2013 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the NSW Blues and Queensland Maroons?

Blues 13+
25%
Blues 1-12
46%
Draw
4%
Maroons 1-12
18%
Maroons 13+
7%

Total votes: 28

craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Re: 2013 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by craigo »

Who cares it happens he has been suspended for it now lets move on and look forward to game 2. Geeze some blokes are like a dog with a bone.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Can't believe the lengths some are going to do defend the indefensible Paul Gallen.
You keep saying that but where are people defending him?
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

RedRaider wrote:Mal Meninga is one of my all time favourite players, but he does not have clean hands on the foul play discussion in Origin. In the 1991 series he hit Michael O'Connor high and did some work on him as he went to ground resulting in O'Connor getting a broken nose etc. Mal was not even put before the judiciary for those actions. The fact Mal later apologized to O'Connor meant he knew he had gone overboard. To complain about Gallen getting one week now might ensure a big Brisbane crowd for the next origin match, but he of all people should know just how 'vigorous' Origin can be, even for the most level headed of players. Mal copped zero weeks for his actions.
So is this now the part where O'Conner hits Mal twice in the face whilst his hands are by his side and blames what happened years before for his actions like a true New South Whinger?
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

For mine the cheap shot was the swinging arm, once youre pushed after harsh words have been exchanged the fights already started its just a matter of who swings first
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Manbush wrote:For mine the cheap shot was the swinging arm, once youre pushed after harsh words have been exchanged the fights already started its just a matter of who swings first
No gallen was supposed to wait until they counted to 3

Is it 1,2 3 then punch

or 1, 2 .. punch
Sturty1984
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Reece lightening

Post by Sturty1984 »

Manbush wrote:For mine the cheap shot was the swinging arm, once youre pushed after harsh words have been exchanged the fights already started its just a matter of who swings first
Who cares now what's done is done and no one could of done it as good as gallen
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

Yep lets all move on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The first shot was Gallen, the swinging arm to the head with a clenched fist. He followed up with a couple of king hits while a bloke's hands were by his sides. He's a fine specimen of "man" you blokes are defending.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Motel cleaners around the world would've been cheerin him on ;)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gets more and more sad.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Worm wrote:
RedRaider wrote:Mal Meninga is one of my all time favourite players, but he does not have clean hands on the foul play discussion in Origin. In the 1991 series he hit Michael O'Connor high and did some work on him as he went to ground resulting in O'Connor getting a broken nose etc. Mal was not even put before the judiciary for those actions. The fact Mal later apologized to O'Connor meant he knew he had gone overboard. To complain about Gallen getting one week now might ensure a big Brisbane crowd for the next origin match, but he of all people should know just how 'vigorous' Origin can be, even for the most level headed of players. Mal copped zero weeks for his actions.
So is this now the part where O'Conner hits Mal twice in the face whilst his hands are by his side and blames what happened years before for his actions like a true New South Whinger?
:? Sorry Worm, you've lost me. My point was Mal committed a blatant foul act which drew no penalty in terms of suspension (and caused O'Connor to miss the next Premiership game) and yet he is writing stories complaining about Gallen's one match suspension. No one can take anything away from what Mal achieved as a player and now as a coach. I met him a couple of times and found him a gentleman. But for those of us with respect and admiration for Mal, it was a moment in football we wish had never happened. He got off with zero penalty and now complains when an opposition player does receive a match penalty.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

No violins over violence

There are enough debates about violence and Origin to fill up this column at least twice over. But it was instructive that there was a mini-brawl in the Eels-Roosters game two days after Origin I and it went almost unnoticed - because only league fans were watching. It's important to separate the arguments about whether Origin should be played under more laissez faire rule interpretations from the one about whether rugby league is too tolerant of violence. It's ridiculous to suggest Origin should go from being dirtier than club football to CLEANER just because more people are watching. First, bring club and Origin football into line, then examine what we're left with and determine if it's worth sacrificing some aggression to keep attracting junior players.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2Vl1CKXbY
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ridiculous.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Thoughts on brent tates punch on bird GE? and thoughts on Ben teo's current controversy?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Don't expect an answer
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don't. But it's Alrite, no answer means we win
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

I agree with this... I think the swinging arm in the tackle was worse than the two punches... I think Gallen was lucky at the judiciary on this one...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Tate's punch wouldn't burst a grape... Gallen's punches were short and sharp and Myles took them without too much of a stagger... Plus Tate and Watmough were the first two on the scene and both appeared that they wanted to diffuse, rather than escalate the situation...

In each case though, it's not a good look and going forward, the nrl should just draw a line and start again... Issue a clear statement that there is no precedent to protect players who want to throw punches in game two or game three... If any player is caught, he goes to the bin and he can't cite previous examples... Even if they have to get a sound bite of both coaches and captains acknowledging and accepting that there will be no excuses...

this way they can hopefully throw accountability on the individual to show what is more important to them... Their pride/ego; or victory...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm trying to understand what you mean by the first two sentences. Is it that it is okay to throw a cheap shot so long as you are not very good at it?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Stuff it the blues should show their intent with selections, SBW is eligible so pick him and bring Mundine out of retirement
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

greeneyed wrote:Gets more and more sad.
yes yes you do.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Greenbits wrote:I'm trying to understand what you mean by the first two sentences. Is it that it is okay to throw a cheap shot so long as you are not very good at it?
sorry wasn't trying to imply that... my aim was to say that in hindsight neither resulted in serious injury but at the same time moving forward we should be looking to not use previous incidents as the measure for the future... as a way to try and remove the 'you get away with more in origin' idea...

the aim should be that all future incidents get judged on their own merit under a clean slate if you will... this is more or less trying to add an idea to bring about a solution to the issues that Michael, worm and a couple of others were discussing...

so while I don't think there was too much in the Tate punch, he should still go to the bin from now on if you know what I mean?...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Manbush wrote:Stuff it the blues should show their intent with selections, SBW is eligible so pick him and bring Mundine out of retirement
you wouldn't necessarily need to... Brett White handles himself ok...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That makes sense. Cheers.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Imagine my surprise to come home for an isolated Fijian island to find NSW blues won and GE is in a state of disrepair over it

Just finished watching the replay. Blues defended really well, especially the scramble, Fergo was good, Shillo poor. QLD couldnt get it done and Gallen **** owned Nate Myles.

As for the fight itself, perfectly handled, a bit of a stink, two men going toe to toe, instigator (Gallen) is penalised, game on and get on with it.

As for the wider impact of that kind of blue on RL... beltings like that have been going on in RL since the dawn of time. RL has never had issues with junior participation. Soccer has always and will always be the biggest of the 4 majors in junior participation, nothing will change that because parents rightly want to protect their kids, but the numbers drop off.

Until i see a spate of U6's kids punching in junior football, or there is a drop in JRL participation numbers, i wont concern myself too much with it's impact. The type of parents that wont let their kids play RL because Gallen towelled Myles up in a S.O.O game, are generally the types that wouldnt have let their boy play RL anyways... so he'll be playing soccer (unlikely AFL if its an east coast child outside of VIC) anyways, at least until the age of 14-16, where the stats show they simply stop playing or take up other sports (like RL)

The code needs to appear to doing something, because it's too controversial not to appear to be doing something about it, but frankly you cant and wont stop fights happening in a physical game like RL. So you deal with it at face value and quietly adore the fact that this kind of physicality is precisely what your market craves.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Edited version for highlights ;)

Nate Myles rejects talk of Paul Gallen feud after Origin clash

Myles was happy to leave the ugly incident on the field.

"It's one of those things mate, it's Origin football," said Myles

Myles played down talk of a square-up at Suncorp Stadium in the return game and said he didn't think Gallen should have been sin binned.

"Not at all mate, how could he be in it?," he said.

"Let's be honest, everyone wants to see it (punches).

"I don't think he should be charged."

Meninga said he'd leave it up to officials to make a decision on what happened to Gallen.

"I guess in a normal game, 10 minutes in the bin maybe. It's Origin, we're comfortable with what happened," Meninga said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6658185686
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bring on game 2, *****.
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

haha craigo... they are all quite funny but the homer one probably made me laugh the most...