Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Cyclones won't come south, too much #NSWCourage scaring them off.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Post by Manbush »

green94 wrote:
Manbush wrote:
green94 wrote:Seriously why don't homes in AUS have basements ?
If I ever win lotto mine will have a secret basement that's for sure. :lol:
Ok Joseph Fritzel.
**** I set myself up well :lol:

Was thinking something that would require light proofing not sound proofing. :opps
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raider Bell wrote:Cyclones won't come south, too much #NSWCourage scaring them off.
That and Big Gal!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So it hit you with a Cat 3 Nickman?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well I see parallels between the Lindt Cafe Siege and Cyclone Marsha, but not the parallel that DJ is trying to make.

Both events were very real and very terrifying for those involved - those being the people in the cafe and their loved ones, and the people directly in the line of the cyclone (Yepoon, Rocky etc). Neither should have been terrifying for everyone else (the people of Sydney and Queensland), but the media has hyped it up to be.

My day started with a weather warning notice placed under my door by my building's management. Half the schools in the area didn't open today. Half my patients cancelled because of "the storms". I had a patient ring me, concerned about her family member being unwell, unsure if she should go to hospital because of "the storms". The restaurants and bars are deserted.

You know what has happened today with the weather? It has rained. It hasn't rained heavily. It has been windy. There certainly has been no "the storms". I'm not sure much rain has fallen, its been pretty steady, but there is less water about than the rain before Australia Day. The cyclone is over 500km away. Granted the residual cyclone cell will hit us tomorrow, but the media have us believing today will be Armageddon, and people bought it hook line and sinker.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yeah we had a few cancellations today and the city was pretty dead by normal standards, rained consistently since late last night but nothing major.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I honestly couldn't believe that all of these schools closed. There was always this rumour when I was a kid that school would be cancelled if it hit 40C. It never did. It was however a ridiculous decision today. Nobody was ever in any danger, and there was no flooding. All it did was inconvenience a whole lot of parents, and people relying on those parents when they had to take the day off work.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote:There was always this rumour when I was a kid that school would be cancelled if it hit 40C. It never did.
That was the **** worst. We had that too, and every 40+ day in Penrith (usually 3-4+ a year) we'd all just be on edge waiting for announcement that we were being sent home... and yet, nothing. **** *****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When I was a kid, there was no thought of air conditioning schools, this is in Brisbane, and absolutely no thought of calling school off if it got too hot. No thought of heating for winter either.

NEK MINNUT I'm driving to work this week and there's a huge debate about the lack of air conditioning maintenance and investment in ACT schools for about the five minutes of the school year that it is hot! And inadequate maintenance of heating for winter. Everyone agreed on the radio that the temperature has to be exactly right for creating the right "learning environment".
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

They're soft these days
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote:When I was a kid, there was no thought of air conditioning schools, this is in Brisbane, and absolutely no thought of calling school off if it got too hot. No thought of heating for winter either.

NEK MINNUT I'm driving to work this week and there's a huge debate about the lack of air conditioning maintenance and investment in ACT schools for about the five minutes of the school year that it is hot! And inadequate maintenance of heating for winter. Everyone agreed on the radio that the temperature has to be exactly right for creating the right "learning environment".

When you look at some Queenslanders I think ACT has made a very valid point..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

My school had heaters but not air conditioners. I'd say heating is essential in Canberra schools.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:When I was a kid, there was no thought of air conditioning schools, this is in Brisbane, and absolutely no thought of calling school off if it got too hot. No thought of heating for winter either.

When you look at most Queenslanders I think ACT has made a very valid point..
Fixed
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Schifty wrote:

When you look at all Queenslanders I think ACT has made a very valid point..
Fixed
Fixed.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Schifty wrote:

When you look at all Queenslanders I think ACT has made a very valid point..
Fixed
Fixed.
I'd like to personally thank you for correcting my error.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I want you to know that you've all broken GH guidelines and I'm very disappointed.

* if you are quoting another member's post, you should not alter the original wording (though you may shorten to focus on the particular words you wish to quote);

http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=10740
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

GE on the Nek Minnut train :lol: :lol:

**** brilliant!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote:I want you to know that you've all broken GH guidelines and I'm very disappointed.

* if you are quoting another member's post, you should not alter the original wording (though you may shorten to focus on the particular words you wish to quote);

OK Boss..

Schifty wrote:

When you look at Queenslanders I think ACT has made a very valid point..
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I think GE should take 'nek minnut' to the old spelling and grammar thread. Kids these days just can't spell like we used to.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote:I want you to know that you've all broken GH guidelines and I'm very disappointed.

Says the man who posted about Ragnor Lothbrock in the Raiders forums :roll:

I guess the rules only apply to some
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That very directly related to the Raiders, thanks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not sure how this thread ended up being about cyclones, but I presume/hope The Nickman is OK after getting through the first half of the storm. Sounds pretty full on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah I'm all good, thank Seiff. Was pretty full on there for a while and we still have no power and sporadic Internet, but we're all alive and well
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I was really worried for you mate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thanks Begs. Did you see my videos on Facebook?? She was some serious stuff there for a while. It was pretty exhilarating stuff but there were definite periods there where I was like "ok, I think this is enough, I'd like to stop now"
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Mrs Pommelhorse? I'd like to get down now.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People who are not Queenslanders don't understand cyclones. Do you have power yet Nick? I thought that huge pine was going over...
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

greeneyed wrote:People who are not Queenslanders don't understand cyclones. Do you have power yet Nick? I thought that huge pine was going over...
because NT and WA aren't regularly hit? We had two cyclones hit when I was living in Exmouth
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brewdle wrote:
greeneyed wrote:People who are not Queenslanders don't understand cyclones. Do you have power yet Nick? I thought that huge pine was going over...
because NT and WA aren't regularly hit? We had two cyclones hit when I was living in Exmouth
Sorry I should have said NSWelshmen and Victorians.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote:
Brewdle wrote:
Using the Cyclone to take cheap shots at other states.

Citizens expect better of their elected leaders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Brewdle wrote:

I can't help it if NSW and Victoria don't have cyclones and don't understand the horror that the cyclone warning whoops bring. I wasn't taking the cheap shots, just rebutting some cheap shots at someone who has just been through a category four storm.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nah we don't have power yet and it's stinking hot here tonight too.

Yeah the big pine has a huge lean on it too! Should see the devastation around Rocky, there's just trees down everywhere. The estimates for the power are anywhere from three days to two weeks
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Once I get near a computer GE I'll post my videos to YouTube and put them up in the Weather thread
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:
Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Brewdle wrote:

I can't help it if NSW and Victoria don't have cyclones and don't understand the horror that the cyclone warning whoops bring. I wasn't taking the cheap shots, just rebutting some cheap shots at someone who has just been through a category four storm.
Shouldn't that be North Qlders GE, don't really get cyclones in Brisbane area or Gold Coast, meaning the majority of Qlders don't understand cyclones.

Ps Nickman went through a category 3 not 4
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It was absolutely a 4 when it hit us, Bushy. Downgraded to a 3 before the eye went over the top but it was still a 4 when most of the fun and games were happening