Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

What has been your best weight? I don't weigh myself as I've been somewhere between 80 and 85 for at least 20 years. But the last 12 months I think I'm getting around 95 and it shows on the trails. I think when I was running at my best, leading into NY marathon probably a touch under 80. I've always eaten whatever I wanted, even at my best but the key difference was pushing out 70 or 80 ks a week at that time.

Good luck with the job hunt by the way.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Well I just can't seem to shake injury after injury. I haven't run consistently into decent fitness since April

I don't own scales so also don't know my weight (I have in mind that I oscillate between 70-75kg but I don't really know), but a couple months ago my skin folds were def at peak level they've been for years. I've started eating better, increased my workouts in the garage and as a gardener have been working a lot harder as everything's growing hectic now. I've stripped off those excess skin folds and am really quite lean now. I was of the belief I needed to do a decent amount of running to be this lean nowadays but . Def makes me a lot more relaxed about giving my body all the time it needs to fully recover for running again. Not gonna rush back for once

Coastal, that's whack that you're doing 100km weeks and still putting on weight. The only time I was managing that kind of mileage (2017), I had an insatiable appetite which included a fair bit of junk, and I always stayed lean. Hope everything calms for you soon

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah I’ve always had a horrid relationship with food. I did a podcast interview this year for fitdads australia were I spoke about about it, I really need to stop 100% crap yo stay at a decent weight. Racing weight is about 82-83, post race has got down to 79, but sustainable is usually 85. So 89 is doing my head in. I put on a of if I eat toast fro breakfast instead of a mini bowl of granola :roflmao
It will be fine. New job is going really well, school is back, I know what to do to get lean again, it just drives me nuts how easily it comes back on regardless of how much excersize I do. I know logically that you need a combo of healthy diet and excersize, but you would think 100k wells would allow a chocolate bar every now and then!!! Maybe pushing 40 is the issue…
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wait till your pushing 50. A week with no running and the pants start feeling uncomfortable.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Well I just can't seem to shake injury after injury. I haven't run consistently into decent fitness since April

I don't own scales so also don't know my weight (I have in mind that I oscillate between 70-75kg but I don't really know), but a couple months ago my skin folds were def at peak level they've been for years. I've started eating better, increased my workouts in the garage and as a gardener have been working a lot harder as everything's growing hectic now. I've stripped off those excess skin folds and am really quite lean now. I was of the belief I needed to do a decent amount of running to be this lean nowadays but Image. Def makes me a lot more relaxed about giving my body all the time it needs to fully recover for running again. Not gonna rush back for once

Coastal, that's whack that you're doing 100km weeks and still putting on weight. The only time I was managing that kind of mileage (2017), I had an insatiable appetite which included a fair bit of junk, and I always stayed lean. Hope everything calms for you soon

Is it a repeating injury you can't shake or different ones? Was it a calf problem you were having a few years back? Has that returned?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Different bloody ones. So I don't know if I should think that's good cus it's not one part of my body that just won't cope anymore, or bad cus its many parts of my body that won't cope anymore lol

The ones since April have been an achilles injury. Literally heard it go pop on a run. I guess it was considered fairly minor cus I was running again 2 months later.

Think I slipped a disc cus I "sat down wrong". Couldn't do any exercise at all for a month.

Suspected stress fracture in right tibula. Not sure if cus of running (I was barely back to it) or cus of something else. Before that healed enough to run on, there's something I'm very ambiguous about around my left achilles right now, but might be bone or even muscle, I have little clue with this one. It feels pretty minor but I'm staying off it till I can't feel it at all. I'm pretty sure my tibula is right to go now so hopefully not too far off.

With restrictions done with, I'm very keen to get back up to the mountains on Sundays. And I'm ready for a sweaty summer, lessgo

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thinking about adding Tai Chi / Yoga / Pilates to the workout schedule when I get back into it next year. Looking for something that might help the old back a bit with recovery.

Anyone have a preference or recommendation?

Also, final weight update for the year, down from 100.3 to 82.8. Having a break over the Xmas break and will be back into it next year. Still going to keep daily walks up, but having a break from the HIIT / Weight style workouts
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Both Pilates and yoga will help your back.
Gentle Yoga helps with overall recovery no matter what your goals are.

But for me Pilates and an exercise therapist was the way out of years of chronic back pain from a slipped disc.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Any of those 3 are great options Fui. I've been doing tai chi for over a decade almost daily and I love it. My suggestion is to do whatever is most easily accessible for you - plus ... try all 3 and go with the one you enjoy the most.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

S.O.S coastal or ej.

I'm cramming training at the moment. Over Christmas I just got drunk as **** for 3 weeks instead of training and now I've got 4 and a half weeks to prepare for a 50.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have been increasing my k's in the last 2 weeks - I did a 13 last Thursday and 22 on Sunday. Did a 9 tonight and planning a 13 tomorrow or Thursday and Sunday long and slow of about 25 to 30 this weekend. So I'm thinking I'm back on track. A few more 6 - 8's mixed amongst those weekdays too.

So what sort of taper would be best. The race is on the 5th of March. So if I do a 25 to 30 this weekend and the following weekend try a 30 to 35 ... and then taper off?

Does that sound reasonable?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Gergreg. I would have suggested you taper the drinking not taper the exercise. but what the hell do I know.

Good luck in March.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 1, 2022, 9:05 pm S.O.S coastal or ej.

I'm cramming training at the moment. Over Christmas I just got drunk as **** for 3 weeks instead of training and now I've got 4 and a half weeks to prepare for a 50.

I have been increasing my k's in the last 2 weeks - I did a 13 last Thursday and 22 on Sunday. Did a 9 tonight and planning a 13 tomorrow or Thursday and Sunday long and slow of about 25 to 30 this weekend. So I'm thinking I'm back on track. A few more 6 - 8's mixed amongst those weekdays too.

So what sort of taper would be best. The race is on the 5th of March. So if I do a 25 to 30 this weekend and the following weekend try a 30 to 35 ... and then taper off?

In all honesty mate, when you are cramming I’ve found it’s more about total Ks in a week rather than ‘the long run’. If your body is net ready for the long run, you won’t recover properly, and it will hurt your following week. If you do 25s on both weekends, but 70 odd total each week, you should be fine. And still train on taper week, but drop the intensity, and do things like ride a bike or walk to keep the blood flowing.

Good luck, I’ve got my first race if the year tomorrow about 6 days after shaking the last covid symptoms… I have a feeling I’m gonna get my **** handed to me, but that’s part of the adventure.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm worried Gerg. Seems like you've completely focused on just tapering the k's and not tapering the amber. Now going into a marathon+ is different for everyone but if you've been downing pale ales I would switch to a summer ale for a couple of weeks. Then from there head into your vodka seltzers. It's almost like drinking water but doesn't have any of the side effects.
Trims you down before you need to load back up again with an intense race pregame of Whisky single barrel. Good luck.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote:S.O.S coastal or ej.

Yeah I'd say that sounds reasonable if you're keeping your kms during the week pretty consistent and you're not injuring yourself or having bits starting to feel vulnerable lol

Getting to 35km is a pretty quick jump but I understand a 20km gap between longest training run and this race distance might not provide a lot of confidence

I think 2 week taper from there is also fine. Keen to know how you go this weekend and then on race day

Goodluck to you and hope you had a good race today, Coastal...at least it was cool weather for you!

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ and Zim, cheers. I usually only drink when I'm on holidays. I like to spend a day in the garden with a few ciders - working on my bonsai. It's my retirement plan. Dont mind the occasional tequila / margarita.

EJ / Coastal. Thanks for the tips. Yesterday, I did two laps of Cooleman Ridge - about 20ks. Thought it would be good to head over Mt Arawang - oof brutal decision. I didn't realise how steep it was. So ended up doing about 25 all up. Just got back from an easy 7k recovery run.

I'm going to be a little underdone and it is going to hurt and be slow but feeling better about it than I was 2 weeks ago.

How was your race Coastal, and EJ how are your injuries going?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

In the end I didn't run for 3 months till the new year. For once, I am mostly taking it slow with my first 5 runs back only being 3km. I'm in week 6 and my longest run so far is 9km. I still have the tendency to push the pace towards the end of runs but so far so good with injuries. Body is just feeling good

I have eyes on NSW Spartan in April but I'll only do it if my training goes well and I'm running at least 21km. Trajectory doesn't match that but we'll see. Will be my first race in over 2 years

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

How’s the training going Greg??

My race was as expected, uphills killed me off the back of covid, but the rest was actually really good, the motor was there and was stronger at the end. Aimed for sub 3 hours and did 3.00.46🤦‍♂️
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm pretty shattered mate. I think my knee has gone again. I did that 25k on the Saturday > 7 on the Sunday > an 8 on the Tuesday > a 14 on the Wednesday. And I think that last one did it. I've predominantly trained on trails and this one was a road/path run. I was feeling really good up until that last run.

I did a very minor medial tear about 4 or 5 years ago and couldn't run for 12 to 18 months and this feels the same. I haven't run since last Wednesday. I'll give it another week and try a short run to see how it holds up. I'm still (foolishly) optimistic that I could run the 50 - well within myself and finish it but if it's sore after a short run next week I'll have to abandon it - it's not worth it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PS what distance was your event?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Mine was a 21, but a tough 21. About 5k of beach, 1000m vert. You earn every k.

What date is yours on, is it the stromlo one?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yep, Stromlo so a couple of hills. It's on the 5th of March.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 15, 2022, 6:53 pm Yep, Stromlo so a couple of hills. It's on the 5th of March.
I’ll do you a deal - if your out, I’ll buy your ticket so you’re not out of pocket. I’ve never done stromlo and I’m just putting together a plan for lead up races for UTA, that could be cool.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ok, I'll let you know how I go next week. The transfer window is shut so you'll have to pretend to be Greg.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Really hope it's not as bad as you fear, Greg

Stromlo 50 is deceptive. The total elevation seems very tame for a 50km trail race but it's almost constant undulation apart from the start/finish area. You gotta know your fitness level and pace accordingly. My last one I fell to very back of the pack at the start but after 30km I really started reeling them in as they blew up

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 15, 2022, 9:19 pm Ok, I'll let you know how I go next week. The transfer window is shut so you'll have to pretend to be Greg.
Hope you’re recovering ok mate and it’s not as bad as you thought.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hey Coastal, just as an update. First run today after a week and a half. No soreness, I did take it very easy and really conscious of my core ... ie. Not letting my knee collapse at all. Only did 7 but will try about double that tomorrow and see how I feel. I think I will be okay but want to keep you updated. What is your hard and fast deadline for a decision? Just so you have sufficient prep/travel time.

Cheers mate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m pretty random… 2 days?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

How did you pull up greg? Hope it went well for you. I just got a roll down entry for AAA the following weekend, so if you’re busted, I hope we can downgrade the entry to a shorter distance😂
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I think you can choose the 30km finish chute and it'll register you for that. I'm sure the organisers can sort it out for you pre race pretty easily though

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Feeling surprisingly okay. I did 12 on Sunday and going to head out for 7 when I get home from work. There is an element of madness to long distance running, and taking that into account, I think I can do this. I'm sure I'll be cussing myself at about the 40k mark though.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s bloody fantastic news mate!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Drumroll Greg, how’s the week going?!?! Hope you are feeling strong and fast!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Feeling good mate, not sure about fast and strong. Rain forecast for Saturday so could be a soggy and miserable run. One of my colleagues just found out 6foot has been cancelled and she's pretty devastated.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: March 1, 2022, 1:04 pm Feeling good mate, not sure about fast and strong. Rain forecast for Saturday so could be a soggy and miserable run. One of my colleagues just found out 6foot has been cancelled and she's pretty devastated.
Tell her AAA has just opened up extra slots for 6 foot runners.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Greg, the best of luck to you this weekend mate, enjoy the experience. Run the km you are in, and don’t worry about the rest.

Looking forward to a recap.