Whatever happened to...

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Whatever happened to...

Post by dubby »

Ever wondered what happened to those lollies, chips, ice creams you used to love as a kid, but just don't exist anymore?

I think back to the 90s and remember Smiths Jungle Curry chips, Nix Nax biscuits, Muncheros........loved all of them but I can't find any trace of them these days. Jungle Curry chips were bloody awesome! Ruffles chips!

Going back to the 80s I remember those jelly tip ice blocks, Sunny Boy ice blocks (basically a frozen ice block in a box, I hated them), moonies Ice creams, that lolly stuff that used to crackle and pop as you ate it (not rice bubbles), white knight chocolate bars, the scanlens cards that had that really hard stick of gum and some footy cards. Monaco bars! Soft drink cans with the 2 holes in the lid :lol:

I can remember the early 80s buying lollies that were 1c and 2c each :doubt: Bobbies, curls, cobbers

Boy I feel old suddenly :(
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Re: whatever happened to...

Post by dubby »

And for the really bored:

30 mins of ads from Aussie TV 1993. I loved the coke ad (4;10 mins in roughly)

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

You are old

Sad thing is I remember buying those lollies too. Spearmint leaves , cobbers all for 1 and 2c

I remember strawberry pops cereal. I remember getting metal figures in the cereal boxes.

What about the crystal soft drink truck that used to come around and you could buy bottled softdrink. On softdrink who remembers the cans with 2 holes you pressed in. Small one to release the pressure and the bigger to drink out of.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

dubby wrote:Ever wondered what happened to those lollies, chips, ice creams you used to love as a kid, but just don't exist anymore?

I think back to the 90s and remember Smiths Jungle Curry chips, Nix Nax biscuits, Muncheros........loved all of them but I can't find any trace of them these days. Jungle Curry chips were bloody awesome! Ruffles chips!

Going back to the 80s I remember those jelly tip ice blocks, Sunny Boy ice blocks (basically a frozen ice block in a box, I hated them), moonies Ice creams, that lolly stuff that used to crackle and pop as you ate it (not rice bubbles), white knight chocolate bars, the scanlens cards that had that really hard stick of gum and some footy cards. Monaco bars! Soft drink cans with the 2 holes in the lid :lol:

I can remember the early 80s buying lollies that were 1c and 2c each :doubt: Bobbies, curls, cobbers

Pop rocks and you can still buy them.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raidersrawesome wrote:You are old.
:x

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Is that grey hair on that face?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

No grey hairs on this melon!!

ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:Ever wondered what happened to those lollies, chips, ice creams you used to love as a kid, but just don't exist anymore?

Pop rocks and you can still buy them.
Just don't load them into your Johnson ala the funny news thread here.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Whatever happened to...

Post by -PJ- »

I can remember riding my pushie down to the corner shop with mates and buying 100 choc buds for $1 and a litre of milk in a glass bottle. I would drink the neck out of the bottle and a little old lady would add strawberry topping for an extra 5c.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Magic gum, ****, zingers, crazy critter ice blocks, footy cards with bubble gum, tab soft drink, and my personal favourite " toffee apple" flavoured red skins.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Muncheros! I swear everyone I ask about these said they never existed. I thought I had imagined them and even did a google search, but typed Muncenmacheros, which was how the ad was sung from memory.

Monaco bars were sweet too, basically a maxibon now?
Last edited by DJ89 on July 24, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I have a sunny boy in my freezer
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Crazy critter ice blocks. Double bubble bliss bombs. Snowballs.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lolly gobble bliss bombs? I saw those in the IGA last week.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Too sweet after a few mouthfuls. Give me a pack of cheese and bacon cheetahs balls any day of the week.
Last edited by Begbie on July 24, 2014, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Golliwog biscuits
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Manbush wrote:Golliwog biscuits
That reminds me of my favourite bed time story my mum used to read to me in bed "little black sambo"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Still around under a more PC name
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

My son has an old school Golliwog doll that his not too PC uncle brought him from OS.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Peter Jackson Super Mild. Those were the days. None of this bland packaging, sterile named lung lollies of today.
Raiders member no# 2278.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

for me, this thread begins and ends with lollies from target that you had to fit into a plastic cup. there was an art to it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

When Zinger Burgers were actually good and no 2 fillets would have the same shape.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

When KFC in general was good
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

white knight's at iga, pop rocks now often termed popping candy and used in Cadbury creations among other things.
Thread title had me adding "predictability, the newsman the paperboy, evening TV....." Haha
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Evening TV still exists mate

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Still around under a more PC name
Scallywags now I believe.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

julian87 wrote:for me, this thread begins and ends with lollies from target that you had to fit into a plastic cup. there was an art to it.
:lol: the glory days.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

I think it was K-mart though, Julian
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Tim W wrote:When KFC in general was good
It's just awful these days isn't it?

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Kentucky Fried Chicken >>>>>> KFC
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Apparently you will not see the word "chicken" in any KFC advertising. I've havent taken much notice but the franchise was always known as Kentucky Fried Chicken but know known as KFC. Also on their instore menus and junk mail the word chicken has disappeared.
Hence 3 piece box etc.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

green94 wrote:Apparently you will not see the word "chicken" in any KFC advertising. I've havent taken much notice but the franchise was always known as Kentucky Fried Chicken but know known as KFC. Also on their instore menus and junk mail the word chicken has disappeared.
Hence 3 piece box etc.
Popcorn chicken?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Albi?
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Toviii wrote:
green94 wrote:Apparently you will not see the word "chicken" in any KFC advertising. I've havent taken much notice but the franchise was always known as Kentucky Fried Chicken but know known as KFC. Also on their instore menus and junk mail the word chicken has disappeared.
Hence 3 piece box etc.
Popcorn chicken?
yeah I get it. a mate bought it up and as I said I haven't paid much attention to it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:Evening TV still exists mate
lol, youngun!
"How did I get to livin here somebody tell me please"
Edrick The Entertainer