:welcome:
WorkChoice
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Dusty »

Love golf, I get great value for money when i play, i always get more shots in then my mates
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I am surprised there wasn't a thread.

I was thinking the GH should have an annual day out if enough people where interested.

Not from Canberra but would make the trip, love the golf courses played at Federal and a few others been a while, 10 years would love to come down and have a day out with the GH faithful.
WorkChoice
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Golf Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

I'm a golfer, I'm a member of Kembla Grange golf club it's just south of Wollongong. I've been playing for about 4 years now love the game. It has to be one of the most unforgiving sports in the world.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Been a member of Richmond golf club on and off for the past 20 years.

I never really enjoyed the competition side of golf, play more for the enjoyment and like to play with mates and generally to get away from the daily grind.

No Mobiles.
WorkChoice
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Golf Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

I pretty much always play with a good mate of mine, it's not so much the competition side of things that attracts me to playing comp golf it's the speed of the game. Everything just flows better with groups in front on a comp day. Except for monthly medal days it normally a nightmare.in saying that I accually won my clubs monthly medal last time I played in it, so I shouldn't complain too much.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Man, I'm in for a golf day,

I'm just a hacker but played the Narooma open last weekend, love that course. I could post some pics if anyones interested.

Currently a member at Gungahlin Lakes
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Man, I'm in for a golf day,

I'm just a hacker but played the Narooma open last weekend, love that course. I could post some pics if anyones interested.

Currently a member at Gungahlin Lakes
Post them
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Three handicapper at Port Kembla Golf Club. :D
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

Michael wrote:Three handicapper at Port Kembla Golf Club. :D
now your just showing off.

as much as i hate watching the game on tele, a GH golf day would be fun!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Thought that we should organise a day out at Royal Canberra until I looked at their website.

How to Play at RCGCINTERSTATE and OVERSEAS VISITORS The Royal Canberra Golf Club (RCGC) is a private members' club and access for play is restricted almost exclusively to members and members of our reciprocal clubs and their guests. However, consideration can be given to requests from interstate or overseas visitors, if the approach is made through the visitor's home club and provides information confirming the person's registered handicap and good standing at the home club. Where approval for access is given in these circumstances, RCGC reserves the right to determine the fee to apply, the time and day of play and the course to be played. For enquiries please contact mark@royalcanberra.com.au

I have played at Federal and Gold Creek, and didn't have any problems getting on.

If people are interested in a GH golf day I will make some enquiries and set a date next year when its suits most people if enough people are interested.
WorkChoice
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I'm in LP
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I'm playing this saturday at Tuggerah Lakes Golf Club, Shelly Beach. I think we're playing Ambrose. I'm certain to sink more beers than putts.

Take a look at the website it shows a few photo's of the course http://www.tlgc.com.au/

Great views, I got married on the course a couple of years back.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

I was actyallu part of a team that won a charity golf day yesterday for the Leukemia Foundation at Murrumbidgee Country Club. 4 Ball Ambrose. I also collected a nearest the pin :) Ive only played their once before, also a 4-ball golf day / event, and won that too. Weird.

I would be keen for a hit if its in Canberra. I nominate Queanbeyan. It is hard, but very close to my house :D

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I haven't played since I played at Narooma a few years ago... wasn't that great but was all in good fun

looking to play again... at some stage
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Kyle 89 wrote:I'm playing this saturday at Tuggerah Lakes Golf Club, Shelly Beach. I think we're playing Ambrose. I'm certain to sink more beers than putts.

Take a look at the website it shows a few photo's of the course http://www.tlgc.com.au/

Great views, I got married on the course a couple of years back.
Kyle I go up the CC every year on holidays and play at Tuggerah Lakes, fantastic views will be a great day out for you, I wish I was there !
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

If anyone has any suggestions on where we could have a day out on the golf course other than Federal or Gold Creek in Canberra feel free to make any suggestions.

I am from Lower Portland which is 4 hours north of Canberra but am willing to make the trip down to have the day out.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Jason Day

Post by Begbie »

Has anyone on this forum been watching the Masters? I hadn't seen too much of Jason Day before this weekend, but gee he's impressed me. 4 shots down going into tomorrow, but still half a chance to become the first Aussie Winner of this tornament. From what I've seen, I reckon he'll feature in many more majors to come.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Begbie wrote:Has anyone on this forum been watching the Masters? I hadn't seen too much of Jason Day before this weekend, but gee he's impressed me. 4 shots down going into tomorrow, but still half a chance to become the first Aussie Winner of this tournament. From what I've seen, I reckon he'll feature in many more majors to come.

We all know how good he did at the Masters

And now the next major, the US Open- he pulls a second place after over 50 bogie free holes. That's three top ten finishes in a row at the majors- at just 23 years old. The kid is something special. Into the top ten now. Yet hardly anyone knows about him it seems (to me). Any other fans out there?

BTW - A bit of a boast, but I backed McElroy for the win (11.34)) and Jason Day (7.27) for a top 5 finish before the start of the US open - both did as told.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I played junior golf against Jason Day at interstate events - he was outrageously good then, he was basically playing a different game to the rest of us.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Bit of a hacker... But more than a bit of a hacker..

But I did manage a Birdie on my 2nd round. Up early this morning to play a round at North Turramurra.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Michael wrote:I played junior golf against Jason Day at interstate events - he was outrageously good then, he was basically playing a different game to the rest of us.
It's scary how good the kids are, basically if you are not on the tour by 18 you are too old.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
Michael wrote:I played junior golf against Jason Day at interstate events - he was outrageously good then, he was basically playing a different game to the rest of us.
It's scary how good the kids are, basically if you are not on the tour by 18 you are too old.
Guys like Day and McIlroy are exceptions though - once-in-a-generation talents. When we were sixteen, Day was probably the best amateur in the country of any age, and that was before he bulked up. Having said that, there are a lot of guys who I was in teams and state training-squads with who have all tried to go pro, and none of them have been even remotely successful. I was probably never going to be good enough and didn't have the dedication so it didn't bother me greatly, but there was a lot of heartbreak for the others.

It's hard to describe how good you really have to be. There's a long list of guys who literally won everything there was to win as an amateur in Australia who can't even crack it on the secondary tour in the US.
Last edited by Michael on June 23, 2011, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

yep, i've seen a few blokes here, one was the no 2 trainee in the country another won all the ball striking tests at the AIS, neither of them came close to doing anything with it.

Gavin Coles is probably the only exception when he jagged a tour card in that tournament and went on to go o.k. swapping between the main and secondary tours.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Was that Andrew McKenzie? He was from Canberra and an absolute machine as a junior who ended up going nowhere.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Brendan Jones does alright on the Japanese tour. Not sure how it measures up to the 2nd tier US tour or the European tour, but he is one of the top earning sportsman in Australia with barely any profile.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Yeh Jones goes good, it shows how hard it is when a bloke like that doesn't back himself to make it in the US, on as Raiders note I think he usually plays with Jason Croker when he's in town.

It wasn't mackenzie I was thinking of but i've seen him play, he was awesome,
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Begbie wrote:Brendan Jones does alright on the Japanese tour. Not sure how it measures up to the 2nd tier US tour or the European tour, but he is one of the top earning sportsman in Australia with barely any profile.
The money in Japan is good, but the level of competition is fairly poor, at least in relative terms. Interesting though, it's very hard for outsiders to establish themselves on the Japanese tour - aside from all the cultural things, the tour is organised in such a way to cater for the Asian players and make it hard for 'Westerners' to settle in, which is partly why you hear so little about it.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Anyone watching the Bridgestone World Championship Golf- PGA? Aussies are killing it. Just place a cheeky 20 on Jason Day.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Just put another 20 on Scott to hedge my bet : :o

But if Day wins a good profit i guess
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Adam Scott currently leading the Tour Championship with Jason Day tied for 3rd after 2 rounds.

If Scott wins the tournament and Luke Donald finishes no better than a tied for third than Scott will collect 10 million for his troubles.

Other results will have to go his way however would be a great achievement.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

10 million- that's unbelievable. Where is being taxed I wonder, Jamaica? I sure bet you its not Australia.

Day doing well again I see- he'll be the biggest draw-card in Australia this summer.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Day will win multiple majors.

Move over Tiger and Phill, Day and Rory will be the next rivalry in golf.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

What a choke by Scott last night- massive. 4 over and dropped 8 spots - that ten million looks unlikely now :lol:

Good thing is though, another Aussie, Baddeley (who I've always liked for being different) went 6 under to tie for 1st - also note that Day is still nicely poised at 2 behing the leaders coming into the final round- Might have a sneaky 50 on him actually.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Will be to much for Baddeley his driving stats are very poor, out of the aussies Day is the most likely seems to thrive on the pressure.

Put your money on Donald Begbie, over 400 holes without a three put should be consistent enough to take out the 10 mill.
WorkChoice