The Politics Thread 2015

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

The Politics Thread 2015

Post by IronRaiden »

Don't knock the Green Left Weekly, it's an unbiased, comprehensively reviewed and objective look at today's issues and ranks right up there with The Australian, Crikey and anything Andrew Dolt writes.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by T_R »

In 1257 pages of insanely ill-considered commentary, IronRaiden has just come in and dominated the field in a single post.

Respect.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

Well that's twice as much as you for today.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What in the hell is going on in that photo??
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I too would really love to know the context behind the photo.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Isn't that photo pretty much self explanatory?
He's got some food on his finger and is eating it... i mean, i dont think we need a crack team of investigators to figure this one out, lads.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Better eating cake off fingers than Rudds earwax, that image will alway be Rudds defining moment in my eyes.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:Isn't that photo pretty much self explanatory?
He's got some food on his finger and is eating it... i mean, i dont think we need a crack team of investigators to figure this one out, lads.
WHY DOES THE CAKE SAY BOOB?!?
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

The Nickman wrote:
I assume it has something to do with today being the pink day of the Sydney test- ie a breast cancer charity fundraiser.

Also, boobs are great, why shouldn't a cake say boob
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:
If you've got a problem with boobs, you've got a problem with me
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Nothing to that photo. Simply having a light meal before he went to chase some tail.

bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Toviii wrote:I too would really love to know the context behind the photo.
He was invited to judge a cake decorating competition at a fund raiser for the McGrath Foundation.

Pretty standard stuff, really.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Thanks. Carry on, Tones
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Toviii wrote:Thanks. Carry on, Tones
EDIT

Never mind.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2015 NRL All Stars

Post by dubby »

Here's an example.

My mates wife enrolled their daughter at a very high quality school. In the enrolment there was a question "do you identify as indigenous ". She ticked "yes" because she thought she had a cousin who was part indigenous. Their daughter was offered a 50%scholarship and my mate never had to prove their claim as indigenous.

It has nothing to do with skin colour, which is what you were angling at before.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

dubby wrote:Here's an example.

My mates wife enrolled their daughter at a very high quality school. In the enrolment there was a question "do you identify as indigenous ". She ticked "yes" because she thought she had a cousin who was part indigenous. Their daughter was offered a 50%scholarship and my mate never had to prove their claim as indigenous.

It has nothing to do with skin colour, which is what you were angling at before.
I know it's an example but what a load of **** how many people do you know that think they might be indigenous?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Remarkable gift to look like a complete ****wit judging a cake decorating competition for charity.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Just found out there is an election on up here this month.

Only found out because someone came knocking at my door campaigning and I politely closed it
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Wonder if Nickman has been practicing EDIT for his ballot paper again?
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

It would be an "I heart Erin" now.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Probably combine the two
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

So instead of an arrow through the heart it'll be something else.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
GreenSquad Goldcoast
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by GreenSquad Goldcoast »

Deadly EdLee wrote:
86 invader wrote:
dubby wrote:
GreenSquad Goldcoast wrote:Just notice josh Hoffman is in the indigenous squad! I thought he was a kiwi :? :hmmm
Mate, this will be politically incorrect, but anyone who has looked at an indigenous flag is indigenous.
He's born in Mackay to an indigenous mother and a kiwi father... Really not a hard one to grasp...
Unless your dubby.
I do realise this mate , I was just taking the piss out of the international eligibility rules :clap: :welcome:
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

I actually think that was dubbys point. That people will do whatever they can to have what they aren't really entitled to. Not just in footy, but in life. (My first thought in this case was of Nathan Fien and the grannygate scandal.)

Honestly, some of you people act very precious at times, quick to take the moral high ground and assume the worst in a person. I agree it wasn't dubby's smartest ever post, but I never at all thought he was having a go at indigenous Australians.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Deadly EdLee wrote:

I know it's an example but what a load of **** how many people do you know that think they might be indigenous?
I'll answer this; none. And if you claim to be of a particular heritage and gain financial benefit from it......shouldn't you be required to offer proof?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Phantom wrote:
I'll answer this; none. And if you claim to be of a particular heritage and gain financial benefit from it......shouldn't you be required to offer proof?
As an aside to the conversation, I'm not sure HOW you 'prove' race in Australia. I don't have anything in front of me, but I can't recall any documents that my race is listed on and I am quite sure that I don't have anything that my parent's and grandparent's race is listed on.

We actually were asked this question when my kids enrolled for school, and I didn't fill the info in. I'm honestly not sure how to answer it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

The Phantom wrote:
Deadly EdLee wrote:

This is such a ridiculous post.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Well, here I was thinking I was the forums biggest idiot.

There are a couple in here who have surpassed any level I could reach. Well in.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

T_R wrote:
The Phantom wrote:
As an aside to the conversation, I'm not sure HOW you 'prove' race in Australia. I don't have anything in front of me, but I can't recall any documents that my race is listed on and I am quite sure that I don't have anything that my parent's and grandparent's race is listed on.

We actually were asked this question when my kids enrolled for school, and I didn't fill the info in. I'm honestly not sure how to answer it.
Allow me to clarify.

An example was provided where person A identified as Indigenous, even though this person was not Indigenous it seems but had a cousin(?) who they thought was Indigenous?

As a result of this claim, (if I understand the story correctly) they received a 50% scholarship for the education.

Now, no proof was offered. Just tick the box, and hey presto you gain a financial bonus or reward or whatever you want to call it.

I ask you........is that even fair? Or right? Anyone (including those who are not Indigenous) could dishonestly claim that scholarship as person A did.

Should there not be some kind of evidence? Something to make claims legitimate, as to prevent people making fraudulent claims in future?

I am no expert on Indigenous claims and ancestry, but I would hope there is a way you can determine where your people come from. Like most people, we are curious to know our heritage.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Requiring proof is ridiculous? But why? In Australia we expect people to substantiate claims for all sorts of things if they're seeking to claim benefits from it.

If there was an arrangement by which those of Polish heritage could seek benefits, shouldn't I be expected, when applying for said benefit, to enclose a copy of Mum's birth certificate? Or is the relevant agency to simply take my word on it?
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

-GD- wrote:
The Phantom wrote:
Deadly EdLee wrote:

This is such a ridiculous post.
Don't you see that human nature means people will falsify all sorts of claims to gain an advantage? And its the tax payer who ends up paying for it. If you are happy to fund claims to dishonest people, I'm sure I could make the same statement you did; what a ridicules post.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

I guess I answered my own question:

Identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander has nothing to do with percentages or appearance. It is up to you whether you identify as Aboriginal and is about how you feel.

http://aiatsis.gov.au/_files/fhu/1%20FA ... entity.pdf

However, when it comes to written proof or evidence:

Confirmation of Aboriginality is sometimes required to ensure that programs that are intended for Aboriginal people reach Aboriginal people.

That statement sums it up for me. Person A was not Aboriginal. But was accepting a grant/scholarship as someone who is. I am all for helping our Indigenous, please understand that. I do get annoyed at people accepting Aboriginal grants when they aren't, however. I've visited Aboriginal communities and seen how different and challenging they are. Person A frustrates me though. She accepted a grant because (IMO) it saved her money. Not because she was passionate about or interested in our Indigenous people.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
The Phantom wrote:

Birth certificates, immigration documents, ask someone who has done a family tree. There are ways.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.