NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

ooof yeah Josh Williams is good name! He should have been on my list. Dude can play ball
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ravens CRUSHED the draft
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well, they didn't take the TE I thought they would, but Ridgeway DT and Clark LB were on the late Rds talk.

Dallas have taken what's feels like a "home town" draft this yr. Most from the next state.

1st T Smith OT, Tulsa
2nd S Williams, DE, Ole Miss
3rd J Tolbert, WR, Sth Alabama
4th (J Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin)
5th (M Waletzko, OT, Nth Dakoda) < no idea
5th (D Bland, CB, Fresno St) < no idea
5th D Clark, LB, LSU
5th J Ridgeway, DT, Arkansas
6th D Harper, LB, Oklahoma St

I can see a role for all bar those 2. It's depth, but I like 2 or 3 guys below both better - not OL, but DBs for sure. If they wanted OL help, go get Kinnard ****. U have 4 5ths.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

How did Darian Kinnard fall to the 5th? He was a 2-3 G
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Eagles grabbed a super athletic TE who’s one more concussion away from being brain dead and already retired once but was otherwise a day 2 pick

Also grabbed Carson Strong as an UDFA
The dude can not move in the pocket, like a literal statue and his knee is apparently a massive medical red flag but he’s one of the better pure passers in this class imo
Real happy with that
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I knew he had a injury, but not another injury prone LBer....

If not for spinal fusion surgery in March to repair a herniated disk, Clark probably would have been drafted closer to the Cowboys' third-round grade on him.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

2022 Dallas Cowboys Undrafted Free Agents
Florida A&M S Markquese Bell (via Florida A&M Football)
UCF EDGE Big Kat Bryant (via Tom Pelissero)
Georgia Tech S Juanyeh Thomas (via Tom Pelissero)
USC CB Isaac Taylor-Stuart (via Matt Zenitz)
Indiana WR Ty Fryfogle (via Doug Kyed)
Texas A&M Commerce OL Amon Simon (via Aaron Wilson)
Harvard RB Aaron Shampklin (via Tom Pelissero)
Boston College C Alec Lindstrom (via Jennifer Toland)
Texas Tech K Jonathan Garibay (via Texas Tech Football)
Ole Miss WR Dontario Drummond (via Mike Kaye)
TCU S La’Kendrick Van Zandt (via Tom Pelissero)
Texas A&M LB Aaron Hansford (via Aaron Wilson)
BYU C James Empey (via James Empey)

The bolded guys should be handy
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lindstrom has a legit chance to win the center job imo
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 1, 2022, 10:35 am Lindstrom has a legit chance to win the center job imo
Yup. Biadaiz has a battle on his hands. I don't expect either to be considerably better than the other though. Just 2 solid options
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: May 1, 2022, 11:00 am
Botman wrote: May 1, 2022, 10:35 am Lindstrom has a legit chance to win the center job imo
Yup. Biadaiz has a battle on his hands. I don't expect either to be considerably better than the other though. Just 2 solid options
I had Lindstrom as a potential pick for Dolphins at 125. Here's the ting though. MikeApplebaum is our new O-Line coach and he coached Lindstrom at Boston. I thought the affiliation would have been quite solid. Instead he gets passed on with both the round picks and UDFA. Something going on that isn't obvious to us casual onservers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 1, 2022, 1:57 pm
I had Lindstrom as a potential pick for Dolphins at 125. Here's the ting though. MikeApplebaum is our new O-Line coach and he coached Lindstrom at Boston. I thought the affiliation would have been quite solid. Instead he gets passed on with both the round picks and UDFA. Something going on that isn't obvious to us casual onservers.
He was my 2nd C behind Linderbaum. I think others had others ahead of him. Something starting with E I think.

EDIT: no E was Ezeuda. A Guard.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Apparently Nakobe Dean is expected to be a full go at mini camp for the eagles... so as far as Dean and the Eagles seem to be concerned, the injury thing that saw him drop is a non factor... strange.

And thats an interesting tidbit about the Dolphins OL coach and Lindstrom, must be some stuff in his work up that scared teams off.

Spare a thought for Justyn Ross... 2 years ago he was a stone cold lock to be a big time, first round reciever... now due to congenital neck issue he goes undrafted. And i have to now wonder if he ever even gets a chance in the NFL... for a talent like him to go completely undrafted, that tells me there was a doctor in the league willing to sign off on him
Terrible for the kid.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: May 1, 2022, 3:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 1, 2022, 1:57 pm
He was my 2nd C behind Linderbaum. I think others had others ahead of him. Something starting with E I think.

EDIT: no E was Ezeuda. A Guard.
I never had him rated that high. Which was why I expect him to be there in the middle of the 4th round. Then again I thought Cole Strange was an option at 102.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

A SB QB is on the market...

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

The #Bears have agreed to release QB Nick Foles, his agent Justin Schulman confirmed. The team’s new regime decided to allow Foles to find his next home rather than continue to search for a trade partner. “Ryan Poles did the classy thing and Nick appreciates it,” Schulman said.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My draft grades for Giants and Panthers:

Giants

The Picks
• Kayvon Thibodeaux, OLB, first round, No. 5
• Evan Neal, OT, first round, No. 7
• Wan’Dale Robinson, WR, second round, No. 43
• Joshua Ezeudu, G, third round, No. 67
• Cor’Dale Flott, CB, third round, No. 81
• Daniel Bellinger, TE, fourth round, No. 112
• Dane Belton, safety, fourth round, No. 114
• Micah McFadden, LB, fifth round, No. 146
• D.J. Davidson, DT, fifth round, No. 147
• Marcus McKethan, G, fifth round, No. 173
• Darrian Beavers, LB, sixth round, No. 182

Day 1: A
Day 2: C
Day 3: B
Overall: B

Comments: Day 1 couldn’t have worked out much better. An A+ would’ve entailed the same two picks plus a trade down for more 2023 draft ammunition.
Day 2 left a lot to be desired. The first trade down (2 spots for a 5th) was a savvy move, but the second trade down (5 spots for a 5th) was a bridge too far, as both Kyler Gordon and Andrew Booth Jr were taken between those 5 spots. All three day 2 picks feel like reaches.
Day 3 - I’m not going to pretend I know these players, but they hit all the right positions - TE, S, LB (x2), another G, and DT.

Panthers

The picks
• Ikem Ekwonu, left tackle, first round, No. 6

• Matt Corral, quarterback, third round, No. 94

• Brandon Smith, linebacker, fourth round, No. 120

• Amare’ Barno, defensive end, sixth round, No. 189

• Cade Mays, offensive lineman, sixth round, No. 199

• Kalon Barnes, cornerback, seventh round, No. 242

Day 2: A
Overall: A-

Comments: Day 1 worked out beautifully, giving the Panthers their top OL choice. I was worried they would panic and reach for a QB, but alas my concerns were misguided.
Day 2 - with no day 2 picks, the Panthers had to trade up to pick Corral in the 3rd round. I love this pick as I was a big fan of Corral’s play at Ole Miss last year. I’m optimistic that this could turn out to be a steal.
Day 3 - again, I’m not going to pretend that I know these guys. But like the Giants, the Panthers picked all the right positions based on their needs - LB, DE, another OL, and a CB.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Giants declined the fifth-year option on QB Daniel Jones’ contract, per @diannaespn. Jones is now set to become a free agent after the 2022 season.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: May 2, 2022, 12:45 am My draft grades for Giants and Panthers:

Giants

The Picks
• Kayvon Thibodeaux, OLB, first round, No. 5
• Evan Neal, OT, first round, No. 7
• Wan’Dale Robinson, WR, second round, No. 43
• Joshua Ezeudu, G, third round, No. 67
• Cor’Dale Flott, CB, third round, No. 81
• Daniel Bellinger, TE, fourth round, No. 112
• Dane Belton, safety, fourth round, No. 114
• Micah McFadden, LB, fifth round, No. 146
• D.J. Davidson, DT, fifth round, No. 147
• Marcus McKethan, G, fifth round, No. 173
• Darrian Beavers, LB, sixth round, No. 182

Day 2: C
Overall: B

Comments: Day 1 couldn’t have worked out much better. An A+ would’ve entailed the same two picks plus a trade down for more 2023 draft ammunition.
Day 2 left a lot to be desired. The first trade down (2 spots for a 5th) was a savvy move, but the second trade down (5 spots for a 5th) was a bridge too far, as both Kyler Gordon and Andrew Booth Jr were taken between those 5 spots. All three day 2 picks feel like reaches.
Day 3 - I’m not going to pretend I know these players, but they hit all the right positions - TE, S, LB (x2), another G, and DT.

Panthers

The picks
• Ikem Ekwonu, left tackle, first round, No. 6

• Matt Corral, quarterback, third round, No. 94

• Brandon Smith, linebacker, fourth round, No. 120

• Amare’ Barno, defensive end, sixth round, No. 189

• Cade Mays, offensive lineman, sixth round, No. 199

• Kalon Barnes, cornerback, seventh round, No. 242

Day 2: A
Overall: A-

Comments: Day 1 worked out beautifully, giving the Panthers their top OL choice. I was worried they would panic and reach for a QB, but alas my concerns were misguided.
Day 2 - with no day 2 picks, the Panthers had to trade up to pick Corral in the 3rd round. I love this pick as I was a big fan of Corral’s play at Ole Miss last year. I’m optimistic that this could turn out to be a steal.
Day 3 - again, I’m not going to pretend that I know these guys. But like the Giants, the Panthers picked all the right positions based on their needs - LB, DE, another OL, and a CB.
Bellinger and Belton will be solid options IMO. I'm a little annoyed that yet again, Cowboys got a TE that we didn't look at due to NFC East getting the ones we did.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman's Comprehensive Draft Grades

Arizonaaaahhahahahha

Holy ****, the Eagles got Nakobe Dean in the THIRD round and traded for AJ Brown! WE win. We're going to live forever.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:Giants declined the fifth-year option on QB Daniel Jones’ contract, per @diannaespn. Jones is now set to become a free agent after the 2022 season.
Am I right to assume this is a sign they will probably draft a QB next year?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cardinals’ Pro-Bowl WR DeAndre Hopkins is being suspended six games for violating the NFL’s Performance Enhancing Drug policy, league sources tell ESPN.

Arizona is losing Hopkins to a six-game suspension, it lost Christian Kirk to Jacksonville during free agency, and it adds more insight into the Cardinals’ draft-day trade for former Ravens’ WR Marquise Brown.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: May 2, 2022, 10:29 pm
Matt wrote:Giants declined the fifth-year option on QB Daniel Jones’ contract, per @diannaespn. Jones is now set to become a free agent after the 2022 season.
Am I right to assume this is a sign they will probably draft a QB next year?
You'd have to think so
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Deal is now in place: Saints and Tyrann Mathieu officially reached agreement on a three-year, $33 million contract, including $18 million fully guaranteed, per sources. Language still needs to be finalized and the deal signed. But Mathieu is returning home to New Orleans.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ugh... that's super annoying. The Eagles really could have used him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

It will be interesting to see the contract structure. Saints had reworked deals to accommodate Deshaun Watson so no doubt they have created some space. They are already $42m in the red for 2023 and not a lot of contracts they can bail on. Kick the can further and further down the road while gradually reducing the cap hit and let big ticket free agents walk like Terron Armstead.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Double whammy for the Eagles - not only did they miss out on Mathieu, they also lost him to the Saints, whose 2023 1st round draft pick is owned by Philly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:24 am Double whammy for the Eagles - not only did they miss out on Mathieu, they also lost him to the Saints, whose 2023 1st round draft pick is owned by Philly.
Really good player however I don't see him being such a big difference maker that it will impact their finishing position. A lot of that will come down to how their offense plays out with Jameis Winston at QB and a rookie LT replacing Terron Armstead.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting point on the UDFA signing by Eagles. They picked up 2 x QBs in Carson Strong and EJ Perry. I was listening to a podcast previewing the 2022 QB class and both got a bit of air time. Strong apparently has serious medical issues with his knee and sounds like it's almost zero chance he will make it far enough for an NFL career. By contrast they were talking about the biggest sleeper in the draft and they flagged EJ Perry as the smokey.

Looks like Eagles are keen to get a young developmental QB in the system as evidence by them doubling down with UDFAs. They currently have a capable backup in Minshew and an uproven 3rd stringer in Reid Sinnett. Minshew is on a fairly low contract even for a backup. Sinnett is NFL minimum. Both can be cut with no cap hit. None of these guys are going to replace Hurts so if the Eagles wanted to do that they'll need to hit the 2023 class or trade for a vet.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They paid a lot to ensure they got Strong too.
Gave him $320k guaranteed... the medical red flags are well known but that's not money you hand to a UDFA unless you expect him to make your roster

Mario Goodrich, the CB from Clemson who probably should have got drafted also got $217k from the Eagles.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... om-eagles/
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 11:08 am
the bone wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:24 am Double whammy for the Eagles - not only did they miss out on Mathieu, they also lost him to the Saints, whose 2023 1st round draft pick is owned by Philly.
Really good player however I don't see him being such a big difference maker that it will impact their finishing position. A lot of that will come down to how their offense plays out with Jameis Winston at QB and a rookie LT replacing Terron Armstead.
Hmm I disagree with that. If he plays all 17 games, he’s enough of an upgrade on CJ Gardner-Johnson to net at least one additional win, which is enough to impact their finishing position.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: May 3, 2022, 11:50 am
Hmm I disagree with that. If he plays all 17 games, he’s enough of an upgrade on CJ Gardner-Johnson to net at least one additional win, which is enough to impact their finishing position.
Maybe 5 years ago he was good enough to give a team an extra win. His numbers for 2021 are very close to Gardner-Johnson and PFF ratings are also close. Not that big an upgrade to be banking on him being a game changer.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 1:37 pm
the bone wrote: May 3, 2022, 11:50 am
Maybe 5 years ago he was good enough to give a team an extra win. His numbers for 2021 are very close to Gardner-Johnson and PFF ratings are also close. Not that big an upgrade to be banking on him being a game changer.
He was a first team all pro only 2 years ago!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think the Honey Badger is a major needle mover any more. But he can certainly still play and his leadership and insticts will help the Saints
I would however doubt that any betting agencies moved their wins unders/over totals on that signing

Still my eagles now have a pretty signifcant hole at Safety and... there is not much on offer! We really did need the HB to come in here and be that competent vet.

Landon Collins might be worth a one year flier at this point. YIKES
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: May 3, 2022, 9:40 pm I dont think the Honey Badger is a major needle mover any more. But he can certainly still play and his leadership and insticts will help the Saints
I would however doubt that any betting agencies moved their wins unders/over totals on that signing

Still my eagles now have a pretty signifcant hole at Safety and... there is not much on offer! We really did need the HB to come in here and be that competent vet.

Landon Collins might be worth a one year flier at this point. YIKES
Safety is one of those spots that you can get away with someone half decent without really costing the team. I remember Dolphins trading Minkah Fitzpatrick a few years ago didn't have any notable impact on our defense. A lot of that was probably due to Xavien Howard having a breakout season at CB, which is a more critical spot.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Saints release Dalton, Jalen that is (DT)
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Chargers rounded out their defense with Bryce Callahan and Kyle Van Noy