The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Claims of a 'long count' robbing Liam Wilson of the title after he knocked down Navarrete in Rd 4. We'll have to see what comes of the protest but usually there is no change in result and another fight is arranged. Wilson eventually stopped by Navarrete in Rd 9.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/wil ... 5chwy.html
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Count looked about right- ref's checking process after the standing 8 was pretty quick actually (see Fury vs Wilder fights for far slower process after a knockdown applied to both fighters), they bought about 4 seconds with the mouthguard stall but nothing you don't see in all kinds of fights.

Wilson almost had him. I'd love to see a rematch.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I expect there will be a rematch BnM. Hopefully they can negotiate the venue to be in Australia. Some local crowd support would be good for Wilson.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We have a new World Champion. Tim Tszyu wins with a 9th round TKO over Tony Harrison. Tim the harder puncher. This will set up the fight with Charlo for all of the belts. A series of right upper cuts from Tim finished Harrison but Tim had looked to be well in front going into the 9th round. Congratulations Tim. His brother Nikita also won on the under card.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Brilliant fight
Dominated and was very patient.

Finished it with 5 upper cuts in a row.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Great fight from Tim, Harrison looked like he was getting back in the fight in 5/6 but Tim kept calm and stayed with the plan.

It looked like a matter of time when Tim kept hitting those big shoots
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Watched the extended highlights and dont pretend to know much about the sport but at the point where Tszyu had his glove into the chin of Harrison and he held it there for what felt like a full 3 seconds as he lined up the haymaker... i felt like maybe the fight should have been stopped. :lol:

It's a tough game this boxing lark.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Boxing Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

It was the first knockdown of the fight, if he kept his feet and been able listens to the ref during the standing 8 count they would have let Tim punch him in the head a few more times before calling it.

For all the rubbish the UFC cop, they would have stopped that fight earlier and Harrison would have avoided a extra punches to head when his eyes rolled.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Only the Ref or Harrisons corner can stop the contest early. It was not going to come from his corner because I think they genuinely believed the prefight 'trash talk' that Tim was only there due to his fathers name. Both Tim and reality struck in the second round when he was shaken by Tim and I think the force of Tim's punches took his confidence away.

Later in the fight I think Harrison was regretting his prefight baiting of Tim by calling him Timothy repeatedly after being corrected by Tim he continued to goad him. At the end of the fight Tim was saying to the World 'What's my ..... name?" It was a direct reference to the Harrison trash talk.

Charlo holds all of the belts for a reason though. He will trash talk too. It is what he does, but he can back it up and is a harder puncher than Harrison. The bout will be in America and that means the majority of the crowd will be supporting their champion. Charlo is still recovering from a broken hand. Tim is the mandatory challenger. I would not expect this bout before July.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu to have a 'warm up' fight against Carlos Ocampo on June 18 prior to the World Title clash with Jermell Charlo.
Ocampo is ranked 8 in the WBC rankings. I don't see a lot of up side in this for Tim. He will be expected to win. Ocampo has had 22 knock out wins in his 36 fights. Here's hoping he does not have 'punchers luck' on fight night.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

While Australia's Jason Moloney claimed the WBO World Bantam Weight championship belt last weekend his twin brother Andrew was knocked out in his Junior Bantam Weight title shot today by japan's Junto Nakatani. Andrew let his right hand drop low and Nakatani took advantage with stunning left that knocked the Aussie out in the 12th round.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... 494df76893
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Nikita Tszyu with a first round ko of his opponent Benjamin Bommber. Nikita can rack up the wins against local boxers but he really needs to come up against higher ranked boxers. He is only 25 with 6 wins and no defeats but he is not being tested.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu has been bitten by a friends 45Kg American Staffy and required 26 stitches in his right arm. He is still going to fight Carlos Ocampo on June 18 on the Gold Coast. He will not pull out because the fight is a sell out and he wants it to be part of his legacy. He will resume sparring next week but that is not leaving much time for him to peak. I really don't see what's in this bout for Tim. He is very fit and motivated but the next fight against Charlo for the World Titles is what will make or break his legacy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

He's been Charlo's mandatory for about 18 months now. If he hadn't been making these other fights he'd have been sitting twiddling his thumbs for a decent chunk of his prime. He's not that experienced or deep in his career he can go a year out of the ring and then step in vs someone like Charlo.

He needs quality bouts under his belt imo- to keep building his profile in the US, to improve (Charlo would have made mincemeat of the Tsyu that turned up vs Gausha imo) and to be ready for Charlo.

That fight is at 2x delays now and there's every chance Charlo will squirm around again and leave Tsyu hanging a third time. The bigger Tsyu gets over there the less chance that happens and the more Charlo will get interested that he can make some money vs Tsyu.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

No one will ever question Tim's desire to fight BnM, but after having 26 stitches put into his right arm after a dog attack last week, he is going in against a puncher with 22 knock outs in his record of 36 fights. Tim is making comments about fighting with one arm. A loss to Ocampo and his bout with Charlo disappears. I get that he doesn't want to let ticket buying fans down, but being restricted in the use of one arm is no place to be in a professional boxing ring.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Boxing Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Tim has a desire to fight BnM? Jesus, what did you do to him?

I’d certainly pay to get that fight on!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:Tim has a desire to fight BnM? Jesus, what did you do to him?

I’d certainly pay to get that fight on!
BnM firming with every dog attack

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I suspect it was BnM’s dog.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I suspect it was BnM’s dog.
expecting CT article to confirm shortly

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

BnM firming as weak gutted dog person who would not fight Tim, even with 100 rotweilers in my corner.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon you'd take him BnM. I mean the dog that put the bite on Tim, not Tim himself.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

No chance against a staffy. Horrible breed of dog.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Maybe American Staffy's gergreg, but we have had two Staffys and they were both fabulous dogs who never caused a problem for anyone. We started with a female called Steffi the Staffy and she had a litter of pups one of which was a white Staffy which was called Nitro. His father was a white staffy called Diesel but Nitro was a bit more volatile. Unfortunately both developed cancer and big operations could not control it in either of them and they had to be put down as the pain was horrible.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

First Round Knock Out to Tim Tsuyu over Ocampo. He tagged him with a hard right which sent him down for the 8 count then after the Ref allowed the fight to continue he got him with another right before finishing him with a left hook. That is impressive power.

Tim Tszyu knock out win: https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... ea50c3fdd4
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One of the nice guys of Australian Boxing, Rocky Gattellari has passed away at the age of 81. He represented Australia as a fly weight at the Olympics losing to the eventual winner of the Gold medal before turning Professional and becoming the Australian champion. He did have a World Title fight as a fly weight but was knocked out in the 13th round. Vale to the original Aussie Rocky.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

So suddenly JermELL not JerMALL Charlo is lined up to fight Alvarez in September. Meaning he skips out on his multi title bout with Tszyu for the THIRD time...

Pic above is the new promo poster and apparently it's not just a promoting error.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It is a shock BnM. I reckon only the WBO may strip Charlo of their belt. The WBC, WBA and IBF probably will not. I expect Tim will have to fight boxers from each organisation ranking to obtain their belts. He is already interim WBO champ so that belt should go to Tim. I note Charles Conwell does not have a fight lined up and he is the WBC No.1 ranked contender. He may well be able to line him up for a bout in September 2023.

WBA No.1 contender is Israel Madrimov. IBF No.1 contender is Bakhram Murtazaliev.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... ad7ea08371
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah the orgs may well want to keep Charlo with the belts as he's by far the biggest name and moneyspinner. Whether he ever intends to come back to the weight I don't know.

Boxing is as byantine as ever. Apparently Jermall is messed up (he rarely fights and mostly wastes his talent) and said he's not ready for his Canelo bout, so Jermell is going to jump up 2 weight classes and step in. Apparently Canelo's plan is Jermell, then Jermall then Spence/Crawford. So back down in the weight classes for Canelo seems to be the plan.

USA fans are excited as Charlo is a unified champ and p4p highly rated and Spence/Crawford will produce a huge star. Sucks for us.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon Charlo may be having trouble making the 154lb (70kgs) weight for Super Welterweight. He is inactive in the ring and seems to take a lot of holidays. Super Middle weight is 168lb (76kgs). Charlo may take the money on this one and retire. He is 33.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: July 3, 2023, 7:26 am I reckon Charlo may be having trouble making the 154lb (70kgs) weight for Super Welterweight. He is inactive in the ring and seems to take a lot of holidays. Super Middle weight is 168lb (76kgs). Charlo may take the money on this one and retire. He is 33.
And he is the more active Charlo!

You could be right. He's had an odd camp but he was always smaller than his brother.

I just think that a Canelo fight is the biggest fight in boxing right now. Even a guy like Charlo with all the belts could triple any paycheck they've had before if they can get in the ring with Canelo. I think Canelo is sick of going up and doing the hard thing vs much naturally heavier fighters and wants to come down and remind everyone what a boss he is near his own weight.

From Canelo's perspective Jermell is the far higher rated fighter than his brother, he's a genuine #1 p4p contender so it's a bigger name fight- just with a weird weight jump that skews it in Canelo's favour.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu wants to set up a hit list like John Wick - crikey Tim, stick with boxing and not this mouthy stuff. He is talking of a bout with Brian Mendoza believing he will have the WBC belt once Charlo steps into the ring against Canelo. Tim expects to have the WBO super welter weight belt so it will be a unification bout.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/tsz ... 7fd395e996
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Friendly advice to crossover athlete Tayla Harris.

Stick to footy love..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Terence Crawford v Errol Spence for the undisputed Welter Weight belt is on tomorrow. I lean towards Crawford for this one. He has been more active and I think that will tell. But both are at the very peak of their careers.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/e ... ete-guide/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Terence Crawford wins with a 9th round TKO result. He is an absolute master at this weight division. I wonder if Tim Tszyu gets all of the super welter weight belts within 12 months that a Tszyu v Crawford match would be a possibility. But today is Crawfords day and good luck to the Champion.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/ter ... 70465bb916
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It is now official that Jermell Charlo will be stripped of the WBO belt after he steps into the ring with Canelo Alvarez. Tim Tszyu will then be named as the WBO Champion. According to the below article he already has a fight lined up but they won't say against which boxer.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxing/ ... wew2lute0u