Drinking...

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Drinking...

Post by T_R »

Talijancich 1961 Reserve Muscat, with some leftover sticky date pudding.

Try it...it'll make you cry out in joy.

What's your drop tonight?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Drinking....

Post by Dusty »

Wild Turkey rare breed aged 24 years... i cracked it on the weekend , just polishing it off
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Will it set me back $3500 a bottle?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dunno.

It was a gift. Doubt it...just Claire Valley.

Nice though.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

sorry just water tonight.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Drinking....

Post by Rick »

XXXX Gold
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

Spearmint herbal tea....

I'd kill for sticky date pudding right now :nooo
Raiders Member #3044
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:Dunno.

It was a gift. Doubt it...just Claire Valley.

Nice though.
Oh a Claire Valley, that explains my over estimation in price value.

Beautiful region though.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

What do you know about wine Serb-o?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Karavan Vodka with coke zero
my usual

ive been really enjoying some white wine's lately though
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Michael wrote:What do you know about wine Serb-o?
I cook with it :D

Apart from that... Not much at all.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I've practically stopped drinking altogether for the past year or so, barring special occasions or catch-ups with people I haven't seen in ages.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I dont know how you do it

this may make me sound like an alcoholic but i honestly couldnt do it unless i had to for health or financial reasons. Aside from a top meal at a nice resturant with a bottle of wine shared with me and my gf, my 2nd favourite thing is sitting at home with her and just having a drink and watching trashy tv.
I go to the gym regularly these days and eat amazingly healthy for my usual standard and half the reason is so i can enjoy a drink without ending up a complete fat ****.

I could give a lot of things but alcohol is about the last thing id want to give up.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Nick wrote:I dont know how you do it

this may make me sound like an alcoholic but i honestly couldnt do it unless i had to for health or financial reasons. Aside from a top meal at a nice resturant with a bottle of wine shared with me and my gf, my 2nd favourite thing is sitting at home with her and just having a drink and watching trashy tv.
I go to the gym regularly these days and eat amazingly healthy for my usual standard and half the reason is so i can enjoy a drink without ending up a complete fat ****.

I could give a lot of things but alcohol is about the last thing id want to give up.
It's a lot easier than you'd think actually. It basically all started because I figured that with all the overseas travelling I've been doing, staying off the piss (for the most part) was a really easy way to save $100 a week or so. Do that for six months and I've paid for my air fares etc. But once I stopped drinking with dinner and after work etc, I felt much better and I just got out of the habit. I mean, I love a night out or a night on the cans with my friends as much as the next guy, but as far as sitting at home watching the footy with a beer, I don't even feel the urge.

Last weekend I'd just finished a massive week with my post-grad, saturday afternoon I sat down in front of the footy and had a couple of beers, felt like total balls and regretted it. Over the last month I think I've drank maybe four times?

*EDIT* - just for clarification, I will be most likely drinking heavily almost every night for a year or so when I'm travelling. :cool:
Last edited by Michael on May 24, 2011, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Re: Drinking...

Post by SirMcSquid »

Tonight. Coopers Pale Ale.
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Drinking...

Post by Rick »

Sir McSquid wrote:Tonight. Coopers Pale Ale.
Hate you! P.S. I drank your beers that you left in dads fridge.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bourbon.

Its the nectar from heaven.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

My last bottle i cracked was a chateau bergat saint emilion 2007. cleaned it up in night with a mate and i was quite happy with it. i dont drink often but ive been getting more red into wine recently, especially at night when its cold. the fact ill only drink about one every 6 months means im more likely to spend on a nicer bottle to drink.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

I've been getting into the Rekorderlig and Kopparberg ranges of cider, I find the swedish ciders a lot nicer than Strongbow or the Irish ciders (Magners and Bulmers), and a lot more variety of flavours.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Re: Drinking...

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bipolar Bear wrote:I've been getting into the Rekorderlig and Kopparberg ranges of cider, I find the swedish ciders a lot nicer than Strongbow or the Irish ciders (Magners and Bulmers), and a lot more variety of flavours.
Rekorderlig is the bomb, though a little pricey. I've got three bottles in my fridge begging to be drunk.

Never come across Kopparberg, I'll keep an eye out for it.
jedski
Ricky Stuart

Post by jedski »

Kopparberg can be found at Dan Murphy's, apparently it's also available at BWS and Woolies Liquor, although the often only have the Pear variety.

Dan Murphy's have the Rekorderlig under $6 or $80 for a case of 15, I think that's about the same as they charge for Kopparberg, although it's a lot dearer if you buy it chilled from your supermarket bottle-o.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yeah I usually get the 3rd for $18 special. 1st Choice liquor and Liquorland have it at that price as well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gus- wrote:My last bottle i cracked was a chateau bergat saint emilion 2007. cleaned it up in night with a mate and i was quite happy with it. i dont drink often but ive been getting more red into wine recently, especially at night when its cold. the fact ill only drink about one every 6 months means im more likely to spend on a nicer bottle to drink.
Nice one. I had dinner next door at Chateau Pavie Macquin when we were there a couple of years ago.

The Bordeux wines in general are a bit more affordable at the moment....might have to indulge myself. Nice change from our usual dodgy Dan Murphy's cleanskins.

Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

T_R wrote:
Gus- wrote:My last bottle i cracked was a chateau bergat saint emilion 2007. cleaned it up in night with a mate and i was quite happy with it. i dont drink often but ive been getting more red into wine recently, especially at night when its cold. the fact ill only drink about one every 6 months means im more likely to spend on a nicer bottle to drink.
Nice one. I had dinner next door at Chateau Pavie Macquin when we were there a couple of years ago.

The Bordeux wines in general are a bit more affordable at the moment....might have to indulge myself. Nice change from our usual dodgy Dan Murphy's cleanskins.

yeah every time i go to dan murphy's they seem to be pushing the bordeux's a lot. they have them on aisle ends and information about the wines etc etc. for someone, as myself, who is not a wine buff it makes buying pretty cool. i also like the cool room at woden with the premium wines, last time i went there i spent about an hour looking and reading reviews on my phone and stuff.

i also went over to adelaide in january, did the whole trek through the wine country and i must say it is amazing. we were there to watch cycling, so only got to see one winery, but still an amazing part of australia.

also

SKITTLE VODKA - o yeah
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Bundaberg Rum (duty free, thanks to the sister-in-law)

It tastes like jesus.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

KW wrote:Bundaberg Rum (duty free, thanks to the sister-in-law)

It tastes like jesus.

KW
Isn't Dubby the one around here who's qualified to talk about what jesus tastes like?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It tastes like jesus.

KW
You've tasted Jesus? :shock:
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

I think you're looking surprisingly good these days, Nick.

I was well taken aback when you rocked up last Friday....
Raiders Member #3044
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

*Loz* wrote:

Break my heart why don't you...
jedski
Ricky Stuart

Post by jedski »

Michael wrote:
*Loz* wrote:

Break my heart why don't you...
Aiming a little out of your league, aren't you Michael? :P
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I dunno, I reckon I could probably pull Nick after a few drinks...
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

Greenbits wrote:

It tastes like jesus.

KW
You've tasted Jesus? :shock:
It probably is what Jesus tastes like after a couple of thousand years of being dead.
Rick wrote:
Sir McSquid wrote:Tonight. Coopers Pale Ale.
Hate you! P.S. I drank your beers that you left in dads fridge.
Lol, they were there for long enough to be fair game.
I shouldn't have bought a carton a couple of days before leaving town,
but it annoys me that 2 six packs usually cost about the same as a carton.
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Newcastle brown tonight
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

St Emilion is the best red wine I've every had.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:I dunno, I reckon I could probably pull Nick after a few drinks...
5 drinks and you'd have me