career high 17 sacks. What's his value going forwards?
I'd argue he's more valuable than Bosa, because of the production. But will the market agree?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: March 1, 2024, 9:01 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 1, 2024, 8:20 am $140m cap hit for 4 guys who are 30+ makes no fiscal sense. Something has to give. Potential that none of those 4 are there in 2025.

I'd argue he's more valuable than Bosa, because of the production. But will the market agree?
Issue is that production is an outlier. Didn't reach double digit sacks in previous 4 seasons. Also questions about his ability to repeat the production as a 33yo. Joey Bosa is 4 years younger which is always factored into these things. His injuries the last 2 seasons would be a concern though

If it were me I'd work out a small extension for Mack and trade Bosa. Use the next couple of years to find another Edge to bank on for longer term (which they may already have).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seen Texass Sweat 40yd dash???
6-foot-4, 366 pounds. 5.27!! WOOOOW!

For comparison:
Vita Vea (6-foot-4, 347 pounds) ran 5.10 seconds back in 2017.
Chris Jones (6-foot-6, 310 pounds) had a 5.03 40-yard dash time back in 2016.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 1, 2024, 4:47 pm Seen Texass Sweat 40yd dash???

For comparison:
I've made an effort to try and ignore the underware olympics as much as possible this year.
For the most part im skipping over combine pods and not paying much attention to it but Sweat and 'Chop' Robinson's numbers were a little eye popping.
Chop i think his tape lives up to those numbers, he's got a very quick get off. He's going to win as a pass rusher off the snap or not at at all.

T'vondre Sweat... just one of those 'not many people on earth' sort of dudes.
But as an eagles homer, i have to just have to add

For comparison:
T'vondre Sweat: 6'45, 366lbs, 5.27s dash, 1.8s split, 26in vert, 8'2 broad
Jordan Davis: 6'6, 341lbs, 4.78s dash, 1.68s split, 32in vert, 10'3 broad

i am begging Jordan Davis to get serious about his conditioning and allow Vic Fangio to take this athletic freak to a new level.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 1, 2024, 8:24 pm
Matt wrote: March 1, 2024, 4:47 pm Seen Texass Sweat 40yd dash???

For comparison:
I've made an effort to try and ignore the underware olympics as much as possible this year.
For the most part im skipping over combine pods and not paying much attention to it but Sweat and 'Chop' Robinson's numbers were a little eye popping.
Chop i think his tape lives up to those numbers, he's got a very quick get off. He's going to win as a pass rusher off the snap or not at at all.

T'vondre Sweat... just one of those 'not many people on earth' sort of dudes.
But as an eagles homer, i have to just have to add

For comparison:
T'vondre Sweat: 6'45, 366lbs, 5.27s dash, 1.8s split, 26in vert, 8'2 broad
Jordan Davis: 6'6, 341lbs, 4.78s dash, 1.68s split, 32in vert, 10'3 broad

i am begging Jordan Davis to get serious about his conditioning and allow Vic Fangio to take this athletic freak to a new level.
Davis is ridiculous!
Is 25lbs enough to explain the difference though? I'd say Davis is freakier
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Different levels of athleticism, but in saying that, Davis is going in year and has only flash... and those flashes have been, unreal, honestly. His first 6 weeks this year were some of the best DT play ive seen... but he did not have the conditioning to be a force later in the season. Carter suffered the same, got off hard to begin but once teams started to hit him double teams, he wasnt conditioned to hold up/

These big fellas in the middle of the DL take some time. And to that point, i dont think ya boys should give on Mazi Smith yet either, despite a very ordinary rookie year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pheagles releasing Byrd.

Sounds like we aren't paying for Henry either😥
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

"End of an era: #Cowboys All-Pro and Pro Bowl LT Tyron Smith will be a free agent and is unlikely to return to Dallas, sources say. The blindside protector since 2011, Smith will be highly coveted."
Via Ian Rappaport

Woooow!

"Cowboys have interest in re-signing LT Tyron Smith, but it became clear at combine the two sides stand drastically apart in the financial framework on how that could occur, two people close to matter said. Team not ruling out reunion. Would require a major divide to be bridged."
Per Michael Gehlken

I hate this so so so much. Make him RT (won't coz they were dumb and paid Steele), OR, make him the swing. Given him 1 last lap before a gold jacket.

Oh...
"Offensive tackle is the most likely position the Cowboys will address with their first-round pick next month. "
Via Jon Machota

Thanks Hayley... 😵
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Big loss, the cowboys low key have a lot of key openings on the starting units.
Big off season for them.
It's a great OT class and they've been excellent scouting the OL so i think they'll believe in themselves to draft and develop there.