The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Drinking...

Post by Schifty »

Nick wrote:
Michael wrote:I dunno, I reckon I could probably pull Nick after a few drinks...
5 drinks and you'd have me
3 drinks tops IMO.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Newky Brown, Manbush. Top Tipple.
Tonight I have a long neck of guinness and one of Coopers Red, plus a few Black Douglas and Dry to get the party started.
Don't drink much these days (compared to my wasted youth) like the local reds out here, though.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Nick wrote:
Michael wrote:I dunno, I reckon I could probably pull Nick after a few drinks...
5 drinks and you'd have me
R. Trombone?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Ding ding ding... winnner
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

FTR Jesus ain't dead.

He did speak about eating his flesh and drinking his blood though..... :hmmm
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:St Emilion is the best red wine I've every had.
Yep, I agree. Anything from the region - Margaux, Paulliac, Pomerol, Saint Julien, Graves - is pretty good. Nice thing is that it's finally hitting a price point in Australia that means you can afford a bottle or two without remortgaging the house.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sheesh TR, it must be expensive if people from Doonan had to remortgage their home!!

Most expensive suburb on the SC!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Re: Drinking....

Post by *Loz* »

Michael wrote:
*Loz* wrote:
Nick wrote:I dont know how you do it

this may make me sound like an alcoholic but i honestly couldnt do it unless i had to for health or financial reasons. Aside from a top meal at a nice resturant with a bottle of wine shared with me and my gf, my 2nd favourite thing is sitting at home with her and just having a drink and watching trashy tv.
I go to the gym regularly these days and eat amazingly healthy for my usual standard and half the reason is so i can enjoy a drink without ending up a complete fat ****.

I could give a lot of things but alcohol is about the last thing id want to give up.
I think you're looking surprisingly good these days, Nick.

I was well taken aback when you rocked up last Friday....
Break my heart why don't you...
I forget what you look like...
Raiders Member #3044
jedski
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

let me refresh your memory Loz, he's like a cross between

and

* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

Thanks, Jed. I haven't felt this urge to put my fist through the screen in a long time...
Raiders Member #3044
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

I'm fast becoming an afficianado of $6 reds.

Tonight's drop is the lovely McWilliam's Inheritance shiraz cabernet.
#BoneMcCrone
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Bipolar Bear wrote:let me refresh your memory Loz, he's like a cross between

and

With a twist of Marc Herbert.
#BoneMcCrone
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Rodman wrote:I'm fast becoming an afficianado of $6 reds..
Then let me make your day:

The best wine under $10 in this country retails for a ridiculous $4.75 - Cleanskin Chambourcin Shiraz from Dan Murphy's. No idea why it's retailing as it is, but I've tried it out on all my wine snob friends and they all pick it as a $20 bottle, too.

Seriously. Go an buy a bottle.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Makers Mark.

The finest Bourbon for under $50.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

dubby wrote:Makers Mark.

No such thing as fine Bourbon. It's all rubbish :)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Vasse Felix Chardonnay tonight. $15, and OK for the price.

KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

southern and coke in a middy glass. win.
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

You are all alcoholics.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Schifty wrote:

:rant

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

KW wrote:southern and coke in a middy glass. win.
Why the middy glass ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Schifty wrote:

Not a fan of Makers Mark.. Prefer Gentlemen Jack!
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

yeh raiders wrote:
Schifty wrote:

You're of drinking age?

And T_R, your recommendation has been duly noted. Will make a stop to Dan Murhpy's in the coming days.
#BoneMcCrone
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

green94 wrote:
KW wrote:southern and coke in a middy glass. win.
Why the middy glass ?
dunno, the buffs must have run out of sevens I guess :)
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Rodman wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
Schifty wrote:

You're of drinking age?
You're trying to be funny ?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

yeh raiders wrote:
Schifty wrote:

GJ is a very strong mix. Wonderful drink but it goes straight to my head!

Just on a sidenote, my inlaws made a surprise visit a few weekends ago. The night they arrived (after a 18 hour trip) we had a BBQ, firepit on and some drinks with close friends.

The Father-in law swallowed some Bundy Red, followed up by home brew, followed up by red wine. The poor guy was off his face on 3-4 drinks and was cuddling everybody and telling them he loved them.

It will take years for me to erase the memory of my father in law giving me a huge man-cuddle and telling me he loves me, while I'm trying to turn the porterhouse on the BBQ. :nooo

And people wonder why I stop at 2-3 drinks.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

La Joya Reserve Syrah 2009

$17 a bottle and pretty bloody awful.

I don't see the attraction of Chilean wine.

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Currently....a lot.

Be ready for my regular tyraid of abuse in about an hour or so :lol:

TR, I took your advice and bought that cleanskin and will try it soon. The wife had a quarter glass and said she really enjoyed it. Mind you, she hasn't barely touched a drop in the past 9 months so I presume any grog is tip top to her right now!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

T_R wrote:Talijancich 1961 Reserve Muscat, with some leftover sticky date pudding.

Try it...it'll make you cry out in joy.

What's your drop tonight?
Wanker :P I take it that's a dessert wine. Haven't explored those much. Still busy on the reds.

I recently had 2002 St Halletts Blackwell which was off the charts, but the Faith for $25 is unbelievably good value.

I have a 2001 Moss Wood Cabernet in my cellar. Can anyone top that?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

T_R wrote:La Joya Reserve Syrah 2009

$17 a bottle and pretty bloody awful.

I don't see the attraction of Chilean wine.
There's an attraction to Chilean wine?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Canberra Milk wrote:
I have a 2001 Moss Wood Cabernet in my cellar. Can anyone top that?
Easily :P

And on the Chilean wines - hell yeah, getting talked up big time lately. Cheap with the way our currency is, and seem to be getting some publicity at the moment. There are some good ones out there, too....but a lot of dross to sift through to find them.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think to say "easily" to arguably Australia's best ever Cab is not giving it the credit it deserves, but, ok what you got, Grange? Hill of Grace? And for the sake of relative fairness let's stick to Aussie wine because my French is not so good, much to celebrity chef Matt Moran's displeasure when he came into my old bottleshop looking for high end French red.

Funny story is when I was in France at a supposedly famous bottleshop in Paris near Madeleine, and I was talking to the French guy there about Australian wines versus French wines. He said to me, "oh yeah, Australian wines are fantastic, I tried one recently and it was very impressive". "Which one was that?" I asked him. His reply? "Yellowtail".
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Canberra Milk wrote:I think to say "easily" to arguably Australia's best ever Cab is not giving it the credit it deserves, but, ok what you got, Grange? Hill of Grace? And for the sake of relative fairness let's stick to Aussie wine because my French is not so good, much to celebrity chef Matt Moran's displeasure when he came into my old bottleshop looking for high end French red.

Funny story is when I was in France at a supposedly famous bottleshop in Paris near Madeleine, and I was talking to the French guy there about Australian wines versus French wines. He said to me, "oh yeah, Australian wines are fantastic, I tried one recently and it was very impressive". "Which one was that?" I asked him. His reply? "Yellowtail".
I'm not sure I'm ready to get all competitive over wine cellars :) , but yeah, I've been collecting for a while and have some reasonably decent drops. I don't have access to my database from work (disclaimer: my father maintains it for me...I'm not quite that loopy yet), but if it's labels you're after, I've got sequential Grange cases from 94 onwards and a fair few bottles scattered around from earlier, some Hill of Grace from the mid 90's, the grossly underrated Wolfblass Black from the early 90's .....God, I'm getting all keen again! Been ages since I've gone down and blown the dust of some bottles. These days its mostly French stuff, but I bring that back a few bottles at a time from whenever I'm in Europe, so it's not eactly filling the shelves. I'm a little bit into the Swiss whites at the moment, too, but they don't cellar worth a damn.

I was massively into wine before I went to live in Japan, about 10 years ago (and came back with children, mortgage, school fees etc, which put the brakes on things), so all the stuff I had down prior to that is now drinking amazingly. If you're into Moss Wood and are thus a Margaret River boy, you'd probably appreciate the next one I'm going to crack - an 89 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay. It should be like drinking butter by now....just superb (fingers crossed).

I've only ever tried the Moss Wood Cab once, by the way, but it is genuinely superb. You might have some more cellaring ahead of you, though.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yes, I expect the 2007 Leeuwin Estate chard to be a part of my cellar pretty soon. Apparently it's one of if not the best ever.

I've actually never tried a Moss Wood, and yeah, don't plan on having this one for about another 10 years odd. Looking forward to the Langton's tasting later in the year though where I can have a crack at it.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Australian wine is very much the cheap and nasty stuff over here in NL!