2013 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the NSW Blues and Queensland Maroons?

Blues 13+
25%
Blues 1-12
46%
Draw
4%
Maroons 1-12
18%
Maroons 13+
7%

Total votes: 28

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2013 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by greeneyed »

bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

86 invader wrote:I think NSW will win the series 2-1 with all three games going with the home team...

With regards to game 1, judging by the two teams squads picked this one is really going to be a clash of styles... I'm assuming that NSW will try and compress the Qld defence and try to create room for Bird, Hoffman, Jennings and Morris out wide... They've picked a lot of tight forwards with good footwork and offloads plus two halves that play straight and fast... The interesting part is that Qld have selected a bench full of inexperienced edge defenders... I think it's going to be a great game but I think NSW will shellshock Qld in the first one...

this seems to be in response to the NSW team and all the edge threats. for so many years it was the blues picking a team to defend the morons, great to see its finally swung back. the toads are worried :D
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

yeah QLD are really worried after 7 years of dominating bring on THE DECADE OF DOMINANCE stupid blusers with there false hope lol
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

Deadly EdLee wrote:yeah QLD are really worried after 7 years of dominating bring on THE DECADE OF DOMINANCE stupid blusers with there false hope lol
thats the problem with qld supporters way to confident.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Mal Meninga rates current NSW side the most potent he's faced as Queensland coach

MAROONS coach Mal Meninga isn't missing Ricky Stuart, but he has warned that Laurie Daley can topple Queensland's dynasty.

And Meninga says this is the most potent Blues side during his seven-year reign as coach.

Ahead of Origin I this Wednesday night, Meninga revealed he sees parallels between himself and Daley and detailed why the rookie NSW coach's unflappable style could sucker-punch the Maroons.

Meninga, Daley and Stuart were Canberra's key backline triumvirate during the premiership reign in 1989-90 and 1994.

While Stuart did his best to ignite the Blues with his ferocious intensity in the past two seasons, Meninga is wary of Daley's composed, smiling-assassin strategy.

Daley is making his Origin coaching debut on Wednesday night at ANZ Stadium, but he has had success in the code's toughest arena, winning six series in his 10-year reign as NSW five-eighth.

Meninga staved off Stuart's challenge, but there is no hint of psychological warfare with Daley.

"I don't miss Ricky Stuart, but I'll be honest ... I think it's a dangerous proposition coming up against Laurie,'' Meninga said.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6655079410
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

NSW Origin coach Laurie Daley the ultimate competitor, says Ricky Stuart

I MUST have played with Laurie Daley's twin.

I see this other Laurie Daley walking around Origin training, smiling through his orders, pointing at different field positions, ordering play, discussing strategies with his assistants.

This Laurie Daley was there the other day sitting down in the middle of the field watching his team go through ballwork, his legs crossed.

Clearly this is the happy-go-lucky Laurie Daley, the one they say is too nice to hate.

The Laurie Daley I played with was a tremendous competitor, not just on the field but off it.

The one I played with would walk up to me at the end of training and say: "What are you doing, Stick?"

"Some extra kicks," I'd say.

Then he'd start kicking the ball beside me.

"What are you doing now, mate?"

I'd tell him I was doing some extra fitness, hitting the punching bag, and he'd get along there with me.

And he always made sure that I finished first.

"What's that you're taking there, mate?" he'd say.

"Supplements," I'd say. "To help recovery."

"How many scoops?"

"Two."

So he'd take four.

Everything was a competition with Laurie. He always went harder and longer than everybody else.

The reason he is so popular is he took that attitude to training, his preparation, socially, wherever we were.

That's the Laurie Daley I played with, not this easygoing fellow I keep seeing now.

That attitude was a big part of his attraction. It's why people wanted to be around him.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6655049648
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

just on Laurie, he is still one of the best players I ever saw play. the bloke was a true champion as a player and now is his time to bring us long suffering NSW fans an origin series.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

FOX SPORTS News ‏@FOXSportsNews 4m
Origin #News: Johnathan #Thurston not training with QLD squad at Coolum. #Thurston missed the session due to a virus. #Origin
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It would be a shame if that virus went through the whole playing group
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Greenbits wrote:It would be a shame if that virus went through the whole playing group
Happens every year to em
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Post by Lobby »

Viruses, "falling out of bed". With not much footy on this weekend, you can listen to our Origin special podcast if you need a fix

http://leaguebythefireplace.com/podcast ... -hype-men/
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Manbush wrote:
Greenbits wrote:It would be a shame if that virus went through the whole playing group
Happens every year to em
It's all Bull... Just them trying to create underdog status and create a siege mentality.
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

Either that or so they have an excuse when they loose
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

That seafood story was actually about Sticky........ its in Lauries book.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

craigo wrote:
Deadly EdLee wrote:yeah QLD are really worried after 7 years of dominating bring on THE DECADE OF DOMINANCE stupid blusers with there false hope lol
thats the problem with qld supporters way to confident.
We've won the last 7 in a row **** why wouldn't we be confident :lol:
waldo1961
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Fergo, Fenno, Joel Edwards

Post by waldo1961 »

Geez you guys are bad winners, not sure who I hate most: Dugan, St George or Queensland. Dugan wins.
Gold Member 7819
Bay 52
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW coach Laurie Daley and Queensland coach Mal Meninga turn on the charm ahead of State of Origin

LAURIE Daley was pipped at the post yesterday for title of the world's nicest guy.

Mal Meninga took time out from casting Origin's greatest shadow to join Daley at the final hitout for the coaches and, naturally, the old Canberra teammates got around to talking about their friendship.

What followed was a charm-a-thon. Both sat back in their chairs a little and smiled a lot, and the floor show began as two old friends fell into a familiar rhythm.

Daley makes his debut tomorrow night as NSW coach, and for history's sake was asked if he could remember his first Origin game as a player: "I think the scoreline was 36-6 Queensland's way," he said. "I had stud marks down the front of me."

Meninga said: "He got me back, though."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nsw-co ... 6656517239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW coach Laurie Daley is a cool customer who has all the bases covered ahead of State of Origin

LAURIE Daley comes across so cool he even makes big Mal look nervous - just don't make the mistake of taking him for a fool.

Asked to describe his relationship with Mal yesterday, Daley said: "He is a mate of mine. We have been through this before as players. Nothing changes. I want to win, he wants to win. We probably won't talk to each other on the night."And after the game?

"We will shake hands and move on," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nsw-co ... 6656525510
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

waldo1961 wrote:Geez you guys are bad winners, not sure who I hate most: Dugan, St George or Queensland. Dugan wins.
Keep sipping on your HATORADE then you HATER. :roflmao
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I can't wait, after the blues win the series "oh we won the last seven thought we should let you win" :lol:
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

CJ42 wrote:I can't wait, after the blues win the series "oh we won the last seven thought we should let you win" :lol:
It's been rolled out already up here

Some of my QLD pals are concerned as they feel its the best NSW side for a long time
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

It's definitely the best NSW side in a long time. I can't see any glaringly big errors.

Whilst id have gone Carney over Maloney, he's still good enough to the job unlike selections in previous years e.g. Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Jamie Buhrer, Trent Merrin (in his first origin series) and Kurt Gidley (thank the Lord)
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

NSW should be favorites and should win the first game.

NSW 24 - QLD 16
CanberraJonno
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by CanberraJonno »

The battle will be settled in the halves, barring some freakish Inglis hoodoo, I reckon Maloney and Pierce should have the goods over Cronk and Thurston, my only concern is if both suddenly click into "origin" gear (which they both have done in the past)...

If Piloney get the upper hand, watch the Queensland pack tire out come the 60th minute mark...

if Thunk get the upper hand, watch QLD steamroll us within the first 40...

however, origin is never that simple, I reckon 8-12 in favour of QLD at halftime, with some very good goal line defence by the Maroons, then the Blues finally tire them out in the second leading to 20-12 Blues FTS.

You heard it here first Folks...
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Maloney and Pearce have the goods over Thurston and Cronk...

I've now heard it all..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

As a Blues fan, they definitely don't have the edge on Cronk/Thurston, but so long as our forward pack dominates (which it should) all they have to do is their job and service our outside backs well. Nothing flash. They certainly aren't better than Qld's halves
Last edited by Toviii on June 4, 2013, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Looks like my self-imposed hiatus from this thread is over a day early
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

NSW 13+
waldo1961
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Fergo, Fenno, Joel Edwards

Post by waldo1961 »

I hope something weird doesn't happen to Qld that makes Papa play tomorrow night - I'd hate to barrack against him. Not the same feelings for Shillo though, I don't know why. BTW - the form of Gidley in recent times makes you wonder why he's in FG let alone being considered for SOO.
Gold Member 7819
Bay 52
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

1 more sleep!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

One thing I'm confident about. The Maroons could be even better with the 18th and 19th men included.

No point risking Thurston if he's not right. Cherry Evans is ready and in great form. Papalii an upgrade on Teo.

Only bad refereeing will stop us now!
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Nice. Making excuses before the game has even been played. Preparing yourself for disappoint? :P

I'm upset I won't be able to watch this game, but I expect to come home to a Blues win so I'll be happy
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

greeneyed wrote:One thing I'm confident about. The Maroons could be even better with the 18th and 19th men included.

No point risking Thurston if he's not right. Cherry Evans is ready and in great form. Papalii an upgrade on Teo.

Only bad refereeing will stop us now!
what like it has for the blues the last series.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bad refereeing has always penalised Queensland. The Maroons have always had to overcome the bad 50-50 calls.
craigo
Brett Mullins

Post by craigo »

I was at the first game and watched it live, you see a lot more, and I can tell you now that the blues were very hard done by and that's not including the so called try even the qld supporters that were sitting around me agreed. ( not that it worried them any) but they did agree that the refs had a shocker.