Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Are you a GH Lurker?

Post by Matt »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I've met two Nicks from this site (excluding me)

They've all been absolute **** (including me)
My boss is a Nick (the one mentioned in ruined/made thread), must be something to do with the name, if anyone wants their son to be a **** just name them Nick.
Got a brother named Nick. Him living in Malaysia, QLD, France, QLD and now Belgium over the last decade has made him much easier to tolerate.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:I actually thought GE would have purchased a Subaru. I've no idea why
Why would I buy one of those?
Coz they are great vehicles! Tough as old boots and run forever.
I beg to differ. Get a Landcruiser if you want a tough as nails vehicle.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Welcome Famous Lucy!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:Welcome Famous Lucy!
Unlikely. Mortimer used, you know, grown up words and grammar and stuff.

Welcome, Mortimer. I look forward to your posts as the season unfolds!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He just can't stay away can he
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have to admit, this de-lurking campaign has worked on me. Very well played. I believe GE posed a few questions to us former lurkers on the first page, so I will try to address these.

1. How long have you been reading The Greenhouse?

This may seem stalkerish, but I believe I've been reading since maybe 2004-2005, back when people would be discussing the merits (or not) of Tyran Smith and Ian Hindmarsh. Just to get my head around things did Raider 69 become Nick then become Pigman? Is Buc Nasty now Rodman? What happened to Bay 56? Is Question a real person

2. How long have you been a Raiders fan?

My parents grew up in Canberra so I always followed them, but only started getting serious in the early 2000s when virtual rugby league started to gain traction with my friendship group. Then, during Uni at UC, I worked security during Raiders games. Had the pleasure of working the turnstiles then walking the field of play. I once delivered a perfect spiral pass to Monnas when the ball was kicked dead (Monnas then just threw it away). Managed to flirt with Germ's wife while working outside the change rooms (on a separate occasion at North Bar, he hit me in the head accidentally when describing why he shouldn't have been suspended for a high tackle on Shayne Dunley). I also received a sincere apology from Alan Tongue when I told him his injury was affecting my virtual team (such a ridiculously nice guy).

3. Who's your favourite Raiders player of all time?

From personal experience, Troy Thompson. He used to live next door to me in the Fern Hill part of Bruce. It was him and Adam Mogg in the apartment. He was always so nice, invited me around to hang out during the day, offered to make me sandwiches, gave me lifts to the game, was a gentlemen with everyone he met and would always remember everyone's names. Plus he was hilarious. Seriously, one of the nicest people I've ever met. From a playing perspective though, I always enjoyed Ruben Wiki.

Anyway, you probably won't hear a great deal from me. I'm currently living in London so don't see much of the game other than highlights. I have no particular knowledge of the game itself, so I'm tactically inept. I just like watching the Raiders (but at times I also hate watching the Raiders).

That's enough from me. You probably think I'm boring already. Matt, do you have stats on the longest first post?
:welcome: FM

The simple fact you mentioned my name meant I had to approve :lol:

As for longest 1st post, this would be up there, but I do remember someone writing a 'Matt styled' essay post. Cant remember who is was, but it was an epic novel.

Great that you answered a few Qs too. I feel as though you have been here forever already.

I do believe that is a perfect description of the persona evolution that is Piggy.
Buc to Rod sounds about right too.
Bay 56 is still around, but I think he posts more on the NFL thread than any other these days.
Question is, and has always been, just a figment of the GH subconscious :P
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

T_R wrote:
Unlikely. Mortimer used, you know, grown up words and grammar and stuff.
It was polite and well reasoned too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahaha so I'm not the only one who thought that when I read that post??

Good grief, what is wrong with the guy??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:He just can't stay away can he
I genuinely believe it's some kind of illness, dubs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Manchild wrote:
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
dubby wrote:I actually thought GE would have purchased a Subaru. I've no idea why
My Grandfather owned a farm between Hall and Murrumbateman for the best part of 40 years. Had Subaru's the whole time, couldnt fault them - Brumbies, Liberties etc etc. He still has a Forester, not that he drives much these days. Our family is onto its 3rd, my wife had an Impreza, that she bought for her Uni grad present to herself, got written off last yr. We replaced it with an XV and I drive a Forester XT. Love them.

Landcruisers are tanks!
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Matt wrote:
Manchild wrote:
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
My Grandfather owned a farm between Hall and Murrumbateman for the best part of 40 years. Had Subaru's the whole time, couldnt fault them - Brumbies, Liberties etc etc. He still has a Forester, not that he drives much these days. Our family is onto its 3rd, my wife had an Impreza, that she bought for her Uni grad present to herself, got written off last yr. We replaced it with an XV and I drive a Forester XT. Love them.

Landcruisers are tanks!
I will agree that the Brumbies were/are a great car but the rest of those buckets wouldn't have last a week out on the station here. You would be lucky to get up the driveway in the wet season.
Famous Mortimer
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Troy Thompson

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The Nickman wrote:
Hahahaha so I'm not the only one who thought that when I read that post??

Good grief, what is wrong with the guy??
I categorically deny any connection to 'Lucy'. But I guess Lucy would say that...
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

The Nickman wrote:
thedevilingreen wrote:hey I lurked for ages before I actually joined up.... I'm just gonna put it out there I find Nickman amusing. Be gentle.
Thanks TheEvilGreenman, I've always enjoyed your posts too!!
Stop people will think I'm part of your clique
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Matt wrote:
Manchild wrote:
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Landcruisers are tanks!
I've had two, my98 club spec Evo 2 wrx... It was **** though due to previous owner and me being a noob.
Then got a my02 STi and sunk tens of thousands into it... Awesome car.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have to admit, this de-lurking campaign has worked on me. Very well played. I believe GE posed a few questions to us former lurkers on the first page, so I will try to address these.

1. How long have you been reading The Greenhouse?

This may seem stalkerish, but I believe I've been reading since maybe 2004-2005, back when people would be discussing the merits (or not) of Tyran Smith and Ian Hindmarsh. Just to get my head around things did Raider 69 become Nick then become Pigman? Is Buc Nasty now Rodman? What happened to Bay 56? Is Question a real person

2. How long have you been a Raiders fan?

My parents grew up in Canberra so I always followed them, but only started getting serious in the early 2000s when virtual rugby league started to gain traction with my friendship group. Then, during Uni at UC, I worked security during Raiders games. Had the pleasure of working the turnstiles then walking the field of play. I once delivered a perfect spiral pass to Monnas when the ball was kicked dead (Monnas then just threw it away). Managed to flirt with Germ's wife while working outside the change rooms (on a separate occasion at North Bar, he hit me in the head accidentally when describing why he shouldn't have been suspended for a high tackle on Shayne Dunley). I also received a sincere apology from Alan Tongue when I told him his injury was affecting my virtual team (such a ridiculously nice guy).

3. Who's your favourite Raiders player of all time?

From personal experience, Troy Thompson. He used to live next door to me in the Fern Hill part of Bruce. It was him and Adam Mogg in the apartment. He was always so nice, invited me around to hang out during the day, offered to make me sandwiches, gave me lifts to the game, was a gentlemen with everyone he met and would always remember everyone's names. Plus he was hilarious. Seriously, one of the nicest people I've ever met. From a playing perspective though, I always enjoyed Ruben Wiki.

Anyway, you probably won't hear a great deal from me. I'm currently living in London so don't see much of the game other than highlights. I have no particular knowledge of the game itself, so I'm tactically inept. I just like watching the Raiders (but at times I also hate watching the Raiders).

That's enough from me. You probably think I'm boring already. Matt, do you have stats on the longest first post?
Welcome Famous Mortimer. :welcome:
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Matt wrote:
Manchild wrote:
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Landcruisers are tanks!
Which one? Farm I mean. There's been a few for sale recently. If you want to say of course.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Mortimer is so Lucy.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Homer
David Grant
Favourite Player: Alan Tongue

Post by Homer »

iLurk

I read the forums every few days, but don't post often. Disappointed as the Raiders don't play in Townsville this year, but it may actually motivate me to finally make the trip to Canberra for a game.
Beast Mode
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Lachlan Croker

Post by Beast Mode »

Matt wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Joining in. Yaaaaayyyy!ImageHaving my first season back as a fan after working in the NRL for a few seasons, so figured I'd keep off forums and such to remain unbiased.
But now I'm back with my often aggressive opinions on everything from the Raiders to what you should have for lunch!
:welcome: Beast Mode.
Even if he is a retiring, grumpy, Seahawk.
I named my business after him a few years ago when he was in his prime. Pretty cool seeing Beast Mode splashed over everything now that he is retiring [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Beast Mode wrote:
Matt wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Joining in. Yaaaaayyyy!ImageHaving my first season back as a fan after working in the NRL for a few seasons, so figured I'd keep off forums and such to remain unbiased.
But now I'm back with my often aggressive opinions on everything from the Raiders to what you should have for lunch!
I named my business after him a few years ago when he was in his prime. Pretty cool seeing Beast Mode splashed over everything now that he is retiring [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
Supplements?
Edrick The Entertainer
Beast Mode
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Lachlan Croker

Post by Beast Mode »

bonehead wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:
Matt wrote:
Supplements?
Nah, Beast Mode Personal Training. There are a few different Beast Mode businesses running around [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
Pouwelsy
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Pouwelsy »

I've been lurking ever since someone from here tracked me down via twitter after fox sports had named me in the 2012 Raiders squad due to a wikipedia edit. http://www.thegreenhouseact.com.au/foru ... 5&p=675583
Loz's preview and the above thread is a story I've shared many times. Absolute Raiders tragic and love reading through the game threads post match. Way too emotional and reactionary to post in them during the games.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

:roflmao

That's brilliant. Did you get in the team photo too?

What I would pay to have my name listed in the Raiders squad in the Fox Sports preview. It's still on the web BTW http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 1455523776

:clap:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pouwelsy wrote:I've been lurking ever since someone from here tracked me down via twitter after fox sports had named me in the 2012 Raiders squad due to a wikipedia edit. http://www.thegreenhouseact.com.au/foru ... 5&p=675583
Loz's preview and the above thread is a story I've shared many times. Absolute Raiders tragic and love reading through the game threads post match. Way too emotional and reactionary to post in them during the games.
Oh, that's right!
rovert
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by rovert »

I'm Rovert and I'm a GH lurker............ DON'T LOOK AT ME... I'M HIDEOUS.

Anyway I've been a raiders fan for around 30 years and still remember going to my first game when my old man took me out to Seiffert oval for a game against easts in 86. I still follow the raiders today because they won that day, they had a good run of finals footy about the time I was getting into league and most of all Dad would have disowned me if I followed anyone else.

I was only a very occasional lurker till mid 2014 when I found entire threads confirming my feelings of how much Mcrone was stinking up the place I knew that in amongst all the dribble, trash talk, in jokes and cliques I could find words of truth and wisdom here at the GH, since that time I've slowly become a regular lurker. I've now signed up to say Hi and start to contribute my own trash talk and dribble.......doubt I'll contribute much wisdom.

I'd like to thank everyone at the GH for helping me endure the emotional ups and downs that was 2015 and look forward to sharing what looks to be a much more promising 2016.

I recon we've got a good chance of top 4 this year but I've been a raiders fan for a while now so I'm also preparing myself for the spoon.
PS hurry up and start the season already ****.
The last thing I remember is me saying "hold my beer and watch this".
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

rovert wrote:I'm Rovert and I'm a GH lurker............ DON'T LOOK AT ME... I'M HIDEOUS.

Anyway I've been a raiders fan for around 30 years and still remember going to my first game when my old man took me out to Seiffert oval for a game against easts in 86. I still follow the raiders today because they won that day, they had a good run of finals footy about the time I was getting into league and most of all Dad would have disowned me if I followed anyone else.

I was only a very occasional lurker till mid 2014 when I found entire threads confirming my feelings of how much Mcrone was stinking up the place I knew that in amongst all the dribble, trash talk, in jokes and cliques I could find words of truth and wisdom here at the GH, since that time I've slowly become a regular lurker. I've now signed up to say Hi and start to contribute my own trash talk and dribble.......doubt I'll contribute much wisdom.

I'd like to thank everyone at the GH for helping me endure the emotional ups and downs that was 2015 and look forward to sharing what looks to be a much more promising 2016.

I recon we've got a good chance of top 4 this year but I've been a raiders fan for a while now so I'm also preparing myself for the spoon.
PS hurry up and start the season already ****.
:welcome:
Welcome to the big green cyber ball of crazy that is the GH.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Welcome rovert, one thing ill say is that there sre few here that contribute any football wisdom, yet participating in the jokes is much more enjoyable than lurking them
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm glad Hodgson is benefitting from a full pre season
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

the more people posting who are not in the clique the better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And for the uninitiated: The clique = everybody who's not papabear or IronRaiden apparently.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I think they are generally referred to as the wolf pack of one.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

pickles wrote:I think they are generally referred to as the wolf pack of one.
El solo lobo...
How soon IS now?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote:And for the uninitiated: The clique = everybody who's not papabear or IronRaiden apparently.
No, but you are definately in it.

Well actually you are trying to be in it. I am not sure if the leaders of the great clique have accepted you yet.

But from where I sit you seem to be down the bottom of the clique.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Who's in this clique?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Matt wrote:
Manchild wrote:
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Landcruisers are tanks!
Spent three grand on a head gasket recently ?