From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by BadnMean »

That's fair I guess.

Tszyu won't get the chance to unify the belts- and chances like that are hens teeth. Trying to grab the belts one by one, as a small market boxer will be extremely difficult logistically. You can already see how hard it is to negotiate with these kinds of guys. Even a deal isn't a deal. Tszyu spent 18 months as the mandatory for this guy.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BnM, once Tim has the WBO belt then there will be any number of challengers for the title. There will be plenty of Americans who will want to get the belt and that will further build Tim's profile in the USA. If it is to be Brian Mendoza for the WBC and WBO belts then it fills the bill of meeting an American and a step towards unification of the belts.

A lot will depend on what the WBC, WBA and IBF decide to do with Charlo once he steps out of this weight division. If they follow the lead of the WBO then it opens a path for Tim to have a series of fights to unify the belts and makes him a target for Spence and Crawford and maybe even Charlo who could rightly say that he was never beaten for the belts and may want to get them back. After all the shenanigans with Charlo what a grudge fight that would be.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: August 4, 2023, 7:56 am BnM, once Tim has the WBO belt then there will be any number of challengers for the title. There will be plenty of Americans who will want to get the belt and that will further build Tim's profile in the USA. If it is to be Brian Mendoza for the WBC and WBO belts then it fills the bill of meeting an American and a step towards unification of the belts.

A lot will depend on what the WBC, WBA and IBF decide to do with Charlo once he steps out of this weight division. If they follow the lead of the WBO then it opens a path for Tim to have a series of fights to unify the belts and makes him a target for Spence and Crawford and maybe even Charlo who could rightly say that he was never beaten for the belts and may want to get them back. After all the shenanigans with Charlo what a grudge fight that would be.
Sure there's a path. But that's a path of several years (3 at least I'd estimate) with several high risk fights to unify them- negotiation shennanigans aside. I'm more lamenting the fact he was previously one single fight away from potentially doing that.

His profile will build yes. But the networks generally favour big market fighters- UK, Mexico, USA. There's a feeling the eastern euopeans get robbed an awful lot (Kovalov, GGG, Lomachenko etc etc) and Tim might find himself in that category. Popular as he is in Australia, it is more lucrative to have a champ from those major markets. Just makes the negotiation shennanigans and risk of quirky decisions much higher, imo.

I'd love it if I;m wrong and the USA falls in love with Tzsyu and he cleans it all up in 18 months. History suggests boxing rarely works that way. That's why unifying is so hard.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think a lot will depend on him staying injury free. Particularly to his hands. If he can maintain a 3 fight per annum tempo and at least 2 of them are American I reckon he can unify the belts. If the American, Mendoza, is the next opponent in October 2023 and Tim wins, which I think he will, that will likely be 2 belts to his name if the WBC has stripped Charlo of his WBC belt as well.

Then a defence against Conwell, who I think he will beat, or Ramos or Fundora - all Americans - prior taking on the talented but relatively inexperienced Madrimov for the WBA belt and then the big one and toughest of contests against Murtazaliev for the IBF belt. Who knows, Charlo might have stuck his hand up by that stage. So could Spence or Crawford. No shortage of big name opponents as long as he has the belts to lure them.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Charlo unhappy about being stripped of the WB0 belt once he steps into the ring against Alvarez due to him moving up 2 weight divisions. If only the other boxing organisations would do the same. It is his decision and no one else, to move out of the super welter weight/junior middle weight division and box at super middle weight.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... 4364c03336
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim is right imo, about Charlo holding up the 154 pound weight division. The WBO have given him every opportunity to defend against the mandatory challenger and he goes for a big pay day instead. Classic case of money or the belt. Charlo chose the money. Interesting he looks to be baiting Terence Crawford to box at 154 pounds. It will be interesting to see what the WBA, WBC and IBF do with their belts once Charlo goes up 2 weight divisions to go against Canelo.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/08/ti ... -division/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu v Brian Mendoza will happen in Australia on October 15, at a venue to be named. A big test against the hard hitting Mendoza.

https://www.boxingscene.com/tim-tszyu-v ... ty--177185
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Mendoza-Tszyu fight on October 15 will be on the Gold Coast. Go get him Tim. The fight will be a battle of heavy hitters but I reckon Tim moves slightly better so all going to plan he should be hit less often. The advantage of being a heavy hitter though is that sometimes it only takes a single big hit to set up the win.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

'Canelo' Alvarez as expected beat Jermell Charlo on points over 12 rounds. The score cards were 118-109, 118-109 and 119-108. A decisive unanimous victory for Alvarez. It will be interesting to see what all of the boxing organisations do now. Do they strip Charlo of the Junior Middleweight belts as the WBO have done? Tim Tszyu's bout with Mendoza will determine the immediate future at this weight division.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jai Opetaia has successfully defended his IBF Cruiser weight title in London against Jordan Thompson. Thompson is much taller than Opetaia but it made no difference against the power of Opetaia who won via TKO in the fourth round with the Ref stopping the bout after a knock down of Thompson by the Sydney born southpaw.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/im- ... 4c8cf9c882
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu retains his WBO super Welter weight title by Unanimous decision over Brian Mendoza. 116-111, 116-112, 117-111. Mendoza has a great chin, but Tim was the aggressor all fight and although he copped some good shots he gave out some of his own big shots. Mendoza cut under his right eye and kept throwing big shots right until the end hoping for Punchers luck, but it was not to be for him. Tim Tszyu onwards and upwards.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+tsz ... zKgwI,st:0
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The IBF announced that Jermell Charlo has been given an ultimatum to set up a fight with Bakhram Murtazaliev next, with the pair given until November 9, 2023 to reach a deal. If they do not reach a deal then Charlo will lose the IBF belt at Super Welterweight. That would potentially set up a bout for Tim Tszyu against the tough Murtazaliev for the IBF title. German fighter Jack Culcay may already have an agreement to fight Murtazaliev. Tim would likely have to put his WBO belt on the line to jump Culcay.

I just don't see that Charlo has any choice but to take this fight. If he doesn't then he loses the belt and his poor performance against Canelo Alvarez will mean he is no longer as attractive for the big dollar fights. It is only a matter of time before the WBC and WBA also set demands on Charlo. Tim beating Brian Mendoza, who was the interim WBC belt holder, means he would be No.1 in the WBC to Charlo and next best American Charles Conwell. It would be a very good fight against the undefeated Conwell.

https://www.boxingscene.com/jermell-cha ... ht--178395

https://wwos.nine.com.au/combat-sports/ ... d8cbefe20c
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Charlo may not want to fight Bakhram Murtazaliev if he goes through this highlights reel. Fast and heavy hands explains a lot as to why he is undefeated and has been the mandatory challenger for Charlo's IBF belt since 2019. He will be a handful for anyone. Even Tim.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bakhram ... d__q4,st:0
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In the battle of the heavy weights Tyson 'Gypsy King' Fury has outpointed former MMA heavy weight champion Francis Ngannou over 10 rounds. It was very close. Fury being put on the deck by Ngannou with a left hook in the third round.

Fury, the undefeated WBC Champion, will now attempt to unify all the belts with a match against Oleksandr Usyk on December 23. Fury is much bigger than Usyk but Usyk is very hard to hit. It will be brute force and knock out power v a skilled boxer in Usyk who likely land more punches than Fury.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Happy Birthday Tim Tszyu - 29 today
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The IBF has stripped Terence Crawford of his Welterweight title claiming he has not met an arrangement to defend his title against Jaron Ennis. Crawford only won the IBF belt in July when he beat Errol Spence for the IBF, WBA, WBC belts and unified the division. Crawford has a re-match clause with Spence which the IBF does not recognize. The IBF have said:

Per the IBF:

"IBF Rule 3.B. Return Bouts states: ‘No contract for a Championship contest shall contain any clause or any provision, whatsoever, guaranteeing or in any way assuming or promising either contestant a return Championship contest where such cause or provision interferes with the mandatory defense of a title. Based on the forgoing, the IBF has withdrawn recognition of Terence Crawford as the IBF Welterweight world champion."

This is such a joke because Bakhram Murtazaliev has been the No.1 IBF contender at super Welterweight since 2019 and Jermell Charlo has dodged him since then but Charlo still has the belt. Charlo and Murtazaliev were to have come to an agreement by 9 November to arrange their bout, but there has been nothing from either camp. So far the IBF have not stripped Charlo of his belt. If they had then I reckon Tim Tszyu would have had his hand up for that belt as well as the WBO belt he currently holds.

So Crawford has had the IBF belt for four months and gets stripped because he is yet to arrange a bout against the mandatory challenger, yet Charlo has held the IBF belt for four YEARS and is not stripped for failing to make a bout with the mandatory challenger. Stinks for Crawford who is a genuine contender for best pound for pound boxer on the planet.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: November 11, 2023, 6:25 am The IBF has stripped Terence Crawford of his Welterweight title claiming he has not met an arrangement to defend his title against Jaron Ennis. Crawford only won the IBF belt in July when he beat Errol Spence for the IBF, WBA, WBC belts and unified the division. Crawford has a re-match clause with Spence which the IBF does not recognize. The IBF have said:

Per the IBF:

"IBF Rule 3.B. Return Bouts states: ‘No contract for a Championship contest shall contain any clause or any provision, whatsoever, guaranteeing or in any way assuming or promising either contestant a return Championship contest where such cause or provision interferes with the mandatory defense of a title. Based on the forgoing, the IBF has withdrawn recognition of Terence Crawford as the IBF Welterweight world champion."

This is such a joke because Bakhram Murtazaliev has been the No.1 IBF contender at super Welterweight since 2019 and Jermell Charlo has dodged him since then but Charlo still has the belt. Charlo and Murtazaliev were to have come to an agreement by 9 November to arrange their bout, but there has been nothing from either camp. So far the IBF have not stripped Charlo of his belt. If they had then I reckon Tim Tszyu would have had his hand up for that belt as well as the WBO belt he currently holds.

So Crawford has had the IBF belt for four months and gets stripped because he is yet to arrange a bout against the mandatory challenger, yet Charlo has held the IBF belt for four YEARS and is not stripped for failing to make a bout with the mandatory challenger. Stinks for Crawford who is a genuine contender for best pound for pound boxer on the planet.
Just Lol at the IBF.
Strip the belt, sanction another champ, collect fees from him for sanctioning, rinse, repeat.

They probably realised they'll go hungry for years waiting for Charlo to actually fight for his belts these days. So just manoeuvred a quick collect.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BnM I just don't get the inconsistency of outcomes between Crawford and Charlo. Charlo seems to be untouchable for some reason. Only the WBO so far have acted against the Charlo inactivity. All of the Boxing Organisations have their issues but the IBF now looks like the International Boxing Farce with this dumb Crawford decision.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

A purse bid has now been ordered for the potential Charlo v Murtazaliev IBF belt match. This means the fighters, most likely Charlo, could not agree on their promoters money offer. So now it is up for any promoter to put up more money. I doubt Charlo will accept a fight with Murtazaliev but time will tell. If he does not fight the mandatory challenger then the belt will be stripped from him. The purse bid for the IBF belt will be held on 21 November 2023.

https://www.boxingscene.com/charlo-murt ... ht--179172
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jermell Charlo has now vacated the IBF Super Welter Weight title rather than face the mandatory challenger Bakhram Murtazaliev. This leaves Charlo with only the WBC and WBA belts in this weight division. It cannot be much longer before those organisations order him to defend the belts or vacate them. Murtazaliev apparently has a contract to fight Culcay from Germany for the IBF belt. Imo Murtazaliev will win that easily.

Brian Mendoza was the No1 contender for the WBC belt and Tim Tszyu has beaten him so should that belt be vacated then it would be possible that Tim could face Charles Conwell for that title. Conwell now being the no1 WBC contender. Given the WBO's record on title defenses though, Tim will have to meet the UK's Josh Kelly to defend the WBO title soon.

https://www.boxingscene.com/jermell-cha ... ev--179419
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Looks like Jermell Charlo is at the stage of his career where he has enough money (post Canelo) to sit and be patient with his last couple of fights. Looking for the big money, big legacy only- I suspect he'll wait for Crawford to finish his rematch and see if he can line that up.

He's not interested in fighting dangerous guys like Tszyu or Murtalaziev for mid sized paychecks anymore, even if he loses a belt or two through inaction.

WBC will probably let him string things out as long as he wants. WBO might strip him first.

I doubt ever we'll see Tszyu v Jermell unless Tszyu manages to unite all the belts bar WBC and do so in enough style that he's a p4p megastar and Charlo wants one last fight in a couple of years.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: November 22, 2023, 9:40 am Looks like Jermell Charlo is at the stage of his career where he has enough money (post Canelo) to sit and be patient with his last couple of fights. Looking for the big money, big legacy only- I suspect he'll wait for Crawford to finish his rematch and see if he can line that up.

He's not interested in fighting dangerous guys like Tszyu or Murtalaziev for mid sized paychecks anymore, even if he loses a belt or two through inaction.

WBC will probably let him string things out as long as he wants. WBO might strip him first.

I doubt ever we'll see Tszyu v Jermell unless Tszyu manages to unite all the belts bar WBC and do so in enough style that he's a p4p megastar and Charlo wants one last fight in a couple of years.
BnM, It will be a slug fest when Murtazaliev and Tim Tszyu meet for the belts should either be interested in full unification. Tim is looking for big matches in Vegas so if he puts his WBO belt on the line I reckon the likes of the American WBC No1 contender Charles Conwell would jump at it. If the WBC do the logical thing and follow the WBO and IBF in demanding that Jermell Charlo defend against the No.1 contender or give up the belt then I reckon Charlo will again give up the belt. After his fight against Canelo Alvarez I doubt he has many pay for view fans left. He will have trouble getting Crawford into the ring following Crawfords comments that he does not want to fight someone who doesn't try and he was referring to Charlo.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'd love to see Tszyu v Murtaz for the belts.

WBC chief is on record as saying they "support Charlo unconditionally and will give him all the time he needs" to loaf around without facing defences and still never strip him. So I wouldn't hold my breath there.

I'm not sure fans will hold it against him disappointing v the much bigger Canelo, when he also stepped in at short notice to save the fight. We'll see.

Yeah Crawford may not want him, but that's the kind of fight I see Charlo wanting now- big money big name. Whether or not he deserves it is another matter, but that's the level he sees himself at imo and that's what he'll wait or angle for.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Typical win by Nikita; all action stand and bang from round 1. All that we like to watch about him on show.

All the same faults which imo will hold him back from international honours also on show- Biggs dropped him within 30 seconds with a couple of straight rights. No shame getting dropped by Biggs- he can hit and he's good. But Nikita is so hittable, defence is poor (or not even on his thought process). It was just a standard combo to get into the round/fight and he got stunned, didn't react defensively and then dropped.

Loved watching it though, Nikita may become the PPV star because I'd watch that fight any day of the week. Great excitement, two big punchers just trading hell for leather. Nikita was stronger on the end but Biggs gave an excellent account of of it.

I wonder if Biggs had gone for a more conservative style he might have been able to steal the fight and outbox Tsyu. Instead he tried to overpower Nikita and eventually lost that battle.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It looks like Biggs has a broken wrist from his bout with Nikita Tszyu. The Biggs camp will have to teach him how to move to avoid being hit and then counter punch. I think Biggs has a successful future in the sport if he can develop some evasive skills to go with his power shots. I think he also needs to look at his training regime. He looked gassed by Round 4 and ripe for his defeat in the 5th.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/combat-sports/ ... b06d338d1c
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Some further news about an Australia v America fight night to co-incide with the opening of the NRL in Las Vegas. Unfortunately it appears no one can find Jermell Charlo who, it is reported, did not watch his brother Jermall fight on the weekend. Twin brother Jermall beat Jose Benavidez Jr on points over 10 rounds in a unanimous decision. Interesting that Jermall did not make the middle weight limit of 160 pounds for this fight.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2023/11/25/ ... -news-2023

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/whe ... 8392919798
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

IBF playing its silly games again, this time with Australia's Cruiser weight world champion Jai Opetaia. If he goes ahead with a big money fight in Saudi Arabia instead of rematch against the Latvian Mairis Briedis he took the title from, then he will be stripped of the title. Interesting that the IBF have Opetaia as the Champion but no number 1 or 2 contender for the Cruiser weight division. That in itself is a joke.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... 4f61f310dd

https://box.live/boxing-rankings/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jermell Charlo charged with misdemeanor assault

https://www.espn.com.au/boxing/story/_/ ... or-assault
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Usyk v Fury for the undisputed heavy weight title now set for February 17 in Saudi Arabia. To me this is beauty v beast. The silky southpaw skills of Usyk v the size and power of Fury. Usyk will definitely have the fitness to go the distance whereas there is some doubt on that for Fury. Fury will be looking to end it early but he has to catch Usyk to be able to tag him. That is probably the thinking behind Fury calling Usyk a Rabbit. He wants him to stand and fight but Usyk is a boxer and he will use all of the ring and his skill to build up points on Fury.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/tyson-fury-di ... 36241.html
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: January 3, 2024, 12:58 pm Usyk v Fury for the undisputed heavy weight title now set for February 17 in Saudi Arabia. To me this is beauty v beast. The silky southpaw skills of Usyk v the size and power of Fury. Usyk will definitely have the fitness to go the distance whereas there is some doubt on that for Fury. Fury will be looking to end it early but he has to catch Usyk to be able to tag him. That is probably the thinking behind Fury calling Usyk a Rabbit. He wants him to stand and fight but Usyk is a boxer and he will use all of the ring and his skill to build up points on Fury.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/tyson-fury-di ... 36241.html
Interesting bout.

Fury has a huge skillset for a big guy. Cab box off either stance, inside or outside, a whole range of dirty tricks and wrestling in the clinch, fight off the back foot defensively or now very dangerous coming forward with power since bringing in Sugar Hill for the Cronk style adaptation and sitting down on his punches more when desired.

Thing is- he shows up unfit half the time and looks awful. I don't mean his weight, I mean untrained. When he's dialled in he can go 12 no problems- he was stronger in round 12 vs Wilder I even when he was half undercooked on his comeback. Then he just looked like a slob vs Ngannou.

I think you're right, Usyk will use his exemplary footwork to try and keep Fury moving and find opportunities. It is very, very rare Fury finds himself in the ring vs someone with just as good a skillset and even better footwork. I think that's why he's been avoiding this fight for years- he knows Usyk can make him look silly in ways no other heavyweight can. He's struggled with mobile southpaws before (Wallin).

Fury often relies on bullying in the clinch to tire and wear down his opponent- very successfully since he's also got a great inside game when getting in tight. Ngannou was big and strong enough and better in the wrestle from MMA so Fury looked a but lost with that avenue taken away. Usyk will need to take it away by moving well all night. How the ref handles the clinch will also be important.

Fury can beat Uysk by fighting long and backing his skills to win rounds off the jab and boxing skill- if you can do that vs Vlad you can do that vs anyone. Or he can win by as you suggest backing his power to just land enough to get Usyk rocked and overpower him.
To beat the former Usyk needs to put on a movement, distance and angles masterclass and may the best man win. To beat the latter Fury will offer him opportunities to counter and then it'll get real interesting.

The Fury who showed up for Wilder II beats Usyk imo. The Fury who showed up vs Ngannou gets beaten. I'm backing Fury to turn up dialled in and a great match.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't know that Fury has been in against anyone with the evasive skill and speed of Usyk BnM. If he gets frustrated he will lunge after Usyk and Usyk will counter punch and move all night. Fury will be looking to cut off the ring and if possible keep him in a corner. Agree with your assessment of the Ngannou fight and Fury's fitness level. I think he was surprised that Ngannou could take his best shots and come back for more. May the best man win.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: January 4, 2024, 12:10 am I don't know that Fury has been in against anyone with the evasive skill and speed of Usyk BnM. If he gets frustrated he will lunge after Usyk and Usyk will counter punch and move all night. Fury will be looking to cut off the ring and if possible keep him in a corner. Agree with your assessment of the Ngannou fight and Fury's fitness level. I think he was surprised that Ngannou could take his best shots and come back for more. May the best man win.
No he hasn't been in with anyone with that evasive skill. Usyk is unique in HW in that regard- there's simply no one else. Most HWs these days tend to be giant "super heavies", with Uysk a remarkably skilled and agile cruiser, let alone heavy.

And I think that is why Fury has been wary of this fight- I honestly think he wanted Usyk to have a few more years (38 now?) and hope he took some damage in tough fights before he faced him. See if that slowed him down.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

February 17 will be good for us BnM. The Raiders first trial game and the Heavy Weight title bout.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: January 4, 2024, 6:52 pm February 17 will be good for us BnM. The Raiders first trial game and the Heavy Weight title bout.
Love it :thumbsup

For the record, I back Fury over Usyk, if he turns up good. Despite all his shennanigans and how turned off I've got over his fight avoiding the last few years I have enjoyed watching Fury revive HW as a division so much I kinda hope he delivers...

(and I think usyk is an incredible boxer, so it'll be remarkable either way)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Still no confirmation of Tim Tszyu's next opponent although American Virgil Ortiz has come up to his division and called him out. Ortiz manager Oscar De La Hoya is looking for a big event also including George Kambosis and Jason Moloney. They are looking to have this in Australia.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/let ... d233bb3f0f