The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:I said it last night, you're not going to knock Gallen out, he's made a career of running head-first into **** smashing him around the head.

Hunt was the same, he was just a beefcake, you could've smashed a bottle over his head and he would've just shrugged it off.
Still holds true.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I said it last night, you're not going to knock Gallen out, he's made a career of running head-first into **** smashing him around the head.

Hunt was the same, he was just a beefcake, you could've smashed a bottle over his head and he would've just shrugged it off.
Still holds true.
Yeah. He doesn't have heavy hands but he's got a great chin and keeps moving forward. But even so he isn't fighting anyone in their prime. History shows that you can make a career and decent money if you're okay with the 'heel' role.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We can see Gallen is no bum. What we do need to see is him fight a genuine opponent. No more talking the up as a "former" this or an "ex" that. Problem is Gallen has too much to risk. If he takes on a contender and loses his career as a drawcard fighter is all but over. He may be able to eke out another main event with a return bout against Barry Hall. That's about it.

Browne was scheduled to challenge Justis Huni for the Australian title. Logical for Gallen to step in, which would be a massive drawcard. That's also Huni's best shot at a big payday on local soil.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: April 23, 2021, 7:33 am
BadnMean wrote:Worth noting that the "world title" he held is not even the highest best attainable within the WBA- he won one of four, yes four, given out by the WBA alone beneath their actual real champion belt. The _real_ WBA world titleholder is called the WBA Super Champion- so he briefly held one of four sub belts beneath the real WBA belt.
Really? How does this actually work? In this org each division has four belts? I can't even imagine how this would work.

I heard Gallen's jibes about 'not bragging about winning a reserve grade rugby league title' but I just assumed it was because WBA wasn't considered the strongest org (I don't know which org is considered the strongest).

The "super champion" is the real belt. But they can make more money by selling other fights as title fights to mugs if they make a bunch of other guys "champion" too and just install the super champ over the top. Title fights make money. Remember these aren't organised bodies trying to do their best for the sport, they are fig leaf companies operating with pay tv channels just to make money. Title fights sell.

I don't pretend to understand it. I don't think even they understand it. They have a super champ (real), a world champ (shrug?), a world gold champ (participation gold star) and sometimes an interim champ and a champ in recess (the latter two being temporary if other fighters abandon WBA belts to go fight for other networks for a time etc)

Brown reached the level of just below what would have been called "a contender" in the old days. Someone good enough to get some fights against someone who has fought some real champs. But he wasn't in the ring hismelf with the real contenders of the time (Klitschko x2, Haye, Byrd, Rahman, Valuev etc).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Valuev would have predated Browne's boxing career. He hasn't fought for more than 10 years and Browne was a late starter in boxing.

Yeah, boxing titles need to be taken with a grain of salt. There's always some kind of belt on the line for promo reasons.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

No one is looking to put Gallen in the ring with Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury. I would not even put him in the ring against Australian heavy weight champion Justis Huni. The former Australian Champion Faiga Opelu (beaten by Huni) may be looking for a Pay-for-view earner, but I doubt Gallen's handlers would put him in the ring against Opelu who is only in his late 20s.

I think Gallen is serious about boxing. I don't think it is in his interest to get into the ring against Pro boxers still in their prime. But he can earn some reasonable money by taking on opponents like Browne. He is a curiosity in boxing. One thing about Opelu though, is that although of Samoan descent he is a Queenslander and that could put a State of Origin feel to the promotion. I think Gallen would be crazy to take the option though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Huni wins on TKO in the 10th round. Huni too good all through but Gallen is tough as teak. Good luck to Huni at the Olympics. There is a rematch clause. Perhaps there will be Huni v Gallen 2 in a few months time. Huni outclassed Gallen and it would be a match for money only. It will not improve Huni's status in world boxing so other than money there is not much in it for him. Gallen is chasing money so I can see him going for the dollars after some months recovery time. From a health point of view I don't think it is in his interest to box on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Would like to have seen that. The blog reports suggest Huni was stringing out the knock out. I wasn’t paying to line Gallen’s pockets.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

If anyone wants to see the fight, just YouTube the old Simpson's episode where homer fights Drederick Tatum. Its about the same only there was no Moe to swoop in and save poor gallen from getting completely tenderised for 10 rounds.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/other-sports/boxing

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks. They should have stopped that a lot earlier.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Thanks. They should have stopped that a lot earlier.
good training fight for Huni before the Olympics

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I backed Huni by decision. I was hopeful when it got to the 10th round, although not confident. It felt like Huni was treating it as an extended sparring session and was ready to finish it when it got to the 10th. The class difference between the two was blatantly obvious.

In regards to a rematch. Imagine both would be keen from a financial perspective. No reason for the fight from a boxing perspective. Gallen won't be getting any better while Huni will. The gap between the 2 will only be larger. Also think Huni would aim to stop him inside 4. Not a great prospect for Gallen.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Thanks. They should have stopped that a lot earlier.
I agree. I backed Huni to win within 6 rounds
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If Gallen would like to take another savage beating for another pay day then all power to him
Im no boxing expert but from what i have seen of this fight, he doesnt have a **** prayer of ever beating Huni
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:If Gallen would like to take another savage beating for another pay day then all power to him
Im no boxing expert but from what i have seen of this fight, he doesnt have a **** prayer of ever beating Huni
The only advantage Gallen has held over any of his previous opponents is fitness / stamina. I don't think he has heavy hands at all, but just keeps coming forward. He should stick to 'exhibition type' opponents instead.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: June 17, 2021, 10:14 am
Botman wrote:If Gallen would like to take another savage beating for another pay day then all power to him
The only advantage Gallen has held over any of his previous opponents is fitness / stamina. I don't think he has heavy hands at all, but just keeps coming forward. He should stick to 'exhibition type' opponents instead.

Gallen's previous opponents were all sluggers too. He was happy climbing into the trenches with them as he would always win the attrition battle because of his strong motor and natural toughnes. This was the first time he'd faced anybody with genuine speed and skill. Bottom line was he could neither defend nor attack against with any success.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Gallen would be a sore boy today. He said after the fight that he thought he had broken ribs from early in the contest. The difference between a young, fit, skillful, fast opponent and what Gallen has previously fought, was too much for him. I hope he decides to give it away or follow gergreg's advice and only fight exhibitions. He went 10 rounds with the Aussie Champion so I don't think he has anything left to prove.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I highly doubt Gallen would be listening to gerg at all, to be perfectly honest.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 17, 2021, 2:14 pm I highly doubt Gallen would be listening to gerg at all, to be perfectly honest.
I doubt he gets out of bed without asking Gerg what he thinks about it
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Gotta tip your hat to a guy going into 10 rounds of that with significant disadvantages in weight, height, age and skill. Especially with the early and repeated rib shots.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Gallen doesn't listen to gerg at all.

I only watched the highlights after I posted previously and really he shouldn't go back for a second helping of that beating.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nobody likes gerghouse!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I like gerghouse

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:I like gerghouse

Thanks Dubby. Even my own family dislikes me so that's warming.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: June 17, 2021, 7:24 pm I like gerghouse

I was saying boogerg
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Aussie Andrew Moloney lost by unanimous points decision against World Title holder Joshua Franco today. This time apparently no doubts about the decision. Moloney has only lost twice in his career and both were world title shots against Franco.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Gypsy King Tyson Fury retained his title with a KO of Deontay Wilder. Even though knocked down twice in one round Fury refused to be intimidated out of it. This was a war. The third time the two had fought and the 2nd time Fury has knocked out Wilder. This time in the 11th round.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/fur ... 58yr2.html
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu fights tomorrow night. By all accounts a tough opponent. I listened to Tszyu speak over the weekend and he has taken the fight to keep his skills sharp for a World Title shot in a couple of months time. I don't think this will be one way traffic for Tim. Hopefully he wins and he gets his title shot in early 2022.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's reasonably testing for what would otherwise have just been a "tune up fight". I think it's a good for for Tszyu as Inuoe is certainly a credible opponent, he's ranked 15th/6th in a couple of decisions. It's a good "middle step" up to some serious foreign fighters rather than just beating up the locals here. He's beyond that.

I'll be keen to see if Tszyu can stop him. No one has ko'd Inoue yet (to my knowledge).
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Takeshi Inoue has a record of 17-1-1. The only loss was a points decision so he has a good defence and is expected to give Tim Tszyu a real battle. I think Tim's handlers are doing the right thing in picking tough opposition for him. We have seen others come through without being really tested and then are not able to perform in the big bouts. It should be a good contest.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Clear win on points to Tim Tszyu. A very good display of boxing by Tszyu against a very tough opponent. Only a couple of close rounds with the Australian clearly the better boxer but he could not put Inoue away with a ko. Onward and Upward for Tim Tszyu.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australia has a new World Champion in the lightweight division. In one fight George Kambosos wins the IBF, WBA and WBO titles against now former champion Teofimo Lopez. He won on a split points decision. He went into the bout with a 19-0 win record as a professional but had not fought many high rated opponents. He has now and as World Champ can earn some good money before the inevitable rematch.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/teo ... 59ct4.html
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Paul Gallen had too much skill and fitness for Darcy Lussick. In other news BJ was too good for Heighington.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Plenty of good fighters to follow in the boxing this year. We've got someone decent in almost every division. Looking forward to announcements soon about who's next for Tim Tszyu, Justis Huni, Jai Opetaia and George Kambosos in particular. Big year coming up.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.