Hodgson signs with Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly signs with Raiders

Post by bonehead »

Not sure what some of you guys are watching. Buttriss is playing at career best and still wouldn't make a 17 man squad at any other team
Edrick The Entertainer
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by gnocchi1 »

bonehead wrote:Not sure what some of you guys are watching. Buttriss is playing at career best and still wouldn't make a 17 man squad at any other team
Unfortunately I agree.
Bring on this Hodgson fella.

I think RedRaider has been on the cans a bit early. Matt Ballin and Glenn Buttriss should not be used in the same sentence, let alone compared to each other. It's grossly insulting to Matt Ballin.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

bonehead wrote:Not sure what some of you guys are watching. Buttriss is playing at career best and still wouldn't make a 17 man squad at any other team
You've always bagged out Buttriss. Calling him butman and chuckling to yourself. Hes a decent player, pay him his accolades mate. Always first to mock him. Name a better hook in our roster.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

And how can you compare ballin n butriss missed tackled when ballin makes way more?!?

Anyway the big concern is butters is playing career best form, he is just flat out too slow....that won't change
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Benny in the west. You're like a magpie. Every loss you swoop in and bag out Buttriss for being too slow. Yes mate, we get it Buttriss is slow. But he is the best we have. Why remind every week? Get some more material mate, " hey guys, Buttriss is slow" faark off, to the the south!
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford

Post by gnocchi1 »

Buttriss IS the best we have, Begbie. I suspect that's the major reason why the club is trying to bring this Hodgson bloke to our club. We simply can not win football games regularly when Buttriss is the best hooker we have.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

gnocchi1 wrote:Buttriss IS the best we have, Begbie. I suspect that's the major reason why the club is trying to bring this Hodgson bloke to our club. We simply can not win football games regularly when Buttriss is the best hooker we have.
Agree, and I will support him 100% until we get someone better. unlike some of the clowns on this site.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Begbie wrote:
gnocchi1 wrote:Buttriss IS the best we have, Begbie. I suspect that's the major reason why the club is trying to bring this Hodgson bloke to our club. We simply can not win football games regularly when Buttriss is the best hooker we have.
Agree, and I will support him 100% until we get someone better. unlike some of the clowns on this site.
He looks good this year, a lot leaner, developed a good kick and makes good metres when he runs and defends well

I don't really know how much more he can do seeing the attacking structure is balls
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Hi Bennyinthewest, Buttsy is regularly up near the top of the tackle count and last night topped the tackle count. Only a single miss and 40 made. The tackle stats this year show Buttsy has made 437 and missed 22. Ballin has made 553 and missed 35. Buttsy has the better ratio. In rounded figures for every 20 tackles he makes there is one miss whereas for Ballin for every 16 tackles made there is one miss. (Source: nrl player stats). Our side has glaring defensive weaknesses, but Buttsy is not one of them.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

yurithe1 wrote:Here's a chance for people to form an opinion, assuming he's playing.

HULL KR VS BRADFORD, Eurosport Channel on Foxtel, 1:30 pm -3:00 pm Saturday 21 June.
Did anyone with foxtel watch?
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford

Post by gnocchi1 »

RedRaider wrote:Hi Bennyinthewest, Buttsy is regularly up near the top of the tackle count and last night topped the tackle count. Only a single miss and 40 made. The tackle stats this year show Buttsy has made 437 and missed 22. Ballin has made 553 and missed 35. Buttsy has the better ratio. In rounded figures for every 20 tackles he makes there is one miss whereas for Ballin for every 16 tackles made there is one miss. (Source: nrl player stats). Our side has glaring defensive weaknesses, but Buttsy is not one of them.
I'm sorry to say Mr Raider, but I think you need to take some time to step away from the PC and simply watch a few games of Matt Ballin. Comparing him to Buttriss is a gross miscarriage of justice to Matt Ballin.
CJB
David Shillington

Post by CJB »

I watched about 10 minutes of it and I'm surprised his name hasn't been mentioned before, looks solid in defense and attack was great I'm 99% he scored one and set up another but in saying that it is the super league.... on a side note we're not missing adrian purtell lol
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yeah, I watched it. He seems to move from dummy half into the #7 during the game for periods. No idea what it means for NRL level, but this guy can play.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Awesome. I think the rumours of him agreeing to a deal are true, but obviously we can't rely on rumours. It just seems to be too random to just be something someone made up, not many down here had heard of the guy.
Last edited by Green_Hammock on June 21, 2014, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Begbie wrote:
You've always bagged out Buttriss. Calling him butman and chuckling to yourself. Hes a decent player, pay him his accolades mate. Always first to mock him. Name a better hook in our roster.
wasn't buttman but something a bit more witty, Buttkiss.
I didn't bag him early in his career but probably the last 4 seasons, I agree he is the best we have that I've seen. Cronin looked ok in attack in the Tamworth trial but our ruck defence with our 2nd string side was horrible.
This year is the first season Glen has looked fit enough but my concerns are his communication and organising skills, wrestle/ground skills are not up to scratch. Too many times he's at dummy half and looking around to find out what play is on, too many times he's the last off the ground from a tackle. The way he rushed out of the line on McGuire against the broncos opened the hole for hodges to set up copley's game changing try, we were on top till then and if he holds the line it's a regulation hit up.
After nearly 7 seasons he's still very inconsistent and I stand by my opinion he would not get a gig anywhere else in the nrl.
I was really hoping McCrone would transition but it seems he doesn't want to.
I always support any player in lime green, happily wished him all the best for a great season in Tamworth.
Edrick The Entertainer
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

He has to be an upgrade to the Josh we already have.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

bonehead wrote:
Begbie wrote:
This year is the first season Glen has looked fit enough but my concerns are his communication and organising skills, wrestle/ground skills are not up to scratch. Too many times he's at dummy half and looking around to find out what play is on, too many times he's the last off the ground from a tackle.
The way he rushed out of the line on McGuire against the broncos opened the hole for hodges to set up copley's game changing try, we were on top till then and if he holds the line it's a regulation hit up.
I always support any player in lime green, happily wished him all the best for a great season in Tamworth.
Hi Bonehead, I have looked at the replay of that try a number of times and there is no way this is what happened. Buttsy goes up in line and makes initial low contact with the Bronco with JMc up top, but the ball is offloaded to the left and then immediately passed behind the ruck to the right to Hodges who steps inside Kennedy and into a hole. Imo he did what he should have done, be in position to make contact with the Bronco forward and make the tackle.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Green_Hammock wrote:Awesome. I think the rumours of him agreeing to a deal are true, but obviously we can't rely on rumours. It just seems to be too random to just be something someone made up, not many down here had heard of the guy.
it is true it is rumoured
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Looking around for the play may not be his fault, what kind of call is he getting grin the halves?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Begbie wrote:
This year is the first season Glen has looked fit enough but my concerns are his communication and organising skills, wrestle/ground skills are not up to scratch. Too many times he's at dummy half and looking around to find out what play is on, too many times he's the last off the ground from a tackle.
The way he rushed out of the line on McGuire against the broncos opened the hole for hodges to set up copley's game changing try, we were on top till then and if he holds the line it's a regulation hit up.
Hi Bonehead, I have looked at the replay of that try a number of times and there is no way this is what happened. Buttsy goes up in line and makes initial low contact with the Bronco with JMc up top, but the ball is offloaded to the left and then immediately passed behind the ruck to the right to Hodges who steps inside Kennedy and into a hole. Imo he did what he should have done, be in position to make contact with the Bronco forward and make the tackle.
this it what I see.
Buttriss 1metre in front of Vaughan and campo, makes a low tackle on vaughan's man, offload and hodges goes through where buttriss and campo should be.
I'd love nothing more than buttriss to complete the season and win the Clive Churchill medal.
I admit I'm a harsh judge, to me 9 is the most important position on the field
Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:Looking around for the play may not be his fault, what kind of call is he getting grin the halves?
9 is in charge of the forwards, 7 is in charge of the backs and general play, if you aren't getting a call you are making it.
Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Hi Bonehead, thank you for this shot. It is not so clear on my Nrl.com replay video. Parker is heading straight for Buttsy and both he and JMc are moving in to make the tackle. Do you have the next sequence of shots on this play? The ball goes left from the offload from Parker to McCullogh who passes across the back of the play to the right wide to Hodges. Look where he is wide to the right of both Campo and Kennedy. Hodges steps Kennedy but I'd like to see what the other players in the shot are doing as Buttsy is involved in the tackle.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Offload in pass out, hodges straight past campo who has continued his line toward the ruck with Kennedy staying out on his man. Horrible communication on so many fronts.
Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
reptar wrote:Looking around for the play may not be his fault, what kind of call is he getting grin the halves?
9 is in charge of the forwards, 7 is in charge of the backs and general play, if you aren't getting a call you are making it.
true, mightn't hurt to just have done forward hit ups instead of to the half and then inside to Fensom who gets hit at the advantage line, too
bads
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: campo

Post by bads »

Give baptise a run. I'm not saying he's the answer but why not see what he can do. He's a good tackler gets great runs from half, he's got some speed. Buttress ball delivery is terrible. Our back line moves are always disjointed because they start with a poor delivery from hooker. Mcrone and campo a catching a ball behind them or off the ground from buttress more times than not. He's also got the speed of a exhausted tortoise at the best of times. I hope this bloke from super league has signed but I'm not holding my breath. If it doesn't eventuate we need to try current squad alternatives before next season.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Begbie so defensive mate, yep I always say butriss is slow, because I believe you shouldn't play NRL at his pace, the fact that he is is a massive achievement to him. Unlike most posters on here who bag out macca week in week out I very rarely bag players, I'm saying he's playing well but IMO doesn't have the athleticism to ever be a good hooker. I'm happy with what he is doing because he is doing it to the best of his ability
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Did I mention that Buttriss shouted me a few schooners once? Look, I realise he is not the greatest hook in the NRL, however, the crap he cops in this place is embarrassing.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

T_R wrote:Yeah, I watched it. He seems to move from dummy half into the #7 during the game for periods. No idea what it means for NRL level, but this guy can play.
Farah does it quite a lot. If it is done well it can help create better options on the fringes and it helps alleviate pressure on the halves, which might suit us if we are going to be playing with Cornish and Wighton/McCrone in the halves.
t-train
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by t-train »

I rate what I have seen of Hodgson, would be a good starting 9 and with the young guys coming through we would have some depth.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Cant the british press just tap his phone and confirm if he's talked to Sticky?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

Good to have someone linked to us again.
jedski
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

aussie1st wrote:Good to have someone linked to us again.
Hope that it actually is Josh and not Brett.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
Or Michael...
In Ricky We Trust
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote:
Bipolar Bear wrote:
Or Michael...
..or Roy
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bads
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: campo

Post by bads »

What about Granville from broncos. I think he's off contract and from what I've seen he'd be a good prospect. He's fast out of half takes good scoots and has ball playing ability. He's stuck as back up hooker and he'd be cheep.